Name a movie that changed your life.

BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
edited July 2016 in Off Topic (NRR)
I mean really, really, really made you a different person. apart from Crying Game.
TAGGED:

Comments

• that's a goodunn Sport C.

my pick would be Robert Altman's "short cuts" - i was 12 or 13 at the time, and had only rationally realised that there are a lot of different people in the world who do things their own clumsy way.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    return of the jedi. first movie i ever saw in my life.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

changed my career path and made Eric Monte a personal hero

• I just saw Elevator to the Gallows and I can say for sure that it will stick out in my mind forever as a demonstration of how enjoyable simplicity/brevity can be.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    I just saw Elevator to the Gallows and I can say for sure that it will stick out in my mind forever as a demonstration of how enjoyable simplicity/brevity can be.
    yes. easily one of malle's best. i think it was his debut?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly changed my life.

Yes, I'm serious.

• beat street. saw it in the theatres in 84. i don't think i've been the same kid since. and still looking for a leather bomber with a furry hood.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    For some reason, it's hard for me to think of a single movie changing my life. I can do it for songs, but not for movies. Strange.

I strongly recommend this life-changing read by/about a filmmaker, though:

• TRACI I LOVE YOU

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    the exorcist. i was eight or nine and it was on tv and i BEGGED my parents to watch it, promising i wouldn't get scared and want to sleep in their bed later on (this promise was shot to hell as soon as i got into bed and waited in terror for it to start shaking). anything i say now about how it revealed so many things to me will sound super corny, so i'll just say that it laid the foundation for my taste in movies, clothes, story-telling, my realization of the power of music and the thrill and challenge of being scared/repulsed.

• I more into indie film but....
    When I see Rudy, I can do anything for a few days. I can't be stopped.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Seeing "I spit on your grave" at age 12.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Office Space made me double think going into Boeing/Lockheed. Instead, I took a software gig with a small company. Less pay comparatively, but nicer surroundings/happier vibe, and if I ever get sick of the work, I know it's because of the work and nothing else.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Anal Angels, and ButtMan Vol.10

serious.

sayin.
    Duderonomy

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

I have seen a lot of weird films and I like weird films, but this one is truly challenging, incredibly creative and has tons of very impressive imagery.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Anal Angels, and ButtMan Vol.10

serious.

sayin.

I would like to know what JLR thinks of this. Conflicted I bet.

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    blazing saddles.

• ButtMan Vol.10

this one is truly challenging, incredibly creative and has tons of very impressive imagery.
    Duderonomy

!! - who was your babysitter? where was your babysitter?

my friend saw Deliverance around that age because his older brother and friends were watching it - it is not a happy childhood memory for him at all.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I'm gonna have to say Do The Right Thing about 2 months after I moved to the US. for the touchy feely MLK crap they peddled at school everywhere.

• I saw Caligula when I was WAY too young.

The last movie that had a deep effect on me was "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind." I guess it hit me hard cause I was having alot of the same emotions the movie talked about. Kinda helped me see that experiences and memories are what relationships are.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

!! - who was your babysitter? where was your babysitter?

my friend saw Deliverance around that age because his older brother and friends were watching it - it is not a happy childhood memory for him at all.

I went over to my next door neighbours they had children a boy and a girl which were young adults probably about 6 years older than me.
    They(bro and sis)found it amusing.
    I remember seeing a lot of other wild stuff over there "Boogey Man","Massacre at Central high" "Penitentiary".

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

I had a similar experience with RoboCop. My parents used to put me in this side room whenever they watched Rated R flicks. I came out to grab some catsup for my fish sticks or something and saw some guy getting blown away by ED-209. It was tramatic as hell. Plus, I had no idea Detroit was that bad.

more recently, Tzameti 13. i was shook for a long time - asking myself what would i do? what if it was someone i loved in that situation? i certainly felt changed even if it was superficial and temporary

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

ButtMan Vol.10

Are you calling me [for what I think you are calling me for]?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    At the age of 8-10, The Dark Crystal was the most amazing movie to me. I watched it so many times, and it just had my imagination totally captivated.

I want to say 'requiem for a dream', but even that had nowehre near the impact on me that the dark crystal did when I was young.

• Probably the one that came closest was KIDS. Puts shit in perspective if you take each individual event as separate, real-life happenings.