What Happened to the Dunk Contest???

GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Jesus man. Jordo and Nique were huge mega-stars and they ripped that shit back in the 80s. Hell, Larry Nance was dope. Now it's like a bother to these newjacks. This year we got 3 doods 6'8" or over and one lovable lil' guy. Wack.Worst winner ever?1. Ced Ceballos2. Kenny "Sky" WalkerHAVE ALL THE GOOD DUNKS BEEN DONE?

Comments

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Iguodala was robbed.

• Iguodala was robbed.

Last year? I agree.

And Lebron loses points for never entering. You wanna follow Jordan's legacy? There's a step. Even Kobe entered (and won) once.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

HAVE ALL THE GOOD DUNKS BEEN DONE?

Dominique (!), Spud Webb, Jordan... that was prime time for me.

• I think the contest peaked with Vince. Then he dunked over that 7-footer at the Olympics and that was (other then that crazy dude that did the 720).

• I think the contest peaked with Vince.

hell no. jordan/dominique and webb can't be touched. vince is one of the all-time greatest dunkers but what did he do in the dunk contest that was so memorable?

btw, if there were a soulstrut dunk contest i would take it hands down.

• I think the contest peaked with Vince. Then he dunked over that 7-footer at the Olympics and that was (other then that crazy dude that did the 720).

Definitely, nobody has topped Carter since he was in it. That 720 shit by that dude from TX was nuts too, but he's And1 so he doens't count. Haha.

And yeah, Nate should not have won last year. Iggy was robbed.

The days of Nique and Jordan are long gone.

• vince is one of the all-time greatest dunkers but what did he do in the dunk contest that was so memorable?

I often wonder what it is that you're smoking....

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    who's in it this year?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

• vince is one of the all-time greatest dunkers but what did he do in the dunk contest that was so memorable?

dude, i've probably been to more all-star games/dunk contests than you have watched on television. you're trying to tell me that any of vince's dunks from the DUNK CONTEST get replayed like jordan's foul line slam, Nique's windmill, or spud's 180???

please!!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Worst winner ever?

1. Ced Ceballos
    2. Kenny "Sky" Walker/S> Brent Barry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2icxwr21vQ

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    ^^^^^Whitest slam dunk ever. The way he sprints up to the basket, without dribbling, is hilarious.

• Jesus man. Jordo and Nique were huge mega-stars and they ripped that shit back in the 80s. Hell, Larry Nance was dope. Now it's like a bother to these newjacks.

This year we got 3 doods 6'8" or over and one lovable lil' guy. Wack.

Worst winner ever?

1. Ced Ceballos
    2. Kenny "Sky" Walker

HAVE ALL THE GOOD DUNKS BEEN DONE?

I will be reppin at both the All Star Game and the previous night at skills/dunk contest. should be an interesting weekend in vegas for sure...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Worst winner ever?

1. Ced Ceballos

Couldn't find a Rex Chapman all star dunk huh?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Last year's dunk contest was pretty hot actually. I'm excited to see Gerald Green in this year's. And I'd like to see Midget Nate pull off the off-glass through-the-legs, which FadedG so adamantly claimed, he "always does that shit in practice".

After Vince in 2000, there's been a handful of adequate dunkers. Desmond Mason, JRich, and Andre Iguodola come to mind.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Worst winner ever?

1. Ced Ceballos

hard to believe but the dunking dynamo known as Chapman never won the contest

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Desmond Mason, JRich, and Andre Iguodola come to mind.

This is true and JR smith was good

That dunk contest with vince, some nice one by tracy mcgrady and steve francis with the badass shit was an extremely exciting contest

it varies with the years but a lot of people do not re-enter as much

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Worst winner ever?

1. Ced Ceballos

hard to believe but the dunking dynamo known as Chapman never won the contest

Yeah, I know. I just put it up because Rex > Barry in a dunk off of white boyz from all star dunk contests.

Also, anyone would lose if they had to go up against The Human Highlight Film. Rex would have won otherwise.

• I can't see those vids posted due to being at work but Rex Chapman did some sick dunks. Is that the one where he flipped the ball behind his back and reversed it? I think he had a 44 or 46 inch vertical coming out of Kentucky. He really should've won that year instead of Kenny Walker IMO.

• not to stray off-topic, but who's in the 3-point contest this year??

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    That dunk contest with vince, some nice one by tracy mcgrady and steve francis with the badass shit was an extremely exciting contest

One of the best ever. If not, the best.

• not to stray off-topic, but who's in the 3-point contest this year??

Dirk is defending his (somewhat tainted) title, JET is there and Damon Jones has guaranteed the "W"...dunno who the rest are.

• this years entries in the dunk contest:

Nate Robinson, New York
    Andre Iguodala, Philadelphia
    Gerald Green, Boston
    Rudy Gay, Memphis
    Josh Smith, Atlanta
    J.R. Smith, Denver
    Tyrus "Gimme My Money" Thomas, Chicago
    Maurice Evans, L.A. Lakers
    Monta Ellis, Golden State
    Gerald Wallace, Charlotte
    Dwight Howard, Orlando
    James White, San Antonio
    Amir Johnson, Detroit

Nate Dogg and G-Dub are the best outta the bunch.

On a side note......I think its funny that James White is in it. He has played in the D-league most of the year.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    This one is simple......

As soon as they started giving dude's 3rd, 4th and 5th chances to make dunks that they already missed the shit went down the tubes.

b/w

The best dunkers are NOT in the NBA

• No doubt....

Both Guy Dupuy and Kevin Lescot are ill dunkers

Neither can ball though

• Worst winner ever?

1. Ced Ceballos

Can we get the WORST DUNK CONTEST PARTICIPANT AWARD?

CHris 'Birdman' Anderson. Did dude even throw down a clean dunk. that shit was painful to watch.

It seems the dunk contest now features cats who dont really have a good rep in the league. Like Nique, Jordan, Nance guys like that were solid ball players so folks got up when they did the dunk contest.

Nowadays, how many of us even know who gerald green is or nate robinson for that matter?

• Brent Barry is pretty hard to watch. His brother Drew was ridiculous though, him and Marbury killed it at Georgia Tech way back.

dude, i've probably been to more all-star games/dunk contests than you have watched on television. you're trying to tell me that any of vince's dunks from the DUNK CONTEST get replayed like jordan's foul line slam, Nique's windmill, or spud's 180???

please!!

I could care less how many allstar games you went to, you can see the shit better on TV than you can in section 326 row 15 seat 9 anyway. And to answer your question, no, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying you're asking what was so memorable about this:

First dunk, perfect excecution, completely clean, his fuckin head was almost higher than the rim, I still don't think this dunk has been topped yet in a contest since 2000. Second one, again, perfectly executed. Between the legs, perfect dunk. From a bounce pass nonetheless. And the third one, the elbow hang, totally original, perfectly exected, huge dunk. I really don't think anybody has topped this sequence of dunks in the last 6 years. You're trying to write this dude off like he ain't really do shit. That's what I'm calling you out on. I'm not disputing that Jordan and Nique were the best ever in the contest. I think everybody can agree on that.

EDIT: If anybody has come close to Vince's 2000 dunks, it's Jason Richardson.