LA Struters in the house?

joeblowjoeblow 118 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
i'm considering a move from SD to LA this coming year and was wondering if y'all could give me some insite. "traffic is bad" & "things are expensive" - yes i have heard that already. i'm actually wondering more about the neighborhoods. Echo Park, Silver Lake, Eagle Rock areas specifically (since i have heard good things). i've been through them a few times, but i'm not too up on what their relation is to the city and how difficult it is to get around from there. i just don't know LA well.i'm sure this has been discussed before - sorry in advance if it's a dead topic! -JBLOW

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Joe,

It depends on what you're looking for in terms of geographic access as well as neighborhood sabor.

For example, are you working/going to school? If so, where?

i'm considering a move from SD to LA this coming year and was wondering if y'all could give me some insite. "traffic is bad" & "things are expensive" - yes i have heard that already. i'm actually wondering more about the neighborhoods. Echo Park, Silver Lake, Eagle Rock areas specifically (since i have heard good things). i've been through them a few times, but i'm not too up on what their relation is to the city and how difficult it is to get around from there. i just don't know LA well.

i'm sure this has been discussed before - sorry in advance if it's a dead topic!

-JBLOW

• out of the 3 mentioned, i like eagle rock the best. but it depends on what youre looking for.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    over the last 4 months I've learned that the westside sucks ass (sorry O-Dub, AP, and Belson). the area is pricey for no apparent reason (definitely doesn't have to do with the quality of living)

I am looking to relocate to Echo Park, Mt. Washington, Silverlake, or burbank as soon as possible. the area is cheaper and I hardly hear a bad thing about those spots from other folks. Of course I say this as a guy in his mid-20's who wants an interesting enviroment around him.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    if you dont mind being slightly out of the way, Glassell Parl and Mt. Washington are two of the nicest neighborhoods around, and are very cheap. Echo Park/Silverlake is nice too, a litle closer to hollywood etc, but not as secluded and nice.

over the last 4 months I've learned that the westside sucks ass (sorry O-Dub, AP, and Belson). the area is pricey for no apparent reason (definitely doesn't have to do with the quality of living)

I'm not offended. My family and I really love our apt (thanks AP!) but I feel you about the Westside in general. It's geographically convenient for me (work-wise) and for my wife (family/work-wise) but it's not nearly as diverse as we'd ideally like it to be and the general culture (entitlement-laden snots in MBs getting aggro in Trader Joe parking lots) is off-putting BUT it's also cooler than it is inland, a touch cleaner and being close to the beach isn't bad when you have a kid.

I do wish there was a half-decent Chinese restaurant out here but hey, I know, you gotta roll the SGV to do that up right.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

There's some nice stuff happening round the westside - plenty of nights to go to - but as soon as our lease is up, we'll probably move too. It's a handy location for folks working round Culver City - but the thought of having to dredge the 405 or 101 rush hour traffic if we move too far away, is for madmen only. So who knows where we'll end up in a few months.

A friend lives in Los Feliz, and we like it there.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I do wish there was a half-decent Chinese restaurant out here but hey, I know, you gotta roll the SGV to do that up right.

theres a spot I like on Pico right across the street from Record Surplus. it's got that Americanized chinese food thing going on but its low key and tasty as hell, name of the place is Lins. I've taken AP there (no romantico) and he seeme dot feel the same way.

BTW the Trader Joes parking lot situation opitomizes this side of town. Maybe I'm just salty though, I'm paying $2400 a month for a place with no toilet

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

We have found such a beast - along Santa Monica Blvd next to Coogies (junction of Yale, I think)

• well, odub, you did say half decent[/b].

i strongly suggest against any such blasphemy though. hell, i drive down to gardena when i want the real shit myself. no qualms AT ALL. and i aint fucken with indian food outside of pioneer blvd. which is like an 45 min away from me ON A GOOD DAY

• i'm sorry... the neighborhood i've mentioned are east LA, right?

O-DUB: i'm mostly going to be working at home and in an office in Cypress Park. i'd also like to get out and DJ and be near art/music type of events (ahem... and all your secret record spots - please to PM). me and my girl like to hit restaurants quite a bit too (vegi yo). from the midwest, dig the outside thing (not hippies). dunno if that helps to put y'all in my shoes at all...

can we talk some rent prices paid for living spots? houses? apts? 1-2BR? good places to take your ridiculous small dog?

thanks y'all!!

-JBLOW

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I'm paying $2400 a month

W-w-w-hut? I dunno what you thought of our place, but our rent runs half that.

• OH, can anyone recommend a neighborhood map so i can orient myself to where the haters are??

JBLOW

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    and i aint fucken with indian food outside of pioneer blvd. which is like an 45 min away from me ON A GOOD DAY

You have found a decent curry house? Can this be true?

• dude! why not just like in the neighborhood. cypress park, highland park, el sereno are all awesomely beautiful working class chicano neighborhoods. city terrace, elysian park, chavez ravine, chinatown, hell, even downtown.

everything outside of downtown loftliving is quite affordable. of course, there arent many white folks living out there, i dont know if thats an issue or not. as opposed to echo park, silverlake, and to an extent eagle rock.

well, odub, you did say half decent[/b].

i strongly suggest against any such blasphemy though. hell, i drive down to gardena when i want the real shit myself. no qualms AT ALL. and i aint fucken with indian food outside of pioneer blvd. which is like an 45 min away from me ON A GOOD DAY

I know I can get good Chinese food further down in the SOuth Bay but wifey and I are not trying to hop on 405 S from the 10 to get to Gardena during dinner time.

• he seeme dot feel

ayo

• belson, you and the lady need to go here. outside of east london, jackson heights, queens, and prolly somewheres in canada, this is thee spot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artesia,_California#Little_India

• well, odub, you did say half decent[/b].

I know I can get good Chinese food further down in the SOuth Bay but wifey and I are not trying to hop on 405 S from the 10 to get to Gardena during dinner time.

oh, i was talking about mines and wifeys peoples real schitt. i dont live that far from SGV. i get the good shit at will.

• I live on the west side as well - my rent's $2185 for a 3 bedroom in Santa Monica. It's a very nice neighborhood, although pretty sterile.

Burbank is wack. Silverlake is cool, but can be pretty expensive. Echo Park is pretty far east, but has character and isn't too bad $ wise, although some consider it grimey.

• i like burbank! well, west burbank closer to n. hollywood. some really good food out there too!

and for reference, silverlake borders echo park. SL is basically bleeding its gentrification into EP.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm paying $2400 a month

yeah we got a 3 bedroom slummy looking spot for $2400 a month, the working toilets are all at the coffee bean across the street. I placed my spot on craigslist earlier this week and began the hunt for a spot around Echo Park or Burbank.

one nice thing about the westside is theres lots of persian food

back on the negative, not enough markets

• I'm paying $2400 a month

yeah we got a 3 bedroom slummy looking spot for $2400 a month, the working toilets are all at the coffee bean across the street. I placed my spot on craigslist earlier this week and began the hunt for a spot around Echo Park or Burbank.

GOD DAMN! Sorry to hear that man. I guess I have a steal.

I'm paying $2400 a month

Plus side: a lot of farmer's markets.

Btw, I'm not riding for the Westside but I'm here on a 2 year lease and as noted, we like our place well enough and that's reason enough to make the best out of it.

My sister lives in South Pasadena which I think is a super cute neighborhood but that also means trying to fugg with 110 traffic in the morning and evening and that's no fun either.

• one nice thing about the westside is theres lots of persian food

this is the true. it tends to be a lil expensive though cuz theres belly dancers and you can sit on the ground and other such epcot gimmicks. plus its on the westside which is like an immediate $20 tarrif. east hollywood works for me in a pinch.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I've lived in West LA all my life, and I'd say it's one of the more convenient places to live. For club nights, yea you gotta drive out to Silverlake or Santa Monica or what not, but other than that, it's clean and safe.

• I live in the north side Faifax district (technically W. Hollywood). I wouldn't recommend it to most people but I love it. Our street is off the main drag so it's quiet, and everything is close so it feels centralized. It's not the hood in the least, but it's not like the other side of Beverly Hills either. I can't stand it over there. My area is like urban/suburban with a lot of Russians and Jews, and Russian Jews. We have lots of gay men in this city so my girl is safer from the hollers, although I'm at risk. We have the most marijuana dispensaries in the county if you nedd medical help. and if you're into the glitz, you can walk to the Sunset Strip, fuck parking.

It could be more diverse but it's not white/brown/black washed. Anyway, don't move here. Traffic is surreal, too many celebs and people who wish they were celebs, and too much Melrose. I did sit next to Larry David and fam in Koo Koo Roo the other night.

• I live in the north side Faifax district (technically W. Hollywood).

when me and my girl first moved here from NY - we lived there- right off Melrose. While it was very convenient - right in the middle of town, lots of shops,retaurants,bars,stores,etc. - it was mad corny and sort of the worst aspects of LA to me. But I do think it was a good place for us to start.

We've sinced moved to the ultra-trendy Silverlake section. And while I do find it cooler and really beautiful- there really isn't that much to do? There's couple nice dives in echo park and clubs/restaurants/galleries/etc. But it's kind of quiet - dont expect to find some sort of Williamburg or Mission (SF) scene over here.

It's pretty mellow.

PS: I know a few peeps that have moved to the eastside from SD and they hate it! Not enough outdoor/beach action.

Hope this helps.

• PS: I know a few peeps that have moved to the eastside from SD and they hate it! Not enough outdoor/beach action.

oh no, i'm not much of a beach culture person (midwest yo!). i just meant i dug the weather here.

so, silverlake, echo park, etc are all east side LA? i have yet to find any sort of maps with this business.

next question...

who here plays out in LA, and where? rep your gigs y'all cause i'll be swinging through on my upcoming expedition.

what else is loved/hated aboout LA?

• Guzzo is ghey for fine chinese dining with AP.
    Chang's on San Vicente
    coffee bean toilets are good for dropping kilos (only trader joes' beef.)
    whole foods is good 4 milf-watching. No parking suicide bombers.
    raers at record surplus, 10am door-beatdown
    I get my roast beef from izzy's (4am post-up by the l.a. xpress newspaper stand)
    ladies know me as 'rabies'
    rabbis come through on the weekends, and larry david blessed it.
    mac store across the street is good for
    Killer Lobsters are on sale for $26.99 at the seafood restaurant on main st.
    I take the bus to burbank everyday from santa monica
    smelly guy on the motorcycle with no teeth keeps following me around - but were cool now.
    Q's & Busbys is good for UCLA trim, I go there on thurzdaze for
    The pier is cool for vatos brew/boardwalk spliff/underground seaweed
    I got a one bedroom by the arcades for $1043. no toilet
    I hope this helps

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I'm from Vegas and I hate LA. But, when I did go to LA a lot, I used to spend time in the Echo Park area. Which actually wasn't that bad. Not too far from 7-11. The dub club at the echo. Destroy all magazine (rip), Music stores, cool shit on sunset. I'm not sure how it would be to actually live there, but it was nice place to visit. The smoggy morning was strangely beautiful. Traffic wasn't too hard to manage through there, and I can't even imagine fighting freeway traffic to get to work.

- spidey