What is the best boogie albums?

13»

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

"DJ's Delight" is an all-time favorite of mine, but I've only got it on the Streetwave 12" b/w "Smoothin' Groovin'". Is the rest of the LP of the same caliber?

The other tracks are a bit more soulful and mellow. Its definitely an LP that I appreciate in this style. I remember liking the two first tracks on each side.

ps. hope you liked the lps that you got last time.

The UK Streetwave release of this album came with a 12" of "Mi Sabrina Tequana". I wish I could remember what became of my copy of it. This was a big album in the UK back in the day.

Define "boogie" for me.
    Seems like more of a Euro term.
    Yeah or neah?

Yeah, kind of. In the UK, "Boogie" was used to describe stuff leaning more to the dancefloor-oriented end of things around the mid-to-late 80's. It tended to be used more by Londoners than in the North, in my experience. "Modern soul" is a more broad term which would cover your Ronnie McNeir/Lew Kirton/Greg Perry kind of artists whose material may not be geared quite so much towards dancers.

• TobiTobi 187 Posts

since everybody else is sharing, i just ripped Uno "Boogie Beat"...enjoy!

http://download.yousendit.com/B87EE0732D1694DB

Thank you for this track, I need more stuff like this!!!

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Indeed. Out of my range. I think I'll just cop the reissue. That track you posted is fire, LP seems solid. You got the OG?

Yeah the whole LP is dope, only 6 songs but they're all Unfortunately I don't have the OG, a friend of mine got a double but wants too much for it Maybe I'll also cop the reissue...or I'll find the OG for 1 EURO, LOL

Here are some more great boogie/modern soul/whatever LPs:

That Dukes LP is pretty nice. "Mystery Lady" and "Thank You For the Party" are my favorites off that one.

What's the Sedan LP sound like?

SG

• since everybody else is sharing, i just ripped Uno "Boogie Beat"...enjoy!

http://download.yousendit.com/B87EE0732D1694DB

Thank you for this track, I need more stuff like this!!!

glad you dig it...although, i can't really think of much else that sounds like it! it's definitely not boogie.

• Hey, CPR, I know you're big into boogie like I am. How do you differentiate boogie from disco?

• True. Boogie Nights by GQ came out during the latter "Disco" Era.

Would it be just 80's vibe coming into Post disco(keyboards & drum machines) or would it be an artistic change within r&b/disco during the late 70's/early 80's?

Blame It On The Boogie? Black Dance music returning to Funk within the Disco era?

Boogie nights is heatwave, DISCO nights is gq.

boogie= roller/boogie. very big records that were popular amongst roller skaters.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

True. Boogie Nights by GQ came out during the latter "Disco" Era.

Would it be just 80's vibe coming into Post disco(keyboards & drum machines) or would it be an artistic change within r&b/disco during the late 70's/early 80's?
    Blame It On The Boogie? Black Dance music returning to Funk within the Disco era?
    Boogie nights is heatwave, DISCO nights is gq.

boogie= roller/boogie. very big records that were popular amongst roller skaters.

Wait a second. Your sayin' Rollerskating Disco is what Boogie is.

HeatWave's Boogie Nights is 1976. GQ's Disco Nights is 1978. Where is there a distinguishable shift in the music there. What did I miss?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Define "boogie" for me.
    Yeah or neah?

Yeah, kind of. In the UK, "Boogie" was used to describe stuff leaning more to the dancefloor-oriented end of things around the mid-to-late 80's

Boogie more of Euro term, I don't know.

My answer will be this song by a US band called MYSTIC MERLIN recorded in 1981 in Hollywood.

http://www.rogepost.com/n/7922679348

I think the answer has been said, boogie = dance

So all Black Music that's dancable is Boogie?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

You don't get it Bat, all dancable Music is not dance.

PS/ Keep your shit :-)

You don't get it Bat, all dancable Music is not dance.

PS/ Keep your shit :-)

No one has given a clear description YET.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

No one has given a clear description YET.
    And you won't get one. I've been trying to get a definitive answer, only to be always given some roundabout schitt.

Oh well.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    I can't believe no one has mentioned this one yet...

Define "boogie" for me.
    Yeah or neah?

Yeah, kind of. In the UK, "Boogie" was used to describe stuff leaning more to the dancefloor-oriented end of things around the mid-to-late 80's

Boogie more of Euro term, I don't know.

My answer will be this song by a US band called MYSTIC MERLIN recorded in 1981 in Hollywood.

http://www.rogepost.com/n/7922679348

Well, we could be here all year, going back and forth about the etymology of boogie like true record nerds, but I was coming at the question from my own angle rather than trying to be definitive or anything. In the UK, at least, it tends to refer to a particular sound and style from a particular period. If asked to name an artist whose music could be described as boogie, most Brits familiar with the term would probably answer with Leroy Burgess. I mean, there's a lot of stuff been posted in this thread which could comfortably be described as boogie, but 25 years ago some of it would have been called jazz-funk in the UK, or even just plain soul. Obviously, some folks in here would dispute those definitions, because their perception of those terms is informed by something different. It's one of those unanswerable questions.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Well, we could be here all year, going back and forth about the etymology of boogie like true record nerds, but I was coming at the question from my own angle rather than trying to be definitive or anything. In the UK, at least, it tends to refer to a particular sound and style from a particular period. If asked to name an artist whose music could be described as boogie, most Brits familiar with the term would probably answer with Leroy Burgess. I mean, there's a lot of stuff been posted in this thread which could comfortably be described as boogie, but 25 years ago some of it would have been called jazz-funk in the UK, or even just plain soul. Obviously, some folks in here would dispute those definitions, because their perception of those terms is informed by something different. It's one of those unanswerable questions.

I'll leave the dispute to whoever wants to take it.

I think you're right on one point, the definition changes (a little bit) from LA to PARIS/LONDON/MILANO TO TOKYO.

But I assume there is a general definition of this word.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    is it the best?
    i don't know.
    but really dig some of the tunes on this one.

• TobiTobi 187 Posts

What's the Sedan LP sound like?

SG

A very solid LP from 85, the slow jams are nice as well. Check out my favourites "Keep It Comin'"

http://download.yousendit.com/2A00F29E7D5C5DF3

and "Kraz-Y 'Boucha":

http://download.yousendit.com/B6A2C5E31D1ECCDB

• TobiTobi 187 Posts

is "don't be mistaken" or "AM" on that 1st light LP? euro only release?

Both songs are on that LP + 6 others. I think it was only released in Europe as a full LP. I got a german pressing on Metronome.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    Leroy Burgess in his waxpoetics interview:

"boogie is nothing but disco, slowed down a little bit."

• Yea I pretty much heard the same thing from a friend last night.... Basically boogie is the answer to the coked out disco scene that began speeding everything up to 125-135

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I think "Mad Drama Teacher's" explanations re: the emphasis on 2 and 4 make the most sense to me and its sort of how I interpreted it - its almost the blending of funk and disco, maybe, the musical feel of disco blended w/ the 2+4 emphasis of funk? But I tend to prefer differentiation to be related to specific musical qualities rather than "music from a certain time and place called what its called because people said so," w/ the note that its all flexible and that these genre names change w/ time and context of discussion.

good posts by him in this thread in general