o-dub on coke rap

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Here's an off-board response (not mine) to ODub's article...

I love articles like these, written by out-of-touch music critics who listen to a couple mixtapes and think they know about the hood. It's like they're sayin', "Yes, there's drugs being sold in the hood, but what REALLY pisses me off is when people from the hood point it out!! What gives these former drug dealers the right to point out reality, like they're all better than me? Fuck them."

It makes no sense. Art imitates life, not the other way around. If "coke rap" or "D-boy rap" is the new trend, then maybe there's a bigger trend goin' on in the streets that influence these rappers. Where I live at, Jeezy is everyone's favorite rapper. But, it's not because they wanna be like him............it's because they ARE like him. He raps about what they live through everyday. Crack is being sold. Crack is being used. Money is being made.

Another off-board comment, made in response to the quote above...

couldnt agree wit u more brah.... deez boys out here in louisiana in da ghetto all feel da old hotboyz cuz they ARE like dem nothing but killin and dope deals in the hood and that aint no doubt w/e deez rappaz talkin bout u can bet iz goin down in the street. and im 100% posotive that the original article was written by some old whiteboy

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

This feels "new" to me - the volume, the focus, the themes - etc. Not "new" as in "never done before" but at least different in some fashion.

The "Ice Cream Man" cd was probably when shit got bold .I remember listening to "Time to check my crackhouse" and feeling uncomfortable as fuck ..Of course rappers talked about selling crack before 96' but P's shit was 100% hood raw...That was 10 years ago...the kids rapping now are products of the No Limit era and they're basically pushing the envelope as far as they can ..typical rapper shit ..one by one trying to trump the man next to them until it reaches the point where its not " make crack like this ".. its a fucking diagram on how to cook crack in the liner notes....

But..."Crack Rap" played out about a year ago so none of this matters....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ok HarveyCanal, youve proved your point.

Can you see where there is a space in the pop landscape that crack rap wasnt as prevalent for the parttime hiphop critic to think Crack rap wasnt at the forefront?

• The "Ice Cream Man" cd was probably when shit got bold .I remember listening to "Time to check my crackhouse" and feeling uncomfortable as fuck .

you sound white!

DEAL!

couldnt agree wit u more brah.... deez boys out here in louisiana in da ghetto all feel da old hotboyz cuz they ARE like dem nothing but killin and dope deals in the hood and that aint no doubt w/e deez rappaz talkin bout u can bet iz goin down in the street. and im 100% posotive that the original article was written by some old whiteboy

The "Ice Cream Man" cd was probably when shit got bold .I remember listening to "Time to check my crackhouse" and feeling uncomfortable as fuck .

you sound white!

DEAL!

LOL !!

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Curtis invented crack rap.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I'm pretty sure it would be Ali actually.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

I'm pretty sure it would be Ali actually.

Without the music, you ain't got no music!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

OH MAN.

thats fucking awesome.

To Oliver: Being an old whiteboy isn't so bad. If you have questions about it, you can hit me up on the pm.

To Oliver: Being an old whiteboy isn't so bad. If you have questions about it, you can hit me up on the pm.

What's funny is that someone said the same thing after hearing my Jay-Z review on NPR. I find it interesting that the (inaccurate) assumption of race is used as shorthand for discrediting an opinion. Not that I don't understand the sentiment but as a non-Black/non-White writer, it's always interesting to see where people try to fit you, sight (or surname) unseen.

What's also funny is that the crux of my argument (the part folks glossed over) is actually not that different from points made by Greg Tate, Ta-Nehisi Coates or Bakari Kitwana, albeit probably far more articulately than me. But the critique of drug-related rap songs, it seems to me, far more of the chorus with African American critics these days than White.

• If only Kool Moe D's "Monster Crack" could have been more effective or if King Tee's dream of "If crack was a monster, I'd Kill It" had come true this would have never happened...and we could all be talking about rappers rapping about rap

reading all this just made me think about how pro-cocaine rap was in the early 80s with Rammellzzee rapping about his long finger nail just perfect for cocaine or the Bad Boys getting a pretty impressive response by asking who "every once in while take(s) a sniff of the blow". The shift is this sense if from users to dealers...no, I don't really have a point I just like talking about rap...

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Andy Capper trawls through the murky world of crack rap

This recent article form the Guardian has not been thrown in yet (hopefully).

Includes the CLASSIC statement:

White middle class people are the No 1 consumers of rap music, after all.

and it includes a vote for the album of the year as well

the album of the year by about 10 miles has just "dropped" and it's by the crack-obsessed Virginian group Clipse (aka Pharrell Williams' rap proteges). Forgive the corny metaphor, but Hell Hath No Fury is the rawest, uncut batch of "crack rap" since Raekwon's album and restores people's faith in Pharrell after four years of making cheesy R&B trash with people like Pussycat Dolls. Each song on the record actually sounds like crack: dangerous, hypnotic and really addictive. The cover has the two brothers, Pusha T and Malice, famous in Virginia for being crack dealers, posing by a stove.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

This is actually a widely-held, and obviously very lazy, assumption amongst some British journalists, of which Capper is one. The real classic for me is this one, just before the one above;

Yet crack use in the UK is on the increase. It's turned from a poor, black drug into having the "naughty naughty" status that powder cocaine had among white middle class people in the early 1990s, before everyone in the country did it every night.

And it was surely facts like this that inspired Pharrell and Clipse to make this record so "crack-heavy". No?

Why, of course, you're right. The content and subject matter of rap lyrics has always been informed by the recreational drug habits of white, middle-class Brits. What were we thinking?

This is the British equivalent of all the self-regarding hipster bullshit that's loathed by so many people on here, driven as it is by the earnest belief that their little scene is at the absolute centre of everything. For Billyburg, just substitute Shoreditch - the song remains the same. Seriously, anyone on here who calls out O-Dub for being "disconnected" needs to spend a little time amongst these idiots. Trust me, you'll regain your perspective in a hot second.

Andy Capper is the editor of the UK edition of Vice.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

This is actually a widely-held, and obviously very lazy, assumption amongst some British journalists, of which Capper is one. The real classic for me is this one, just before the one above;

Yet crack use in the UK is on the increase. It's turned from a poor, black drug into having the "naughty naughty" status that powder cocaine had among white middle class people in the early 1990s, before everyone in the country did it every night.

And it was surely facts like this that inspired Pharrell and Clipse to make this record so "crack-heavy". No?

Why, of course, you're right. The content and subject matter of rap lyrics has always been informed by the recreational drug habits of white, middle-class Brits. What were we thinking?

This is the British equivalent of all the self-regarding hipster bullshit that's loathed by so many people on here, driven as it is by the earnest belief that their little scene is at the absolute centre of everything. For Billyburg, just substitute Shoreditch - the song remains the same. Seriously, anyone on here who calls out O-Dub for being "disconnected" needs to spend a little time amongst these idiots. Trust me, you'll regain your perspective in a hot second.

Andy Capper is the editor of the UK edition of Vice.

Having had more than my happy share of experiences with journalists of this nature I will wholeheartedly Doc's statement above. The mixture of smugly patronising bullshit combined with pure carpetbagguery that they produce while waffling down their wagamamas is truly gag worthy.

• Andy Capper

Absolutely right, this slimey little weasel is a London media Cunt of the worst kind. Unfortunately however, his "nothing is important or means anything, lets do some more coke" irony-laden Nathan Barley brain would most likely take this statement as a compliment of some sort, rather than as an invitation to jump off a high bridge.

I'll go back to lurking now

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Another off-board comment, made in response to the quote above...

Pleeze encourage deez people to bring their throwback phonetic spellingz to the board, brah.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    famous in Virginia for being crack dealers

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    There's a good new Pitbull song called "Come See Me" with the chorus "I don't mess with that smack, I don't mess with that coke, i don't mess with that crack, not me no more, wanna holler at a Latin broad come see me, and if you trying to get that money buddy come see me."

He's talking about how he grew up on Scarface and wanted to be a drug dealer but he's a rapper, and all the crack raps sound the same to him. He also says "this is for the Cubans losing life over Fidel's mentality." I like this dude a lot, he has a pretty interesting perspective.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    There's a good new Pitbull song called "Come See Me" with the chorus "I don't mess with that smack, I don't mess with that coke, i don't mess with that crack, not me no more, wanna holler at a Latin broad come see me, and if you trying to get that money buddy come see me."

He's talking about how he grew up on Scarface and wanted to be a drug dealer but he's a rapper, and all the crack raps sound the same to him. He also says "this is for the Cubans losing life over Fidel's mentality." I like this dude a lot, he has a pretty interesting perspective.
    This is interesting.

...tho isn't the whole crack industry more an 'american mentality' than a fidel mentality?

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    He's a Cuban dude born and raised in Miami so he's real anti-Castro. I'm not sure that it ties in directly to the crack issue. He's one of those who is a Republican because of American foreign policy with Cuba but he also hates Bush.

• Here's a Slate article on the Venkatesh book mentioned in this thread.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i've read venkatesh's first book on the history of the robert taylor's, although its a little dry/academic its still an interesting story.

this slimey little weasel is a London media Cunt of the worst kind.

Not to stereotype but the British way of disrespecting manages to sound both more crass AND classier.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts

"Will they see it as a colorful fad, like polka dots and pastels from the late '80s?"

what a complex suite of tainted real world issues we have here
    art reflecting life
    the art sucking
    dudes making mad money off of the art sucking
    disconnected journalist dudes making 76,000 dolla a year salary writing about art and how it is sucking
    dudes inspired by jeezy and the game et al and make more "music" that sucks because they too will pimp and get mad loot and hoes that sang and bling
    dudes on machines in cyber space wasting time contesting how and why it is sucking
    anyone ever have a friend or a love one addicted to cocaine?
    ever been addicted to cocaine?
    ever been a victim of a crime because of cocaine?
    ever do cocaine?
    still doin' cocaine?
    what if they legalized cocaine?
    popo have no one to throw in the clink [2/3 of amerikkka's jail population is non violent drug offenders]
    we house more people than any other nation except China
    sad times we livin in
    jeezy,wackenhut ,law enforcement,shareholders at SONY and UNIVERSAL and odub[mass media] win.

• Yes, people who write for Bay Area weeklies make about $76k a year.

ODub, looks like someone else is way more than you.

what a complex suite of tainted real world issues we have here
    art reflecting life
    the art sucking
    dudes making mad money off of the art sucking
    dudes making a nice 76,000 dolla a year salary writing about art and how it is sucking
    dudes on machines in cyber space wasting time contesting how and why it is sucking
    anyone ever have a friend or a love one addicted to cocaine?
    ever been addicted to cocaine?
    ever been a victim of a crime because of cocaine?
    ever do cocaine?
    still doin' cocaine?
    what if they legalized cocaine?
    popo have no one to throw in the clink [2/3 of amerikkka's jail population is non violent drug offenders]
    we house more people than any other nation except China
    sad times we livin in
    jeezy,wackenhut ,law enforcement,shareholders at SONY and UNIVERSAL and odub[mass media] win.

Wow. Ok, NOW this thread has managed to include every single view possible.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

Wow. Ok, NOW this thread has managed to include every single view possible.
    I like this crazy fucker. Clearly they are the rantings of a madman, but there is a message in there somewhere. I cant really understand what it is, but he is saying something in that big psychotic mess of fragmented sentences and broken English.

(no offense kala)

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Odub your as bad as a street corner hustler
    making that crack money
    REUP - hit up rolling stone, apparently they're covering this shit now.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

sad times we livin in
    I disagree--things have never been better.