I love that part on Curtis / LIVE! when...

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited July 2016 in Music Talk
on "I Plan to Stay a Believer" when he's singing about math and making it sound all smooth and shit. next?

Comments

• on "Stone Junkie" when he messes up the words, laughs and says he fell in a hole there.

• if memory serves, he mentions falling in a hole cause he calls everybody out with their "habits"

i just like how hes got everyone in the crowd singing "Stone junkie" with feeling

best record ever

• yeah. The whole, I don't want to point no fingers, and don't want any pointed at me. Such a great song.

• I always thought of Curtis/Live!, Bill Withers Live At Carnegie Hall, and the two live Donny Hathaway elpees as the models of how a live album should sound. The bands are loose without being sloppy, the audiences are enthusiastic without being irritating, and Mayfield, Withers and Hathaway had an insanely great rapport with the audiences.

And in Curtis' case...I don't think I've ever heard an audience hang onto a singer's every word that closely, unless it was some "funny folkie" like Arlo Guthrie or somebody. Curtis KNEW he had the crowd at the Bitter End in his hip pocket that night.

yeah. The whole, I don't want to point no fingers, and don't want any pointed at me.
    Such a great song.

That line knocked me out so much when I heard it, I find myself using that expression whenever I wanna cautiously call somebody out on their shit even though I'm guilty too - I don't want to point no fingers, 'cause I don't want nobody pointing any fingers BACK, but...

Of course, it didn't work every time - a year later, he did this same song on of those "live at the Newport Jazz Festival" LP's on Cobblestone, along with the "finger pointing" line. Sure enough, the crowd didn't respond as heartily as they did at the Bitter End, but then again, that's the difference between working a massive outdoor venue and an intimate folk/rock club.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    shiet...i still need this.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    if memory serves, he mentions falling in a hole cause he calls everybody out with their "habits"

i just like how hes got everyone in the crowd singing "Stone junkie" with feeling

best record ever

everytime it gets to that moment: about 2/3rds in, the crowd singing... ohhh shit i get goosebumps.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    oh crap, then there's the part when the band is all quiet and Curtis is rappin' about who's all going to Hell, and his last words are "Don't Worry" when the bass comes outta nowhere and the band starts going all psycho.

• best record ever
    best record ever
    best record ever
    best record ever
    best record ever

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    shiet...i still need this.

Jaybreezie it was so close

• i love that part when it starts....all the way to the end.
    not a dull moment, many a time on repeat at the old job.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Right before he breaks into We've Only Just Begun.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    "We don't give a damn....we're a winner anyway...Right On?"

In one line Curtis wraps up how even though people don't give you the respect you deserve, you're still a winner. An unbelievabley important musician and human.

• on "Stone Junkie" when it sounds like the song is going to end but the audience wont let the song end

• Right before he breaks into We've Only Just Begun.

"Some people think this song isn't appropriate for an underground club, but to me 'underground' means saying what you feel..." Props to Curtis not only for singing the only version of this song we need to hear, but also for being aware of how unhip this song was then going ahead and singing it anyway.

And he kills it, too.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    when he's introducing the band and describes one as sort of a ladies man or something and somebody (maybe the player) gets a little feedback on the instrument.

don't have it at hand...maybe one of yall can clarify

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    on "we the people.." when the band gets a groove going (sampled on atmosphere's "sad clown") awesome riff!!

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    When he says "wow" in "We the people" - because he forgot a line? Also the ending is goosebump city, if not tears. A record that can't be talked about enough, as long as someone out there still hasn't heard it....

• This is probably one of the few live LP's that is just as important as the artist's regular work.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    ok... i do not have Curtis live on MP3.

What i DO have is this:

People Get Ready

3 disc boxset:

Gypsy Woman - The Impressions
    It's All Right - The Impressions
    I'm So Proud - The Impressions
    Keep On Pushing - The Impressions
    Amen - The Impressions
    People Get Ready - The Impressions
    Woman's Got Soul - The Impressions
    We're A Winner - The Impressions
    I Loved And I Lost - The Impressions
    Fool For You - The Impressions
    This Is My Country - The Impressions
    Choice Of Colors - The Impressions
    The Makings Of You
    (Don't Worry) If There's A Hell Below We're All Going To Go
    Move On Up
    We People Who Are Darker Than Blue
    Check Out Your Mind
    Mighty Mighty (Spade And Whitey)
    Stone Junkie
    Beautiful Brother Of Mine
    Get Down
    We Got To Have Peace
    Freddie's Dead (Theme From "Superfly")
    Superfly
    Give Me Your Love
    Pusherman
    Future Shock
    If I Were Only A Child Again
    Can't Say Nothin'
    Kung Fu
    Sweet Exorcist
    To Be Invisible
    Mother's Son
    Billy Jack
    So In Love
    Only You Babe
    Party Night
    Mr. Welfare Man
    Show Me Love
    Do Do Wap Is Strong In Here
    You Are, You Are
    Do It All Night
    You're So Good To Me
    Between You Baby And Me - Curtis Mayfield (with Linda Clifford)
    Love's Sweet Sensation - Curtis Mayfield (with Linda Clifford)
    Love Me, Love Me Now
    Tripping Out
    She Don't Let Nobody (But Me)
    Baby It's You
    Homeless
    Do Be Down

Enjoy.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Enjoy.

Will do. First the Alba pictures and now this, we'll have to do an appreciation post.

• my fave of this lp is "check out your mind" i love this version of this song.

am i talking about the same live lp?

I think so.

(BTW, Curtis/Live! is not to be confused with Curtis In Chicago, the live soundtrack to a TV special he hosted with Leroy Hutson, the Impressions, Jerry Butler and Gene Chandler.)

• when he's introducing the band and describes one as sort of a ladies man or something and somebody (maybe the player) gets a little feedback on the instrument.

don't have it at hand...maybe one of yall can clarify

"Lucky....the freak.... all the ladies went 'whooo' "

I think so.

(BTW, Curtis/Live! is not to be confused with Curtis In Chicago, the live soundtrack to a TV special he hosted with Leroy Hutson, the Impressions, Jerry Butler and Gene Chandler.)

Right, we're talking about:

• pknypkny 549 Posts

"Some people think this song isn't appropriate for an underground club, but to me 'underground' means saying what you feel..." Props to Curtis not only for singing the only version of this song we need to hear, but also for being aware of how unhip this song was then going ahead and singing it anyway.

And he kills it, too.

...and when they finish, they go right into that beautiful version of "People Get Ready". Whenever I hear his "I Believe" adlibs at the end, I get all teary-eyed and whatnot. God bless Curtis.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I just listened to 'The Makings Of You'.
    I think someone already mentioned it but I love how the
    women react at the beginning of the song!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    the whole record is butter. best live recording evar.

i'm not even a big curtis fan but that's one of my favourite records of all time.

• "gypsy woman"
    so smooth

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

And he kills it, too.

That's my moment also. The "I am my own man" statement means even more in the context of a friendly crowd.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ...when he says "Master Henry Gibson"