Numero Group: Twinight's Lunar Rotation?

Comments

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    due to the current legal battle over the Syl material, it just can't happen. Syl is a friend, and he'd like to do something with the recordings (you all saw those "reissues" right?), but right now it's going to jury trial.

Which "reissues"? The ghetto-looking ones on Charly where they put both LPs together on one CD and call it "Is it because I'm black" with new artwork? Or the authentic-looking ones on whatever pirate organization that puts out the $8.99 reissues that look like the real thing that they always sell on Dusty Groove?

And since you're in the reissue business, maybe you have an informed opinion on the subject of which of those "reissue" pirates are worse. I usually go for the cheap-o CD reissues that I know are fake and aren't trying to be real instead of the cheap-o LP reissues that I know are fake but want to persuade newbie diggers that they're real.

If you want to take this up on the PM, I'd be glad to do it there. I am honestly very interested in all of this from a legal perspective. Not looking to sue (or be sued!), but I am just trying to get a better understanding on the theories and interests involved.

Thanks in advance for your insights on this subject, and thanks in reverse for all the great Numero releases so far. Keep up the great work.

JRoot

• due to the current legal battle over the Syl material, it just can't happen. Syl is a friend, and he'd like to do something with the recordings (you all saw those "reissues" right?), but right now it's going to jury trial.

Which "reissues"? The ghetto-looking ones on Charly where they put both LPs together on one CD and call it "Is it because I'm black" with new artwork? Or the authentic-looking ones on whatever pirate organization that puts out the $8.99 reissues that look like the real thing that they always sell on Dusty Groove?

I think he's referring to the ones Syl put out himself on the revived Twinight logo where, in the liner notes, he spends more time chastising everyone who ever ripped him off than he does supplying actual info (dates, musicians, etc.).

• Here, here. Numero Group is Numero Uno.

I'm gonna join the choir in singing Numero's praises. Anybody who could put out a compilation of Joni Mitchell-ish singer-songwriters - and make a folkie hater such as myself LIKE it - has got something going for 'em.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    It's really bittersweet how the red CD liner has TWO shots of the "Enter the 36 Chambers" Gold LP.

K - did you get all that TwiLIGHT stuff (Bronzettes, et al)?

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    due to the current legal battle over the Syl material, it just can't happen. Syl is a friend, and he'd like to do something with the recordings (you all saw those "reissues" right?), but right now it's going to jury trial.

I think he's referring to the ones Syl put out himself on the revived Twinight logo where, in the liner notes, he spends more time chastising everyone who ever ripped him off than he does supplying actual info (dates, musicians, etc.).

I hadn't heard of these reissues before you mentioned them. When did they come out? And now Syl is getting sued by the "owners" of the masters for releasing them and/or commiting libel in the liner notes? Or he's suing the non-owners for ripping him off?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I think the issue is whether or not Syl still owns the rights to his own music.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I think the issue is whether or not Syl still owns the rights to his own music.

I hope he does, but I bet he probably doesn't. Did he sue those who claim the rights or did they sue him?

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    And since you're in the reissue business, maybe you have an informed opinion on the subject of which of those "reissue" pirates are worse. I usually go for the cheap-o CD reissues that I know are fake and aren't trying to be real instead of the cheap-o LP reissues that I know are fake but want to persuade newbie diggers that they're real.

Obviously you want to support the record whose proceeds end up in the artist's pockets. Radioactive, Goldmine, etc need to be avoided like the plague.

But the bottom line on reissues in this day and age is that they need to be fucking amazing. With the death of the CD less than a decade away (and I don't mean CDs will go away, but rather CDs become the vinyl of the 90s), it's imperative that you do it right, or not do it at all. You aren't going to get a three or four chances to issue this stuff on CD. This isn't Live At Leeds. That means remastering, liner notes, songwriter information, photographs, original artwork, business card scans, etc. The days of the 4 page booklet are done. The days of laying things out in Quark 3.0 are over. The days of needle drop masters are SO done.

In the brave words of Joe Tex but taken totally out of context, "Get it right, or leave love alone."

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I listened to this on the commute home today and I have to say, no disrespect to any of the previous Eccentric Soul joints, but the Twinight set has some of the best tracks I've heard yet on any E.S. anthology.

Kudos!

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I listened to this on the commute home today and I have to say, no disrespect to any of the previous Eccentric Soul joints, but the Twinight set has some of the best tracks I've heard yet on any E.S. anthology.

Kudos!

Stop bragging. The street date isn't until MARCH 14 according to the website. Some of us still buy music.

Who called you an old whiteboy? (under your avatar related)

• Here, here. Numero Group is Numero Uno.

I'm gonna join the choir in singing Numero's praises. Anybody who could put out a compilation of Joni Mitchell-ish singer-songwriters - and make a folkie hater such as myself LIKE it - has got something going for 'em.

Stepping into a choir as well and taking a short solo: any label that can establish a clear identity and maintain the level of quality Numero has so far deserves our support. (Not hard if the music is that good)

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Kudos!

Stop bragging. The street date isn't until MARCH 14 according to the website. Some of us still buy music.

Who called you an old whiteboy? (under your avatar related)

It's happened a few times, mostly when people take issue with something I've said on an NPR review. Maybe they think my last name is "Wayne" or something but given that I don't "sound Black" nor slur my Ls, people default and assume I'm white. And old.

Folks be from my Chinee genes.

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
    nothing but love for numero. been a big fan since the beginning. the only folks that are in the same league is the Ace catolog and it sub labels. anyways
    really excited for this one.
    have to say that Antena is one of my all time favorites not only of what has been
    released but all time gem of a gem. that group was fucking magical.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    For those that were interested, this is the complete track list:

Disc A

The Devastator Stormy
    Mama Annette Poindexter
    Package Of Love (Part 1) Dynamic Tints
    Main Squeeze Nate Evans
    Satisfied Krystal Generation
    Yes, My Goodness Yes Velma Perkins
    Not Too Cool To Cry Renaldo Domino
    Temptation Is Hard To Fig... George McGregor & the Bro...
    So Good To Have You Home ... Mystiques
    Soul Strokes Sidney Pinchback
    Pass It On (Part 1) Pieces Of Peace
    Be My Lady Dynamic Tints
    Let Me Come Within Renaldo Domino
    Which One Am I Perfections
    Can You Find Me A Love Harrison & the Majestic K...
    Is It Worth A Chance Josephine Taylor
    Lonely People Notations
    To Love Somebody Kaldirons
    My Sunshine Girl Radiants
    Powerful Love Chuck & Mac

Disc B

A New Day Notations
    Lift This Hurt Elvin Spencer
    Why Do You Want To Make M... Perfections
    Put Out The Fire Mystiques
    Breaking Point Johnny Williams
    Life Walked Out Mist
    Nevermore Renaldo Domino
    Pardon My Innocent Heart Nate Evans
    Remind Me Schiller Street Gang
    Is It Meant To Be Krystal Generation
    Wayward Dream Annette Poindexter
    I'll Always Love You Velma Perkins
    Tearing Me Up Inside Harrison & The Majestic K...
    I've Made Up My Mind Josephine Taylor
    Goin' Man Huntin' Jo Anne Garrett
    I Can't Stop Notations
    Two Years Four Days Renaldo Domino
    Yesterday's Mistakes Jimmy Jones
    Rosemarie Dynamic Tints

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Guys, this is brilliant. Thanks a lot.

Everyone: support yourself.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    This compilation is incredible.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    HOLY CHRIST THIS COMP RULES!

Anyone on here that is not buying this
    is kidding themselves ... such a killer set.

How about "Soul Strokes" - the backing track to
    "Different Strokes" with crazy acid guitar overdubbed?!

I just wish there was a vinyl release

• This compilation is incredible.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Isn't there going to be??

BTW, found a beat copy of Soul Strokes last year which was both and

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts

Isn't there going to be??

BTW, found a beat copy of Soul Strokes last year which was both and

Who has in the loop knowledge?
    Would like to know as well.

There's several other releases I'm hungry for on vinyl...

but I got "issues".... if done exceptionally well, would buy...promptly

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    One thing to consider is that there are 40
    tracks on 2 CD's - for a double LP, you would
    need 10 songs per side, which doesn't seem likely.
    So, to do a vinyl issue, they would need to either
    cut tracks (which would suck) or press a triple album (less
    likely and more expensive for everyone).

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    Twinight wax details:

We're releasing 20 Twinight 45s over the next year beginning with:

Renaldo Domino "Not Too Cool To Cry/Nevermore"
    Annette Poindexter & Pieces of Peace "Mama/Wayward Dream"
    Sidney Pinchback & Schiller Street Gang "Soul Strokes/Remind Me"

Not repros, but they do come in a nifty Twinight sleeve. Limited to 750 copies. Will be at finer retailers in about two weeks.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    why are the descriptions always cut off on their website? Anyway I can't wait to pick this up...best label around these days.

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    Twinight wax details:

That's hot. Top of my wants for awhile now.

Now, 20 45's makes absolute sense...my clarity restored.

What about other Numero titles, say...Catherine Howe?

• TNGTNG 234 Posts

What about other Numero titles, say...Catherine Howe?

In due time. Deep City and Catherine are next up.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    why are the descriptions always cut off on their website?

This is an annoying issue - the vertical scroll does not hook up on IE. Paging TNG. Call tech support and fix it.

• In due time. Deep City and Catherine are next up.

Gyeah!

b/w

received the Twinight 2cd and am still digesting it - gonna review it a.s.a.p.!

(what about a big mack 2lp?)

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Twinight wax details:

Annette Poindexter & Pieces of Peace "Mama/Wayward Dream"
    Sidney Pinchback & Schiller Street Gang "Soul Strokes/Remind Me"

Not repros, but they do come in a nifty Twinight sleeve. Limited to 750 copies. Will be at finer retailers in about two weeks.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    we sold both this and the Deep City comp in the shop today after I played it. Great job folks!

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    picked my copy up yesterday

just from the drums on the first track , and then there are 39 more songs!