What is the best boogie albums?

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Yes there is a whole LP from 1984, it's called "I Need You". I think it was only released as a Rams Horn pressing:

http://www.cdandlp.com/liste/p_produit.c...&page=1?=0

Indeed. Out of my range. I think I'll just cop the reissue. That track you posted is fire, LP seems solid. You got the OG?

A friend told me it was released and then quickly withdrawn for some reason. I don't know if that is true, but it would explain why it never shows up..

Well, they apparently couldn't even settle on how to spell their name:

• all my records are in storage right now since i'm moving tomorrow, but here are a couple things i have on me:

you can't go wrong with this for "nights over egypt" alone...and it's a classic dollarbin record, although still a little tricky to catch.

this is a seldom seen early 12" from Full Force...not even sure if this is the same full force that was later on tommy boy, but it's a brooklyn record and it's killer boogie.

• is this boogie????

an easy to find $1 record that kicks ass.

is boogie different than late funk/modern soul? if so, someone plaese school.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

an easy to find $1 record that kicks ass.

You have some nice dollar bins in your area! If that were to show up 'round here, it would proabably be priced between $5 to $15.

SG

• i'd say "taste the music" is boogie. also on that lp is "de ting conitinues" which is pretty good...almost a disco rap track.

• Patrick that Uno record is real good, also pretty rare.

Don't have much info other than that.

• thanks for the info paycheck, i saw that madmosaic sold a copy on ebay recently, didn't go for too much. i think it's a bit unknown at this point so you can get it on the downlow for cheap. well worth it.

wow, so i just looked at the other side of the 12" sleeve and some info is listed on it. it's recorded in 1979 in Boston but mixed in NYC and mastered by Herb Powers. that's pretty early for Herb Powers...i don't record seeing his name on records until 82 or something. by 83 he was mastering everything! and the band is actually Uno, if they are a boston band...that's very interesting.

since everybody else is sharing, i just ripped Uno "Boogie Beat"...enjoy!

http://download.yousendit.com/B87EE0732D1694DB

• this is a seldom seen early 12" from Full Force...not even sure if this is the same full force that was later on tommy boy, but it's a brooklyn record and it's killer boogie.

The full force is the same group. there is another title on tryon park, which recently i saw a pic cover for it...very very dope 12" too.

if this were an indie release...heads would have already posted this. all time end to end top boogie lp.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

• i wonder if there is a park in Boston called Tryon Park...?

• i wonder if there is a park in Boston called Tryon Park...?

nope. tryon park is in the bronx.

• ok, so it's a new york label but the band must be from boston. weird. what was the other 12" you saw on the label like? i gotta say i don't make it up to the bronx that often.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    thanks to everyone posting up mp3's in here. i was gonna request a mix of this stuff...but these will hold me over for today.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Happy Birthday Dude.

• ok, so it's a new york label but the band must be from boston. weird. what was the other 12" you saw on the label like? i gotta say i don't make it up to the bronx that often.

eric nuri/ lets vote. nuri is from boston.

• Define "boogie" for me.

Anyone?

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Define "boogie" for me.

Anyone?

Sayin'...
    I'll venture a guess.
    Mediocre 80's records that nobody cared about
    10 years ago?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Define "boogie" for me.

Anyone?

Sayin'...
    I'll venture a guess.
    Mediocre 80's records that nobody cared about
    10 years ago?

Soulstrut has been through this many times. "Boogie", "modern soul", etc. seem to have no truly recognized definition but its been loosely agreed upon that its early 80's soul music with a non-disco beat.

So Boogie=Modern Soul?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    if you want to consider it that. Like I said there doesn't seem to be a universally recognized definition

Fair enough.

FYI I like:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    So Boogie=Modern Soul?

I always thought Boogie was a sub style within Disco. Wheras Modern Soul was being made during the latter days of Disco, petering out by the mid/late 80's.

• The only difference I draw between disco and boogie is the years it was made. However, a lot of the early 80s dance music could be called either disco or boogie, in my opinion. The drums didn't change -- still 4/4 with an emphasis on the second and fourth beats.

I say boogie can best be described as disco hijacked by 80s technology.

Seems like you guys really take to the early 80s boogie, which I can't really enjoy -- too slow and repetitive. If I see anything before 1982 on a 12", I usually pass it up. I wish I had my mixer so I could post up some stuff from my favorite boogie years (1983-1986). When I get it back, I'll make a mix for you all.

Oh, and Lesette Wilson's "Now That I've Got Your Attention" is a good boogie album, I think.

• As I go back and listen to some disco tracks and compare them to boogie tracks, I've noticed that most of the disco joints have a heavy 4-on-the-floor beat while boogie adds either a handclap or some sort of snap on the 2 and 4 beat.

So that's what I would say differentiates the two.

As I go back and listen to some disco tracks and compare them to boogie tracks, I've noticed that most of the disco joints have a heavy 4-on-the-floor beat while boogie adds either a handclap or some sort of snap on the 2 and 4 beat.

So that's what I would say differentiates the two.

So where would u place The Sylvers' Boogie Fever?

• Boogie's just an old-fashioned word for dance, as far as I know.

Tons of old R&B songs have 'boogie' in the title, but those don't belong anywhere near 80s boogie, obviously.

Boogie's just an old-fashioned word for dance, as far as I know.

Tons of old R&B songs have 'boogie' in the title, but those don't belong anywhere near 80s boogie, obviously.

True. Boogie Nights by GQ came out during the latter "Disco" Era.

Would it be just 80's vibe coming into Post disco(keyboards & drum machines) or would it be an artistic change within r&b/disco during the late 70's/early 80's?

Blame It On The Boogie? Black Dance music returning to Funk within the Disco era?

• Well it's definitely the 80s vibe from 80s technology such as drum machines and synths.

From what I've listened to, though, the hallmark of boogie seems to be the emphasis on 2 and 4 across the boogie spectrum (did I just say 'boogie spectrum'?). UK Boogie has it, Italo-Boogie has it, American Boogie has it.

boogie spectrum

But U dont have Boogie in the 70's?

• Yeah. I don't know how much, but I'd guess very little.

If you listen to Leroy Burgess's music both produced by and performed by, he mixes up the four-on-the-floor with the 2 and 4 beat. Take, for example, "Mainline" from 1979, which uses the four-on-the-floor disco beat. Then take "You've Got That Something" from 1981, which also uses a four-on-the-floor. But on the same album (Logg), you also get "Something Else," which has the 2 and 4 beat I've been talking about.

I consider Burgess's music the bridge between disco and boogie. While Logg is in between, his Black Ivory tracks are clearly disco and his solo stuff after Logg is clearly boogie.

• TobiTobi 187 Posts

Indeed. Out of my range. I think I'll just cop the reissue. That track you posted is fire, LP seems solid. You got the OG?

Yeah the whole LP is dope, only 6 songs but they're all Unfortunately I don't have the OG, a friend of mine got a double but wants too much for it Maybe I'll also cop the reissue...or I'll find the OG for 1 EURO, LOL

Here are some more great boogie/modern soul/whatever LPs: