~Collector's Pushing the Limits of Sanity~

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    damn, i'm fucking smart.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    since sneaker collecting is just so insane, break this down for me.

you collect records, the reissue is available for you to cop, you do. now you have the music and can look at the cover. yet you just have to have the og, which you already have the music to. interact ? so now you put the og on a shelf to sit, the same as a sneaker....except every now and then you wear the sneaker, while listening to the reissue you ripped on your ipod...while the $400 og record sits at home.doing nothing.

this is silly.

And what about listening to your OG East of the Underground while wearing retro Air Jordans?

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

And what about listening to your OG East of the Underground while wearing retro Air Jordans?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

Anyway to answer your questions, many people do buy multiple pairs of the same shoe ("one to rock, one to stock" is the saying).

that's an expensive habit. at $50-$100+ a pop i assume most collectors can't buy more than a few pairs a month.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Sure, collecting is collecting is collecting, but I gotta cosign about not relating to sneaker collectors. There was a time when I couldn't relate to record collectors either, but the art and fun of it slowly won me over. I've been around sneaker collectors, I've come to appreciate sneaker design and all that, but none of this exposure has similarly won me over to wanting to collect shoes or finding it particularly interesting. Certainly not a collection like the one posted, which, to my eye, looks pretty interchangeable with every other collection I've seen. It's not just that my collecting dance card is already full, it's that I just don't see it as being as dope as other things you could collect: insects, books, flowers, comics, found photos, etc. I'm not particularly invested in any of those, but I can RELATE to them more. In other words, I feel like I would actually enjoy talking to somebody who seriously collects those things more than I would enjoy talking to a sneaker collector.

here are other "collectables" I don't expect to be won over by:

beanie babies
    pogs
    Thomas Kincaid paintings
    neck ties
    bottle caps
    Simpsons figurines
    Franklin Mint commerative plates
    restaurant menus
    celebrity urine samples

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    FUCK YOU...a picture of the spine? Get a Fucking Life!!!!!!!!!!

• i have about 100 sneakers, most of which i have not paid for, or if i have, i pay $30 which is cost. i hate dunks
    the worlds are so similar. the song remains the same.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I don't understand people who collect shoes.

at least records you can interact with, listen to, enjoy. does dude just walk into his little shoe closet everyday and feel good about himself?

Collecting is collecting is collecting. How many threads have there been here about all the different things people here collect besides records? People in this forum collect beer cans, shoes, radios, vintage gear, clothes, artwork, the list goes on. I myself just started collecting globes (yes, GLOBES, as in the planet earth, moon, other planets). I admit in my case that I probably have some kind of mild disorder, but I would be loathe to put that on anyone who collects something I have no interest in. I have far more in common with people who collect shoes than people who think shoe collecting is weird.

Post up your globe collection plaese. Here's a huge topographical globe I snagged (in front of the bulk of the lunchbox collection)

Is that the greatest hits of Hank Williams?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I don't understand people who collect shoes.

at least records you can interact with, listen to, enjoy. does dude just walk into his little shoe closet everyday and feel good about himself?

Collecting is collecting is collecting. How many threads have there been here about all the different things people here collect besides records? People in this forum collect beer cans, shoes, radios, vintage gear, clothes, artwork, the list goes on. I myself just started collecting globes (yes, GLOBES, as in the planet earth, moon, other planets). I admit in my case that I probably have some kind of mild disorder, but I would be loathe to put that on anyone who collects something I have no interest in. I have far more in common with people who collect shoes than people who think shoe collecting is weird.

Post up your globe collection plaese. Here's a huge topographical globe I snagged (in front of the bulk of the lunchbox collection)

I need one of them! My wife would have a fit. I will try and grab a pic tonight and embarrass myself.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Do it dude! globes are rad

Do it dude! globes are rad

Now I am scared that people may want to send me to collector rehab after I post pics. It happened so suddenly! I even scope the thrifts for globes before I check for the rekkids!

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    i have about 100 sneakers, most of which i have not paid for

dude where is the free sneaker spot... hook a brotha up!

• I can't afford to be a sneaker freak, but I do appreciate a nice pair of kicks. I've been real lucky getting new or nearly-new kicks at the flea and thrift spots.

just got these brand new this weekend for super cheap

• Sure, collecting is collecting is collecting, but I gotta cosign about not relating to sneaker collectors. There was a time when I couldn't relate to record collectors either, but the art and fun of it slowly won me over. I've been around sneaker collectors, I've come to appreciate sneaker design and all that, but none of this exposure has similarly won me over to wanting to collect shoes or finding it particularly interesting. Certainly not a collection like the one posted, which, to my eye, looks pretty interchangeable with every other collection I've seen. It's not just that my collecting dance card is already full, it's that I just don't see it as being as dope as other things you could collect: insects, books, flowers, comics, found photos, etc. I'm not particularly invested in any of those, but I can RELATE to them more. In other words, I feel like I would actually enjoy talking to somebody who seriously collects those things more than I would enjoy talking to a sneaker collector.

A sneaker collector could say all of the same things about record collectors.

I think sneaker collecting is only for some people. So is record collecting. People who don't like music probably won't be collecting records, and similarly, people who don't like to be straight dipped all the time probably won't be collecting shoes.

• I do want to know what's up with the shrink-wrapped shoes though, never seen that...

thats what struck me too. i guess theyll never get dusty!

so wait - no box = how much value lost? just curious. is it like a record with no jacket, or just a small % less? i also collect old books and comic books and such so i know about how nuts people can go with completeness and condition. is it like this for shoes? like, if you had a pair of Air Jordan 1s with some bald spots in the sole and some wear and marks on them, are they junk, or still some $ because just what they are is so raer?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Collecting is collecting, but records aren't shoes aren't globes; therefore one can still make a judgment about the general cultural value of different types of objects.

• i have about 100 sneakers, most of which i have not paid for, or if i have, i pay $30 which is cost. i hate dunks
    the worlds are so similar. the song remains the same.

I remember you showing off some serious heaters back in Boston.

I got about 20 pairs, most discounted through my homie though. i rotate between all of them.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

I do want to know what's up with the shrink-wrapped shoes though, never seen that...

thats what struck me too. i guess theyll never get dusty!

so wait - no box = how much value lost? just curious. is it like a record with no jacket, or just a small % less? i also collect old books and comic books and such so i know about how nuts people can go with completeness and condition. is it like this for shoes? like, if you had a pair of Air Jordan 1s with some bald spots in the sole and some wear and marks on them, are they junk, or still some $ because just what they are is so raer?

For a newer shoe, a box is pretty much a must. You will lose a good chunk of the value on a pair of those Dunk SB's if you don't have the box. For an OG pair of Jordans the box is so rare that you won't lose money by not having it, but you can add a lot if you do. And yes, worn Jordan 1's with bald spots will still get you 3 figures in all likelihood.

Full Disclosure: I have over 100 pairs myself, but I wear just about everything I have.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

For a newer shoe, a box is pretty much a must. You will lose a good chunk of the value on a pair of those Dunk SB's if you don't have the box.

same thing with toys, but shit has to be still sealed. fuck that, i take them out the box so i can pose em.

yeah, i have a semi-toy collection.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Now there's something that I don't get people collecting those vinyl figurines that they sell in places like Kid Robot. I can see having one or two, but I just don't get the appeal of collecting hundreds of them.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Now there's something that I don't get people collecting those vinyl figurines that they sell in places like Kid Robot. I can see having one or two, but I just don't get the appeal of collecting hundreds of them.

i collect mainly music figurines, some sports too. those weird abstract vinyl figures don't appeal to me, but i guess it's the same thing as buying sculptures or whatever. it's all relative.

Post up your globe collection plaese.

For Mole

Not alla them, but I just caught the bug recently. Some light up. They are all gonna go in the attic when we finish it.

JUDGE ME, but remember I never said nothing bad about anyone's shoes or records.

WHAT THE FUCK?!?

dude, thats bizarre and awesome at the same time!

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Sure, collecting is collecting is collecting, but I gotta cosign about not relating to sneaker collectors. There was a time when I couldn't relate to record collectors either, but the art and fun of it slowly won me over. I've been around sneaker collectors, I've come to appreciate sneaker design and all that, but none of this exposure has similarly won me over to wanting to collect shoes or finding it particularly interesting. Certainly not a collection like the one posted, which, to my eye, looks pretty interchangeable with every other collection I've seen. It's not just that my collecting dance card is already full, it's that I just don't see it as being as dope as other things you could collect: insects, books, flowers, comics, found photos, etc. I'm not particularly invested in any of those, but I can RELATE to them more. In other words, I feel like I would actually enjoy talking to somebody who seriously collects those things more than I would enjoy talking to a sneaker collector.

A sneaker collector could say all of the same things about record collectors.

I think sneaker collecting is only for some people. So is record collecting. People who don't like music probably won't be collecting records, and similarly, people who don't like to be straight dipped all the time probably won't be collecting shoes.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Hating on shoe collecting on a record collecting board is the most ignorant shit I've heard lately.

I want to live where you live if that qualifies as the most ignorant shit you ever hear.

i have about 100 sneakers, most of which i have not paid for, or if i have, i pay $30 which is cost.

But why you hating on...

BTW, shoe collecting for men = bag collecting for women. If anyone read the NYer essay on the resurgent interest in high-end bag buying (it was a profile of Dolce and Gabbanna for their Fashion issue I believe), I kept thinking, "they could be talking about sneakers."

My wife has a pet theory that kicks are an "allowable" way for men to indulge in fashion fetishizing without seeming ghey or .

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    I don't give a fuck what you collect, I just don't understand the shoe thing.

I like pictures of anthromorphic monkeys. I only have 1, but its still a collection. a collection of one. i want more, i just don't know where to find them. except henry's.

I tell you what would piss me off the most about having 1 leg is going to buy shoes. its like, you only need one, but you HAVE to buy 2 and you don't get a choice. goddam that would piss me off so bad.

What's so weird about shoes? You can talk about them with other shoe freaks.. you can buy two pairs of the same one then later sell one off when the prices go up..
    it's a lot more fun than stamps.. or coins.. or sports cards...

I'm not a shoe collector, but I like sneakers and if I was rich I'm sure my OCD would lead to a nice collection.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    I don't collect anything although I can understand the buzz of having "The complete set of [insert fetish here]". I *think* would probably then sell the collection, having *done* [insert fetish here] but I imagine owners of complete collections then get paranoid about their ever-increasing value and it becomes something more serious.

I think I have been kept away from the collectro path by:

1) Having my all my stuff stolen a few times, which has lead to me not expecting to own anything forever.

2) Having no room for anything.

3) Having a dad who hoarded so much shit that the house was overflowing with junk, even into our own bedrooms. I vowed to get all Zen when I had my own place. Then I got married and, what with *her* shoes, and kids toys... [see 2) above].

4) Not being able to afford raer things anymore [see Married and kids]

I would imagine b53 is single, unless he has A LOT of money and the golddigger puts up with the collection - and *her* shoe wardrobe makes Kimora Lee Simmons "Look like a sharecropper". I would love to own some of those kicks but I would definitely wear them. Would you own a Lambo and never drive it? Not hatting on the dude, in fact, it appears to be an astute financial investment if nothing else, but.. to paraphrase Elise:

I got a wife and kids. What you got? 12,000 shoes?

Although sometimes I would trade [just for an hour or so! / ]