What the Who? (MMR)... aka Introduce Yo Self

Comments

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    mango=AP?!?

The wool had been pulled

cot diggy

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Here we go:

name: P*****k
    Loc: Milwaukee
    records since: 1974... serious since 1985 (~9,000).
    Currently listening to: Two beats that I made earlier tonight; "Right On!"-Phil Moore, Jr.; "S/T"-Jackson Heights; "For You"-Prince (on some ole throwback, ya heard!).
    Currently Drinking: Young's Chocolate Stout; Martell.
    New Found Interests: Walking 2-3 miles a day.
    Marital Status: Married 6 years
    Strutters I've met or spoken with: Asprin, Aaron Money, Lotusland, Two-Ply, and(Digital) Delay.
    Strutters I'd like to meet/speak to: All of you are interesting in some way.
    Doing Soul Strut: since 2003

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    OOps almost forgot

yes... MangoMan -related

who are all these new names posting these days??... I'm not one to talk, I guess - I'm pretty new myself... and I raerly post.

Is it time for a "Introduce Yo self" thread???...

I'm looking at you: HowMuch, Blast Kid, zizag, moonhead, Mangoman... (I still don't know who you are).

I'll start it off:

Real-World name: Anthony Pearson the 5th
    Loc: Venice Beach
    In the game Years
    Collection: No collection just Sales

(edit):
    Occupation: Teacher, Photgrapher, Father to be, and record dealer
    Currently listening to: Honey Tree, and Loading Zone at the same time....

Now my secret is out!

WHOLLEY :MINDMELTBLOODSHITFUCK:... are you seriously AP?... damn i had no idea.

I'm shocked, and at the same time empowered with the knowledge...

I actually had to dig up my old password just for the occasion.

Maybe NOT, But AP is fo sho a cool dude in my book! He needs to come back with the crazy rap battle again....

stop f*cking around L*k*n

good nite you fanies

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Ok...if I must...

Name: asprin - fidel astro - embark - tsega - mint bush

born: 1978 (Addis Abeba, Ethiopia)

came to the US: May, 1991

First record bought: Artifacts "Wrong Side of the Tracks" 12

Last Record bought: Sharon Jones & The dap Kings "Naturally" LP

Collection: ~ 1500

Djing since: 1995

Making beats since: 1998

Last listened to: Look Over Your Shoulder, Motherfucker! (I am coming!) mix by Bambouche ... never gets old

Recently completed: Passion For Dance logo, Night Owl Record Show logo

Current weight: 160

peace and I'm out

• silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
    Silvertone aka. Big Six / Six Vicious / Sixtoo / handful of stupid graffiti makes. Birthname : Broke Ass Rob.

Former/Current : Sebutone, Vinyl Money, 1200 Hobo, Homewrecker, Thief, Achoholic, Fugitive.

Location ; Montreal, Canada. Age: 31. Years making records? many.

Part Time Hustles : Instrumental Hiphop Hustle, LP mastering, wannabe filmmaker and makeshift anything visual, neighborhood artstar, coffee and weed constructive critic.

Like: rare records with tough ass drums, tattoos, tube microphones, vintage instruments, rusto silvers, american freight trains and literature, film (french new wave, japanese gangster flicks, 80's coke movies esp. Jim Jarmush) Design Books and original Bauhaus furniture (no home).

Dislike : exploitive throwback culture aligned with bougie fasion bullshit (eg. new dogtown flick, electroclash, most modern rock groups that have a synth).

Records : couple hundred, but I'm back in records mode, so its growing once again.

Sold The Collection: couple of times.

Current Listen: Exclusively Sun Ra - Sleeping Beauty and Lanquidity.

--

I know a few doods on here personally, am easy to trade with and like good music on any format, but prefer wax. Greeto.

--

www.bullyrecords.com -- I do artwork and mastering for these guys.

www.monoheat.com -- you need a record mastered and have heat to trade.

www.sixtoo.net -- in need of an overhaul.

www.ninjatune.net -- these guys put out some of my stuff.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    It's interesting to see that a lot of you guys are a good 5 or so years older than I thought you were.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    It's interesting to see that a lot of you guys are a good 5 or so years older than I thought you were.

The WWW has a way of making everyone sound like a teen It's like being stuck in adolescent quicksand. Now I think I'll put on "If I Were Only A Child Again" by Curtis Mayfield (happy b-day).

• strikerstriker 146 Posts

Real-World name: barrie[/b]
    Loc: Manchester UK[/b]
    In the game (diggin): 10[/b]
    Collection: 1700aprox[/b]

(edit):
    Currently listening to: Sylford Walker, That new Danny Breaks thing, 70s UK reggae stuff any Folkways LPs i can get & Columbia/Priceton Electronic Music LP[/b]
    Hobbies... DJing & Photography (there's two things people think are easy to do well), reading, moving house, lurking (it's nice round here & I contribute when i can, but most of the time i haven't a clue what you're all on about, may post more when I get the hang of struttspeak),

Favourite record of the minute.... Ernestine Anderson "Keep An Eye On Love"

• mimmim 44 Posts
    hi

name: marko

loc: zagreb, croatia

record disease: 5 yrs seriously, but collecting records from childhood

collection: 2000

jobs: schooled to be cinematographer but mostly photography and video

into: jazz, funk, old school rap, bollywood, bhangra, psych, early electronica...

getting into: disco, post punk, no wave

moustache: yes

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Real World Name Tryggvi.

I hail from Iceland and Denmark summers.

21 years old. Will be 22 in Decembre.

Buying vinyl for 8+ years now. Have yet to become "serious". Don't think I ever will really.

Collection is between 1000-1500.

I was a garbage dude but am now inbetween jobs. Had to stop due to my left ankle. Damn you. I make some beats from time to time and I drink.

Currently listening to Helmut Zacharias Orchestra - Ferry Boat Serenade, which is a lovely little easy listening/moody jam. Perfect for hazy summer mornings. Next up is Os Mutantes - O Rel??gio.

I dig just about any good music. It just has to be good.

I like smart and beautiful women. I also like straight-forward funny dudes.

I don't have a favourite book yet. I do have a favourite "band" though, and their name is Autechre. They are fucking good musicians.

There is a dude outside watering grass. He has been watering the same spot for about 30 minutes now. Hero.

Overall I think soulstrut is a slam. dunk. place.

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts

records: bought the first one in 2002 I believe, I think I have around 500 pieces, I'm pretty new to this 'game'

music: started listening to hiphop in '98 (Wu-tang, 36 chambers was the first hiphop-cd I heard), and nowadays I'm looking for some good hiphop (I prefer post 96 hiphop, but I like some new stuff too), funk, soul, jazz, grooves and stuff.

that's about it

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts

stop f*cking around L*k*n

good nite you fanies

Real-World name: Unknown
    Vandal Name: Clip 1 FVK, KP, FYV
    Loc: San Diego
    In the game (diggin): 80's Soul, Hip Hop, Freestyle Dance since 1986 on and off til now, for rare grooves breaks etc... Around 93, 94-95???
    Rocked Freights & walls around 91-98 under the tutalige of SCRAM 1
    Collection: Sold a bunch and got a few crates left... & Still have a bag of paint left...

(edit):
    Currently listening to: The neibors dog chain and MARK MYLATENCY yelling at me!

And Remember Diggin for records is like Finding a dope spot to eat and finding dope cheap kicks! Now that's the real deal!

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Real-World name: Ross V***or (it's Cajun, not Italian)

Aliases: Ross Hogg, Duppy Ranks

Loc: San Francisco, CA via Port Arthur/Austin, TX

In the game: Started buying records in 1st grade, didn't start DJing 'til 1998

Collection: Hmmm...probably about 2500 now. I purge at least about a year now.

Currently Listening to: Complete silence. It's underrated.

Occupation [Meet The Parents answer]: Copywriter for an online direct marketing/lead generation firm.

Occupation [Please Think I'm Cool answer]: DJ/"music journalist" (isn't there a less pretentious-sounding term?) for XLR8R and SF Weekly.

More at www.italselection.com

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Silvertone aka. Big Six / Six Vicious / Sixtoo / handful of stupid graffiti makes. Birthname : Broke Ass Rob.

Shit, you're the "chewing on glass" Sixtoo we were talking about in the "time signature" thread? You shoulda spoke on some odd time signature programming business...

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Real-World name: Roberto
    Loc: Manhattan
    In the game (diggin): 4yrs, not serious
    Collection: 700 LPs

(edit):
    Currently listening to: The Clash "Radio Clash" and Sat morning cartoons

Funniest thing I overheard yesterday: "I gotta piss so bad I'ma throw-up!"

• Real-World name: Phil[/b]
    Loc: San Diego[/b]
    In the game (diggin): been buying records almost all my life, hip hop seriously, probably late 80's, early 90's. Soul/Jazz/Rock, probably mid 90's[/b]
    Collection: Too effin many, yo Mangoman, hurry up and paint those shelves![/b]
    Currently Listening to: Silence, word up Hogg![/b]

• silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts

Shit, you're the "chewing on glass" Sixtoo we were talking about in the "time signature" thread? You shoulda spoke on some odd time signature programming business...

I think I signed up after that threat was started... (plus it's just kind of a dick move to use someone elses thread about you to just jump in an be like "eh yo!"). Anyways, yes.. same dood. PS: the new project you guys are working is cool...

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    yo Mangoman, hurry up and paint those shelves![/b]

Should be done today... Drop your wax off in the morning and then we roll to Pasedena Record fair....

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    name: Andrew
    Loc: Soulsville,TN
    records since: '96
    Buyin',Diggin': R&B, Gospel, Soul, Funk, Garage, Rock, Folk, Psych
    Currently listening: Joann Zachery, Lula Collins

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    [color:orange]Summer Version[/color]

Real-World name:[/b] Aaron B_____

Loc:[/b] Duluth, MN

In the game (diggin):[/b] Started immediately after hearing Quasimoto's The Unseen.

Collection:[/b] Quarter of a small Expedit.

Currently listening to:[/b] Logg - I Know You Will (don't front)

Currently working on:[/b] Two mixes, Bach's fourth cello suite, and a classroom management plan.

Wish for the summer:[/b] To get a tan while playing tennis everyday (the clouds -- they will not cooperate).

Favorite record from my last purchase:[/b] Symbolic Three featuring D.J. Dr. Shock - No Show b/w We're Treacherous (what's the deal on this one, btw?)

BIG summer project:[/b] hip-hop12s.com [color:red]IF YOU FEEL LIKE SHARING, START SENDING ME THESE VIA PM[/color]

Beach Blanket Bingo is set to (aka What My Summer Jam Is):[/b] Fonda Rae - Over like a Fat Rat

I haven't forgotten:[/b] Your 8-track, Jon.

• dj_netadj_neta 166 Posts
    government name: currently Felicia Angeja, in two months Felicia V*****[/b]

loc: currently san francisco (hey! hey!), before that oakland (wah. wah-wah. wah). [/b]

dj since: 1997[/b]

collection: 2500 approx.... mostly r&b, hip-hop, reggae. all in crates, none on the wall.[/b]

occupation: currently domesticated. 10 months per year a grad student/teacher of history[/b]

currently listening to: labor day reggae marathon courtesy of WKCR radio in Long Island (minidisc recording courtesy of sweendog)[/b]

currently thinking about: cookies.[/b]

new found interests: jeans that are way too got dayum expensive.[/b]

resurrected interests: E40 "hope i don't go back" and Mac Mall "wide open"[/b]

soul struting since: tuesday[/b]

vicariously soul struting thru hogginthefogg since: 2003?[/b]

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    name: ed
    collecting: four or five years i guess
    soulstrut visitor since: 2002
    listening to: can - ege bamyasi lp
    current book im reading: white teeth

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    yo Mangoman, hurry up and paint those shelves![/b]

Should be done today... Drop your wax off in the morning and then we roll to Pasedena Record fair....

should I rock the jean jacket with the RUN DMC pins?

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

new found interests: jeans that are way to got dayum expensive.[/b]

Nettles, there's still time to hop the plane with Rossoggers, as I know someone who is currently interested in expensive jeans. Matter of fact, she's shopping right now!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Collecting Since: mabye 1996? something like that....
    Collection size: not very big. I only brought 3 crates with me when I moved to L.a.

Currently listening to: silence..but about to pop in some old coast to coast audio mp3's and go back to bed.

word.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Collecting Since: mabye 1996? something like that....
    Collection size: not very big. I only brought 3 crates with me when I moved to L.a.

Currently listening to: silence..but about to pop in some old coast to coast audio mp3's and go back to bed.

word.

GANGSTA!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

This rules.

• Gubment name:[/b] Adrian Milan

Aliases:[/b]iron monkey(duh), Who? Oh that dude? I HATE that motherfucker!, the Susan Lucci of this record collectin game.

Collectin since:[/b] 1978

Collection size:[/b] I forget. My shit's been in storage since 03. Got a couple hundred on hand here in Cali.

studying:[/b] Film Editing

Pre-Occupation(s):[/b] Music, Women, Film, Futbol, Sensi

Currently in the Mind Garden:[/b] Putting together ideas for a full length album of sound collage and improv recordings from my former prog band.

Drink:[/b] Jack & Coke, Maker's on the Rocks, Water, Iced Tea, Tsingtao Beer

Last Film(s) watched:[/b] Donnie Darko the Director's Cut, French Connection, Reservoir Dogs

Last Recordings spun:[/b] Skip James - Complete 1930 recordings, Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights, Black Flag - Damaged, Mixtape I made a while ago and found under my car seat. Damn I'm a good selecta....

Turn Ons:[/b] Smart chicks with good taste, Brunettes, my ATM card, my 1977 Gold 280 ZX, Bong Hits w/ice water, eBay

Turn Offs:[/b] Traffic, Bitches, Fruitless diggin trips, life in the suburbs

What it's all about:[/b]

Before I was born, who was I?

After I am born, who am I?

Respect yourself, and everone will respect you.

Understand yourself, and everyone will understand you.

There are mirrors all around you:

Strive to see and understand yourself.

Strive to have the heart of a Buddha.

Stop doing bad things, only do good.

Do whatever you can to help others.

In these ways you help yourself.

Help yourself, and you help the world.

• dj_netadj_neta 166 Posts

new found interests: jeans that are way too got dayum expensive.[/b]

Nettles, there's still time to hop the plane with Rossoggers, as I know someone who is currently interested in expensive jeans. Matter of fact, she's shopping right now!

blimey!! wish i could fit into Hogg's suitcases, but i can barely fit into those cursed Sevens.

hope someone finds a dreamy pair.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    vicariously soul struting thru hogginthefogg since: 2003?[/b]

AY YO!