What Kind of Car do you Drive?

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

but I'm looking at doing THIS in the next 3-4 years or so.

^^^HELLS YEAH. That's a good look C*sm*! HYBRID[/b] cars are hopefully in all of our futures.

Seriously we all should change our line of thinking towards buying/driving cars that are less harmful to the environment.

And as for question that you asked me, Bozak, I'm drawn to luxury sedans but my wife is steadfast in her line of thinking that we do not purchase a German car (WW2/Nazi related reasons.) I'm just saying, I love those cars and the engineering and design but I just don't see me ever owning one.

But I like my Toyota Corolla S and it's been great to me. Mine actuallly has a little body damage that I have to get fixed up, but other than that it's been unbelieveably dependable and get's great mileage. The Lexus is the next step up from that so that's really where I want to go. Plus, have you ever had a ride in one of those machines? So fresh...

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    The one thing that kills me about luxury cars is the QUIET ride. That wonderful sound of closing the door of a fine auto, and you know you're in for a peaceful ride.

I have a '03 Jetta too and it's pretty noisy on the highway.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

Total Monthly Gas Bill - $1,200.00

Did Al Gore call you yet?

Why, you think he might offer me a ride in his Limo??

Or maybe his private jet??

you mean carpooling?

great idea!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I had a Jetta once (an 87, my first car) but it ended up being a piece of shit. The electrical system was all fucked up, and I found out that Volkswagen in general all have faulty electrical and wiring systems, even new ones right off the lot.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Geeez a lot you guys are ballers, a good lookin' group of ballers if I may add.

I just got my DL and first car going a few months back. Its a little 89' Red Isuzu pick up. I didnt pay hardly anything for it but Ive already put a bunch of money into it. I love it but Im already thinking about buying a old car of some sort. Something big and maybe something classic. I hope to always have a truck though because you cant beat being able to haul stuff around and you never have to play taxi.

• 95 blue-green Corolla wagon. no shame either. i lurve that thing. seriously can't think of a better car for me

ok what do i sound?

• Have any soulstrutters ever had anything stolen from them that could be attritubed to a messageboard?

I am curious...everyone shares great things here...I just hope no one has been burned by evil doers...too many shady people in the record bizness

jus a thought...

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    Seriously we all should change our line of thinking towards buying/driving cars that are less harmful to the environment.

i would have hybrid-ized but the Element didnt (and i think still doesnt) come in hybrid. Why they dont, ive no clue - everybody who owns one is totally they type who would go for a hybrid.

I figure by the time i put about 300K on this thing (its a Honda, itll make it!), theyll have sorted out the plug-in electric/hydrogen fuel cell Element (in white for reflecting the damn sun), and that will be my next ride.

• i used to whip this joint....1984 vw gti rabbit. i sold it. i have had 2 gtis, and a 1990 jetta all done up.
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

wish i never sold it...shit used to flyyyyyy.
    now i drive a 2002 4motion passat.

• I had a Jetta once (an 87, my first car) but it ended up being a piece of shit. The electrical system was all fucked up, and I found out that Volkswagen in general all have faulty electrical and wiring systems, even new ones right off the lot.

i have owned 5 vws...never a prob. but germans are not known for the electrical expertise...the japanese are. only new whip i would buy IF i was rich, would be an aston martin. everytime i see cribs or some shit its always the same old shit. nobody really seems to be doin it.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

BAAALLLLLLIN'

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I'm in absolutely no financial shape to be thinking about getting a new car right now--I'm just very thankful for the one I currently have--but a couple of years ago, I decided that when I do eventually get a new car, it's going to be a hybrid. Especially considering that 90 percent of my driving is local (or, if I'm on the highway, sitting in traffic waiting to get on the Bay Bridge). 60 mpg for such situations is a fantastic look to me.

• Seriously we all should change our line of thinking towards buying/driving cars that are less harmful to the environment.

I'm in absolutely no financial shape to be thinking about getting a new car right now--I'm just very thankful for the one I currently have--but a couple of years ago, I decided that when I do eventually get a new car, it's going to be a hybrid. Especially considering that 90 percent of my driving is local (or, if I'm on the highway, sitting in traffic waiting to get on the Bay Bridge). 60 mpg for such situations is a fantastic look to me.

Seriously, we bought our new car on Saturday- about a year before we would have liked to, but it wasn't our choice when that asshole would be drinking a bottle of water and not paying attention and hit me from behind as I was going 55 and he 80.

So, we had to buy a car, because I drive 35 miles each way to work...

Fuel effiency was number two on the list behind safety, and just in front on cost. Which is why we got the Fit- 37 MPG- over the hybrid for $5000 less. Had we had more time to save/plan, I would have loved to get a hybrid, and if we ever need a 2nd Car (trying to avoid 2 cars) we will go that route.

Right now, the economics of a hybrid doesn't QUITE work out (save enough in gas to make up the added cost) but it is important they keep selling so they will be made/the technology continues to develop...

anyway. i'll get off my little horse, but this is my way to say i cosine, and to offer my recent experiences with buying cars with fuel efficiency in mind, and offer what i learned about their costs.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

Right now, the economics of a hybrid doesn't QUITE work out (save enough in gas to make up the added cost) but it is important they keep selling so they will be made/the technology continues to develop...

anyway. i'll get off my little horse, but this is my way to say i cosine, and to offer my recent experiences with buying cars with fuel efficiency in mind, and offer what i learned about their costs.

i was in the understanding that folks got some sort of tax break when they purchase hybrids? maybe this is only in california. also they let them drive in car pool lanes w/ only one person in them too.

anyways i rock a dented as f*ck 94 honda civic hatchback w/ 182,000 miles on it. it still gets 30mpg so im pretty cool with it.

im looking to upgrade to a subaru forester (yeah soccer mom) hopefully this year but im in no rush.

-rkw

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Depending on where the problem is, my commute can be as low as 7 miles each way or, as was most of 2004/5, 72 miles each way. Being self-employed means no show = no money, so needed something reliable and safe. I do maybe 30-40,000 miles a year in the worst cases.

Went for this:

Great car. So I ended up with another one (saloon in red) for the Mrs. I was hit by a lorry back in 2004 in it and it held up well enough for me to be able to make work the next day.

Previously was VW through and through, had 3 A2 GTIs - this was the trickest one...

...But VW locks are so easy to break into, and on the Mk4/5 Golfs you can't change a headlight bulb without the dealer having to dismantle the front end to r4pe you ??2 for the bulb and ??200 for labour. Plus, they are too slow now. The early Golfs are pure go-karts .

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    I had a Jetta once (an 87, my first car) but it ended up being a piece of shit. The electrical system was all fucked up, and I found out that Volkswagen in general all have faulty electrical and wiring systems, even new ones right off the lot.

one of the shittier jobs I had was sellin audio equipment at circuit city. my area was right next to the car audio stuff. I would chat with those dudes all the time and they would shit on audi and vw so hard for the wiring! one dude told me they would just turn anyone away that had either of those cars regardless of what they wanted done. I always thought those makes were well made...

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

This isn't my exact one, but you get the idea. I'm on some wannabe baller steez, but its comfy and looks real pwetty.

I wanna see what kind of off the hook Aston Porsche DB911 type steez folks can see Reynaldo rolling in when he aint kickin it in his Audiomansion???

• Obviously I don't drive it...

• got one of these due for delivery in 2 weeks time

0-60 in 6.5s, not bad

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Is that a custom colour? Only ever seen metallic Tango and Blue on that Focus. I preferred the old shape.

• Is that a custom colour? Only ever seen metallic Tango and Blue on that Focus.

no its just Metallic Black. I think it comes in Electric Orange, Blue, Black, Silver, White, Red & Grey

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    '98 Jeep Cherokee (forest green)

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    '98 Jeep Cherokee (forest green)

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

but I'm looking at doing THIS in the next 3-4 years or so.

^^^HELLS YEAH. That's a good look C*sm*! HYBRID[/b] cars are hopefully in all of our futures.

And as for question that you asked me, Bozak, I'm drawn to luxury sedans but my wife is steadfast in her line of thinking that we do not purchase a German car (WW2/Nazi related reasons.) I'm just saying, I love those cars and the engineering and design but I just don't see me ever owning one.

But I like my Toyota Corolla S and it's been great to me. Mine actuallly has a little body damage that I have to get fixed up, but other than that it's been unbelieveably dependable and get's great mileage. The Lexus is the next step up from that so that's really where I want to go. Plus, have you ever had a ride in one of those machines? So fresh...

Lexus hybrids get ok gas mileage, but not great. They're not gonna come close to a Corolla. Not even in the ballpark. When I was looking for a used car, I was looking at Lexuses and shied away because their gas mileage sucked ass. You've obviously researched all this anyway, so I'll zip it C*sm*.

At the risk of being uber cloned, I drive this:

Gets great gas mileage, was a nice price, and I can throw tons of raers in the back.

• I drive a white '99 passat. Rebuilt engine, transmission, and suspension on that bitch, it pretty much drives like the day I bought it 6 years ago. Still only have about 60k on it. I put GPS in there and I still rock a tape adapter on my ipod! I love the way it handles, although it is noisy as hell.

Next car I buy will be a hybrid.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    J*** I just really want a luxury car, honestly. And I know that the Lexus doesn't come close to some of the other hybrid cars, but it's a step in the right direction and I would be willing to pay a little more for something that is both luxury (for me) and hybrid (for everyone else.)

But I feel you on the Scion. Everyone clowned them when they came out but they're fucking great cars, really great for city living too.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Volks seem to have heavy trans issues. I have heard that from tons of people. I got a five-year, 70,000-mile warranty and I am going to definitely address that before it expires. Sometimes, right after I start it up, at a stop I push the gas, nothing happens then... BAM, it kicks into gear. I only got 40,000 on my Jetta, hopefully will at least double that before I think about getting a new car.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

i was in the understanding that folks got some sort of tax break when they purchase hybrids? maybe this is only in california. also they let them drive in car pool lanes w/ only one person in them too.

I'm pretty sure there is a tax break here in Cali...and the carpool lane one is definite. There may be some other little perks/incentives as well. But kitchenknight is right in that the economics aren't quite there in the short term (i.e. it would take several years to save enough on gas to make up for the added ticker price of a hybrid). Still, I'm gonna be checking hybrids whenever I get into the market for a new car. Of course, that's likely several years away.

• 96 honda civic 4 door lx silver bought for 1000.00 from my friend who moved to cali at the last minute
    problems:
    -replaced odometer-says 66k but is really somewhere around 110k
    -trunk leak around the right rear brake light, usually is not a problem but its been raining the past two weeks.
    -the drivers side window motor is goin out slowly but surely, usually it works fine except in cold conditions and when im driving at a high rate of speed

• Right now, the economics of a hybrid doesn't QUITE work out (save enough in gas to make up the added cost) but it is important they keep selling so they will be made/the technology continues to develop...

I'm pretty sure there is a tax break here in Cali...and the carpool lane one is definite. There may be some other little perks/incentives as well. But kitchenknight is right in that the economics aren't quite there in the short term (i.e. it would take several years to save enough on gas to make up for the added ticker price of a hybrid). Still, I'm gonna be checking hybrids whenever I get into the market for a new car. Of course, that's likely several years away.

The math worked out like this for us (list prices below w/o extras):

Honda Civic Hybrid: $22,500- 47 MPG Highway - Est. Annual Fuel Cost: $750
    Honda Fit: $16,500- 37 MPG Highway - Est. Annual Fuel Cost: $1250

With the approx. $6,000 savings we were looking at, it would take 12 years to make up the difference in fuel costs. This was without exploring tax breaks, so bear that in mind, but those are certain to vary state/state.

As I said, there are MANY more reasons to buy a hybrid than the economics. But, in terms of the numbers, that's how it broke down for us in Massachusetts.