NBA 2007/Second Half/Do The Math

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Who was the first european star? Petrovic? Vlade?

That's a tough call...I'm thinking it's Petrovic (that dude was COLD!) or maybe Sarunas Marciulionis? Detlef Schrempf did his thing, too.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

That's a tough call...I'm thinking it's Petrovic (that dude was COLD!) or maybe Sarunas Marciulionis? Detlef Schrempf did his thing, too.

Shrempf played college ball in the states. If we are talking about straight european imports i would think Petrovic (who got drafted in '86) might be the first all-star caliber euro dude. Vlade was big time too. Sarunas had skills but i dont think he was ever an all-star, nor did he get the fame of the other guys who have been mentioned.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I think the below dude was the best foreign player until Dirk.....

Unfortunately he didn't play in the NBA until the mid-90's....way after his prime.

In the mid-80's he would have been one of the top 3 players in the league if he had chosen to come over earlier(imo)

Ex-players and current players alike contend that Sabonis, fairly unknown in the U.S., would have been recognized as one of the top centers ever to play the game of basketball had he come to America in his prime. Scottie Pippen was quoted as saying that Arvydas was "the best European basketball player to ever play the game". Ex-Spur Sean Elliott routinely claimed that Arvydas "should be in the conversation as one of the greatest centers ever". Hall of Famer Bill Walton describes "Sabas" as "the greatest passing center of all time". And Dino Radja, a former Boston Celtics player, said that Sabonis would have been an all-star "ten times over" had he played his healthy years in the States.

In the mid-80's he would have been one of the top 3 players in the league if he had chosen to come over earlier(imo)

jordan, magic, bird....sabonis?

i dont know. his nba career was and back then it was a lot easier for good european players to stand out. so the fact that he was over there isn't exactly proof positive that he'd be an nba legend in his prime.

Also, anytime you quote Bill Walton as saying someone is "the greatest" at anything, we can automatically deduct a few points from your argument.

I gotta agree with you on the Walton comments.....

Dude was a first round pick two years in a row but couldn't play(one due to an NBA age rule, the second because of the Soviet Government)

I'll retract my statement and adjust it to "One of the Top 3 Centers" and that also includes some pretty stout competition.

The "we'll never know" factor is a big one....

I still dream of a Teofilo Stevenson vs. Muhammad Ali boxing match too!!!

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

That's a tough call...I'm thinking it's Petrovic (that dude was COLD!)

no doubt. petrovic was the shit. r i p. he only played 2 or 3 years in the nba before he passed though. he would have been a monster those next couple years.

he has a nephew who is in his teens who is practicing to be a baller as well. i saw a little blurb on nbatv a while back about him, i guess he's looking like he might have some skills.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    All hypothetical situations aside, Sabonis was a really good finesse player at his size. Yao Ming reminds me of him, but I think Sabonis was a better passer. He was also part of a Blazer team that at the time was relevant.

All hypothetical situations aside, Sabonis was a really good finesse player at his size. Yao Ming reminds me of him, but I think Sabonis was a better passer. He was also part of a Blazer team that at the time was relevant.

I have to agree.....they are both humungusly large, light on their feet, have a good understanding of the fundamental game and can hit FT's.

Sabonis was a great passer, but ironically, the loose lipped Bill Walton was the best passing big man I've ever seen.

I have to agree.....they are both humungusly large, light on their feet, have a good understanding of the fundamental game and can hit FT's.

Sabonis was a great passer, but ironically, the loose lipped Bill Walton was the best passing big man I've ever seen.

I think I have a newfound appreciation for big men (ayo).

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    im surprised that chauncey developed the way he did. it took maaad years but it happened. who knew the tim duncan consolation prize would help his team to win a championship.

hes good but he'd have to play at this level for another 3-5 years to be considered great.

WAAAAATCCCCCH OUT, WE MAY BE LOOKING AT OT IN CLEVELAND.

i hope, Lebron hits the game-winner. I need to go to the jacuzzi and come back for the next game!!!

yall forgot about the dunkin dutchman?!!!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Come on Yuichi, admit it, you love Raja Bell!!!!

BELL SHOOTING OVER BOWEN

DEAL WITH IT

Matter of fact, I play like Raja Bell, except without the 3pt. shot.

Does anyone else find it funny when Marv "Sexual Harrassment case" Albert yells "Marion, SERVING UP A FACIAL!!"

dude this is the basketball thread not the ew d'oh thread

what about this game? Spurs serving up their style. Damn.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I take back everything I said about the Suns being able to take the Spurs in a 7 game series in the playoffs. San Antonio is just dismantiling Pheonix right now.

I take back everything I said about the Suns being able to take the Spurs in a 7 game series in the playoffs. San Antonio is just dismantiling Pheonix right now.

I AM MAD ABOUT THIS
    LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS

FUK A GREGG POOOPABITCH

the boxscore to that suns spurs game says that robert horry had a DNP -Old Age hahaha
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AplVv_rKH0W8fQPlf5wnyPu8vLYF?gid=2007040524

woah, I just fell asleep after some wine and chinese food....

I called the Spurs win, and nobody should be surprised at the outcome, unless you are a false analyst. This is exactly what I was talking about when I said that I will surprised to see the Suns in the Western Conference Finals. Spurs were looking good by the way, very good.

Suns fans be wary. Defense is kinda important.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    the boxscore to that suns spurs game says that robert horry had a DNP -Old Age hahaha
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AplVv_rKH0W8fQPlf5wnyPu8vLYF?gid=2007040524

Ha!

• woah, I just fell asleep after some wine and chinese food....

I called the Spurs win, and nobody should be surprised at the outcome, unless you are a false analyst. This is exactly what I was talking about when I said that I will surprised to see the Suns in the Western Conference Finals. Spurs were looking good by the way, very good.

Suns fans be wary. Defense is kinda important.

How long have I been saying this as well.

Still, you can't put too much into these regular season games in any fashion. Playoffs is another level.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    stockton was great but he is overrated. nash is an all around baller.

OVERRATED?- GTFOHWTB!!!!

stockton was great but he is overrated. nash is an all around baller.

OVERRATED?- GTFOHWTB!!!!

There is ONE player that doesn't belong in that group though!!!

• Laettner?

it appears that Ewing doesn't even want him in the picture.

Laettner is best known for the second most famous shot in NCAA history.

His NBA career was at best.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

They tried to give the game away at the end (in typical Spurs fashion, it seems), but they also demonstrated how you force the other team to play your preferred style of basketball. Very nice.

Also, cosignature on Sabonis. If that dude had played in the NBA in his prime, he would've been something else.