NY bans most trans fats from restaurants

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I guess I should have qualified it as sane Adults.
    i could probably agree with this too but it aint like kids hit 18 and they're all "shit ima eat some mcdonalds!" kids are brought up on fast food, eat fast food their whole life, and pass it on to their own kids.

• I'm against any law designed to protect sane people from harming themselves.

interesting, how do you feel about seatbelts, elevator inspections, and school PE programs?

Fuck all that. Helmets too, don't forget about helmets. Only Nazis wear helmets.

Let's ban sex without condoms, too. Or how about we make sex with condoms the law until marriage?

You guys are being ridiculous.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I'm against any law designed to protect sane people from harming themselves.

interesting, how do you feel about seatbelts, elevator inspections, and school PE programs?

Fuck all that. Helmets too, don't forget about helmets. Only Nazis wear helmets.

[insert non-offensive killin' it graemlin here]

Seeing things in only black and white [no kramer] is a dangerous way to think.
    And Rock, this is no attack on you, I just think that each case needs to be looked at from all sides rather than make blanket statements.

There's obviously good and bad aspects to this whole thing. I though, am for it. It's unnecessary and benefits companies more than anyone else. Now if they banned pizza it would be all out war.

btw - I can't wait to see the "WE WANT TRANSFAT" protest signs.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Let's ban sex without condoms, too. Or how about we make sex with condoms the law until marriage?

Naw man, we should just ban sex. No more STDs, no more overpopulation issues, no more jealous lovers killing each other in a rage.

Masturbation = revolution.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ridiculous would be comparing eXXXtreme sports with heart disease and other health problems caused by trans fats.

• Should I chum the waters with abortion or would that be too much?

ridiculous would be comparing eXXXtreme sports with heart disease and other health problems caused by trans fats.

I think there's a lot of sarcasm being tossed around in this thread that people are assuming is meant to be sincere.

Just to be clear, I was joking about everything I wrote in this thread except for the part about banning sex. Sex = evil. BAN!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Should I chum the waters with abortion or would that be too much?

we've already gone way overboard with talk of UNSATURATED FAT so go for it.

Unlike other fats, trans fats are neither required nor beneficial for health.[1] Eating trans fat increases the risk of coronary heart disease.[/b]

Aside from the obvious gov. regulating, anyone care to tell me why this ban even matters?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Should I chum the waters with abortion or would that be too much?

going from Crisco to abortion rights is a bit of a stretch.

Point blank there are very few if any positives attributed to transfats. The downside of them is massive though. People can still eat as unhealthy as they want to in all other areas they just can't pile this type of hardened fat into their favorite restaurant meal.

Why is there even an argument on this?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

And Rock, this is no attack on you, I just think that each case needs to be looked at from all sides rather than make blanket statements.

There's obviously good and bad aspects to this whole thing. I though, am for it. It's unnecessary and benefits companies more than anyone else. Now if they banned pizza it would be all out war.

You wanna protect kids from Transfat by making illegal for a minor to eat it, just like they can't drink until they are of age....fine...

BUT....

Name ONE law that you would be in favor of designed to protect a sane Adult from doing harm to themselves, and ONLY themselves??

• Naw man - this just means that restaurants will go back to old natural favorites like lard. Or ghee. Mmmmm...unclarified butter.

actually, ghee is purified butter. just had some on my happily healthy tofurkey day. just sayin.

But yeah, what if restaurants have to spend more and make better quality food? Shnikes! We might just stop being the fattest country on the planet! What, with Taco Smell shutting down maad stores this week for e coli, and this movie in theaters nationwide, I'm feeling like some positive change might actually be on its way...

also, as for education, I been teaching my (young and impressionable) students for years that a big ole tasty plate of rice, beans and veggies is waaay cheaper than a trans-fat banana. Bloomie should hire me.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    FIRST THEY CAME FOR TRANS FAT AND NO ONE SAID ANYTHING
    THEN THEY CAME FOR EXTREME SPORTS AND NO ONE SAID ANYTHING
    THEN THEY CAME FOR ME AND THERE WAS NO ONE TO SAY ANYTHING

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    people would willingly consume all these products if they were still on the market, even w/ known health risks.

The vast majority of folks who eat this food probably have no idea what trans fats are and how enormous the negative impact is to your body... I guess they will now though, in NY at least

• Bikes and free weights also need to go. These things are clearly unnecessary for providing a healthy lifestyle. We should be able to eat only what the government allows, thus maintaining healthy lifestyles without hazarding to break a sweat.

FIRST THEY CAME FOR TRANS FAT AND NO ONE SAID ANYTHING

Go rollerblading without your knee-pads and helmet in your own little corner then, thrill-seaker. But miss me with whatever bullshitt you're trying to bring into this discussion.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    So i listened to some cool records today...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Just to note: banning trans-fats will likely shift restaurants to use equally unhealthy forms of fats and oils to cook with. Just b/c it's natural doesn't mean the shit is any better for you.

I don't think there is anything remotely as dangerous that could be used to replace it

• FIRST THEY CAME FOR TRANS FAT AND NO ONE SAID ANYTHING

That actually was funny. Good times.

That said, I'ma go get a big-ass burrito and plop down to watch House. O the inner conflict!

Go rollerblading without your knee-pads and helmet in your own little corner then, thrill-seaker. But miss me with whatever bullshitt you're trying to bring into this discussion.

Huh?? We need more roller blading laws too??

THIS JUST IN: PEOPLE WERE FAT AND UNHEALTHY BEFORE TRANS FAT!!!

Naw man, we should just ban sex. No more STDs, no more overpopulation issues, no more jealous lovers killing each other in a rage.

Masturbation = revolution.

Then, HairyBelafonte=Che Guevera

• dayday 9,611 Posts

You wanna protect kids from Transfat by making illegal for a minor to eat it, just like they can't drink until they are of age....fine...

BUT....

Name ONE law that you would be in favor of designed to protect a sane Adult from doing harm to themselves, and ONLY themselves??

I see what you're saying and I agree that people should be able to more or less do whatever they want to themselves (within reason). I just don't think this particular example is that big of a deal. If heart disease and obesity is out of control - particularly from useless (albeit flavorful ) things like transfat - I don't mind if they ban it.
    I highly doubt this will open the flood gates of the gov. banning foods.

THIS JUST IN: EVEN MORE PEOPLE ARE FAT AND UNHEALTHY AFTER TRANS FAT!!!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    we're arguing about FAT

we're arguing about FAT

It's come to this.

Cosmo had the "worst day" prediction off by a day.

BUT....

I see what you're saying and I agree that people should be able to more or less do whatever they want to themselves (within reason). I just don't think this particular example is that big of a deal. If heart disease and obesity is out of control - particularly from useless (albeit flavorful ) things like transfat - I don't mind if they ban it.

You seriously would support a law that says a person can't eat what food they choose to??

I see it like this.....

The "DUMB" people in our country have to be protected from themselves. They are too "DUMB" to wear a helmet, or put on a seatbelt or eat raw pig livers, so the "SMART" people have to pass laws to protect the "DUMB" ones from making the wrong decision.

Honestly, this line of thinking is the most bigoted, pompous pile of shit I've ever seen.

You're actually correct with that, but not as many and definetly not as fat. Plus food wasn't marketed and manufactured as much as it today as it was before.

Out of curiousity, what is your diet like?

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    i dont see how you guys could be supporting transfats. Its basically a poison that gunks up arteries like you wouldn't believe. Next to high fructose corn syrup its one of the nastiest things you can ingest.
    Fast and convenient foods are soaked with trans fats. In a 9-year study of more than 16,500 men, researchers found that for every 2 percent increase in trans fat intake, men added one-third of an inch to their waists. (Mono- and polyunsaturated fats had no effect.) Plus, an 80,000-person Harvard study found that getting just 3 percent of your daily calories from trans fats increases your risk of heart disease by up to 50 percent. To put that in perspective, 3 percent of your day's calories totals about 7 grams of trans fats ??? that's roughly the amount in a single order of fries.

Trans fat (also called trans fatty acids) is formed when liquid vegetable oils go through a chemical process called hydrogenation, in which hydrogen is added to make the oils more solid. Hydrogenated vegetable fats are used by food processors because they allow longer shelf-life and give food desirable taste, shape, and texture.

The majority of trans fat can be found in shortenings, stick (or hard) margarine, cookies, crackers, snack foods, fried foods (including fried fast food), doughnuts, pastries, baked goods, and other processed foods made with or fried in partially hydrogenated oils. Some trans fat is found naturally in small amounts in various meat and dairy products. The FDA estimates that the average daily intake of trans fat in the U.S. population is about 5.8 grams or 2.6 percent of calories per day for individuals 20 years of age and older.

Evidence suggests that consumption of trans fat raises LDL (???bad???) cholesterol levels and lowers HDL (???good???) cholesterol levels, causing the arteries to become clogged and increasing the risk of developing heart disease and stroke.

This is shit you want to take into your body? Natural forums of fat and grease are bad, but not nearly 1/3rd as bad as transfats. So i think in the safety of public health, because a lot of people eat food on the run anymore and dont really have time to eat healthy on the road, they should be outlawed. Maybe we will start seeing these obesity levels start coming down a little after this.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    people should be able to more or less do whatever they want to themselves (within reason). I just don't think this particular example is that big of a deal. If heart disease and obesity is out of control - particularly from useless (albeit flavorful ) things like transfat - I don't mind if they ban it.

I got no problem with people fucking themselves up as badly as they want as long as they are educated on what they are doing to themselves and they can pay the medical bills afterwards for the damage they've done.

until folks know what Trans fats are, what they do to your body, and have the non-government assisted means to pay for any health problems caused by them I say we need to remove them from restaurants

folks can still get as partially hydrogenated as they want in their own homes