NBA 2007/Second Half/Do The Math

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    If the Mav's are smart they will lost tonight to the Clippers......this way there is less of a chance they will meet the Warriors in the first round.

Haha. Are you serious? It doesn't matter who the Mavs play, that team gets one game at the most in the first round.

Do you give any opponent respect?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Don Nelson is a tricky muthafucka.

• If the Mav's are smart they will lost tonight to the Clippers......this way there is less of a chance they will meet the Warriors in the first round.

Haha. Are you serious? It doesn't matter who the Mavs play, that team gets one game at the most in the first round.

Of course I do. Go read the last 50 pages to see examples of me lauding other teams. I'll start giving teams 2+ games in the second round. Otherwise, I feel there's a reason those teams are the 8 seed. So sue me. I'm not the one to give you a rope to type "I smell fear".

The Mavs are 1-5 in their last 6 games against the Warriors.

I'd rather not face them in the first round.

If the Mav's are smart they will lost tonight to the Clippers......this way there is less of a chance they will meet the Warriors in the first round.

Of course I do. Go read the last 50 pages to see examples of me lauding other teams. I'll start giving teams 2+ games in the second round. Otherwise, I feel there's a reason those teams are the 8 seed. So sue me. I'm not the one to give you a rope to type "I smell fear".

No doubt. But you know if u play the Warriors in the first round your gonna see a gang of old film showing Avery sittin next to Nelly like Robin to Batman.....

"Holy 3 second violation Nelly!"

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

Uh oh, shook Mavs fan!! Now is not the time to start worrying dude, you and GP been talking your team up all season, you shouldn't be worried about losing in the 1st round to a team that's battling for the last seed... or should you??? Haha. Just messin' w/ ya.

This is what I'm now hoping for:

Mavs/Warriors
    Suns/Lakers or Suns/Nuggets
    Spurs/Nuggets or Spurs/Lakers
    Houston/Utah

It's hard to say which team I'd rather go against now between SA and PHX, they are both really good. I still think we have a better chance against PHX, SA is pretty damn tough in the playoffs, regardless of the regular season.

The Mavs should destroy the Clippers tonight. At home, no less. I don't think y'all are losing that one.

• The Mavs are 1-5 in their last 6 games against the Warriors.

I see where you're coming from but we're talking about a squad that is supposed to be in the WCF and the Finals. To say I'm "worried" about the first round team....can't do it. And I'm not. That's bully for the Warriors that they've been able to do that and I give them respect but the Mavs team is loaded w/ vets who knows what it takes and the Warriors have Steven Jackson and Baron Davis. Shit, those two will shoot their team out of two games minimum. In a seven game series, I give Nellie a game at most two.

Mark this post, Dubs fans. Maybe you'll make it and maybe you can make me eat some crow behind this but I'm confident right now.

I see where you're coming from but we're talking about a squad that is supposed to be in the WCF and the Finals.

Just like San Antonio and Detroit were "supposed" to be in the finals last year?

the Warriors have Steven Jackson and Baron Davis.

Al Harrington
    Monta Ellis
    Jason Richardson
    Andris Biendris

They have a team that matches up w/ the Mavs in an awkward way. You better do some research and dont look beyond anyone. Blind confidence vs. Reality.

• the Warriors have Steven Jackson and Baron Davis.

Al Harrington
    Monta Ellis
    Jason Richardson
    Andris Biendris

They have a team that matches up w/ the Mavs in an awkward way. You better do some research and dont look beyond anyone. Blind confidence vs. Reality.

Calm yrself down and go back about 3 weeks to the post where I pointed out each of GSWs players and gave them respect. Find someone else to try and rile, it ain't workin on me today Batmon. I said my peace. We can see if they make it and we can see how the series will go. It's not blind confidence, it's the analysis of a seven game series featuring a battle-tested squad that's been there and some what-will-then-be newjacks and a mad scientist coach. I'll take on any bets you wanna make for that series. It's not like I'm shouting "sweep" over here.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    The Mavs are 1-5 in their last 6 games against the Warriors.

I see where you're coming from but we're talking about a squad that is supposed to be in the WCF and the Finals. To say I'm "worried" about the first round team....can't do it. And I'm not. That's bully for the Warriors that they've been able to do that and I give them respect but the Mavs team is loaded w/ vets who knows what it takes and the Warriors have Steven Jackson and Baron Davis. Shit, those two will shoot their team out of two games minimum. In a seven game series, I give Nellie a game at most two.

Mark this post, Dubs fans. Maybe you'll make it and maybe you can make me eat some crow behind this but I'm confident right now.

if the warriors make the playoffs, and thats a big IF, the matchup will be very compelling. nelson will downright use some crazy ass trickery on yall!!! monta ellis on dirk for all i know. plus bierdrins will eat up your mavs bigmen fo sho. plus no back-to-backs so baron will be well rested.

now, with 5 games left, utah tonight, the warriors got an uphill battle. i was hoping the clips would start keeling over but damn them mofos be still ballin.

It's not blind confidence, it's the analysis of a seven game series featuring a battle-tested squad that's been there and some what-will-then-be newjacks and a mad scientist coach. I'll take on any bets you wanna make for that series.

But at the same time, there's something to be said for a team that may not even make the playoffs who your squad apparently can't beat in the regular season. And you're giving them one game max. I think if that series happens, it could very easily go to 7 games. The Warriors have nothing to lose. Making it to the playoffs is success for them. They will play you guys like madmen if they make it. It will be a good series. Your team isn't that experienced in the playoffs, so you really can't predict what will happen based solely off of last year's performance. I don't doubt the Mavs' ability to beat any given team in the first round, but I don't think the matchup against the Warriors would be as easy as you are making it out to be. Just my opinion though.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

i pray the warriors make the fuckin playoffs. longest draught in the league, plus that would be one hell of a first round series, with a chance to upset. don't be scurred.

Nobody gave the Denver Nuggets much of a chance at upsetting the Seattle SuperSonics in their First Round playoff series in 1994. The Sonics had just posted a franchise-record 63 victories, while the Nuggets had slipped into the playoffs with a ho-hum 42-40 record. Besides, no No. 8 seed had ever beaten a No. 1 seed since the NBA adopted its current playoff format in 1984

LaPhonso Ellis to Monta Ellis...

• Dawg. Mavs have been in the playoffs 8 straight years. For you to say the Mavs "aren't that experienced in the playoffs" is factually incorrect.

Devin Harris, third year player, has been each of his first two years for a total of six series. Dirk has about 25+ series. Josh about 8. Devean George. Jet has six. Damps has six. Stackhouse.

The team is in 9th place right now and y'all got them going seven w/ the Mavs.

damn dikembe was a young 45 back then

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    team isn't that experienced in the playoffs, so you really can't predict what will happen based solely off of last year's performance.

Uh-oh. Don your protective gear. I sense an imminent explosion. Possibly containing one or more of the following phrases:

"practicing freethrows in your Melo jersey"/"rigged"/"MVP"/"stats and tats"/"Harvey Hoopz"/"guff"/"hate"/"never won a series"

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

damn dikembe was a young 45 back then

slightly off topic, but has anyone else heard those "Who wants to sex Mutombo" georgetown stories?

urban legend?

Dawg. Mavs have been in the playoffs 8 straight years. For you to say the Mavs "aren't that experienced in the playoffs" is factually incorrect.

Devin Harris, third year player, has been each of his first two years for a total of six series. Dirk has about 25+ series. Josh about 8. Devean George. Jet has six. Damps has six. Stackhouse.

The team is in 9th place right now and y'all got them going seven w/ the Mavs.

hahaha yeah i can dream cant i?!!! how is josh howards ankle? yall need to rest your players except tonight when you play the clips.

• I hope the Warriors do make it. Would love to play 'em and it would be entertaining. "To be the man, you got to beat the man." If the Warriors are the "man" of the first round, then let's do this.

What were you thinking typing that foolishness, Rock??

Dawg. Mavs have been in the playoffs 8 straight years. For you to say the Mavs "aren't that experienced in the playoffs" is factually incorrect.

Coach ain't experienced though. And how do you figure Dirk has been in more than 25 playoff series'? That would mean making it to the finals almost every year he's played. You must mean playoff games. And Stack has been with you, what, 3 years? Devin Harris only been in the league 3 years, Howard only about 4 years, etc. All I'm saying is they aren't a team you can predict in the playoffs like the Spurs. Yes they have experience, but they have some young guys that they rely on a lot as well. I'm just saying your team isn't a given to take it. They're still gonna have to work for it.

• Interesting takes from Kerr. It should be known that Kerr to this day still wears his lil black and silver Spurs panties.

Playoff sneak peek

By Steve Kerr, Yahoo! Sports

SAN ANTONIO ??? The matchup appears inevitable, complete with all its nuances: the total contrast in styles, Steve Nash's brilliance against Tony Parker's speed, the methodical dominance of Tim Duncan against the explosive youth of Amare Stoudemire and Gregg Popovich's defensive obsession against Mike D'Antoni's need for high-scoring, frenetic basketball.

It's all there, and in all likelihood we're going to see it live and in color in a best-of-seven series sometime in May.

On Thursday night we got a sneak preview of that potential playoff matchup, and if the San Antonio Spurs' 92-85 win over the Phoenix Suns proved anything, it's that San Antonio might be the only team in the NBA that can slow the Suns down.

The two clubs are locked in as the No. 2 and No. 3 seeds in the Western Conference, so barring a major first-round upset, they will meet in the West semifinals. Phoenix's main focus in the final two weeks of the season is securing the two spot, which carries with it the home-court advantage in an eventual series with the Spurs. But San Antonio kept that race alive with Thursday's win and is now within range of the Suns, sitting just two games back and owning the tiebreaker in case the teams are even in the standings. With seven games remaining, Phoenix doesn't have much breathing room trying to secure that second seed.

Of more concern for the Suns, though, is the manner in which the Spurs controlled the tempo Thursday night.

For most of the game, Phoenix's vaunted running attack was held in check. San Antonio used its execution in the half court to slow things down, accomplishing that task by taking care of the ball and establishing Tim Duncan in the post. Tony Parker attacked when he had an advantage and got plenty of easy hoops in scoring a season-high 35 points, but in the half court, the Spurs opted not to launch quick jump shots that might result in rebounds and fast breaks. Instead, they went to Duncan, who had his way with Stoudemire and Boris Diaw.

Unable to deal with Duncan by using smaller defenders, the Suns were forced to counter with Kurt Thomas. While Thomas did a great job defensively on Duncan, his presence meant Phoenix couldn't go with its small, quick lineup to expose matchups and quicken the pace. The result was a tempo that San Antonio was very comfortable with.

Therein lies the rub for the Suns: If they go small, they can't guard Duncan. If they put Thomas in the game, they can't run. That's why the Spurs have been the one NBA team capable of slowing down Phoenix the past couple of years. And by keeping the Suns in the half court, San Antonio has been able to deny them open looks at three-pointers.

Much of Phoenix's success in recent years has come from its firepower from the three-point line. Against the rest of the league the last three seasons, the Suns have averaged 25 three-point attempts, making about 10 per game. Against San Antonio, those numbers are down considerably ??? 16 three-point attempts and fewer than six made per game (they made just two of 11 Thursday). Without a big three-point advantage or many open-court opportunities, Phoenix has been unable to play its customary relentless style against the Spurs. That's why San Antonio has now won 15 of the last 19 meetings between the two clubs, including the playoffs.

With all that said, and with the Suns shooting a mere 38.6 percent Thursday night, Phoenix was still within four points at 84-80 late in the game. The Spurs needed to make a couple of big stops late to secure the victory. If you're the Suns, you walk away thinking, "Wow, we played horribly and we had a chance to win." But the reality is, if San Antonio plays its style and doesn't allow Phoenix to shoot threes or get out in transition over an entire seven-game series, the Spurs are going to win. That's their style ??? it's what they do.

For the Suns to beat San Antonio, Amare Stoudemire has to be able to defend Duncan. Thomas will be counted on during certain possessions, but if Stoudemire can hold his own defensively and stay on the floor, Phoenix is more likely to play the game at its pace.

The Suns can slide Shawn Marion to the four, put three guards on the court and try to run and shoot like crazy. And with the Spurs so focused on staying home with three-point shooters, Stoudemire can use the open space in the lane to attack the rim. That's what he did in the teams' 2005 West finals series ??? won 4-1 by San Antonio ??? when he averaged 37 points a game. Thursday was a different story, however. Stoudemire scored only 15 points on 7-of-19 shooting, and he was never a factor.

This game was a barometer of sorts for each club, and the Spurs liked what they saw. Phoenix, on the other hand, found out it is going to have to make some adjustments if it's going to beat San Antonio. The first order of business is to try to secure the two seed and the home-court advantage. But if this matchup occurs in May, the Suns will have to figure out how to play their game ??? not San Antonio's.

• Dawg. Mavs have been in the playoffs 8 straight years. For you to say the Mavs "aren't that experienced in the playoffs" is factually incorrect.

Coach ain't experienced though. And how do you figure Dirk has been in more than 25 playoff series'? That would mean making it to the finals almost every year he's played. You must mean playoff games. And Stack has been with you, what, 3 years? Devin Harris only been in the league 3 years, Howard only about 4 years, etc. All I'm saying is they aren't a team you can predict in the playoffs like the Spurs. Yes they have experience, but they have some young guys that they rely on a lot as well. I'm just saying your team isn't a given to take it. They're still gonna have to work for it.

Okay. Dirk has 14. When you're talking about 3rd and 4th year players that have 5+ series under their belt, that's playoff experience.

Of course the team is going to have to work for it. It's this specific matchup that has y'all so geeked. In general, to talk about a #1 seed dispatching an #8 seed in five games is by no means a stretch.

Of course the team is going to have to work for it. It's this specific matchup that has y'all so geeked. In general, to talk about a #1 seed dispatching an #8 seed in five games is by no means a stretch.

Except wehen your team can't beat that team in the regular season...

• Of course the team is going to have to work for it. It's this specific matchup that has y'all so geeked. In general, to talk about a #1 seed dispatching an #8 seed in five games is by no means a stretch.

BATMON, I think this is where you come in.

haha, all in good fun, my friend. i gotta defend the underdogs, dogs!

• haha, all in good fun, my friend. i gotta defend the underdogs, dogs!

This I know. I'm just kickin the real for y'all whether you choose to believe it or not.

BATMON, I think this is where you come in.

THE REGULAR SEASON DONT MEAN SHIT

This would give the Warriors a mental advantage, but Nelly would probably let them know that what they did in the past only holds so much weight in the Post-Season. And I know Dirk & them are not gonna be shook no matter what the public thinks/says about the proposed matchup. The "drama" surrounding the matchup makes for an entertaining side story IMO...that's all.

team isn't that experienced in the playoffs, so you really can't predict what will happen based solely off of last year's performance.

Uh-oh. Don your protective gear. I sense an imminent explosion. Possibly containing one or more of the following phrases:

"practicing freethrows in your Melo jersey"/"rigged"/"MVP"/"stats and tats"/"Harvey Hoopz"/"guff"/"hate"/"never won a series"

Harvey Hoops....those quotes are all mine, not GP's.......and I'm just a realist, the Warriors seem to have our #.......and I would rather not face them.

maybe I should root for 4 teams so if 3 lose I can still ride with the 4th.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Harvey Hoops....those quotes are all mine, not GP's.......and I'm just a realist, the Warriors seem to have our #.......and I would rather not face them.

maybe I should root for 4 teams so if 3 lose I can still ride with the 4th.

Yeah, I know--what can I say?

GP is considerably more reasonable than you and has therefore not provided me with nearly as many great quotables. This is one statistical category where you pretty much lead the league.