o-dub on coke rap

123457»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

what a complex suite of tainted real world issues we have here
    art reflecting life
    the art sucking
    dudes making mad money off of the art sucking
    disconnected journalist dudes making 76,000 dolla a year salary writing about art and how it is sucking
    dudes inspired by jeezy and the game et al and make more "music" that sucks because they too will pimp and get mad loot and hoes that sang and bling
    dudes on machines in cyber space wasting time contesting how and why it is sucking
    anyone ever have a friend or a love one addicted to cocaine?
    ever been addicted to cocaine?
    ever been a victim of a crime because of cocaine?
    ever do cocaine?
    still doin' cocaine?
    what if they legalized cocaine?
    popo have no one to throw in the clink [2/3 of amerikkka's jail population is non violent drug offenders]
    we house more people than any other nation except China
    sad times we livin in
    jeezy,wackenhut ,law enforcement,shareholders at SONY and UNIVERSAL and odub[mass media] win.

Reads like a fake anthony pearson post... not sure whether that's better or worse than the real thing.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I hate what coke has done to some of my best friends.

• "Will they see it as a colorful fad, like polka dots and pastels from the late '80s?"

what a complex suite of tainted real world issues we have here
    art reflecting life
    the art sucking
    dudes making mad money off of the art sucking
    disconnected journalist dudes making 76,000 dolla a year salary writing about art and how it is sucking
    dudes inspired by jeezy and the game et al and make more "music" that sucks because they too will pimp and get mad loot and hoes that sang and bling
    dudes on machines in cyber space wasting time contesting how and why it is sucking
    anyone ever have a friend or a love one addicted to cocaine?
    ever been addicted to cocaine?
    ever been a victim of a crime because of cocaine?
    ever do cocaine?
    still doin' cocaine?
    what if they legalized cocaine?
    popo have no one to throw in the clink [2/3 of amerikkka's jail population is non violent drug offenders]
    we house more people than any other nation except China
    sad times we livin in
    jeezy,wackenhut ,law enforcement,shareholders at SONY and UNIVERSAL and odub[mass media] win.

Oh yeah. That's why I had you on ignore. I hope you get a shift key for Christmas! Have a nice day.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    CLIPSE
    Hell Hath No Fury
    (Star Trak)

"Momma I'm Sorry"
    "Wamp Wamp"

Hip-Hop is supposed to be uncompromising. Raw. Furious even. All anger and adrenaline and getting out all the feeling the real world has no room for. The brothers behind Clipse -- Malice and Pusha T -- understand this fact better than anyone in hip-hop right now. If you called their very long-awaited new album, Hell Hath No Fury, simply another coke rap record you'd be far missing the point. Unlike even 2006's other "classic" rap release, Ghostface's Fishscale, Hell is so razor sharp, so direct, so, as record snobs might say, minimal, that it's practically punk in its conception. It wastes no time with interludes, or tacked on guests, or hooks even -- verses go on way past the 16 bar mark, the content of which are so deep with metaphor, tricky with double meanings and awe-inspiring inside mythologizing that most of these cuts don't even need choruses. However, quite possibly most impressive of all, is that for an album that was shelved once and completely overhauled from the ground up, and then almost shelved again by Jive until XXL blessed it with its rare, famed XXL rating. For a record that's produced by the Neptunes, the arbiters of commercial rap radio excess, Hell is unbelievably free of all the cheesy, phoned-in, throw-away radio clutter that's been a cancer to hip-hop since soundscans became surrogates for quality.

Minimalist. Here's a word that gets overused in every genre across the board. Unless, we're talking about a Hisato Higuchi album, it rarely comes to mean anything anymore. However, "minimalist" fits Hell like a glove -- not only for its important political implications within the bloated hip-hop world, but within the album's very nature. Usually producers are called in to help focus an artist, challenge a performer to be the best that he or she can be. Hell completely inverts this formula; the Neptunes have never come up with a more brazen, experimental, and totally satisfying collection of tracks -- 11 conversations about one thing. Variations on a theme. And so minimal, the mechanisms are all exposed: spray cans for shakers on one track ("Mr. Me Too"), hanging piano sustains ("Ride Around Shining"), raucous steel drums and table-top-banging snares ("Wamp Wamp"), menacing synth lines ("Trill") and sure, accordions too, all in 4/4 time. All the usual Neptunes signifiers, all the sonic toys that Chad and Pharrell have been playing with for a while now, all finally perfected in glorious Technicolor focus. And, of course, one gets the succinct impression that the boys in Clipse helped push the Neptunes into such career-defining highs.

And then there are the rhymes. Few artists have as diabolically simple flows. Rarely do Malice or Pusha play with cadence, or time signature, or even dynamics. Clipse are almost bold in their simplicity, they taunt the listener with a rhyme-style that screams "I'm so dope I don't even need to switch s**t up." These guys just love being difficult with words, building a wall out of nouns and verbs, using language simultaneously as a threat and a defense mechanism, and again and again their narratives of coke dealing and the figurative and literal price of coke dealing, stream by in dense and unrelenting syllable tornados. They almost sound like Jadakiss gone drone after awhile -- in other words, the perfect canvas for the Neptunes to go bonkers with space and rhythm, and color -- two things haven't gone so well together since my Sunday evenings and HBO's The Wire. And that about sums it up -- a rap classic for the MySpace generation, the black Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, a nostalgia treat for cynics, the worthy successor to Illmatic. Yep. Check for the expanded edition in 2020. [HG]

+20 pages

CLIPSE
    Hell Hath No Fury
    (Star Trak)

"Momma I'm Sorry"
    "Wamp Wamp"

Hip-Hop is supposed to be uncompromising. Raw. Furious even. All anger and adrenaline and getting out all the feeling the real world has no room for. The brothers behind Clipse -- Malice and Pusha T -- understand this fact better than anyone in hip-hop right now. If you called their very long-awaited new album, Hell Hath No Fury, simply another coke rap record you'd be far missing the point. Unlike even 2006's other "classic" rap release, Ghostface's Fishscale, Hell is so razor sharp, so direct, so, as record snobs might say, minimal, that it's practically punk in its conception. It wastes no time with interludes, or tacked on guests, or hooks even -- verses go on way past the 16 bar mark, the content of which are so deep with metaphor, tricky with double meanings and awe-inspiring inside mythologizing that most of these cuts don't even need choruses. However, quite possibly most impressive of all, is that for an album that was shelved once and completely overhauled from the ground up, and then almost shelved again by Jive until XXL blessed it with its rare, famed XXL rating. For a record that's produced by the Neptunes, the arbiters of commercial rap radio excess, Hell is unbelievably free of all the cheesy, phoned-in, throw-away radio clutter that's been a cancer to hip-hop since soundscans became surrogates for quality.

Minimalist. Here's a word that gets overused in every genre across the board. Unless, we're talking about a Hisato Higuchi album, it rarely comes to mean anything anymore. However, "minimalist" fits Hell like a glove -- not only for its important political implications within the bloated hip-hop world, but within the album's very nature. Usually producers are called in to help focus an artist, challenge a performer to be the best that he or she can be. Hell completely inverts this formula; the Neptunes have never come up with a more brazen, experimental, and totally satisfying collection of tracks -- 11 conversations about one thing. Variations on a theme. And so minimal, the mechanisms are all exposed: spray cans for shakers on one track ("Mr. Me Too"), hanging piano sustains ("Ride Around Shining"), raucous steel drums and table-top-banging snares ("Wamp Wamp"), menacing synth lines ("Trill") and sure, accordions too, all in 4/4 time. All the usual Neptunes signifiers, all the sonic toys that Chad and Pharrell have been playing with for a while now, all finally perfected in glorious Technicolor focus. And, of course, one gets the succinct impression that the boys in Clipse helped push the Neptunes into such career-defining highs.

And then there are the rhymes. Few artists have as diabolically simple flows. Rarely do Malice or Pusha play with cadence, or time signature, or even dynamics. Clipse are almost bold in their simplicity, they taunt the listener with a rhyme-style that screams "I'm so dope I don't even need to switch s**t up." These guys just love being difficult with words, building a wall out of nouns and verbs, using language simultaneously as a threat and a defense mechanism, and again and again their narratives of coke dealing and the figurative and literal price of coke dealing, stream by in dense and unrelenting syllable tornados. They almost sound like Jadakiss gone drone after awhile -- in other words, the perfect canvas for the Neptunes to go bonkers with space and rhythm, and color -- two things haven't gone so well together since my Sunday evenings and HBO's The Wire. And that about sums it up -- a rap classic for the MySpace generation, the black Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, a nostalgia treat for cynics, the worthy successor to Illmatic. Yep. Check for the expanded edition in 2020. [HG]

+20 pages

That is some really bad writing.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    the black Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

I think Archaic may have ghostwritten this part:

Hell is unbelievably free of all the cheesy, phoned-in, throw-away radio clutter that's been a cancer to hip-hop since soundscans became surrogates for quality.

I think Archaic may have ghostwritten this part:

Hell is unbelievably free of all the cheesy, phoned-in, throw-away radio clutter that's been a cancer to hip-hop since soundscans became surrogates for quality.

Not quite, but I did say this in a joint review of Jay/Snoop/Clipse/P.Diddy I turned in last night...

From his perch in a Manhattan high-rise, P.Diddy gazes down at the asphalt and decides that he'd like to pave it with cheese.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

I need to buy a rap cd for my girl as a christmas gift - should I buy this new Clipse???

From his perch in a Manhattan high-rise, P.Diddy gazes down at the asphalt and decides that he'd like to pave it with cheese.

Are you sure you didn't recycle that line from a post about me?

From his perch in a Manhattan high-rise, faux_rillz gazes down at the asphalt and decides that he'd like to pave it with cheese, as he stubs out his cigar on a copy of Aceyalone's latest lyrical masterpiece and splashes a lerge amount of Unforgivable cologne across his chest.

I need to buy a rap cd for my girl as a christmas gift - should I buy this new Clipse???

That idea is almost punk in its conception.

Are you sure you didn't recycle that line from a post about me?

From his perch in a Manhattan high-rise, faux_rillz gazes down at the asphalt and decides that he'd like to pave it with cheese, as he stubs out his cigar on a copy of Aceyalone's latest lyrical masterpiece and splashes a lerge amount of Unforgivable cologne across his chest.

Exactly...livin' lerge.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    nice ghost bomp  RAJ
    oliver wang is still a disconnected academic twat/kunt and will be forever more.
    jay z “rapping “ about coke  and cooking up rock in da kitchen is one of many reasons why he should be mercked with extreme prejudice;
    THE END