What Happened to the Dunk Contest???

Comments

• As soon as they started giving dude's 3rd, 4th and 5th chances to make dunks that they already missed the shit went down the tubes.

• I really don't think anybody has topped this sequence of dunks in the last 6 years. You're trying to write this dude off like he ain't really do shit. That's what I'm calling you out on. I'm not disputing that Jordan and Nique were the best ever in the contest. I think everybody can agree on that.

nah, you said "the dunk contest peaked with Carter." now you are backtracking. i don't disagree that Carter is nasty and definitely one of the greatest dunkers ever. however, if you are talking about the dunk contest, it was game over after JOrdan, Nique and Webb. Jordan was the best one footed dunker, Nique killed it off of two feet and Webb was a freak of nature.

AND THEY WERE IN 4 BACK-TO-BACK DUNK CONTESTS!!! THe nba all-star weekend can't come close to repeating the way it was in the late 80s. REmember, you also had Bird winning 3 point contests and magic, jordan, isiah, barkley, ewing, etc, playing in the all star game. That was when all-star weekend peaked. don't get it twisted.

• lots of people forget that Jason Richardson did some really crazy shit when he won that crown twice. I think outside of the bay area, people were sleeping.

• I really don't think anybody has topped this sequence of dunks in the last 6 years. You're trying to write this dude off like he ain't really do shit. That's what I'm calling you out on. I'm not disputing that Jordan and Nique were the best ever in the contest. I think everybody can agree on that.

nah, you said "the dunk contest peaked with Carter." now you are backtracking. i don't disagree that Carter is nasty and definitely one of the greatest dunkers ever. however, if you are talking about the dunk contest, it was game over after JOrdan, Nique and Webb. Jordan was the best one footed dunker, Nique killed it off of two feet and Webb was a freak of nature.

AND THEY WERE IN 4 BACK-TO-BACK DUNK CONTESTS!!! THe nba all-star weekend can't come close to repeating the way it was in the late 80s. REmember, you also had Bird winning 3 point contests and magic, jordan, isiah, barkley, ewing, etc, playing in the all star game. That was when all-star weekend peaked. don't get it twisted.

Don't get it twisted, I did not say it peaked, I said nobody has topped Vince since 2000. I didn't say Vince was better than anybody before him.

I agree with you. It will never be what it was really, but that's to us. Younger kids who didn't grow up with Jordan and the Human Highlight Film might think differently when they are our ages.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

• this years entries in the dunk contest:

Nate Robinson, New York
    Andre Iguodala, Philadelphia
    Gerald Green, Boston
    Rudy Gay, Memphis
    Josh Smith, Atlanta
    J.R. Smith, Denver
    Tyrus "Gimme My Money" Thomas, Chicago
    Maurice Evans, L.A. Lakers
    Monta Ellis, Golden State
    Gerald Wallace, Charlotte
    Dwight Howard, Orlando
    James White, San Antonio
    Amir Johnson, Detroit

Nate Dogg and G-Dub are the best outta the bunch.

On a side note......I think its funny that James White is in it. He has played in the D-league most of the year.

Cedric Ceballos won the contest when he was a free agent and not playing at all, iddn't he? Or was that Harold Miner? I don't remember.

And is Nate really a good dunker or do you just give him credit cuz he's short and stubby? Spud was at least a good dunker regardless of his height. Nate's infamous 14 tries will always make him a pity winner in my book. And don't sleep on JR Smith and Josh Smith, both them cats are nice with the dunks. Real nice.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Cedric Ceballos won the contest when he was a free agent and not playing at all, iddn't he? Or was that Harold Miner? I don't remember.

I think Ceballos was still signed to the Suns at the time. Harold "aborted baby jordan" Miner may have have been a free agent, alls I know is at the end of that year he was looking to the CBA

And is Nate really a good dunker or do you just give him credit cuz he's short and stubby?

dudes got hops, I'd say its a little more dramatic when he takes to the air cause he's so short, is he on Spuds level? I don't know about that, but then again I don't think Spud ever dunked during an actual game

• Cedric Ceballos won the contest when he was a free agent and not playing at all, iddn't he? Or was that Harold Miner? I don't remember.

I think Ceballos was still signed to the Suns at the time. Harold "aborted baby jordan" Miner may have have been a free agent, alls I know is at the end of that year he was looking to the CBA

You might be thinking of Craig Hodges, who came back as a free agen in an NBA jersey to defend his three point title.

• And I'd like to see Midget Nate pull off the off-glass through-the-legs, which FadedG so adamantly claimed, he "always does that shit in practice".

unfortunately, while every other professional basketball player is taking reps and getting prepared for the game, nate is preening and doing 360s and shit, dicking around. whatever - i'm much more ready to defend him as a sideshow little man dunker than i am a basketball player. no denying his athletic ability.

honestly, this dunk contest talk is nothing new, and is pretty tired. it's not what it used to be - back in the day guys were actually breaking new ground, but by now shit is kind of tired, and to make things worse, the most prominent figures in the nba (lebron, wade, kobe, et al) have absolutely nothing to benefit by doing it. the risk/reward just isn't there. they could very well fuck up or do some stupid shit and make themselves look corny as well as they could blow up. lebron did a dunk contest in high school and he wasn't spectacular. he jumps really fucking high, which is impressive enough, but he's not one for the gimmicks. i'm not too mad at that. leave it for the youngsters. they're hungrier anyway and will do some wild shit to put themselves on the map.

the athleticism bar has been raised immeasurably since the 'golden era' of the dunk contest, as have the stakes, given the publicity these guys get and they money they're paid. getting the highest profile dudes to participate isn't nearly as significant as it used to be.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Possibly the greatest white boy dunk of all time....check out #5 on the below clip....yep, that's the Knicks David Lee.....

....and James White takes off from the "Doc" line on #1....great stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q4Lhe-O9MI

• hey, david lee had the highest score among power forwards at the predraft athletic combine ... dont sleep!

• Man I am telling you guys Rex Chapman could throw down! One of my favorite dunk contest dunks ever...wish I could find it.

That dood was money on 3s in mid90s versions of "NBA Live" too.

• ....and James White takes off from the "Doc" line on #1....great stuff.

now, how about James White taking off from the foul line and going BETWEEN THE LEGS with it???

• Alright. I found that Rex Chapman heat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcmZ9GDReLE

He was actually in the 90 contest not 89. This clip is kinda long cos it's highlights of the whole deal. Check it out.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

As soon as they started giving dude's 3rd, 4th and 5th chances to make dunks that they already missed the shit went down the tubes.

This and the jason richardson comment..he inovated with the ofglass between legs variety

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    And I'd like to see Midget Nate pull off the off-glass through-the-legs, which FadedG so adamantly claimed, he "always does that shit in practice".

unfortunately, while every other professional basketball player is taking reps and getting prepared for the game, nate is preening and doing 360s and shit, dicking around. whatever - i'm much more ready to defend him as a sideshow little man dunker than i am a basketball player. no denying his athletic ability.

honestly, this dunk contest talk is nothing new, and is pretty tired. it's not what it used to be - back in the day guys were actually breaking new ground, but by now shit is kind of tired, and to make things worse, the most prominent figures in the nba (lebron, wade, kobe, et al) have absolutely nothing to benefit by doing it. the risk/reward just isn't there. they could very well fuck up or do some stupid shit and make themselves look corny as well as they could blow up. lebron did a dunk contest in high school and he wasn't spectacular. he jumps really fucking high, which is impressive enough, but he's not one for the gimmicks. i'm not too mad at that. leave it for the youngsters. they're hungrier anyway and will do some wild shit to put themselves on the map.

the athleticism bar has been raised immeasurably since the 'golden era' of the dunk contest, as have the stakes, given the publicity these guys get and they money they're paid. getting the highest profile dudes to participate isn't nearly as significant as it used to be.

I have a headache now.

Summary: Nate do yo thing. Playas have rep to keep, youguns will do their thing. Mawfuggas can jump higher now. The dunk contest is for younguns.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Allan Houston off the head soccer Dunk
    Dee Brown pump my reeboks Dunk
    Ai was robbed
    Dominique beat Jordan in Chi-Town
    Harold "Baby Jordan" Minor was sick
    Kenny "Sky" Walker banged that shit
    Fuck Nate Robinson - little kids relate to him
    Vince & Richardson were THE END

The Dunk Contest = Turntablism........exausted possibilities.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    And I'd like to see Midget Nate pull off the off-glass through-the-legs, which FadedG so adamantly claimed, he "always does that shit in practice".

I have a headache now.

Summary: Nate do yo thing. Playas have rep to keep, youguns will do their thing. Mawfuggas can jump higher now. The dunk contest is for younguns.

Have you prepared Cliffs Notes for any other posts?

I think I want to start having you preview and condense threads for me.

I have a headache now.

Have you prepared Cliffs Notes for any other posts?

I think I want to start having you preview and condense threads for me.

....and James White takes off from the "Doc" line on #1....great stuff.

now, how about James White taking off from the foul line and going BETWEEN THE LEGS with it???

Um, this is kind of the s of dunks isn't it?

• Naw man....Ceballos was on the Suns and Miner was on the Heat at the time they were in the dunk contest.

That youtube video of last years college dunk contest reminded me of what James White can do. That was one guy I was hoping the Trailblazers would keep on draft day. In the end though we got Rodriguez in that series of trades so it's all good.

Kid has had a weird rookie year this season....being traded by the Blazers on draft day, cut by the Pacers the day before the season started, signed and demoted to the D-League by the Spurs and now he is taking part in the NBA dunk contest.

• Jesus man. Jordo and Nique were huge mega-stars and they ripped that shit back in the 80s. Hell, Larry Nance was dope. Now it's like a bother to these newjacks.

This year we got 3 doods 6'8" or over and one lovable lil' guy. Wack.

Worst winner ever?

1. Ced Ceballos
    2. Kenny "Sky" Walker

HAVE ALL THE GOOD DUNKS BEEN DONE?
    MJ's and 'Nique's dunks were dope at the time but i find that the level has raised a lot since then (A dunk from the free throw line won't give you a 50 anymore!).
    Yesterday i watched some recaps of the past dunk contests on nba.com, and honestly, nowadays dunks are a lot more creative, athletic and exciting to watch.

And all the good dunks have not been done! Iguodala's off-the-glass-dunk last year was completly new (and dope!).

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Man I am telling you guys Rex Chapman could throw down! One of my favorite dunk contest dunks ever...wish I could find it.

That dood was money on 3s in mid90s versions of "NBA Live" too.

HA. I was just about to take it there...sort of.

I don't think i played a video game in my life more than NBA Live 95 on Super Nintendo. I was ridiculous with the Magic.

Nick Anderson
    Penny
    3-D
    Horace Grant
    Shaq

Forget it. I think Dennis Scott was on the bench and i always brought him in? Maybe i'm wrong.

• Ai was robbed

i still think his off the reverse side of the backboard alley oop schitt was the most impressive dunk ever in an NBA dunk contest... not the prettiest maybe, but as for degree of difficulty i think it's

The Dunk Contest = Turntablism........exausted possibilities.

it's all about imagination coalescing with physical ability... lots of dudes have the physical part but they're lacking in the imagination department. Like LeBron... he should never enter a dunk contest, because although he can jump out of the arena he has little creativity. There's still PLENTY of new moves that are possible, no doubt. But like someone else said previously, the best dunkers are not (and should not be) NBA players. If you're making millions in the NBA you need to be working on your REAL game, not spending hours conjuring up new ways to dunk the ball

• If you're making millions in the NBA you need to be working on your REAL game, not spending hours conjuring up new ways to dunk the ball

i really really doubt that any dudes in the dunk contest spend that much time preparing. all these guys have been dunking since high school and have spent 'nuff time in the past.

also, to me, its always more exciting when the best leaper wins, so it really doesnt matter how well you can bounce the ball off your head or throw it against the glass. fans get excited (stupidly) when they see dudes blindfold themselves, or bounce it between their legs, but that shit is corny and not an indication of how u can get up. all the best dunk contest winners could fly. i'm sure my man white chocolate could spin the ball on his ass for twenty minutes and then drop kick himself an alley-oop, but i'd much rather see someone win who can actually jump.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    also, to me, its always more exciting when the best leaper wins, so it really doesnt matter how well you can bounce the ball off your head or throw it against the glass. fans get excited (stupidly) when they see dudes blindfold themselves, or bounce it between their legs, but that shit is corny and not an indication of how u can get up. all the best dunk contest winners could fly.

Height + Creativity + Theatre.

also, to me, its always more exciting when the best leaper wins, so it really doesnt matter how well you can bounce the ball off your head or throw it against the glass. fans get excited (stupidly) when they see dudes blindfold themselves, or bounce it between their legs, but that shit is corny and not an indication of how u can get up. all the best dunk contest winners could fly.

Height + Creativity + Theatre.

Yea, it's all about how you present the dunk.

Also, I think we're missing players that throw down hard. Like I'm about tear the rim down type aggressiveness.

• Larry Johnson. He coulda been great if it werent for the back. But dude had some Larry Nance like dunks.

i'd like to see dunkers trying to dunk against the top shotblockers of the league. Yao Ming need not apply however.