RECOMMEND ME SOME SOLID, FIVE MIC DISCO LPs

13»

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Nothing obscure, but you can't front on these:

Oh, but I can.

Pillow Talk is that classic mellow disco - a sure guilty pleasure.

I woulda figured this album would be slightly EARLY (1973) to be disco-as-we-know-it. I mean, callitwhatchawanna (and she did do some self-consciously disco records later on), but "Pillow Talk" seems a li'l too SOULISH to sit next to Donna Summer and Gloria Gaynor.

I know I'm gonna catch some bricks for saying that, but somebody needed to!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Oh, but I can.

I woulda figured this album would be slightly EARLY (1973) to be disco-as-we-know-it. I mean, callitwhatchawanna (and she did do some self-consciously disco records later on), but "Pillow Talk" seems a li'l too SOULISH to sit next to Donna Summer and Gloria Gaynor.

Its not disco.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Oh, but I can.

Its not disco.

Nor is it listenable.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Oh, but I can.

Its not disco.

That's what I thought.

Nor is it listenable.

I got a handful of 45's by her (including a revived "Mickey & Sylvia" single on, I think, Turbo), and most are good for what they are, but I figured a whole album of her constant whispering would probably get old after awhile.

• Double Exposure - Ten Percent.

I got a handful of 45's by her (including a revived "Mickey & Sylvia" single on, I think, Turbo), and most are good for what they are, but I figured a whole album of her constant whispering would probably get old after awhile.

The only musically worthwhile schitt that Sylvia ever did, IMO, was back in the 1950s.

All those "Pillowtalk" type schitts, while fun as novelty records, don't actually stand up as music.

Next thing dudes will be in here talking about how her "It's Good To Be The Queen" rap is a slept-on old school classic.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

The only musically worthwhile schitt that Sylvia ever did, IMO, was back in the 1950s.

She has some good 45's from the early-mid 60's, too, on Sue
    and a couple other labels, but, yeah, most of that "Pillow
    Talk" stuff is as Dr. Demento as Frank Zappa...her "Soul j'Taime"
    with Ralfi Pagan - a cover of the Serge Gainsbourg/Jane Birkin hit -
    is a 45 worth owning, for a few laughs.

• Next thing dudes will be in here talking about how her "It's Good To Be The Queen" rap is a slept-on old school classic.

"Novelty Rap", son.

GET FAMILIAR!

Next thing dudes will be in here talking about how her "It's Good To Be The Queen" rap is a slept-on old school classic.

"Novelty Rap", son.

The next great collectro frontier

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

"Novelty Rap", son.

Wasn't there some Gilligan's Island-themed old school
    rap 45 that dudes were dropping hundreds on, until weight of
    it was found in Connecticut last year?

In other words, don't donate that Morris Minor 12" just yet!

• Next thing dudes will be in here talking about how her "It's Good To Be The Queen" rap is a slept-on old school classic.

"Novelty Rap", son.

Wasn't there some Gilligan's Island-themed old school
    rap 45 that dudes were dropping hundreds on, until weight of
    it was found in Connecticut last year?

A bit different - as that was by the otherwise-not-novelty-rap Mister Magic. And I believe dudes are still dropping hundreds... only 20 or so were found.

When that German guy actually comes through with $$$ for Metsmerized then I will believe.