I never liked the BEASTIE BOYS

Comments

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    what has happened to mike d? it looks like he has aged about 30 years in the past little while.

Vegetarianism methinks.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Though it may kill to have to admit, I agree with Dolo's analysis. We need a "Coat Pulled" greamlim for situations just like this. The Eddy Jacobs 45 would be perfect for it.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    let's face it
    paul's boutique was a fluke
    [i can only listen to the instumental version which i don't have]
    if it wasn't for the dust brothers or mario that lp would have sucked as well
    i could never get beyond their horrible voices and lack of flow
    shit grates on me like fingernails on a blackboard

kala, why you be medlin' in the first place, all inst-t-gate n' and schitt.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i was at a work dinner a few months ago and the subject of white rappers came up with discussion of an upcoming paul wall show. i stated that paul wall was one of the very few white rappers that i could actually stand and at least four or five other people INSTANTLY namedropped the beastie boys and these are people who do not listen to rap at all. i just said i couldn't stand their voices and for the most part thought it was corny and dudes started getting all mad doggie. never really understood it.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    never really understood it.

well you kind answered your own dilemma. they dont listen to hip hop so how should they know what is cosidered what?

as for myself, of course i like the beastie boys. what kid didnt have License to Ill back in 87?

and i spent many stoned hours as a teenager listenin to pauls boutique.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    when i was a kid all my friends referred to the beasties as "whiteboy schitt". i couldn't stand them because of thier voices and didnt know jack about production back then so that didn't interest me.

it wasn't until years later that i saw pb at a used joint for $2 that i gave it a chance, and then realized that they were def ahead of thier time on the production side. (yeah, i know dust bros did the beats,but the beasties were the ones that realized the 'potential' of said beats. rakim said he could have made 15 albums off those beats.) bought 3 more of the beasties albums and wtill rock them to this day. the last 2 tho,

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    let's face it

Who or what do you like? I don't think I've ever read a positive post from you.

• wow. never met anyone that disliked the first album. peace, stein. . .

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    If you've seen them live then you will never hate on them again. Dudes know how to rock a show and bring it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    If you've seen them live then you will never hate on them again. Dudes know how to rock a show and bring it.

I can imagine very few things more unpleasant than a Beastie Boys show.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    let's face it

"the jews"

• If you've seen them live then you will never hate on them again. Dudes know how to rock a show and bring it.

Trip to the D&B perhaps?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts

No offense, but between you constantly renforcing your venomous hatred for the BBs and RHCP, it seems like you're trying to forget the similar things you liked when you were younger. There's nothing wrong with not liking the BB's nasally voices or their homophobe-to-humanist beliefs, but they are (were) good for what they are (were). No shame in having guilty pleasures either. To each their own, though.

• If you've seen them live then you will never hate on them again. Dudes know how to rock a show and bring it.

No offense, but between you constantly renforcing your venomous hatred for the BBs and RHCP, it seems like you're trying to forget the similar things you DID when you were younger.

*cough*noiseband!*cough*

No offense, but between you constantly reenforcing your venomous hatred for the BBs and RHCP, it seems like you're trying to forget the similar things you liked when you were younger. There's nothing wrong with not liking the BB's nasally voiced voices or their homophobe-to-humanist beliefs, but they are (were) good for what they are (were). No shame in having guilty pleasures either. To each their own, though.

Spare me the penny psychologizing.

If I actually did "constantly reenforce [my] venomous hatred"--i.e. post about disliking those artists anywhere but in two threads explicitly devoted to hating on them--you might have something resembling a point.

Not everybody claims to dislike things because they have a secret affection for them--some people are capable of being forthright about their likes and dislikes and I think I have a pretty consistent history of doing just that by sticking up for music that is generally reviled on this board.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    is it really that inconcievable that someone doesn't like both the beastie boys and red hot chili peppers? if anything, both of them are horrible wayyyyyyy past their time groups that simply have devout fanbases who think their music is something special

is it really that inconcievable that someone doesn't like both the beastie boys and red hot chili peppers?

Yes.

Now prepare for my shameful man crush on you to be revealed through a series of excoriating posts, because that's how I do--publicly hate upon that which I have great affection for.

No offense, but between you constantly renforcing your venomous hatred for the BBs and RHCP, it seems like you're trying to forget the similar things you DID when you were younger.

*cough*noiseband!*cough*

Haha--I recall my adolescent art projects with pride.

Now had I been a part of the clique of dudes at my high school who had a Beastie Boys cover band and called themselves "The Brooklyn Dust Posse," despite the fact that we were all in Lilburn, Georgia, I might indeed have something to hang my head about.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I like that whiteboy shit!

• yo pontecorvo! when i started reading all this blasphemy my first instinct was to post up the lyrics to carthief!!!!!!! you the man!

so many great lyrics on pauls boutique and liscened to ill...funny funny shit.
    TIME AND MONEY FOR GIRLS COVERED WITH HONEY!!!! hahahah WHAT!!!!!!!!!

i remember sixthgrade, girls coming back from the bb concerts talking about the giant dicks on stage and all kinds of mayhem. yo "Paul revere" was unescapable...it was everywhere and im not talking about frat boy partys. paul revere might have been written by rundmc or whoever, but everything about that song is the shit.

it took me a while to here pauls boutique,but i got no issues with that record at all. rhymes are fine and the lyrics were like a manual for my teenage years. plus, whenever i see one of those stupid cd jukeboxes these days, i look for pauls boutique so i can get my moneys worth with bboy bouillabase (and spottieottiedoalwhatev)

i remember cutting school, having a barbecue in the park and getting obliterated before the check your head concert at the trocadero. i got thrown out by bouncers twice, snuck back in and woke up with bruises all over my ribs from jumping off the stage and sshit. remember it like yesterday.

never listened to much of the other records post checkyourhead.

its real grade school to dis MUSIC because of the image you associate with it.
    who gives a fuck if they are corny dudes, or are hypocrites, or they changed their style over the last twenty years, or they are white or whatev. Have a couple beers, listen to "the new style" and stop being so self conscious, you twats

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    Have a couple beers, listen to "the new style" and stop being so self conscious, you twats

curtain drops..................the end

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I like the first two albums though. After that not so much.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Hello Nasty is a incredible album.
    I keep revisiting that it never gets tired to me.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    if u responded to this thread, they had an impact on you. and that quite frankly says it all.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I really can't listen to any of the old albums anymore, and
    I haven't even checked out the last two, but I won't even try
    to deny the impact that had on me in the 80's as a teenager.

One thing that really gets lost in retrospect is the time between
    the albums - being down with "Cookie Puss" and "She's On It", waiting
    for LTI to come out, and that record just completely blowing up ...
    then the insane delay of Paul's Boutique, only to be completely blown
    away by it. Like John Book brought up, the tour was cancelled and PB
    considered a massive failure within a couple of months after being released.
    The BB just disappeared ... for years.
    It kind of enhanced their image and made them seem underappreciated,
    at least at the time, until they blew-up again with CHY.

Of course nothing was going to surpass PB, but after waiting another
    3 years for anything, seeing the first video from CYH premiere on MTV
    was pretty cool - and I was definitely into CYH, if only because they
    had the nerve and smarts to change up their style again. The world had
    caught up to PB a bit by then, and by "the year punk broke" the return
    to their punk roots was both genuine and succesfully opportunistic.

Their humor and videos were always a big draw - if you were watching
    MTV mid-80's, those dudes popped up all the time with crazy shit, little
    skits out of nowhere or guest-hosting some shit and just acting bugged out.

And, like Kon already pointed out, despite where their success
    eventually settled, when LTI broke, just about anybody who was into
    rap was into their shit. "Hold It Now, Hit It" was some shit you'd hear
    in the streets right along with LL RUN DMC, etc.

They definitely should have hung it up by IC, and just kept making
    Grand Royal and putting out Sean Ono Lennon records, though.

• couldnt agree more with everythign you said

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Cosign! They put on a great show.
    1st Show='86/'87? Beasties/Fishbone/Murphy's Law=the keyboardist from Fishbone
    kicking my girlfriend in the head whenhe dove off the very top of the PA system,
    Dj Hurricane's six pack of Bud DJ stand, and the
    lingerie clad chick dancing in a cage!
    2nd='87/'88 Tougher Than Leather Tour with Run DMC Nuff said!
    3rd= '94=Hardcore interlude in Beasties set that included Minor Threat and Bad Brains covers.
    4th='95=Going on after P-Funk and keeping the place rocking, watching the shitty ass Smashing
    Pumpkins going through the motions while the place straight up emptied. Note to other band don't
    follow the BB's.
    5th='97=Mix Master Mike rocking "Tom Sawyer" doubles, in the round stage set up, Tribe as
    the opener on their last tour.

Don't know if I'd go see them again, sometimes it's best to keep the memories intact.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I was actually wondering this recently:

Is Licensed to Ill THE most sampled rap record of all time, or just one of them?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I was actually wondering this recently:

Is Licensed to Ill THE most sampled rap record of all time, or just one of them?

The Show/La-Di-Da-Di have to be up there.