RECOMMEND ME SOME SOLID, FIVE MIC DISCO LPs

Comments

• patti jo = not disco.

That's rather arbitrary... what would you call it then?

to me its disco. once again strings, a soulful gritty vocalist over a drum beat that just does not quit..which also bitd was huuuuge in the "discos". as told to me from heads who were there.
    if it was played in a disco, doesnt that really mean disco..this is how the term came to be.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    it seems more like Soul to me... i suppose the strings do have somewhat of a disco sound, but the rest of the rhythm is not like a standard 'disco' track . Ie. Kick on beat one, snare on beat 2 , kick on beat 3, etc.. i am speaking of 'would you believe in me'

if it was played in a disco, doesnt that really mean disco..this is how the term came to be.

i guess that is another discussion, early 70s james brown tracks may have been played in a disco back in the day...

• Yeah... well as Kon said I would say 99% of all disco is really just danceable soul music... I play and hear that record in disco sets all the time, it fits right in.

• COMPLETELY INSANE AFRO DISCO FUNK MADNESS ? TOTALLY RARE AND UNPOPSIKEABLE------------>!!!

the white pam todd !

Yeah... well as Kon said I would say 99% of all disco is really just danceable soul music... I play and hear that record in disco sets all the time, it fits right in.

fair enough , i can definitely see that... the bottom line is that it is a hot ass track and it makes people dance !

• Yeah... well as Kon said I would say 99% of all disco is really just danceable soul music... I play and hear that record in disco sets all the time, it fits right in.

fair enough , i can definitely see that... the bottom line is that it is a hot ass track and it makes people dance !

• on the other hand , lots of great boogie lps. almost anything rod temperton wrote was destined to become classic.

what do yall think are some of the greatest boogie 12"s ?

back to the og topic...i believe one is hard pressed to find a disco lp that is all out killer.
    i actually like the slo jam come be my lady off the ot sykes lp ...some killer cuts on it but, by no means is the whole thing solid.

on the donna mcghee...i love that lp. so funny that even after being reissued the price has yet to drop.

francis where you at ???

on the other hand , lots of great boogie lps. almost anything rod temperton wrote was destined to become classic.

what do yall think are some of the greatest boogie 12"s ?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i can definitely see that... the bottom line is that it is a hot ass track and it makes people dance !

Cats played EWF's POWER in the clubs back then but I would call that a disco track.

I bet the cat who requested "DISCO" wants the "genre".

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

and

I know how ubiquitous it is but...

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

HARRY MOSCO - NIGERIA

raer mind blowing afro boogie Lp.

HARRY MOSCO - NIGERIA

raer mind blowing afro boogie Lp.

Holy shit

easy dude! this shit is fire!

on that note , check out these totally unknown joints from a 45 a friend of mine has.. i think his brother picked it up in Kenya in the late 90s but i might be wrong.. i have no idea about it and can't find any info anywhere.

Dala Hamis (Mombasa Roots Band) - Everything

Dala Hamis (Mombasa Roots Band) - What Is It That You Want

enjoy

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Nice ones!

I had to remove the soundclips, sorry. I don`t want to draw
    to much attention on this record... I still have to find one for myself.

Another Afrokiler:

http://analogafrica.cybsys.net/mp3/GNONNAS1.mp3

Gnonnas Pedro

• uh... that record is not exactly a secret.

uh... that record is not exactly a secret.

johnny, do you know the ones i posted? i'm curious if anyone has any info

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

YOU HAVE ALREADY SAID TOO MUCH!

• nope, didn't know those ones... but I have seen the first one on a number of occasions in rare groove shops or whatever.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Anyone got the disco juice comps?

Love these!

• Picked up about 50 disco pieces from the local library sale a few weeks ago. The Single and the LP for that Gonzalez with the massive break at the beginning. The Arpeggio has a real nice cover of Del Shannon's "Run Away". France Joli is pretty good and has a lot of nice long percussion breaks. The TGIF 3XLP and Disco Party 2xLP (Marlin/TK) are two of the most massive crate savers. Saturday Night Fever ain't even touchin em.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

YOU HAVE ALREADY SAID TOO MUCH!

It takes a cold heart to disabuse little dudes of the secretness of their squirrels...

• squirrels...

Someone once told me that getting your butt licked was called getting a squirrel.

I think I was in 7th grade.

I always wonder why nobody brings up Salsoul Orchestra in disco threads. Street Sense's has always been a fav.

• "Nice N Nasty"

"Nice N Nasty"

Indeed. Maybe it's cause people always think of the 12"s. But they did a couple of good LPs.

• moment of truth on salsoul.
    harry mosco has a 12" from the 80s that is dope.
    teena marie/ rufus chaka kahn/ t.s monk/
    when you think your done...your not.theres alot out there...go find out.

dont ever ever never ever......buy the flashback band lp!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Anyone got the disco juice comps?

Love these!

these are dope, gives you a great perspective on the range of disco

chic definitely belong in this thread

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

dont ever ever never ever......buy the flashback band lp!

wouldn't call it a disco record by any means, kon.
    it also has 16 songs and i don't think you heard them all.
    ain't mad at ya.
    but there's actually some deep tracks on there.
    and junk too.
    no matter what you say, it is still to many.

• dont ever ever never ever......buy the flashback band lp!

wouldn't call it a disco record by any means, kon.
    it also has 16 songs and i don't think you heard them all.
    ain't mad at ya.
    but there's actually some deep tracks on there.
    and junk too.
    no matter what you say, it is still to many.

bring em out bring em out...i knew if i posted that you'd come out. of course its a holy grail, in france.

some of the lp's pictured in this thread are not disco either..more like the music on the flashback band/boogie.

i am definetly not mad that you turned em up...where them dollars at.
    aleit, you do have some other things that uhhh are
    the most graemlins ive used here.

• First 4 Brass Construction LPs