LPs that Stay on Rotation???

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited June 2016 in Record Collecting

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

lots more of course, but i keep these going
    Dash1

• These over the last couple of weeks ....

(Burnt Friedman & Jaki Liebezeit- Secret Rhythms)

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

I'd just like to add that because of work, kid, writing reviews, etc. I usually only listen to a record once or twice and then put it away to go to the next thing. This Al Green record is the only album that I've consistently listened to in the last year and still going strong. It's actually more because my girlfriend constantly listens to it, made easier by the fact that she has it on CD so that she can play it in different parts of the house. It hasn't gotten old yet. Probably the nearest thing to perfection that I can think of off the top of my head.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

I'd just like to add that because of work, kid, writing reviews, etc. I usually only listen to a record once or twice and then put it away to go to the next thing. This Al Green record is the only album that I've consistently listened to in the last year and still going strong. It's actually more because my girlfriend constantly listens to it, made easier by the fact that she has it on CD so that she can play it in different parts of the house. It hasn't gotten old yet. Probably the nearest thing to perfection that I can think of off the top of my head.

Hey Motown,

I feel you, man, life is hectic. The ones I listed are favorites for various reasons. The Bros. Johnson joint is an old childhood favorite that will always hold sentimental (and funky) value. I like slick, QJ production albums anyway (add on "Off the Wall", "Right on Time", "Give me the Night", "The Dude" etc.). The same goes for "Hissing of Summer Lawns," "So Far", and "Catch a Fire," albums I stumbled upon rather young (uncle Phillip related). The rest represent discoveries later on in my collecting pursuits, and not suprisingly, all of these LPs are close to the stereo. The "Pork Pie," "Magician's Hat," and "Illuminations" joints appeal to my abstract (jazz) side. They're complex and interesting, so they keep require focused listening. That said, you have to be "up" to put those on. The Steve Kuhn appeals to my straight-ahead jazz side, it's subtle and relaxing (cognac style). I would put the "DeJohnette Complex" LP between these two extremes of jazz (plus, I'm a drummer so I dig Jack). "Construction #1" is funky and fun (with prominent horn charts, which I like), yet different, so it's appealing to me. The Clifford Coulter fits in with my preference for early 80's soul, I was approaching my teens during this period. I was really into Columbia/Epic soul/jazz during this time. I try to spread out my listening, but these LPs are definitely ones I grab consistently (add "I Want You" by Marvin Gaye too, his best LP in my opinion).

By the way, I almost posted "Right On" by Phil Moore, Jr, but I don't listen to it very often. I was shocked to see that you'd reviewed it (while looking for LP cover images). I think I've mentioned the LP on here before to no reply. Anyway, I picked up that piece back in '94 at Grumpy's Books and Records (housed in the defunct old "Schoolhouse Building") in Akron, OH. I knew nothing of dude, just bought it on a whim, and was pleasantly surprised.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Co-sign on Al Green "I'm still...". Probably my favorite soul/r&b album of all time.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I don't have many records yet. This has gotten a lot of play:

Found it in Japan for 35bucks. Was stoked. In my young digging career, I consider this a solid all-arounder. Always does the trick.

Just out of curiousity--what does a person who doesn't have many records see in this place that makes him stick around for four years?

we-ll, in my private garden, I've amassed quite a lot of records so far.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I guess Soulstrut, like record collecting, is an addiction.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

ahh man. you thought quitting ciggarettes was hard....

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Found it in Japan for 35bucks. Was stoked. In my young digging career, I consider this a solid all-arounder. Always does the trick.

Just out of curiousity--what does a person who doesn't have many records see in this place that makes him stick around for four years?

one of the sad/awesome things I've done in my life is sold that 12" for $ lol

Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

ahh man. you thought quitting ciggarettes was hard....

Who says I quit? Those damn sticks are a bitch to put down Matter of fact, some Grand Marni and a smoke sounds good right about now.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    3 that I've never stopped playing since I found them:

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    in the last couple of weeks

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Winter Moods

• I have the OG joint, though (damn Internet)

This isn't the cover to the original? I have this, glossy gatefold cover on milestone, label is yellow with brown m's. I always assumed it was an original because I've never seen it anywhere else, plus the inside of the gatefold is pasted. Great LP though.

edit: mine is sans the "milestone jazz classics" logo though of course.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

I have the OG joint, though (damn Internet)

This isn't the cover to the original? I have this, glossy gatefold cover on milestone, label is yellow with brown m's. I always assumed it was an original because I've never seen it anywhere else, plus the inside of the gatefold is pasted. Great LP though.

i think he just meant it wasn't OG because of that "jazz classics" logo. that is the original artwork though

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    as for me

I have the OG joint, though (damn Internet)

i think he just meant it wasn't OG because of that "jazz classics" logo. that is the original artwork though

Yep Maru is correct, no "jazz classics" logo on mine is what I meant. Couldn't find one with out it on the Internet. This is a perennial favorite of mine, and I'm usually not a huge melodica fan.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• I don't have many records yet. This has gotten a lot of play:

wow, does that terd go for loot? i've got a promo copy from my college radio days somewhere...time to find that one.

K-O-B-E I L-O-V-E U.

To a buyer in Japan for $35, perchance?

Also, I believe the phrase you want is "One of the sad/awesome things I've done in the game..."

• I have the OG joint, though (damn Internet)

Yep Maru is correct, no "jazz classics" logo on mine is what I meant. Couldn't find one with out it on the Internet. This is a perennial favorite of mine, and I'm usually not a huge melodica fan.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Plus this album is worlds apart from Jack's later work on ECM and CTI, much better in my opinion. I have always been a drummer kinda guy and Jack has always been a favorite of mine. Elvin Jones would be another. That said, I must post Elvin LPs that stay on rotation:

(couldn't find a better pic of this one, same trio as puttin' it together, same sound. great album)

Elvin Jones would be another. That said, I must post Elvin LPs that stay on rotation.

Those Elvin Jones-led sessions on Blue Note are extremely underrated, IMO.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts