Jay Z - Kingdom gone

SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Jay-Z sold 133,146 records last week, a whopping drop of 81% in a week. How long before it hits the dollar bin ?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Jay-Z sold 133,146 records last week, a whopping drop of 81% in a week. How long before it hits the dollar bin ?

It's normal for 2nd week albums to take a drop but 81% is high even for that. Looks like word of mouth > hype.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    OOOf.

• First week was probably all the preorder buyers, now they know better

• NY Hip Hop is offically dead.

btw - the actual number is 139,933

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    NY Hip Hop is offically dead.

Getting a little nervous about that wager?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Clipse: #14, 78,000 units.

If they were on Koch though...

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts

records are officaly dead!!!!

• Getting a little nervous about that wager?

naw - another 800k in 34 weeks???? that's 24k a week - I'm still looking good.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Looks like it

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Jay-Z is not the gauge for NY HIP HOP. He's been POP since Blueprint.

• Are you kidding? Three weeks before Christmas and the bestselling album doesn't break 200K? That shows rediculous weakness in the industry as a whole. The fact that Jay is going platinum before the end of the year is a testament to his fan base (though that kind of drop in sales is really bad anyway you look at it). The album's really grown on me, though. I might call it his second worst one ever, but it's still good, and to me ages better than the clipse. It's a pretty exciting december for hip hop releases in general.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    It's a pretty exciting december for hip hop releases in general.
    I agree about this, but thats because its like a years worth of rap releases dropping in Nov.-Dec. to catch the holiday sales bump = rappers are shameless hustlers. I hope T.I.'s next verse brags about how much he sold despite releasing an album in March or whenever it was that King dropped

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I might call it his second worst one ever, but it's still good,

Those are some high standards.

• Are you kidding? Three weeks before Christmas and the bestselling album doesn't break 200K? That shows rediculous weakness in the industry as a whole. The fact that Jay is going platinum before the end of the year is a testament to his fan base (though that kind of drop in sales is really bad anyway you look at it). The album's really grown on me, though. I might call it his second worst one ever, but it's still good, and to me ages better than the clipse. It's a pretty exciting december for hip hop releases in general.