~Collector's Pushing the Limits of Sanity~

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
This is the craziest sneaker shit I've ever seen.http://forums.nikeskateboarding.org/index.php?showtopic=16933&st=0Are there any other type of collectors who are pushing the limits of sanity like this dude? What would the record parallel be to this?

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I don't understand people who collect shoes.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

at least records you can interact with, listen to, enjoy. does dude just walk into his little shoe closet everyday and feel good about himself?

• I don't understand people who collect records.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    collecting shoes that you never wear makes about as much sense as collecting records you never play. i think folks here can relate to the latter, why not the former?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I don't understand people who collect records.

Yea seriously, shoe collectors get hella more chicks.

• since sneaker collecting is just so insane, break this down for me.

you collect records, the reissue is available for you to cop, you do. now you have the music and can look at the cover. yet you just have to have the og, which you already have the music to. interact ? so now you put the og on a shelf to sit, the same as a sneaker....except every now and then you wear the sneaker, while listening to the reissue you ripped on your ipod...while the $400 og record sits at home.doing nothing.

this is silly.

• I don't understand people who collect shoes.

They all look the same except with different color patterns.

I wear my shoes down to the nub. My current pair (my only pair) is more than a year old. My previous pair was two years old and had holes worn in the bottom. Only reason I replaced THOSE shoes was because someone gave me my current shoes as a present in Christmas of 2005.

• I don't understand people who collect shoes.

They all look the same except with different color patterns.

I wear my shoes down to the nub. My current pair (my only pair) is more than a year old. My previous pair was two years old and had holes worn in the bottom. Only reason I replaced THOSE shoes was because someone gave me my current shoes as a present in Christmas of 2005.

I hate new shoes. I used to buy new vans and trade them to my little brother for his already worn in pair.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    that is pretty crazy. im all about lookin fresh and i own some sneakers that not too many people have, but what that dude got is just crazy. if i have a problem figurin out what kicks i want to wear for the day, i would think i have too many pairs of shoes.
    that said, i wouldnt mind havin a few of the ones he got

• i collect dunks, and other shoes, but i wear them. I like the shoe and collecting, but this dude is on some other shit. I couldn't have all those shoes and not wear them or sell a few pairs to buy something i wanted. He must be some super rich dude to be ballin' like that. THAT SHIT IS

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

at least records you can interact with, listen to, enjoy. does dude just walk into his little shoe closet everyday and feel good about himself?

Collecting is collecting is collecting. How many threads have there been here about all the different things people here collect besides records? People in this forum collect beer cans, shoes, radios, vintage gear, clothes, artwork, the list goes on. I myself just started collecting globes (yes, GLOBES, as in the planet earth, moon, other planets). I admit in my case that I probably have some kind of mild disorder, but I would be loathe to put that on anyone who collects something I have no interest in. I have far more in common with people who collect shoes than people who think shoe collecting is weird.

I don't give a fuck what you collect, I just don't understand the shoe thing.

I like pictures of anthromorphic monkeys. I only have 1, but its still a collection. a collection of one. i want more, i just don't know where to find them. except henry's.

I tell you what would piss me off the most about having 1 leg is going to buy shoes. its like, you only need one, but you HAVE to buy 2 and you don't get a choice. goddam that would piss me off so bad.

I don't give a fuck what you collect, I just don't understand the shoe thing.

I like pictures of anthromorphic monkeys. I only have 1, but its still a collection. a collection of one. i want more, i just don't know where to find them. except henry's.

I tell you what would piss me off the most about having 1 leg is going to buy shoes. its like, you only need one, but you HAVE to buy 2 and you don't get a choice. goddam that would piss me off so bad.

Goddam, Soulstrut IS angry today. I just want you to CARE, Diz. Plaese, for the children. And their multiple pairs of shoes.

• beatles collectors are still my #1 pain in the ass...nothin like waking up, with a cold, headache, feel like crap and open your ebay messages and read a message from a "potential bidder", "Im gonna need a picture of the spine of the record" FUCK YOU...a picture of the spine? Get a Fucking Life!!!!!!!!!!

If you are a shoe collector is getting 1 shoe like getting a sleeve with no record in it? do you buy it anyways?

• How can you understand record collecting and not shoe collecting? It's the same thing. Hating on shoe collecting on a record collecting board is the most ignorant shit I've heard lately.

Dude is sitting on thousands and thousands of dollars worth of shoes there (if he has the boxes, that is). Just like dudes sit on G's of wax up in here. They don't do anything with them but admire them, maybe listen every now and again. Just like shoes. Admire them, wear them every now and again. It's collecting. It doesn't really matter what the subject is, the same basic ideas apply. And if you keep your shit in mint condition, it's an investment. Nike shoes, especially SB's, are known to double or triple in value within months of their release.

I do want to know what's up with the shrink-wrapped shoes though, never seen that...

• I tell you what would piss me off the most about having 1 leg is going to buy shoes. its like, you only need one, but you HAVE to buy 2 and you don't get a choice. goddam that would piss me off so bad.

I would hope that an amputee would have at least a make-shift prosthetic leg to put the other shoe on...

All the shoes at the swap meet are shrink wrapped.

I'm not hating on shoe collectors. I don't care what people collect.

I collect post counts. Hey, I just found another one!

All the shoes at the swap meet are shrink wrapped.

I'm not hating on shoe collectors. I don't care what people collect.

I collect post counts. Hey, I just found another one!

Prove it. betcha can't find another 3!

What is some sure fire CTI heat? For sampling I mean.

mardis gras without the bells. duh.

(1)

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    do shoe collector's actually wear them though? for some reason i was under the impression that they didn't.

i think some do and some don't. I wonder what its like to buy shoes "just to wear" though. maybe they buy 2, one for the feet, one for the display shelves.

(2)

are shoe re-issues considered weak though? like when all those ugly ass jordans were re-issued a few years ago (no offense, wearers of ugly ass jordans, some of whom i consider friends).

(3)

• Some do, some don't. Some buy an extra pair of the ones they want to rock. Just depends. Some just buy all the kicks they can and wear only some.

I looked at more of the pictures that guy has. The original Jordan shit he has alone is probably worth enough to buy a house. Seriously rediculous collection. Did you see those Jordan Sky High's? Made in 1990, never released, only 200 pairs made? Damn. That's some crazy shit to own.

• Legit reissues are all good to collectors.

edit: err, most collectors

jordaroni.

jordache mustache.

• I keep thinking your title says Chicharones. Do you eat those at all?

I keep thinking your title says Chicharones. Do you eat those at all?

I used to back when I was doing the Atkins thing. I think.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    i think some do and some don't. I wonder what its like to buy shoes "just to wear" though. maybe they buy 2, one for the feet, one for the display shelves.

(2)

are shoe re-issues considered weak though? like when all those ugly ass jordans were re-issued a few years ago (no offense, wearers of ugly ass jordans, some of whom i consider friends).

I can't believe a bunch or record collectors can't relate even a little to shoe collectors. It's the same impulse...

Anyway to answer your questions, many people do buy multiple pairs of the same shoe ("one to rock, one to stock" is the saying). And hardcore Jordan collectors do tend to look down on re-issues, especially since most re-issues have minor details that have changed. However they still buy them because the original shoes tend to deteriorate to the point of unwearability. Kind of like buying a re-ish to play out instead of skating up your OG vinyl.