Da Shinin' Appreciation

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Dude with the influx of dusty hip-hop I have a real hankering for a dutch today.... might have to happen. Got Shinin' and Living Proof cued up for the occasion...

I think I smoked more "L's" listening to these two albums then everything else from that time period combined. Real good times indeed!

• this is maybe not "the best" rap album of all-time but it's almost certainly my favorite. i was 13 when this came out and it was just so perfect for the time, for my state of mind (namely, high as fuck), for new york. it is an absolutely flawless record, and one that really makes a lot of other records not worth listening to.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Definitely the best record out of the whole BCC catalog.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Enta da Stage still runs it.

I had lost the first record of Dah shinin from 1997-2006. Consequently, I developed a strong love for the 2nd half of the album. Next Shit is probably one of my faourite hip hop tracks in memory. Especially when they breakdown midsong into a nonsensical phone call.

Yeah, that's my joint, but don't forget about "Hellucinations." I still cue up Minnie's "Only When I'm Dreamin'" because of this song.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

That was the track that the source called a "Spanish soap opera". I love the fact you can hear tek exhaling as he starts the verse. Pretty much sums up the vibe of the LP.

• Making comparisions to Enta Da Stage and Da Shinin' would not do justice to Hiphop history. Both have their place in it.

But as far as an appreciation for Da Shinin'- for sure.

Who went crazy when "Bucktown" came out? That's appreciation for that ass!

Oh oh the Hiphop memories...

• Though not in the top 10, I still listen to this album regularly.

This album brings me back to the times when we used to drive to the record store on Friday afternoon and wait for the store clerks to pull out the latest 12 singles that they just received from UPS. Many classic singles were copped during those days, many that I still listen to and cherish.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Who went crazy when "Bucktown" came out?

I called my boy Kev (that rapper KSTN on those Colorful Essence and Stacks and Dialect demos songs on my Soundclick site), yelling at him to turn to Rap City. "Man, this ill song Bucktown is on. Did you hear that?" I went crazy when I saw that video. One of the greatest first single releases of all time!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I love this album.

REAL SCHITT!

Da Shinin' also embodies something that I think is really missing from contemporary rap: really tight duos. Man, nothing sounds better than two rappers that have grown up together, who know eachother's style really well, going back and forth.

complete cosine

• shinin's waaaaaay better than enta da stage

Whoa, let's not go crazy over the first time we heard "We Live in Brooklyn" and let it skew our opinion. Those lyrics don't stack up against "Enta da Stage."

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    shinin's waaaaaay better than enta da stage

Whoa, let's not go crazy over the first time we heard "We Live in Brooklyn" and let it skew our opinion. Those lyrics don't stack up against "Enta da Stage."

People who were still half a decade away from discovering rap via Dilated Peoples at the time this album was released don't get to weigh in on this.

• Haha! Yeah, right.

I didn't know about the b-sides being included. Thanks for that information.

I still like "Enta da Stage" more.

Haha! Yeah, right.

I didn't know about the b-sides being included. Thanks for that information.

I still like "Enta da Stage" more.

They're not included, even though they represent some of the crew's best work.

"Murder MCs"

"Headz Ain't Readee" (Yes, there was a time when track titles like this could be taken seriously)

"Don't Front (Remix)"

Most of those tracks are available on this dodgey comp, that Nervous tried to market as a "new" Black Moon album circa 1997.

Also, who else bought the below heartbreakingly disappointing terd, circa spring of '99?

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    one of the best albums ever

the only complaint i have is the mastering job. no matter how high you turn it up, it isnt loud enough...

• "Don't Front (Remix)"

Oh my God.

This cassingle got worn OUT in my 1979 Delta 88. And when Mega Banton dropped the "Sound Bwoy Killing" remix over that same Barry White loop...well, Headz most definitely were not readee.

"Don't Front (Remix)"

Oh my God.

This cassingle got worn OUT in my 1979 Delta 88. And when Mega Banton dropped the "Sound Bwoy Killing" remix over that same Barry White loop...well, Headz most definitely were not readee.

Yeah, one of the era's absolute best singles.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Also, who else bought the below heartbreakingly disappointing terd, circa spring of '99?

That album was good it saved from having to hear Ruff Ryders - Ryde Or Die Vol. 1 on constant rotation around my friends/enemys.
    You're giving me flashbacks i dont want to have.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

That album was good it saved from having to hear Ruff Ryders - Ryde Or Die Vol. 1 on constant rotation around my friends/enemys.
    You're giving me flashbacks i dont want to have.
    b-b-but ryde or die vol. 1 is great

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I'm not much of a hip hop head, but I loved this album back in the day. PNC was my favorite track for sure.

Reminds me of a funny story... when the tape came out, there was an insert inside to buy a Smif n Wessun T-shirt. My homie called the number and halfway through the conversation realized who he was talking to.

"Steele?" ... "Yeah, whatup homie"

• And not to threadjack, but a question about when Big Dru Ha says "Yo it's the ill caucasian/check the invasion" on "U Da Man" from Enta Da Stage: in retrospect, how many of y'all were feeling that line a little too much?

(Raises hand)

Aside to Paychecks: you are excused, but only because you much preferred "I always gets the pu$$y 'cause I tells 'em that I'm Spanish." Arguably a giant step sideways.

• I'm not much of a hip hop head, but I loved this album back in the day. PNC was my favorite track for sure.

Reminds me of a funny story... when the tape came out, there was an insert inside to buy a Smif n Wessun T-shirt. My homie called the number and halfway through the conversation realized who he was talking to.

"Steele?" ... "Yeah, whatup homie"

oh shit

And not to threadjack, but a question about when Big Dru Ha says "Yo it's the ill caucasian/check the invasion" on "U Da Man" from Enta Da Stage: in retrospect, how many of y'all were feeling that line a little too much?

"feeling a little too much" = involuntary "rapper hands" frenzy?

• that was the greatest verse ever!!!!!
    i always get the pussy cause i tell em that im spanish!!

classic.

still cant fuck with tha shinin

• Top five rap Lps for me.

Possible darkhorse best song -- Wontime.

"Nuthin Move But The Money" is the shit and is tough to find. White label only deal. I believe it was held off the album for sample clearance, Rod Temperton apparently objected to the content of the tune.

Had this lying around...

Smif'n'Wessun - Nuthin Move But the Money (Instrumental)

• involuntary "rapper hands" frenzy

that's the funniest string of words i've read in a long time

there are so many rap albums that i consider classic, and have great, fond memories of, but da shinin' is one of the few that i can literally still listen to over and over

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    involuntary "rapper hands" frenzy?
    hahaha! this needs a graemlin

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    And nobody on this board best pretend they don't know what that is.

• damnit, i was just leaving my boss a message and "involuntary 'rapper hands' frenzy" popped into my mind, so i busted out laughing in the middle of the message... that's going to be a tough joke to explain on monday, i somehow doubt my boss is familiar with the rapper hands phenomenon

• Also, who else bought the below heartbreakingly disappointing terd, circa spring of '99?

tepid, at least total eclipse had stay real on it.