o-dub on coke rap

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Harvey I dont get why you get all personal about shit like this.

:5pager:

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Harvey I dont get why you get all personal about shit like this. Odub should and can write about whatever he wants. Yr making good points but they're hidden behind this absurd xenophobic/possesive YOU DONT GET TO TALK ABOUT THAT bullshit

You are challenging a basic force of nature. One might as well observe "I don't get why water is wet..."

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Archaic Catnip

• Harvey I dont get why you get all personal about shit like this. Odub should and can write about whatever he wants. Yr making good points but they're hidden behind this absurd xenophobic/possesive YOU DONT GET TO TALK ABOUT THAT bullshit

edite: :5pager:!!!

Because its old news... yay Crack rap! its always been around it just has a hip new term to associate with it. great. Odub can write about what he wants, its just his assertions in the piece are not ground breaking or new. Nothing has changed other than writers/labels need a flavor of the month crunk, hyphy crack rap.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Because Harvey/Archaic is a GANGSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He used to pack a gun in his backpack when he rolled to the health food store to see Aceyalone. I am sure that Archaic has some stories about slangin' crack in New Orleans and Houston. Maybe he will post those in a minute.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Harvey I dont get why you get all personal about shit like this. Odub should and can write about whatever he wants. Yr making good points but they're hidden behind this absurd xenophobic/possesive YOU DONT GET TO TALK ABOUT THAT bullshit

edite: :5pager:!!!

Because its old news... yay Crack rap! its always been around it just has a hip new term to associate with it. great. Odub can write about what he wants, its just his assertions in the piece are not ground breaking or new. Nothing has changed other than writers/labels need a flavor of the month crunk, hyphy crack rap.
    dude i know.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

That's part of my point...if these magazines want stories on crack rap, they should hire writers who know what the fuck they are talking about on the subject.

Instead, they get people unqualified for the job to draw bullshit conclusions, that thanks to their media reach...stick.

Plus, whether Oliver is taking it as such or not, I'm giving him good advice, albeit too late to help in this instance.

It's a simple rule...if you don't know the material, don't write about it.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Thats because he's a punk. possessive is the perfect term. Oliver writes about rap, and has a large audience. Harvey Anal post CD covers of groups that nobody has heard of. All of a sudden all these crack rappers are on the cover of magazines, people are using words like "trap" and wearing "Snowman" t-shirts and shit, and you aren't going to say its a phenomenon???? Its worth noting, and deserves a breif examination, and that's what Oliver did.

Years down the road you (but not YOU) will read that and go "oh yeah, I remember that shit" and thats about as important as it will get. Like snap music. Where are all the people that were up in arms about snap music now?? I don't know if oliver wrote about snap or not, But I'm sure you would have been all up in his asshole challenging his cred if he did. Not too many people are using the word "crunk" now. what are people talking about? crack rap. So WHY THE FUCK WOULD HE NOT WRITE A LITTLE ARTICLE ABOUT WHATS HOT RIGHT NOW?????????? Jesus Christ.

You are so full of yourself. Stop looking at everything through your tiny ass world view that only you have. "crack rap" is whats "hot" right now in rap. Oliver's job (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is to write about what's "hot" right now in rap. Maybe his article should have read:

"Crack rap is the biggest thing in rap right now. But I can't write about it because I'm not an expert. Stay tuned for next week's article where I don't explain quantum physics."

Because Harvey/Archaic is a GANGSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He used to pack a gun in his backpack when he rolled to the health food store to see Aceyalone. I am sure that Archaic has some stories about slangin' crack in New Orleans and Houston. Maybe he will post those in a minute.

No, but I can at least tell stories of me listening to what fools are now calling crack rap albums pre-2002.

And Oliver, that is not just aimed at you alone. As I previously pointed out, you are hardly the worst case scenario in this.

• Harvey I dont get why you get all personal about shit like this. Odub should and can write about whatever he wants. Yr making good points but they're hidden behind this absurd xenophobic/possesive YOU DONT GET TO TALK ABOUT THAT bullshit

That's part of my point...if these magazines want stories on crack rap, they should hire writers who know what the fuck they are talking about on the subject.

Instead, they get people unqualified for the job to draw bullshit conclusions, that thanks to their media reach...stick.

Plus, whether Oliver is taking it as such or not, I'm giving him good advice, albeit too late to help in this instance.

No offense to ODub, but this is completely on point as far as how that article comes off.

I smell a little professional Jealosy.

Oliver should pay you to post here.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Thats because he's a punk. possessive is the perfect term. Oliver writes about rap, and has a large audience. Harvey Anal post CD covers of groups that nobody has heard of. All of a sudden all these crack rappers are on the cover of magazines, people are using words like "trap" and wearing "Snowman" t-shirts and shit, and you aren't going to say its a phenomenon???? Its worth noting, and deserves a breif examination, and that's what Oliver did.

Years down the road you (but not YOU) will read that and go "oh yeah, I remember that shit" and thats about as important as it will get. Like snap music. Where are all the people that were up in arms about snap music now?? I don't know if oliver wrote about snap or not, But I'm sure you would have been all up in his asshole challenging his cred if he did. Not too many people are using the word "crunk" now. what are people talking about? crack rap. So WHY THE FUCK WOULD HE NOT WRITE A LITTLE ARTICLE ABOUT WHATS HOT RIGHT NOW?????????? Jesus Christ.

You are so full of yourself. Stop looking at everything through your tiny ass world view that only you have. "crack rap" is whats "hot" right now in rap. Oliver's job (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is to write about what's "hot" right now in rap. Maybe his article should have read:

"Crack rap is the biggest thing in rap right now. But I can't write about it because I'm not an expert. Stay tuned for next week's article where I don't explain quantum physics."

here here

this is like saying that a news anchorman can't talk on the middle east cause he's reporting from a desk in DC.

b/w

Archaic Catnip

here here

this is like saying that a new anchorman can't talk on the middle east cause he's reporting from a desk in DC.

b/w

Archaic Catnip

Although the news anchor has various correspondents/affiliates on the scene that are involved first hand with what is going on. Not that its not warped just sayin. The article just came off as bad IMO.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

This shit is classic right here. In that case. 99% of the rappers out there shouldn't be writin' rhymes. Including most of ur heroes. Maybe then, we would only get bored off only one of your posts a weak.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    IMO there's no more crack-related rap out there today as there has been for 12+ years.
    Prove it with numbers.

• my 2 cents:

jeezy and clipse are selling, in part, due to an image that has nothing to do with how well they can rap. there are plenty of rappers who sell millions without ever voicing any real opinions because everyone (i'm sure) would agree that you can be a great rapper without voicing social or political commentary.

"crack rap" is a voluntary choice by artists to seperate themselves from party raps and bragadocia. artists like jeezy and the clipse are in it for the money. if rapping about baking donuts made them money, the new jeezy album would have a song dedicated to french cruellers.

the fact that these albums are selling so well is more of a commentary on us as consumers than it is about them. the buyer determines the market.

IMO there's no more crack-related rap out there today as there has been for 12+ years.
    Prove it with numbers.

Here ya go...

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    "Cocaine rap continues to resonate"

Maybe then, we would only get bored off only one of your posts a weak.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

my 2 cents:

jeezy and clipse are selling, in part, due to an image that has nothing to do with how well they can rap. there are plenty of rappers who sell millions without ever voicing any real opinions because everyone (i'm sure) would agree that you can be a great rapper without voicing social or political commentary.

"crack rap" is a voluntary choice by artists to seperate themselves from party raps and bragadocia. artists like jeezy and the clipse are in it for the money. if rapping about baking donuts made them money, the new jeezy album would have a song dedicated to french cruellers.

the fact that these albums are selling so well is more of a commentary on us as consumers than it is about them. the buyer determines the market.

Have you even heard the Clipse album? It's a defiantly noncommercial effort. And it's not selling very well, either.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

here here

this is like saying that a new anchorman can't talk on the middle east cause he's reporting from a desk in DC.

b/w

Archaic Catnip

Although the news anchor has various correspondents/affiliates on the scene that are involved first hand with what is going on. Not that its not warped just sayin. The article just came off as bad IMO.
    The correspondents are the crack/coke rappers who are saying the scene is bigger than ever.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    The correspondents are the crack rappers who are saying the scene is bigger than ever.

Has any so called "crack rapper" ever self identified as such?

The correspondents are the crack rappers who are saying the scene is bigger than ever.

"REPUBLICAN RAP"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Can't we all just get along?

All jokes aside, I haven't turned this into some personal beef space and I'd really like for other people to try to ease off that too since, to me, it detracts from what I think is a far more interesting question than "who's wacker: O-Dub or Archaic?"

That question is: is this crack rap phenom real or imagined?

The former question actually turns on this b/c people who think I'm talking out my ass also seem to think that the phenom isn't real.

One thing though: Deej reprinted my monthly column for a Bay Area newspaper. It is not "national," it has a relatively small circulation, even in the Bay, and the only reason I suspect Deej saw it was because, for whatever reason, the guy who runs NahRight.com decided to include it in his daily news round-up.

I'm not saying this as a way to discount my argument, but rather, I think some perspective is needed here. It's not like I wrote XXL's "History of Crack Rap" piece or that Rolling Stone wants me to knock out 4000 words on the topic by next week. My column does not aspire to be "THE FINAL WORD" and I'm rather surprised that people would jump to make that assumption.

Furthermore, I think people are also reading far more into my essay than what's actually stated there in 800 words.

My point wasn't that the Clipse and Scarface, in 2002, started this current fad in terms of leading directly to other artists jocking. It was more that they, as a pair, mark this interesting moment to me where crack rap is handed off from one perspective - i.e. the introspective, reflective view on crack vis a vis Scarface - to a new one - "player/rapper, I'm not you. I don't need rap to make money, I cook crack."

What the bulk of my column was oriented around was that shift. And if people want to debate that too - ok, let's go there. But let's stop using this as a forum to air out personal slaps. It's just pointless.

Back on topic:

Personally, I DO think the success of "Grindin'" and "Lord Willin" was an influence on later artists but I wouldn't go as far to say that T.I. and Jeezy owe their careers to them even if I'm inclined to see some kind of arc going on there.

Noz was suggesting to me offline that what the major difference has been is that as the South has ascended (and as NY has followed suit), crack rap was bound to become more prevalent simply because slanging has always been such a prominent part of Southern rap.

That sounds rather sound to me and it anything, it'd bolster my argument that a change has happened. And ergo, is worth writing about.

Anybody that uses that phrase should probably refrain from even participating in this discussion.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Personally, I DO think the success of "Grindin'" and "Lord Willin" was an influence on later artists but I wouldn't go as far to say that T.I. and Jeezy owe their careers to them even if I'm inclined to see some kind of arc going on there.

Noz was suggesting to me offline that what the major difference has been is that as the South has ascended (and as NY has followed suit), crack rap was bound to become more prevalent simply because slanging has always been such a prominent part of Southern rap.

Oliver,

where would you say the drug slanging references of Biggie and Jay-Z fall into the history of this? also what about Nas "Escobar"? Is refering to coke sales on a track not the same as crack sales in your opinion?

I've always thought of Affirmative Action by Nas as a major coke song

This is what... this what they want huh?
    This is what it's all about..
    What? Time to take Affirmative Action son
    They just don't understand, youknowImean?
    Niggaz comin sideways thinkin stuff is sweet man
    Yknahmean?
    Niggaz don't understand the four devils:
    Lust.. Envy.. Hate.. Jealousy
    Wicked niggaz man

[AZ the Visualiza]
    Yo, sit back relax catchin contacts, sip your cog-nac
    And let's all wash this money through this laundry mat
    Sneak attack, a new cat sit back, worth top dollar
    In fact, touch mines, and I'll react like a Rottweiler
    Who pull the late, we play for high stakes at gunpoint
    Catch em and break, undress em tie em with tape, no escape
    The Corleone, fettucini Capone
    Roam in your own zone or get kidnapped and clapped in your dome
    We got it sewn, The Firm art of war is unknown
    Lower your tone, face it, homicide cases get blown
    Aristocrats, politickin daily with diplomats
    See me I'm an official mack, Lex Coupe triple black

[Cormega]
    Criminal thoughts in the blue Porsche, my destiny's to be the new boss
    That nigga Paulie gotta die - he too soft
    That nigga's dead on, a key of her-oin, they found his head on
    the couch with his dick in his mouth, I put the hit out
    Yo, the smoothest killer since Bugsy, bitches love me
    And Queens where my drugs be, I wear Guess jeans and rugbies
    Yo my people from Medina they will see you
    when you re-up on your heater all your cream go betweeen us
    Real shit, my Desert Eagle got a ill grip
    I chill with, niggaz that hit Dominican spots and steal bricks
    My red beam, made a dread scream, and sprayed a Fed team
    Corleone be turnin niggaz to fiends[/b]
    U-Conn's and ninja black Lexus, 'Mega the pretty boy
    with mafia connections it's The Firm nigga set it

[Nas]
    Yo, my mind is seein through your design like blind fury
    I shine jewelry sippin on crushed grapes, we lust papes
    and push cakes inside the casket at Just wake
    It's sickenin, he just finished biddin upstate
    And now the projects, is talkin that somebody gotta die shit
    It's logic, as long as it's nobody that's in my clique
    My man Smoke, know how to expand coke, and Mr. Coffee
    Feds cost me two mill' to get the system off me[/b]
    "Life's a Bitch," but God-forbid the bitch divorce me
    I'll be flooded with ice so hellfire can't scorch me
    Cuban cigars meetin Foxy at Demars
    Movin cars, your top papi Senor Escobar

[Foxy Brown]
    In the black Camaro
    Firm deep all my niggaz hail the blackest sparrow
    Wallabee's be the apparel
    Through the darkest tunnel, I got visions of multimillions
    in the biggest bundle, in the Lex pushed by my nigga Jungle
    He money bags got Moet, Sean Don
    Bundle of sixty-two, they ain't got a clue what we about to do
    My whole team we shittin hard like Czar
    Sosa, Foxy Brown, Cormega, and Escobar
    I keep a fat marquis piece, laced in all the illest snake skin
    Armani sweaters Carolina Hebrera
    Be The Firm baby, from BK to the 'Bridge
    My nigga Wiz, operation Firm Biz, so what the deal is
    I keep a phat jew-el, sippin Crist-ies
    Sittin on top of fifty grand in the Nautica Van, uhh!
    We stay incogni' like all them thug niggaz in Marcy
    The Gods, they praise Allah with visions of Gandhi
    Bet it on, my whole crew is Don Juan
    On Cayman Island with a case of Cristal and Papa Chula spoke
    Nigga with them Cubans that snort coke
    Raw though, an ounce mixed wit leak that's pure though
    Flippin the bigger picture, the bigger nigga with the cheddar
    Was mad dripper, he had a fuckin villa in Manilla
    We got to flee to Panama, but wait it's half and half
    Keys is one and two-fifth, so how we flip
    Thirty-two grams raw, chop it in half, get sixteen, double it times three
    We got forty-eight, which mean a whole lot of cream
    Divide the profit by four, subtract it by eight
    We back to sixteen, now add the other two that 'Mega bringin through
    So let's see, if we flip this other key
    Then that's more for me, mad coke and mad leak
    Plus a five hundred, cut in half is two-fifty
    Now triple that times three, we got three quarters of another key[/b]
    The Firm baby, volume one uhh..

Actually, writing the article for a Yay Area pub makes it even worse. There's an entire local lineage there that you didn't even bother to mention.

I don't think anyone is following the lead of The Clipse and Scarface's The Fix. If anyone, they're following UGK. And if Scarface is indeed in that mix, it's early Money and the Power Scarface...as referenced by Baby on Stuntin Like My Daddy.

• Actually, writing the article for a Yay Area pub makes it even worse. There's an entire local lineage there that you didn't even bother to mention.

I don't think anyone is following the lead of The Clipse and Scarface's The Fix. If anyone, they're following UGK. And if Scarface is indeed in that mix, it's early Money and the Power Scarface...as referenced by Baby on Stuntin Like My Daddy.

haha seriously, I don't think I have ever agreed with Archaic his much before. preach on.

And whats more you are leaving out whole blocks of east-coast and LA related "crack rap" that has been around and played and replayed. Shit even midwest hip-hop has/had crack references.

I don't think