I love that part on Curtis / LIVE! when...

2»

Comments

• Right before he breaks into We've Only Just Begun.

"Some people think this song isn't appropriate for an underground club, but to me 'underground' means saying what you feel..." Props to Curtis not only for singing the only version of this song we need to hear, but also for being aware of how unhip this song was then going ahead and singing it anyway.

And he kills it, too.

That's my moment also. The "I am my own man" statement means even more in the context of a friendly crowd at a hippie folk-rock club.

• 'The Makings Of You'.
    ... how the women react at the beginning of the song!

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Right before he breaks into We've Only Just Begun.

"Some people think this song isn't appropriate for an underground club, but to me 'underground' means saying what you feel..." Props to Curtis not only for singing the only version of this song we need to hear, but also for being aware of how unhip this song was then going ahead and singing it anyway.

And he kills it, too.

Pitch perfect pickwick, as per normal.

And as usual when I try to describe Curtis, I'm at a loss for words.

Genius,
    JRoot

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    ok... i do not have Curtis live on MP3.

What i DO have is this:

People Get Ready

3 disc boxset:

Gypsy Woman - The Impressions
    It's All Right - The Impressions
    I'm So Proud - The Impressions
    Keep On Pushing - The Impressions
    Amen - The Impressions
    People Get Ready - The Impressions
    Woman's Got Soul - The Impressions
    We're A Winner - The Impressions
    I Loved And I Lost - The Impressions
    Fool For You - The Impressions
    This Is My Country - The Impressions
    Choice Of Colors - The Impressions
    The Makings Of You
    (Don't Worry) If There's A Hell Below We're All Going To Go
    Move On Up
    We People Who Are Darker Than Blue
    Check Out Your Mind
    Mighty Mighty (Spade And Whitey)
    Stone Junkie
    Beautiful Brother Of Mine
    Get Down
    We Got To Have Peace
    Freddie's Dead (Theme From "Superfly")
    Superfly
    Give Me Your Love
    Pusherman
    Future Shock
    If I Were Only A Child Again
    Can't Say Nothin'
    Kung Fu
    Sweet Exorcist
    To Be Invisible
    Mother's Son
    Billy Jack
    So In Love
    Only You Babe
    Party Night
    Mr. Welfare Man
    Show Me Love
    Do Do Wap Is Strong In Here
    You Are, You Are
    Do It All Night
    You're So Good To Me
    Between You Baby And Me - Curtis Mayfield (with Linda Clifford)
    Love's Sweet Sensation - Curtis Mayfield (with Linda Clifford)
    Love Me, Love Me Now
    Tripping Out
    She Don't Let Nobody (But Me)
    Baby It's You
    Homeless
    Do Be Down

Enjoy.

Super cool of you to post this....grabbed a few tunes i was needing from this so many many thanks....

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Right before he breaks into We've Only Just Begun.

And he kills it, too.

That's my moment also. The "I am my own man" statement means even more in the context of a friendly crowd at a hippie folk-rock club[/b].
    Meaning: Curtis could have just preached to the choir on this one. A cover like that would be akin to today's Joe B. Smoove covering "...Baby One More Time."

Shit: I'll bet that Curtis could make ANY song sexy.

• Right before he breaks into We've Only Just Begun.

And he kills it, too.

That's my moment also. The "I am my own man" statement means even more in the context of a friendly crowd at a hippie folk-rock club[/b].
    Meaning: Curtis could have just preached to the choir on this one. A cover like
    that would be akin to today's Joe B. Smoove covering "...Baby One More Time."

Shit: I'll bet that Curtis could make ANY song sexy.

I added the bit about the hippie folk-rock club because that kind of audience probably would have been more skeptical of a Carpenters' cover than a traditional black crowd. Curtis obviously knew this, which is probably why he felt the need to explain himself. I don't know what the audience was like at the Bitter End the night Curtis recorded this album, but can you visualize, say, a white singer-songwriter like Jackson Browne or Jerry Jeff Walker busting out on a song like this at a hipster venue? I sure couldn't.

(For a similar situation, listen to Bobby Womack's "Close To You," which starts out with a monologue about how some record exec advised him not to do this song because it wasn't "commercial" or "funky." I wouldn't want to hear him do the song either, but I always play the rap at the beginning. It's on his Communication album.)

• shiet...i still need this.

Jaybreezie it was so close

If I find another I will hauler!

• The part that always grab me is right after the introduction to "Stare and Stare." Curtis's introductory rap is all mellow and philosophical, but then the solo guitar lick breaks in and its just bluesy and fuzzy and soulful as hell and it communicates so much more than the words that preceeded it.

• "Stone Junkie" as a whole, definitely. Gotta love the overall atmosphere of the record, the communication between Curtis & his audience etc.. one of my all time favorite records.

• best record ever

any thoughts on the donny hathaway live?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I like the part where he explains to the crowd how some of the radio stations would play "We're a Winner," (or is this "Mighty, Mighty") and how he didn't give damn cause he's "gon' sing it anyhow."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• best record ever

any thoughts on the donny hathaway live?

i prefer donny live...

not to take away from curtis, my favorite moment on which is the opening when they just tear into 'Mighty, Mighty'. unlike some here, though, i could def. leave 'we've only just begun'.

• Hey,

I like the part where he explains to the crowd how some of the radio stations would play "We're a Winner," (or is this "Mighty, Mighty") and how he didn't give damn cause he's "gon' sing it anyhow."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

It was the Impressions' "We're A Winner." In 1968, WLS (then the big white Top 40 station in Chicago, heard in 48 states & Canada on a good night) banned this from their playlist even though it had already crossed over to most pop stations by then.

• any thoughts on the donny hathaway live?

The wild thing about this record is that the version of "The Ghetto" is a splice of two different live shows (one in NYC, the other in California).
    It took at least ten years for me to figure this out.
    The edit is crisp and only after scrutinizing the liners do you realize what's really going on.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I said this in another thread but his Young Gifted and Black on the second volume is one of favorite cuts of all time and definitely my favorite version of that song.

Does Prince have a live record? Is it any good?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    God bless Curtis.

And I still need this record, too. I never seem to come across it