Weather Strut

HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Hi,Its so warm where I live right now that I'm really starting to think that the world is coming to an end. It should be -20 celcius & instead its about 8 degrees. It's gonna be 10 + on the weekend with no end in sight. How is the weather where you live?peaceh

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    im in new englqand and thinkin the same shit. way too warm for january!

• It's 58 in LA. Too cold. The world is coming to an end.

• I can't get over this weather myself. It's suppose to be 72 tommorow. I plan on taking full advantage and having a bbq.

• Very strange. It feels like it won't snow at all this year. Shit feels like spring. I'm bout to go out and enjoy the (January) evening.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    http://www.tampabays10.com/news/national/article.aspx?storyid=46704
    we're all gonna die! just kidding!...but no snow in ny during december for the first time in 130 years is scary to me.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    shit, minneapolis has only had 3 inches of snow and that was new years eve! i am running around in a t-shirt and light jacket when i should have my wool p-coat, sweater, scarf and hat and gloves and still complaining about being cold. the world is, in fact, coming to an end. a warm and disturbing end.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    39??F in the fucking Las Vegas Desert.

= spidey

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    67 and rising in NYC!!!!!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Hovering at 69 today with 0 precipitation.

Damn right, I'm staying the fuck out the crib today...

• RonanRonan 86 Posts
    I'm in Dublin Ireland don't think we even got to freezin point all winter. It's worrying but the heating bill is pretty sweet. But seriously, we shouldn't be able to notice climate change, this is happenin way too quick, every year is noticeably warmer

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    well we better get our kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames!

• Denver always has strange weather, but it's been extra strange lately. First we had 3 feet of snow 4 days before xmas, then it warmed up to about 50-60 a few days later, then it snowed another 6 inches the day after xmas i think, then it got warm again, then it snowed again night before last, another 4 inches or so, and then today it's warm again.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Its too flingin flamin mild here in the UK for this time of year folls.

We've only had about 1 week of frost and thats it.. and that was like a month ago.

• East Bay has been dipping into the 30's at night and 50-60's during the day so I think that's about normal for here. It's just crazy to realize that NY (where I grew up) is actually warmer than Berkeley this winter.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Global Warming and Warm Weather: Connected?[/b]
    Scientists Say Current Patterns Fit Into Overall Predictions
    By BILL BLAKEMORE

Jan. 6, 2007 ??? - It was expected to reach into the 70s today in New York City. Cherry blossoms were blooming in Washington, D.C.

Is there a connection between the January heat wave that is sweeping the East Coast and man-made global warming?

Scientists say yes -- in this way: What they know for sure is the warm winter fits the pattern, exactly, that has long been predicted for manmade global warming of more and more frequent unseasonable warm spells.

While there were freak weather events like this in the past, even before the Industrial Age started pumping out more greenhouse gases, they were rare.

But in recent decades they have increased.

There has been "a fairly rapid rise of globally average temperatures, also temperatures in the United States, since about the mid-1970s," said David Easterling of the National Climate Data Center.

The records from the National Climate Data Center show that over the last 55 years, especially the last 20, the number of unusually warm days and warm nights has steadily increased.

The supercomputers that predicted all this decades ago have grown even more powerful. What do they project for the years immediately ahead, if greenhouse gas emissions are not drastically cut worldwide?

"Over the next two or three decades, we will see a trend of just more frequent warm spells and less frequent cold snaps," said Jerry Meehl, a climatologist.

But these changes are not limited to just warm weather. Colorado's third big snowfall in a month also fits a pattern long predicted for global warming.

The warmer the air, the more moisture it can hold, which leads to heavier precipitation of rain or snow.

Scientists say there are always immediate causes contributing to warm spells, such as the current warm El Nino patch that's appeared again in the Pacific.

But El Nino, like everything in earth's climate, is influenced one way or another by manmade global warming.

Climate scientists in the United Kingdom calculate that the current El Nino, combined with the additional warming effect of the increasing manmade greenhouse gases mean a better-than-even chance that 2007 will be the hottest year on earth since records have been kept.

Already, the 10 hottest years on record have been in the past 11 years.[/b]

Copyright ?? 2007 ABC News Internet Ventures

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/print?id=2775291

fuck.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I wonder if the last time it was 67 degrees in Boston
    in January they thought the world was coming to an end,
    too? It was 1933...73 years ago, and the world kept going...

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I wonder if the last time it was 67 degrees in Boston
    in January they thought the world was coming to an end,
    too? It was 1933...73 years ago, and the world kept going...

I also wonder if back then they had all the data we do now or if it was during a decade of the hottest temperatures on record?

All I'm saying is, something is not right when people all over the globe are going "wtf?" with the weather.

I'm not denying the trend, or the concern
    that goes with it, but I can't help but see
    the irony in a high temperature being called a sign
    of "global warming" because it hasn't been this hot
    in 100 years...so what was it 100 years ago?
    Global warming?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I'm not denying the trend, or the concern
    that goes with it, but I can't help but see
    the irony in a high temperature being called a sign
    of "global warming" because it hasn't been this hot
    in 100 years...so what was it 100 years ago?
    Global warming?

Yeah, I agree, weather phenomenon like this has gone on forever, but to me, the concern comes when factoring in everything else that's been happening in regards to climate change. I've seen snow in Palm Springs when I was a kid so weird things do happen, but the U.S., Canada, UK, Ireland (and these are just places that I know of) are all experiencing higher temperatures than normal.
    I'm not saying the end is near or any crazy shit like that, but something doesn't seem right.

On a less serious tip, I am such a sports nerd - it's 70
    degrees in January, and after I got out of work this morning
    (quick 3 hour shift), I couldn't wait to run home and watch the
    1:00 Bruins/Flyers game and stay in for the Colts/Chiefs...

No skin cancer worries here

At least I have the windows open

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Santa Fe's got a ton of snow this year, the most in over 30 years. Over three feet of snow had me homebound for a couple of days...

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i was let down to find out it was 42 out today. most years, 42 today would be nice and warm

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    It was in the 50s today in the show me state. I went for a bike ride. It was great. I hope the icecaps don't melt and the oceans don't rise. Even though I live nowhere near the oceans, I've got loved ones that do.

Enjoy what's around you while you're around.

JRoot

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    shit is crazy. january 6 in NYC and people in shorts and t-shirts. but it's even crazier to me that people have to get all the way to this point before they start to say "hmmm, maybe there really is something to this global warming thing...". i'm not at all sure how things are going to go from here, but i think research tends to indicate that as ice caps melt, the salinity of the oceans is going to change, directly affecting ocean currents, which will subsequently affect the climates on most major land masses. i beleive the overall result is supposed to be a rapid cooling down of the earth after a period of global warming, throwing us into another ice age where drought becomes a global problem. there's certainly too many variables to calculate exactly how things are going to go down, but i think that fresh water is pretty much at the heart of any informed argument concerning where we're headed. it's even crazier to think that this will probably go down in our lifetime.
    no i haven't seen that al gore movie and i'm not on some apocalyptic shit, but things are going to be different. i just wish people could see a little farther than the next day, and not wait until their pants are burning to admit that there's a fire. but i think that's our fate.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    10 Celcius in Amsterdam today.
    Way too warm for january. We should be iceskating the canals.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    around 10 celsius in Berlin this weekend. pretty weird, it feels like spring.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Mad droughts in most of Australia, along with hurricanes in other parts. We've also had severe bushfires that were aided by silly heat and dry winds. Although it snowed on Christmas day in some places.

Yeah, we've noticed that things are pretty crazy.

• Options
    My neighbor across the street was out on his porch shirtless smoking a cigarette yesterday, and I was surprised by how fat and hairy he was. He usually wears baggy clothes and I guess hides it well.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    even though it was so warm here in NY i kepy my hoodie on

i thought it was the safe thing to do haha

• Options
    even though it was so warm here in NY i kepy my hoodie on

i thought it was the safe thing to do haha

You're smart. A lot of folks about to get smacked down with colds when it drops to the 40's on wednesday.