LA Struters in the house?

Comments

• echo park was the obvious choice for me. when i first got into town i was on sunset and highland, couldn't stand it. hollywood is my second choice to echo park though, just not that close to highland. i like the LACC area.

my favorite aspects of echo park: close to chinatown (art events), close to koreatown (tofu house - shig will lose it about now!!), mild nightlife, one or two restaurants, a record store (albeit a very bad one), most of all it is very central.

• sup t**?! beverly soon tofu on olympic a block west of vermont. there are others but this is quite arguably one of the best.

joeblow. East LA is historically east of downtown. silverlake and echo park are east, but its not considered east los. except maybe to westsiders. i highly suggest el sereno or city terrace if living east is your thing. great neighborhoods and off the radar of most hipsters, for the time being. there is a fairly strong community vibe there, which i really dig. there are bars and such in the surrounding areas that are a lot more grown than your average hipster thing. i think the consensus here is that its cool to drive into places like melrose, e. hollywood, west LA, silverlake but you wouldnt really want to actually live there. it is centrally located being just east of downtown and prolly within a bike ride's distance of cypress park.

• sup t**?! beverly soon tofu on olympic a block west of vermont. there are others but this is quite arguably one of the best.

what's up dude? you know barcade has re-opened? legal style just a couple blocks north of beverly on western. not as fun as before, but it is still new to the streets. for some reason i had thought you moved? dunno why really.

ok now please do me a favore and DROP SOME KOREA TOWN RESTARAUNT WIZDOM RIGHT HERE!!
    i need some spots to hit this week, and no i'm not talking about PINK BERRY!!!

• really? is it still in someone's apt?

i have a mtg right now, but when i get back i'll give some info. anything in particular that youre thinking of? ie, bbq, tofu, porkbelly, noodles. let me know!

• i need some spots to hit this week, and no i'm not talking about PINK BERRY!!!

whats wrong with pinkberry? hahaha

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    echo park was the obvious choice for me. when i first got into town i was on sunset and highland, couldn't stand it. hollywood is my second choice to echo park though, just not that close to highland. i like the LACC area.

my favorite aspects of echo park: close to chinatown (art events), close to koreatown (tofu house - shig will lose it about now!!), mild nightlife, one or two restaurants, a record store (albeit a very bad one), most of all it is very central.

co sign on everything said here.

Folks in the compton area, what do you know about Bajaretas? I'm talking backwoods mexico style speak easy realness

• ok, here goes

for the bbq i like Shik Do Rak. its regular gas fired, but i still really like it. they do the rice square thing though, which is some sort of LA ktown indigenous food specialty. its interesting, i guess, but i usually ask for a bowl o rice cuz i oldskool like that. its on olympic and, uh i dont know.

for the wood charcoal, try soot bul jeep.

if youre feeling daring, hit up Dan Sung Sa on 6th. its basically a korean izakaya which is like korean tapas joint with lots of tasty small plates of bar food and hella redface asians falling over from the soju.

theres a noodle joint on western and i think 8th, in the western plaza. they do handmade noodles that are pretty awesome. i think its called ma dang sok or something like that.

honey pig on 8th and i think harvard does the pork belly thing, which is like korean bacon, but not all salty and shit.i recommend the plate of mushrooms cuz u can grill them and its good. the sign out front has a cartoon pig.

stay away from pinkberry and any "cafe" in ktown. unless u like a $5 cup of tasters choice and getting ignored by korean chicks.

for karaoke, which you should really experience, i highly recommend the legendary DING DONG DANG. they have thee illest songbook ever. olympic&vermont.

be forewarned, it has gotten noticeably more dangerous in ktown. i mean gang-wise. i heard rumors that there is some organizing going on to prevent gentrification through intimidation. i dont know if thats true or some honkey folklore, but there has been some craz shit happening. fyi! bon appetit!

ps

for actual addresses, check here

http://www.krestaurant.com

theres an english button.

• be forewarned, it has gotten noticeably more dangerous in ktown. i mean gang-wise. i heard rumors that there is some organizing going on to prevent gentrification through intimidation. i dont know if thats true or some honkey folklore, but there has been some craz shit happening. fyi! bon appetit!

wow,

thanks for the dropped knowledge.

i will check out all of the above.

i'm not worried about the k-town syndicate, but just in case i'll avoid looking any korean directly in the eyes for a couple of weeks.

time to jot down some addresses!

• not the koreans dude. there's no koreans actually living in koreatown.

• I'll be in L.A. Febuary 9th & 10th for some gigs. Anyone down for a pre-gig Karoake jump-off?

• I'll be in L.A. Febuary 9th & 10th for some gigs. Anyone down for a pre-gig Karoake jump-off?

OH HEYLLZ YEAH!!!!![/b]

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    What's up with Pinkberry? I've been told it was quite good

• What's up with Pinkberry? I've been told it was quite good

haven't had it yet. there's one on melrose and labrea by the M Cafe. Everyone's flipping out over it.

• trendy

within a week of it blowing up, every single boba joint in LA now sells yogurt. its not worth waiting in line for. gelato on robertson, however, was a trend i could get with.

• trendy

gelato on robertson, however, was a trend i could get with.

the veggie lasagna there is pretty good as well. i hate to point it out to you shig but if you are making trips to robertson, you are making trips to the westside. holler at me if you are going there. [email]m@^!@[/email] and i might meet up with you.

by the way the trendy gelato place in silverlake is super-overrated. the best part about that place is gonna be going back in a year and seeing fat hipsters. when i was there the dudes working there spent more time making shit for themselves (milkshakes, coffee&ice cream, not to mention the 100s of tester spoons they went through trying the shit out for themselves) than serving customers.

speaking of food joints in la. we just found a place near my pad called veggie soul. i'm sure it doesn't compete with the real thing (which is much closer to my place), although their beans and greens were real fresh, but i plan on providing them with bi-weekly support at the very least. i'm gonna see if they can make the sauce a little hotter next time. i think everything is vegan except for their cornbread.

and maybe next time we eat in korean town you can pick one of those tofu houses instead of the place where vegetarian means fish flakes on the salad and those fish cakes in the soup.

oh and there are a few good indian spots in la that don't require driving down to pioneer, though it is really worth the drive for the people watching anyways. that place i took you and b3* to has opened a place on the (you guessed it) west side. there are a few other places worth trying in la as well.

• AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! JEFFIE GRAF!!!!![/b]

westside? i have been venturing out since i got the car. but as you stated, the alternative is that spot on sunset. and gelato i'll make a trip into beverly hills for that gelato. but not them damn cupcakes, cupcake.

re: korean veggie. it aint gonna happen. except for that one cold noodle spot i took u too. we should do the islamic chinese spots though!

i went to rfd the other day, it was damn good, but not that damn good.

ps
    i got the flier done. now im looking for a spot...

• Pink Berry is super good. Fine green tea or plain yougurt with all the toppings. Only been there once and I didn't wait in line.

• this thread is bookmarked. thanks for all the responses. i'll be rocking a day trip tomorrow to start scopin the areas.

next questions - what are the local papers to check for?
    craigslist the spot to check for rentals?

PS long time Lab customer here, but i was bummed on the LA spot last i was through. sorry. that crazy deli accross the street was pretty nice though (i was a bit hung over though, and it was too packed).

• long beach(that's whats up)
    peace, stein. . .

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I live in hollywood. Around sunset and cherokee. Its kind of a weird area. Equally close to the glitzy clubs, but still some meth heads. Its getting nicer all the time around here though, so i think it might be a good place to set down. My rent is pretty cheap i think for what i got. 875 for a one bedroom. No roomates.

Im not sure i would neccesarily reccomend hollywood, but its home to me at this point and I do enjoy being right in the middle of studio city and melrose. Cause thats the two places i probably visit most.

Plus, i can walk to some bars, and thats fun. WOrd to the wise though, l.a. nightlife is pretty god aweful. I mean you get your patches of goodness, but those are usually parties, not just any night out on the town. Its more like you go out if something is going on, otherwise people stay in their places alot and generally keep to themselves.

The westside is a completely different animal. Very chill. It kinda bugs me out a bit, but if you are used to san diego, it wouldnt be too much of a huge switch.

I like los feliz. My aunt lives there, and i might move there next.

• rep your gigs

this is preliminary because the location isnt ideal for what i had in mind, but i been sitting on this for too long now...

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=771505&an=0&page=0#Post771505

• rep your gigs

this is preliminary because the location isnt ideal for what i had in mind, but i been sitting on this for too long now...

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=771505&an=0&page=0#Post771505

whatever bro... you & ghost are werid vatos, but i need you to pick me up in a few weeks for G*R*U*OS & latin raers... i'll send you a lina when i know more ese... alrato

that's me. i feel like i should really drive folks around now since i got carted around so many times. let me know dude.

nice teen angels!

• rep your gigs

Can you fly a hammie out? Or you ain't got a budget like that??

I'll dub you a copy of Impalaville 2.

Ah fuck it, I'll whisper a baritone-dipped dedication in your ear.

No love??

• In the bay they say "so fierce"

and I recognize that sounds gay as hell

• rep your gigs

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...ge=0#Post771505

Can you fly a hammie out? Or you ain't got a budget like that??

I'll dub you a copy of Impalaville 2.

Ah fuck it, I'll whisper a baritone-dipped dedication in your ear.

No love??

i would if i could dude. if you ever out here, and this thing dont go belly up, BRING OLDIES!!!!!
    THAT GOES FOR ANY OF YOU STRUTTERS I KINDA KNOW BUT NOT REALLY BUT HAVE LOVE FOR THE OLDIES!!!!!!!!

• long beach(that's whats up)
    peace, stein. . .

i'm listening... where's your sell?

Long Beach is nowhere near Echo park and all that is it?

JBLOW

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    hu's chinese on national and overland is the best near the west side

http://maoskitchen.com/ in venice is supposed to be good too, i'm waiting for an opportunity to go

pink berry is raw sour tasting yogurt that mostly girls flip for

let's talk the real business now though... where do you karaoke?

a lady friend rented out a private room at orchid in k-town last month. big booths, multiple mics, servers hooking up drinks, comfortable setting, but kinda skimpy on the song selection.
    backstage in culver city is a completely different feel - nothing fancy and no one pretty, but that's the best kind of place to let loose plus you get some real good characters in there

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    Pink Berry is super good. Fine green tea or plain yougurt with all the toppings. Only been there once and I didn't wait in line.

korean take over. haha. the lady that owns that joint is rollin in skrill. delicious shaved ice jawns for sure.

• JBLOW

LB is about 45mins south east & unlike echo park is still a fresh place to live, echo park has become over run w/ hipsters who now think its cool to live in the hood, well what used to be a hood, now the culture that once made echo parque echo park is pretty much gone, it's like spanish harlem gone...

people would like to believe that echo park is overrun with hipsters, and they do exist here, but pre hipster culture in this area is firmly intact. i still see the name echo park represented in about 189 various styles of tags on any 30 minute walk around the neighborhood. only rarely do you see hipster graffiti (oh god that is such a bad look names like TIGERBEAT and shit) but the ratio of hipster graf to gangster script & local taggers is about 1/100.

• parts of long beach are really good, but rents are similar to L.A. now. it's a chill place with a great quality of life compared to the madness of L.A. i grew up in LB, but live in k-town now. k-town is still kind of in-the-cut. rents are semi-affordable and it's frwy close, hollywood is near, downtown too and you've already seen the restaurant reviews.