NY bans most trans fats from restaurants

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Can I assume that every one of you are also for outlawing cigarettes??

And if not, please list all the benefits.

I would be but that's like trying to outlaw alcohol. Shit ain't gonna happen. At least trans-fats are out (and only in NYC).

Worry not, Midwesteners can still get their transfats on. JYEAH!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

based on bans on smoking in public areas and ridiculous taxes, cigarettes are pretty much all but banned in the US. i am fine with bans on smoking in public areas. cigarettes are also addictive while although them burgers are tasty, my ass aint addicted to no trans fat

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Rock,

You don't think society has a responsibility to look after the well-being of the uneducated (who are uneducated largely due to inequalities in our social structure rather than individual decision)?

I suppose the poor are poor b/c they don't work hard enough - so forget about helping them?

I'm all for helping them.....let's educate, let's give benefits to restaurants that DO serve healthy food, there are lots of things we can do.

Passing a law of this type, in my mind, is close to legislating morality and definitely constitutes rights infrigement.

And that bothers me.

BUT

The next time some crackpot Republican wants to take away one of YOUR choices just remember this thread.

You wanna change it to the Educated need to protect the Uneducated, and you think that sounds any less condescending, that's cool with me.

So trying to teach people who are uneducated is now a condescending form of protection?

COOL!

How do you equate Passing a Law = Education???

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

transfats are not cigarettes, when people start lighting up hardened hydrogenated sticks of fat and taking them to the head then we can compare.

does anyone ever say they "need" transfat?

its a useless poison with its only benefit being that companies can cash in on its cheap cost and pocket some extra dollars

transfats are not cigarettes, when people start lighting up hardened hydrogenated sticks of fat and taking them to the head then we can compare.

its a useless poison with its only benefit being that companies can cash in on its cheap cost and pocket some extra dollars

Do you think there are folks who can make that same exact argument about red meat???

• Yeah, I also have a sister in the medical field and a father who underwent a double bypass.

And I'm not at all in favor of transfats.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Do you think there are folks who can make that same exact argument about red meat???
    please give me an exact substitute for red meat like there are millionsn for trans fat

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Yeah, I also have a sister in the medical field and a father who underwent a double bypass.

so why are you attakcing me and my stance?

can this be the one time that Ross and Adam actually agree to agree?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

why are you throwing cigarettes and red meat into a discussion about the banning of transfats from restaurants?

the issue isn't steak or Newports, the issue is a hardened fat substance with more negatives attributed to it than postiives

PS I'm still waiting for you to tell me a benefit of transfat

• I'm 100% for education and against passing a law.

im sure educating people about trans fats and the like will help a lot when they're deciding as to whether they should completely change their diet (and spend a whole lot more money) or pay their rent and bills for the month

Stop perpetuatiing this myth that fast food is cheaper than grocery store food. This is simply not the case.

why are you throwing cigarettes and red meat into a discussion about the banning of transfats from restaurants?

the issue isn't steak or Newports, the issue is a hardened fat substance with more negatives attributed to it than postiives

Why don't you get this....

It's not the Fat, it's the principle.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I'm 100% for education and against passing a law.

im sure educating people about trans fats and the like will help a lot when they're deciding as to whether they should completely change their diet (and spend a whole lot more money) or pay their rent and bills for the month

Stop perpetuatiing this myth that fast food is cheaper than grocery store food. This is simply not the case.
    oh, i never said it was. i did however mention earlier in the thread that many lower income families have people working several jobs in between raising their kids and time tend to become a luxury in these situations. spending an hour to prepare food for the family after working a full day is the last thing on anyone's mind

• this is straight big brother...

teach by education instead of by outlawing.

hahahahahahaha. youre a fool. "teach by education" is a codeword for "dont do shit." this country needs big brother to regulate things...or are you a libertarian who would leave forest regulation, factory pollution and meat inspections up to industry? if it wasnt for big brother, we'd have cigarette commercials on tv during sunday morning cartoons

• Yeah, I also have a sister in the medical field and a father who underwent a double bypass.

I'm "attacking" this:

"if folks can't take care of themselves and the end result means I got to pay for their fat asses than I'm glad this move is being made."

You can neither see nor admit that the above statement is fucked up.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    id also like to take a moment to shoutout my parents for raising me right and not letting me eat any of this bullshit growing up. i hated them at the time for not letting me drink soda or eat fast food but im very grateful now. soy milk with the bootleg healthy fruit loops fucking sucked but shits all good now

• -

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Why don't you get this....

It's not the Fat, it's the principle.

the principle of selling poisons disguised as a tasty and cheap burger?

Arsenic is pretty cheap too, do you find it disturbing that theres rules against adding that to food in restaurants?

if it wasnt for big brother, we'd have cigarette commercials on tv during sunday morning cartoons

And then there would be more kids starting to smoke at an earlier age than we had25-30 years ago.....

And let me get this straight.... "Big Brother is not only necessary, it's a GOOD thing.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I'm 100% for education and against passing a law.

it is a factor of cost + time + convenience. Like P#t said, a lot of parents do not have time to cook because they're working.

people are forgetting about the topic at hand and instead are burrowing head on w/ their hardended "principals". Perspective, something sorely lacking in this thread.

• Just to note: banning trans-fats will likely shift restaurants to use equally unhealthy forms of fats and oils to cook with. Just b/c it's natural doesn't mean the shit is any better for you.

I don't think education > regulation in every case but in this case, education + regulation could be very valuable, indeed.

man, dont know if i got the time to por eover the whole thread, but looks like dub, guzzo etc ar eholding it down from my side.

transfats in the human body has been compared to sand in a clock.

ONLY reasons its used is cause it is perfect for the processed food industry: looong shelf life, acts as a preservative, burns only at extremely high temps (for frying), keeps foods together (keeps icing on donuts, peanutbutter from naturally separating), makes pastries fluffy and is DIRT CHEAP!

its really a franken food...the hydrogenation process is some laboratory shit.
    obesity crisis in this country parallels the usage of high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oils. go figure. basically obesity has increased hand in hand with processed food as a cornerstone of the american diet.

and taxpayers foot the fucking bill.

everyone saying that we should let sane people do bad shit to themselves...id agree, as long as they are then not eligible for subsidized medicine. (im kinda joking)

exactly, seems like nobody's heard of buying a vegetable.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Yeah, I also have a sister in the medical field and a father who underwent a double bypass.

I'm "attacking" this:

"if folks can't take care of themselves and the end result means I got to pay for their fat asses than I'm glad this move is being made."

You can neither see nor admit that the above statement is fucked up.

I didn't word it politely but I didn't feel I had to.

I hope you didn't take my "If folks can't take care of themselves" as some sort of attack on invalids, I'm talking about those that don't know the dangers of eating things like trans-fat

I stand by the idea of educating people on nutrition and I'm upset that my money goes to help perpetuate the cycle of unhealthy eating.

Doctors, at best can recommend that a patient not eat certain foods, however if that patient still chooses to they can be given a mess of pills that will allow them to still swallow that crap. My father does this and guess who pays for it? You. When he goes to the doctor complaining about some nutrition related ailment and they treat him do you know who pays for it? You

when people in poor income brackets suffer from heart disease related to poor diets (containing trans-fats) and run up hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars in medical fees which then end up in some rich medical & pharmicutical conglomerates hands who pays for it? You

this money would be much better spent earlier on in these peoples lives letting them know what they might be facing down the road. Maybe its an insensitive stance, but you can't be considerate of the feelings of those on the sidelines when the bigger picture is one that includes education and health for all.

I love my dad, and I love lots of other unhealthy eaters out there but that love ain't going to bring them back from heart disease, heart attacks, type-2 diabetes, or any other issue related to an unhealthy diet.

Just to note: banning trans-fats will likely shift restaurants to use equally unhealthy forms of fats and oils to cook with. Just b/c it's natural doesn't mean the shit is any better for you.

I don't think education > regulation in every case but in this case, education + regulation could be very valuable, indeed.

man, dont know if i got the time to por eover the whole thread, but looks like dub, guzzo etc ar eholding it down from my side.

ONLY reasons its used is cause it is perfect for the processed food industry: looong shelf life, acts as a preservative, burns only at extremely high temps (for frying), keeps foods together (keeps icing on donuts, peanutbutter from naturally separating), makes pastries fluffy and is DIRT CHEAP!

obesity crisis in this country parallels the usage of high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oils. go figure. basically obesity has increased hand in hand with processed food as a cornerstone of the american diet.

everyone saying that we should let sane people do bad shit to themselves...id agree, as long as they are then not eligible for subsidized medicine. (im kinda joking)

I'm gonna give it one more try before I retire to some tepid Bitburger...

There are these certain grains, and people can take them and create this "poison" by some sort of distilling process......and it kills Americans every year, some die the same day they drink it while some just have 10-20 years taken off their life by it.

It even kills innocent people at the hands of those who abuse it and get behind the wheel.

Please explain why this product shouldn't be outlawed??

And if the "it's nothing but bad for you" argument holds up, how long will it be before it is??

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_paradox

there is also a pleasure derived from consuming alcohol, obviously w/i limits. Nobody derives satisfaction from consuming trans fats, rather products containing trans fat. These trans fats can easily be replaced w/ no discernable difference in taste.

Again, sure you can have your principals, but couldn't you choose a more worthwhile battle to fight?

this is pointless.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Just to note: banning trans-fats will likely shift restaurants to use equally unhealthy forms of fats and oils to cook with. Just b/c it's natural doesn't mean the shit is any better for you.

I'm gonna give it one more try before I retire to some tepid Bitburger...

There are these certain grains, and people can take them and create this "poison" by some sort of distilling process......and it kills Americans every year, some die the same day they drink it while some just have 10-20 years taken off their life by it.

It even kills innocent people at the hands of those who abuse it and get behind the wheel.

Please explain why this product shouldn't be outlawed??

And if the "it's nothing but bad for you" argument holds up, how long will it be before it is??

first you drag cigarettes into a a talk about trans-fat, then red meat and now alcohol?

why is it that in a discussion about trans-fat all you want to do is talk about something else?

take your oranges to some other apple fair

• this is straight big brother...

teach by education instead of by outlawing.

hahahahahahaha. youre a fool. "teach by education" is a codeword for "dont do shit." this country needs big brother to regulate things...or are you a libertarian who would leave forest regulation, factory pollution and meat inspections up to industry? if it wasnt for big brother, we'd have cigarette commercials on tv during sunday morning cartoons

look man. people (and i mean peoples in general) will burn the midnight oil with all types of shit that is destructive or unhealthy until they finally discover its fucked up and then we (as a people in general) gotta come up with these ridiculous measures to combat it. why in the world can't we put all this money and effort into education from the get go and start teaching nutrition, environment, and other mighty healthly stances from the upper west to bushwick ave. especially in NYC, we need this shit. none of these kids hitting mcd's or kfc is gonna realize the magnitude of banning trans fat cause nobody is really telling them. the NY dept. of health & mental hygiene imo is like "look these people gonna eat their shit anyways, let's make the decision for them." i can't argue that it won't be beneficial to many, cause it will, but my og point was i'd rather teach someone that as an alternative to some sticken nuggets, go buy a mango, a papaya, or a banana and still have money left over for a blunt... on this level, let's teach options.

it is a factor of cost + time + convenience. Like P#t said, a lot of parents do not have time to cook because they're working.

people are forgetting about the topic at hand and instead are burrowing head on w/ their hardended "principals". Perspective, something sorely lacking in this thread.

Here's even better perspective: Eating unhealthy food will kill you and engrain bad eating habits in your children. Therefore, make time to cook or teach your children how to. Seems to me life trumps convenience.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Here's even better perspective: Eating unhealthy food will kill you and engrain bad eating habits in your children. Therefore, make time to cook or teach your children how to. Seems to me life trumps convenience.
    when you're living from paycheck, day to day, you think the same way. putting ANY kind of food on the table is a much more important day to day need than eating healthy for lower income people.

• What am I--a broken record? We've already debunked the cost differential, so why you keep dragging this one out baffles me. But replacing trans fat with another (less) unhealthy fat will finally get poor people to start eating healthy, right? YEAH RIGHT!

By the way, do you have any facts to support your opinion that poor families eat predominately from fast food chains, or are you simply making that up to justify your bogus argument?