Name a movie that changed your life.

Comments

• KIDS

RIP Harold Hunter

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Office Space

Seriously. It's hard to say a single movie's changed my life, but Office Space has taken on an everyday philosophical meaning for me. Same with Fight Club and American Beauty. I often go back to scenes from those movies in my head. Wish I could say it was Citizen Kane or Metropolis, but you know... I am what I am.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    By the way Kinetic, I just cracked up reading your location. That quote is modern SS lore in the making.

• Seeing "I spit on your grave" at age 12.

I saw Salo: 120 Days of Sodom and Cannibal Holocaust when i was 13

Beat that

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I wouldn't say it changed my life, but I think I must have seen "Apocalypse Now" at least a dozen times within the three months or so after it first came out. It was certainly the first film that I got obsessive about. I was around 19 then, and me & my boys would take trips to any halfway local cinema that was showing it, two or three times a week sometimes. To a bunch of teenage Clash fans, it just seemed like a particularly impressive Vietnam war movie at first, but after a while, the subtext about pagan idolatry began to take over; slowly figuring out what the references to Conrad and Eliot and things like "The Golden Bough" actually meant in the context of the story, we began to get into it on a different level. It made a hell of an impression on me, and whenever I get the opportunity, I'll still break out the DVD, take a few hours out to watch it and really soak the whole thing up.

• Welles??? ??? The Trial
    Arkins??? - Little Murders

Surrealistic plotlines and a certain vague existentialism fit right in with my teenage self.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    By the way Kinetic, I just cracked up reading your location. That quote is modern SS lore in the making.

Thanks dude,
    but I can't take credit. That needs to be shared equally by Supertoaster for the quote and Dizzy Bull for creating the context in which it could be uttered.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    thank you thank you, and American Beauty sucked donkey balls. watching it was like torture. Fight Club on the other hand was freakin' genius.

• Seeing "I spit on your grave" at age 12.

I saw Salo: 120 Days of Sodom and Cannibal Holocaust when i was 13

Beat that

Damn. Instant desensitization.

• TRACI I LOVE YOU

YES!

No.

I don't know.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    most definetly:

I did see robocop when i was in second grade too and that scene where dude gets acid poured all over him and hes like "help me, help me" has scared and stuck with me since.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    thank you thank you, and American Beauty sucked donkey balls. watching it was like torture. Fight Club on the other hand was freakin' genius.

Dude... did you just say that? That movie is awesome. Rips apart American archetypes brilliantly. It's also entertaining.

• That movie is so sappy and contrived.

• most definetly:

Yes, please! I think I'll be having a nostalgia rental of that one tomorrow.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    most definetly:

Yes, please! I think I'll be having a nostalgia rental of that one tomorrow.
    I rented and nastaligized that joint last wednesday boyee!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Dude... did you just say that? That movie is awesome. Rips apart American archetypes brilliantly. It's also entertaining.

It took me a few days to get through the whole thing and the only reason I finished it is because every kept saying how great it is. awful. file this, along with The Thin Red Line, under "movies that i wish i could go back in time to warn myself not to watch, even if it means a disastarous disruption in the space time continuim, it would still be worth it just to have not watched these movies"

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    star wars changed my life when i was a youngin. Seriously had me a fanboy after watching it. I used to get the books, toys, comics, anything star wars related.

As i got older and started experimenting with drugs, fear and loathing had a pretty big impact on me along with the cheech and chong movies, trainspotting and kids, hit home cause a few of my friends were having real bad problems with heroin at the time.

When i got into djing and hip hop, wildstyle made me enjoy the humble innocent beginings of hip hop, just seeing some kids doing something to get away from the violence that was going down in that era. Also scratch kind of influenced me in djing. Also the art of music the tom dowd movie got me going to school for engineering now.

Most recently though a movie that really changed my outlook on life and really has influenced the way i think and approach things is The Secret. Its a little new age, but it taught me how to live a more positive lifestyle and be more optimistic.
    http://whatisthesecret.tv/

• and

Definitely 2 of the best movies of all time. The direction,editing, acting and score are next level!

They also have some of the funniest scenes in cinema period!

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    another one:

although i think im the only one who still likes this film

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Mine is COBRA, don't ask me why.

• Pulp Fiction made me the film nerd I am today.

• most definetly:

I did see robocop when i was in second grade too and that scene where dude gets acid poured all over him and hes like "help me, help me" has scared and stuck with me since.
    my sis and i just got this of the netflicks......FAAAALLLCCOORRR!!!!

LMAO- i also have that robocop image lodged in my subconsious
    we have to be around the same age. Its cool to see the different generations in this thread.

• time bandits.

haa ha

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    Easily Star Wars....but even saying it feels like a cop out, though it is entirely true. nothing quite like the opening credits crawling over your head, and then the 2 ships roaring over you. Totally brought me into a new world.

Recently...a french film THEY CAME BACK, where all of the recently deceased come back one strange day. NOT at all a horror film, but one where society deals with the emotional and reintegration problems that arise when suddenly 10million people just magically reappear. Stunning ending and one that silenced my wife and I for about an hour after we saw it. Highly recommended.........

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I saw Caligula when I was WAY too young.

The last movie that had a deep effect on me was "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind." I guess it hit me hard cause I was having alot of the same emotions the movie talked about. Kinda helped me see that experiences and memories are what relationships are.

I saw plenty of horror movies as a youngin' (ie Motel Hell) but it was Creep Show that made me develop my insane fear of cockroaches that I have today. Dad, you fucked me up!

• contempt
    walkabout
    sans soleil

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Shortly before my dad dropped out of my life, near the end of my sporadic summer of "weekend visits," he left me with his drug dealer for most of the day. The neighbor, a HUGE fat dude who drove an El Camino, took me to see ET.

I cried after the movie. I was embarrassed crying in front of a stranger.

When we got back to this dude's house, he sat me down in his living room, went into his bedroom, came back with a .357, put it in my hand and said, "Have you ever held a gun before?"

Sitting there, drying my eyes, holding a gun half the size of my body, wondering when the fuck my dad was gonna come and save me, the dude says, "Be careful... it's loaded."

Not so much the movie, but the whole ET experience, changed my life.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

walkabout

eight and a half
    planet of the apes
    lord of the flies
    apocolypse now
    andromeda strain

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

Flipper...I learned from this movie that man and animal should be friends...It has changed my life foreva
    Duderonomy

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Pulp Fiction made me the film nerd I am today.

As a 13 year old, this movie, and its soundtrack in particular, set me off on the path. Think I bought my first Al Green album like a week later...