Punky funk, new wave, etc...

Funky_MimizuFunky_Mimizu 631 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
I'm really feeling this stuff lately, but I need to be schooled.A Certain Ratio, ESG, Liquid Liquid, The Tom Tom Club, Gary Numan... that's the kinda stuff I'm feeling. What am I missing out on? Can someone hip me to some artists? Old and new. Basically, punky funky shit for the dance floor.Thanks in advance...Peace...FNM

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

also Delta 5 and Au Pairs

• Bloc Party. Dont shoot me, they got funk.

I'm not at them or The Rapture or anything on DFA. No seriously.

Old School anthing on 99 records or:

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    gang of four...entertainment...and crosseyed and painless by the talking heads fits into that vibe...

• Bloc Party. Dont shoot me, they got funk.

haha if were throwing these kind of suggestions around then the klaxons , dfa records and all associated with it (lcd, juan maclean) guessing youve probably heard most of that check out six finger satellite

• i have been listening to lora logic and gina x performance lately jhea

• the klaxons
    I think i like this stuff. Is it me?

• the klaxons

the bane of my life mate "nu rave" nothing worse than this in the uk at the minute they have one ok song ill admit, but its one of those trends for the nme to push, rave aint "nu" because it never went and this music certainly aint rave either wouldnt mind but clubs are being invaded with this stuff

• KAGNY & THE DIRTY RATS!!

One early '80s album on Motown, by a black group that fused modern soul with quaint new wave touches (think of a band whose biggest influences were Rick James'"Super Freak" and Shalamar's "Dead Giveaway"). Yes, it's pure cheese all the way - they can't seem to distinguish between new-wave and hard rock (hey, it's all white-boy rock, right?), and there's a wildly out-of-place quiet-storm ballad in the middle of it all, but for all its' wrongness, this is still a favorite of mine. It might be a little too guilty-pleasure for some, but I wasn't about to let this thread die without mentioning it. Recommended for Rockwell fans...

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Check out PIGBAG. Dr Heckyl and Mr Jive LP.

• the klaxons

the bane of my life mate "nu rave" nothing worse than this in the uk at the minute they have one ok song ill admit, but its one of those trends for the nme to push, rave aint "nu" because it never went and this music certainly aint rave either wouldnt mind but clubs are being invaded with this stuff
    yeah the nu rave look is starting to catch on over here.

But to me the klaxons music is just indie rock - with a little electro pop feel. More TV on the radio than Renegade soundwave or something?

I went to my share of raves in the 90's. But it was only for the girls - never the music.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I'm really feeling this stuff lately, but I need to be schooled.

A Certain Ratio, ESG, Liquid Liquid, The Tom Tom Club, Gary Numan... that's the kinda stuff I'm feeling. What am I missing out on? Can someone hip me to some artists? Old and new. Basically, punky funky shit for the dance floor.

Thanks in advance...

Peace...
    FNM

Try and cop some Shriekback 12"'s - "My Spine Is The Bassline" and "Lined Up" are really good. I never got their albums, but they're supposed to be good too. Ze Records put out some punkfunk/new wave disco joints in the early 80's - Aural Exciters, Lizzy Mercier Descloux, Was Not Was, James White - but I dunno how easy it'd be to come by that shit now. DAF had some hot shit as well, though I suggest a try-before-you-buy with their records. Also worth checking is The Pop Group, Rip Rig & Panic and the Glaxo Babies, who were all part of the same circle in Bristol, UK, during the post-punk era and made some insane records - free-jazz meets musique concrete meets funk. "Cut" by the Slits is on a similar tip and is a classic also. Cop "My Life In The Bush of Ghosts" by David Byrne & Brian Eno, and the first four Talking Heads albums as well, for that matter.

• the klaxons

yeah the nu rave look is starting to catch on over here.

But to me the klaxons music is just indie rock - with a little electro pop feel. More TV on the radio than Renegade soundwave or something?

I went to my share of raves in the 90's. But it was only for the girls - never the music.

haha yeah was some good times, yeah their new song golden scans is straight up indie rock made for the charts stupidly catchy

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Billard Music

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

• 8bits8bits 146 Posts

and

• On the new tip- i'm also really feelin this swedish group "Love is all".

For fans of X-ray spex, delta 5, bush tetras, etc.

• Check out PIGBAG[/b].

I love this record

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    on the Gina X recommendation. You must seek out "No GDM". International DJ Gigologs re-released the 12" a few years ago so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    I'm really feeling this stuff lately, but I need to be schooled.

A Certain Ratio, ESG, Liquid Liquid, The Tom Tom Club, Gary Numan... that's the kinda stuff I'm feeling. What am I missing out on? Can someone hip me to some artists? Old and new. Basically, punky funky shit for the dance floor.

Peace...
    FNM

Yeah, I'm feeling this stuff too lately..

The Contortions - Buy
    Someone mentioned Au Pairs.. just found one of their records this week and it's pretty raw.
    I can't really endorse bloc party or lcd soundsystem at this point, their new albums are pretty weak.
    Check out Professor Murder Rides the Bus though.
    Seems a lot of new bands are crossing over in to dance punk this year.
    The new modest mouse sounds like old talking heads.

You might try and bit torrent this comp/soundtrack "Jean-Michel Basquiat in Downtown '81"

1. So Far So Real - Gray
    2. K Pasa-Pop I - Kid Creole & the Coconuts, Coati Mundi
    3. Desire - Tuxedomoon
    4. Cavern - Liquid Liquid
    5. Blonde Redhead - DNA
    6. Sax Maniac - James Chance
    7. I'm a Doggy - The Lounge Lizards
    8. Contort Yourself - James Chance
    9. Drum Mode - Gray
    10. Closet - Lydia Lunch
    11. Palabras Con Ritmo - Coati Mundi
    12. Bob the Bob - The Lounge Lizards
    13. Tangita - Pablo Calogero
    14. Mr. Softee - Kid Creole & the Coconuts
    15. Cheree - Suicide
    16. Detached - DNA
    17. 15 Minutes - Chris Stein
    18. Copy - Plastics
    19. New Day
    20. Beat Bop - Rammellzee, K Rob

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Cop those "New York Noise" comps. In fact, any Defunkt, Bill Bickford/Kim Clarke/Big Food output.

• As already mentioned Bush Tetras are really good, well worth getting their album.
    Also check out this comp:
    http://www.crippled.com/?cat=products&subcat=128&id=132

On the new release tip I like ???Shitdisco??? they are part of the nu-rave scene and have toured with the Klaxons but they sound like straight up nu-wave/art house rock to me.
    I think Klaxons are going down the pan fast.

• While we are on the nu-wave tip has onyone got Nicolle Meyer/Nowhere By Mir on wax? Such a nice track but I cant find it anywhere (apart from on CD).

• Damn, I haven't heard of 80% of this shit...

Last night I picked up Gang of Four's Entertainment, and that shit is fantastic! Thanks for all the recommendations... should keep me busy for awhile.

Peace...
    FNM

• You need this ... Papa's Got a Brand New Pigbag is a no-brainer.

I've been spinning a lot of this stuff as I usually DJ at rock shows. The group that I would recommend most highly, besides many of the great suggestions already made, would be Konk. Pick up the comp on Soul Jazz records. They were knee deep in that crossover between the punk scene and the hip hop scene in early 80s NYC ... one of (if not the) first group to produce 12-inches with "DJ toys" ... sound effects, raw beats, strictly for the DJ. Songs like Elephant and Baby Dee ... I can't say enough. I spin at B-Boy battles fairly regularly and those songs make the place erupt. And, they go over very well at the rock shows.

It is a very rich genre in general. You can mine it forever and it acts as such a good crossover between disco, 80s hip hop, boogie, etc.

• edit--for newish stuff

• Gary Numan
    "films" and "m.e" from the pleasure principle are the bombs. how are the other albums?

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    Gary Numan
    "films" and "m.e" from the pleasure principle are the bombs. how are the other albums?

OH SNAP - I forgot - Tubeway Army is the most raw, punky, Gary Numan LP you can get.
    Highly reccomended.. find "please listen to sirens" for a taste of what this LP sounds like. Replicas is a great album also.. this has "Are Friends Electric?" and "Down in the Park", "Me I disconnect from you" "you are in my vision". Some of his best songs and probably the best album. Tubeway army is more punk, Replicas more synth on the way towards Pleasure Principal (Cars, et al).

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    slits - cut

Y-pants - s/t

GRRL VOIDWAVE MADNESS

o and kid creole/coati mundi related releases for the shtick.