what are good games for the dreamcast?

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
my friend was going to throw his out so i took it. i don't really have much knowledge of systems more than 8-bit. what are some fun games? i bought ready 2 rumble, crazy taxi and resident evil veronica off of half.com. hope they don't suck. also, are there ways to find torrents of dc games and um make "back up" copies to cd?i want to get a nintendo wii but jesus these things are impossible to get.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    shenmue

• Jet Grind Radio.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

Soul Caliber

Sonic adventure 2

Nba 2k2

Nfl2k2

Nfl Blitz

Resident Evil 2, 3, Code Veronica

Tony Hawk 2

Phantasy Star Online

Pilot wings

Power Stone

Evil Dead: Hail to the king

Jet Set Radio

Bust a move 4

Crazy Taxi

that's all I can think of..

- spidey

my friend was going to throw his out so i took it. i don't really have much knowledge of systems more than 8-bit. what are some fun games? i bought ready 2 rumble, crazy taxi and resident evil veronica off of half.com. hope they don't suck. also, are there ways to find torrents of dc games and um make "back up" copies to cd?

i want to get a nintendo wii but jesus these things are impossible to get.

Yeah those 3 are fun, but don't buy them online, either download and burn your own from Demonoid. Or, get them for the swap meet most Dc games are like 5 bucks a pop now.

- spidey

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    bust-a-move

• numericnumeric 152 Posts
    Resident Evil Code Veronica was great at the time.

Seaman, MR Driller, SOUL CALIBUR!, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, Shenmue, etc.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    shenmue

this shit was dope!
    anyone ever catch the second one?

bust-a-move

http://www.ventoline.com/frozenbubble/bustamove640.html

I still play this game everyday.

- spidey

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    my friend was going to throw his out so i took it. i don't really have much knowledge of systems more than 8-bit. what are some fun games? i bought ready 2 rumble, crazy taxi and resident evil veronica off of half.com. hope they don't suck. also, are there ways to find torrents of dc games and um make "back up" copies to cd?

Yeah those 3 are fun, but don't buy them online, either download and burn your own from Demonoid. Or, get them for the swap meet most Dc games are like 5 bucks a pop now.

- spidey

thanks for the titles and tips! demonoid registration is closed at the time, but i found some results for sonic adventure on xtorrent. are there any special steps to burn a dreamcast cd or do i just drag the contents and copy? i can't find any info on how to do it, if there are any special procedures...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

- spidey

thanks for the titles and tips! demonoid registration is closed at the time, but i found some results for sonic adventure on xtorrent. are there any special steps to burn a dreamcast cd or do i just drag the contents and copy? i can't find any info on how to do it, if there are any special procedures...

There's a ridiculously elaborate process for burning Dreamcast games as I remember, involving mod chips, similar to what you had to do to burn PS2 games. That was like 4 years ago though, so I don't know if they figured out a better way.

Nah, it's mad easy. I used to bootleg these games in highschool. You don't need a modchip. Sometimes you'll need a bootdisk, but eh. Usually it's download the Dreamcast game it comes in CDI format burn it with Disc juggler. If it's in any other format you gotta use a bootdisk. That's it simple.

Here's a more elaborate guide:

http://dreamlover.tecbox.com/

- spidey

• don't forget to wear a jacket

^hahaha now that's just over the top!

A*****, see if this link works for you.

http://isohunt.com/torrents/?ihq=dreamcast

http://dc-scene.wrzhost.com/

- spidey

thanks, i just got an invite code for demonoid. i don't think i'll be able to burn these though, because they only make discjuggler for windows. thanks for the help anyway

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    you got the best video game system ever. no bullshit i nearly wrote an essay on this shit, but here's a few quick favorites:

basically any capcom fighter, but especially power stone 2 is the best "wacky" four player fighter ever made (think smash brothers, but in 3-d, with more complex combo based fighting, dynamic levels and customizable weapons).

if you're down to get your importing on (or, as some other suggested - burning) there's a slew of bizarre and beautiful end of generation joints - Ikaruga, rez and cosmic smash are all basically works of art. they really went balls to the wall near the end of their run. to give you an idea of the sort of genius/madness they were working with - as dreamcast was failing they released a a satirical rpg called segagaga, where you run a failing video game company. unfortunately it was never translated. here's a clip:

also sega was able to make terribly boring sports like tennis (virtua tennis) and fishing (bass fishing and marine fishing, if you've got the rod) into really fun games.

• i bought one on 9/9/99 and it's still #1 system

Typing of The Dead - sega took a game where you shoot zombie and replaced the guns with a computer keyboard.

Soul Calabur, Street Fighter Alpha 3, & Marvel vs. Capcom 2 are some of the best fighting games ever made

Space Channel 5 is a really fun game too

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Typing of The Dead - sega took a game where you shoot zombie and replaced the guns with a computer keyboard.

YES

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Great and tragic system. I can't recommend Mr. Driller because it's the videogame incarnation of hard drugs. You'll waste your life away playing it because its so addicting and fun. Definitely gotta give a nod to Street Fighter Alpha 3 though.

• masarumasaru 63 Posts
    shenmue

this shit was dope!

Shenmue 2 is (if you can believe it) about 1000x better than the first one. It's literally the best video game experience I've ever had. Utterly absorbing and...shit, the last disc/segment is unreal for what it achieves.

Completely devastating that the Shenmue saga will probably never finish.

shenmue

this shit was dope!

Shenmue 2 is (if you can believe it) about 1000x better than the first one. It's literally the best video game experience I've ever had. Utterly absorbing and...shit, the last disc/segment is unreal for what it achieves.

Completely devastating that the Shenmue saga will probably never finish.

Yes, yes yes yes yes.

Shenmue 3 on X-box, even though I was secretly hoping for a Shenmue Online. Damn you Yu suzuki.

- spidey

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    I'll cosign on Shenmue and most of the games mentioned here. Been trying to find Shenmue 2 on the cheap for the last few months but it's something like $40-$50 on eBay. Madness.

• chu chu rocket!!!!!!!!!!

• masarumasaru 63 Posts
    Shenmue 3 on X-box, even though I was secretly hoping for a Shenmue Online. Damn you Yu suzuki.

- spidey

think you got that backwards... Shenmue Online is for real: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenmue_Online

Shenmue 3 is very likely never going to come out.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    bust-a-move

This is a great two-player game ... one player is fun too, but its very addictive in competitive mode. Very playable ... almost Tetris status.

I'll cosign on Shenmue and most of the games mentioned here. Been trying to find Shenmue 2 on the cheap for the last few months but it's something like $40-$50 on eBay. Madness.

i have these shenmue II 4-disc copies that my friend had from his friend who gave him the DC console. i cannot for the life of me figure out how to make them work. since i guess they are import games, i am guessing something special needs to happen for them to load? i spent a lot of time last night figuring out how to make a boot-cd and when i finally was able to burn one that worked, it still didn't allow the shenmue discs to load. if you have any ideas i wouldn't mind hooking you up with copies, if they indeed are capable of loading.

• chu chu rocket!!!!!!!!!!

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

• slushslush 691 Posts
    bomberman!!!!!

skies of arcadia
    shenmue 2 of course
    worms armageddon
    power stone 2

there was a new christmas edition of the nes emulator last year. it included online play and a bunch of other stuff.

i have these shenmue II 4-disc copies that my friend had from his friend who gave him the DC console. i cannot for the life of me figure out how to make them work. since i guess they are import games, i am guessing something special needs to happen for them to load? i spent a lot of time last night figuring out how to make a boot-cd and when i finally was able to burn one that worked, it still didn't allow the shenmue discs to load. if you have any ideas i wouldn't mind hooking you up with copies, if they indeed are capable of loading.

You need a PAL to American conversion CD. I can consult a friend on this one, cuz I wouldn't know where/how to do this either.