El Paso TX/ New Mexico rackords/strutters?

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
looks like I'll be heading down To Las Cruces New Mexico by way of El Paso for a few days anyone know any spots, dealers, bbq joints they can recommend to a young fool?if there are spme strutters I can bring raers for trade or sale

Comments

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I couldn't find a single record in Las Cruces... but I was just passing thru and didn't exactly overly exert myself. Did real well in El Paso.. they hand out Black Fairy & Norman Williams LPs at the Goodwill. But the record vending headshops (and there are like 3 for whatever reason) suck all kindsa ass. However I have heard from people who've been to El P more recently that the shit is ass now. It's a big city tho.. surely you'll come up with something. They have a 1/2 price books kinda store that gets new stuff in.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Las Cruces sucks--I could never find a thing down there. Course, Santa Fe sucks too...

• Course, Santa Fe sucks too... Yes it does. I just moved out here, and haven't had much luck so far. The guy who owns the local shop told me "Most of the local collectors are banned from the store" Not very comforting. On my way to Colorado tomorrow, hopefully I'll turn some things up there. Thanks Ari

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    you guys aren't making me feel very excited about this trip, should I tell my friend that she should consider getting married somewhere else?

Santa Fe oh god... Worst city for diggin evar. Audio Synergy = pure derpression. Nothing worth buying and I got scolded for touching a LP jacket wrong.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    what do you do if you live in a city with no records and no surrounding cities for records?

do you curl up and die?

or do you not notice?

sort of like if you never knew what a computer was

i mean, Santa Fe heads can go to Albuquerque right?

• Someone help. I love sunsets and all, but without records to look at insanity can't be far.

• i mean, Santa Fe heads can go to Albuquerque right?

I don't think Albuquerque is much better.

Albuquerque has a lot of records shops which all sucked for me.

• NM has no records whatsoever but has the turquoise game on lock

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    NM has no records whatsoever but has the turquoise game on lock

please tell me Turquoise was a local modern soul group that released several private press albums all of which are mythical raers that will melt my skull and nostrils like a coke blizzard

• El Paso: affectionately known as El Piss-Hole.

I don't trust any part of Texas that's not in the Central Time Zone.

• I don't trust any part of Texas that's not in the Central Time Zone.

Hey now, I grew up there and I'm only half-crazy. I haven't been back in forever but there was a warehouse on Doniphan on the westside of town that had a ton of records. It's called Moldy Oldies if i'm not mistaken.

For food and fight watching hit up Chico's Tacos... a chuco town classic.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Find me Lou Pride 45's in El Paso mang.

If you have wheels and some time, no records in Marfa but it's one hell of town worth visiting.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    So there's really no record stores down in the west Texas town of El Paso? I'm going there next weekend, and without records, I guess I'll have to just fall in love with a Mexican girl.

• i mean, Santa Fe heads can go to Albuquerque right?

Albuquerque has a lot of records shops which all sucked for me.

albq does suck for records. mecca is rarely open when im down there and they have mostly overpriced used-dirtstyle and mor sample fodder for days and days. la underground is the hiphop shop w/ reissues and the newer 12"s/lps. theres a few book/record stores but they mostly are filled w/ edgar winters and bad co. Charley's is kinda huge but once i went through the inventory i was really disa[ppointed. the best piece they had in the whole massive store was a 80's reissue of james brown live at the apollo and that they had behind the counter in the new arrivals bin. nm supposedly has a pretty nice record convention but i always manage to miss it and just hit up the denver one instead.

any strutters coming through colorado from the south drop me a pm. im in the very southwestern tip of colorado (durango) and would be down to meet any stutters traveling through for some trades/mixing/blunties/bs'n..

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    what do you do if you live in a city with no records and no surrounding cities for records?

do you curl up and die?

or do you not notice?

sort of like if you never knew what a computer was

No rekkids in your town do what the others do and give into EGay or the super deals on SS set sales. And by the way can I mention how good some have been over the last couple of months.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Wax Museum records opened up a while back in El Paso.
    720 Montana Ave.
    (915)532-8585

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I'll check it out. Thanks billbradley.

JRoot

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    If you REALLY want to dig.......I mean dig through 40K records that are dirty, moldy, and unorganized you should go here...

The Whoopee Bowl Antique Mall
    9010 N. Desert Blvd. (Exit 2 (Vinton/Westway) off I-10 West
    800-253-9837

My brother and I spent 5 hours and only got through 2/3rds of the place.
    Everything is 2 bucks and I bought about 60 LP's including a sealed LP on Chocolate Cholly, a few big psych LP's and some private press local stuff....didn't even bother with the 12"s.....apparently even the locals don't know about this place.....you will need a shower as exiting the building but this is the kind of digging I like.................good luck.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Wow Rock, hookin folks up!

If you REALLY want to dig.......I mean dig through 40K records that are dirty, moldy, and unorganized you should go here...

The Whoopee Bowl Antique Mall
    9010 N. Desert Blvd. (Exit 2 (Vinton/Westway) off I-10 West
    800-253-9837

My brother and I spent 5 hours and only got through 2/3rds of the place.
    Everything is 2 bucks and I bought about 60 LP's including a sealed LP on Chocolate Cholly, a few big psych LP's and some private press local stuff....didn't even bother with the 12"s.....apparently even the locals don't know about this place.....you will need a shower as exiting the building but this is the kind of digging I like.................good luck.

Damn at least let a fellow Texan hit it up before spillin the beans to valley girls and shit.

• On the way to Las Cruces you should stop at the hot springs in Truth or Consequences.

Meditating on records coveted - while bathing - will undoubtedly increase raer finder mojo.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I don't trust any part of Texas that's not in the Central Time Zone.

Hey now, I grew up there and I'm only half-crazy. I haven't been back in forever but there was a warehouse on Doniphan on the westside of town that had a ton of records. It's called Moldy Oldies if i'm not mistaken.

For food and fight watching hit up Chico's Tacos... a chuco town classic.

I've heard much about Chico's tacos.. A place that was frequently mentioned by these guys:

Whose new album is freakin fire btw..

Hey Guzzo call up Doe about a certain Radio station in NM.

- spidey

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    A message I've sent to a few other soulstrutters:

Here are some suggestions for El Paso...

Mouse House Records is a large warehouse with about 30,000 records in it. It is fairly picked through and totally unorganized but is fun to spend a day digging through. The old lady that owns it is really nice. She plays records and laughs all day long while talking to people that come in. Mouse House isn't listed in the phone book so I'll give you the general directions on how to get there.

Take I-10 West to the 2nd Mesa St. exit (the first Mesa St. exit is closer to downtown). Turn Left on Mesa and go to Doniphan. Turn right on Doniphan.

Mouse House is in a group of warehouses down on the right. You have to drive a little while on Doniphan to get to them. If you get to the next highway that intersects Doniphan you've gone too far. Mouse house is in the back right of those antiques warehouses.

Another record shop opened up right across from Mouse House called Rockin T. I picked up some decent records there last time I was in town but he tends to mark up anything that is worth something.

Then around the corner a St. Vincent de Paul thrift store opened up recently also. A couple weeks ago I picked up 16 records at .50 cents each in there.

All three are located at the address below

Rockin -T-
    Wayne Tranter (Fri-Sat-Sun)
    6018 Doniphan
    Suite D-5
    El Paso, TX 79932
    (915)581-2522

The only other place I've had any luck at is Time Capsule. It is a collectibles shop that sells baseball cards, figurines, and records.

Time Capsule
    (915) 845-2415
    6501 N Mesa St # D
    El Paso, TX 79912

There are Goodwill and other thrift shops around town but everyone that has reported back to me said it was a complete waste of time going through them. I've only been through a few of those so far and everytime I've checked I haven't turned anything up.

Good luck diggin' out there.

• looks like I'll be heading down To Las Cruces New Mexico by way of El Paso for a few days

anyone know any spots, dealers, bbq joints they can recommend to a young fool?

if there are spme strutters I can bring raers for trade or sale

If ur in El Paso be sure to eat some Whataburger. best burgers in town! as far as records, every spot has been listed. good luck at the Mouse House store. its been gone thru by so many diggers. but she always gets new stuff all the time. prepare for about 3-4 hours of diggin. havent been to the whoopee place in years. might have to stop in next time i go visit my tio Juan Tonkas.
    Chuco Town - The armpit of America

• For food and fight watching hit up Chico's Tacos... a chuco town classic.

I've heard much about Chico's tacos.. A place that was frequently mentioned by these guys:

Whose new album is freakin fire btw..

- spidey
    dude. I've had the pleasure of having this album for several months. It really is bonkers.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Got back from my trip to El Paso and Las Cruces. Thanks for the tips about record stores in El Paso. Here's how I found them.

The Wax Museum is a lovely boutique shop, staffed by a friendly guy named Matthew. Not a huge number of records, but generally excellent selection. This makes a difference to a man who values his time. Also, if you want to get graffiti books and such, this is your place. I picked up a couple of records on Strata East, Ronald Shannon Jackson and the Decoding Society's "Barbeque Dog" (black rock/jazz freakout record that features a young Vernon Reid), an early Cal Tjader record, the latest Wax Poetics, and some other records that I've already forgotten about (incl. Introducing the Hardline according to Terence Trent D'Arby which was in the dollar bin, but he threw it in for free, prompting me to ask him to sign his name across my heart!). The records haven't arrived yet (ship to self is so necessary). If you're into graffiti stuff (books and the pens and whatnot), Wax Museum is there for you as well.

A bit down Montana from The Wax Museum is a burrito spot that Matthew hipped me to - Rafa's Burritos. Excellent thick flour tortilla wrapping up some of that beef-potato stew filling that you can't get around here in mid-Missouri. It has a name, but I always forget what it is.

Rockin T records was an overpriced waste of time, but to the credit of the proprietor, it was decently organized.

Mouse House was also overpriced and horribly chaotic - piles of dusty, grimy records everyplace - but the lady was so nice that I wound up getting three records from her - an Eddie Harris record (Instant Death), and two comedy records - one from Yazoo City, MS, and the other from Maine. $13.00. Like I said, no bargain. If you had a day and a box of wet naps and some knowledge of west texas 45 heatery, you might make a go of it at Mouse House. But maybe someone like that already did make a go of it, leaving you with a grip of common records and a lung problem.

The Whoopee Bowl Antique Mall was the farthest west into the setting sun and so it fell victim to my desire to get to Las Cruces by dinnertime/sundown. So if you wet mouths found your mouths watering at Rock's description, it's still untouched.

I didn't even look for records in Las Cruces, but I can recommend the breakfast at Nellie's Cafe. I can also vouch for the Whataburger. Good, thin, wide fastfood hamburger. Fries at whataburger were so-so, and the shake was very thick but a little icy/crystally (not a good thing), but the burger was really satisfying. I ate something at the village inn after the wedding reception ended, but I can't really tell you what it was because I don't remember (huevos rancheros rings a dim bell in the bowels).

Thanks for your help in making this an even better time for me. If you're coming to mid-Missouri, please to holleur so I can return the favor.

JRoot

• Got back from my trip to El Paso and Las Cruces. Thanks for the tips about record stores in El Paso. Here's how I found them.

The Wax Museum is a lovely boutique shop, staffed by a friendly guy named Matthew. Not a huge number of records, but generally excellent selection. This makes a difference to a man who values his time. Also, if you want to get graffiti books and such, this is your place. I picked up a couple of records on Strata East, Ronald Shannon Jackson and the Decoding Society's "Barbeque Dog" (black rock/jazz freakout record that features a young Vernon Reid), an early Cal Tjader record, the latest Wax Poetics, and some other records that I've already forgotten about (incl. Introducing the Hardline according to Terence Trent D'Arby which was in the dollar bin, but he threw it in for free, prompting me to ask him to sign his name across my heart!). The records haven't arrived yet (ship to self is so necessary). If you're into graffiti stuff (books and the pens and whatnot), Wax Museum is there for you as well.

A bit down Montana from The Wax Museum is a burrito spot that Matthew hipped me to - Rafa's Burritos. Excellent thick flour tortilla wrapping up some of that beef-potato stew filling that you can't get around here in mid-Missouri. It has a name, but I always forget what it is.

Rockin T records was an overpriced waste of time, but to the credit of the proprietor, it was decently organized.

Mouse House was also overpriced and horribly chaotic - piles of dusty, grimy records everyplace - but the lady was so nice that I wound up getting three records from her - an Eddie Harris record (Instant Death), and two comedy records - one from Yazoo City, MS, and the other from Maine. $13.00. Like I said, no bargain. If you had a day and a box of wet naps and some knowledge of west texas 45 heatery, you might make a go of it at Mouse House. But maybe someone like that already did make a go of it, leaving you with a grip of common records and a lung problem.

The Whoopee Bowl Antique Mall was the farthest west into the setting sun and so it fell victim to my desire to get to Las Cruces by dinnertime/sundown. So if you wet mouths found your mouths watering at Rock's description, it's still untouched.

I didn't even look for records in Las Cruces, but I can recommend the breakfast at Nellie's Cafe. I can also vouch for the Whataburger. Good, thin, wide fastfood hamburger. Fries at whataburger were so-so, and the shake was very thick but a little icy/crystally (not a good thing), but the burger was really satisfying. I ate something at the village inn after the wedding reception ended, but I can't really tell you what it was because I don't remember (huevos rancheros rings a dim bell in the bowels).

Thanks for your help in making this an even better time for me. If you're coming to mid-Missouri, please to holleur so I can return the favor.

JRoot

YEAH THE WHATABURGER FRIES ARE A LIL WEAK BUT THE BURGER WAS BOMB RITE!!

Thanks for reporting back about El Paso. I'm always curious to see how other people make out on their trips there. I usually go about 2 or 3 times a year to visit the in-laws. I'm surprised about Mouse House's prices. She always had most of her stuff pretty cheap when I went but the past few times I've skipped out on going through there as too many locals and diggers from out of town have pulled most of the good records. The Whoopee Bowl is definitely where its at but you are likely to get sick from all of the mold. My hands were black when I was done in there. I need to check out the Wax Museum next time I'm in town and pickup some graffiti books.