Low End Theory VS. Midnight Marauders.

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    if i had to take one to a desert island or some ish...i'd take marauders.

Lyrics To Go is just and 8 million Stories is

Keep

BOUNCING

exactly.

• MM is all that, but LET is the music of my youth... meaning that shit just brings me back to a more innocent time I guess.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about these two albums. More sentimentality attached to LET for me.

A lot of mention of Electric Relaxation in this thread. Great joint, but for best MM song I think I gotta go with Sucka N*gga or We Can Get Down (last verse is the best).

• LOW END THEORY.[/b] One of the great rap albums of all times (right behind the new Jeezy and Clipse albums).
    It took me awhile to even get used to MM... not that I , but all I know is I bought Enter The Wu-Tang the same day and felt like it was totally > than MM. I couldn't get with the kick / snare programming of MM as opposed to the drums loops of LET at first... I did grow to cherish MM in it's own right eventually. Still waiting for LM to grow on me, though... just haven't reached that of awareness yet

Holy shit I thought I was the only one who did that. I think it was like October or something of that year, I remember it was raining and me and my man brian wen tto Tower records, I bought 36 Chambers (he hadn't ever heard of them) and he bought MM. We got in the car and tossed a coin to see which one we'd bump on the Cerwin-Vegas. He won and MM it was. By the time we got got to the Phife solo joint I pulled over and said "yo, you can sort through this on your own time. I'm putting in the wu-tang cassette". He was hurt for all of 3 minutes until the middle of the first track and "said I can't believe this shit! This is the craziest shit ever!" By December I came back to MM and it went on to being one of, if not my favorite, album of all time for it's production and sound quality. It is def. one of the best mixed hip hop records imo. but damn 36 chambers felt so right when I first heard, and thats the feeling I had when I heard LET. MM had to grow on me.

• LOW END THEORY.[/b] One of the great rap albums of all times (right behind the new Jeezy and Clipse albums).
    It took me awhile to even get used to MM... not that I , but all I know is I bought Enter The Wu-Tang the same day and felt like it was totally > than MM. I couldn't get with the kick / snare programming of MM as opposed to the drums loops of LET at first... I did grow to cherish MM in it's own right eventually. Still waiting for LM to grow on me, though... just haven't reached that of awareness yet

Holy shit I thought I was the only one who did that. I think it was like October or something of that year, I remember it was raining and me and my man brian wen tto Tower records, I bought 36 Chambers (he hadn't ever heard of them) and he bought MM. We got in the car and tossed a coin to see which one we'd bump on the Cerwin-Vegas. He won and MM it was. By the time we got got to the Phife solo joint I pulled over and said "yo, you can sort through this on your own time. I'm putting in the wu-tang cassette". He was hurt for all of 3 minutes until the middle of the first track and "said I can't believe this shit! This is the craziest shit ever!" By December I came back to MM and it went on to being one of, if not my favorite, album of all time for it's production and sound quality. It is def. one of the best mixed hip hop records imo. but damn 36 chambers felt so right when I first heard, and thats the feeling I had when I heard LET. MM had to grow on me.

total aside: these albums are classics, but phife solos still make me want to pull over and change the tape. so I can relate to your early experience with MM even today.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Low End has the rawest of the raw - Excursions, but I think Marauders was a more realized effort. The prior having a few tracks that really did not need to be included.

That said, I listen to de la.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    LET...I remember listening to the first tracks bassline when tip comes in "Back in the day when i was a teenager"...that was it. For me it was like musical evolution in real time. "jazz" sounded like from another galaxy ("Pete Rock for the beat, you don't stop")...MM was better produced though, cosine on this one...

• can't beat the Cal Tjader interludes tying the whole MM LP together...

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    This is too easy Batmon you should've made it the first tribe versus the second.
    I'd love to see people on here break their brain trying to choose one

• one of my phavorite albums of all time
    can pop this in at anytime

wile marauders is also super dope, its not something i can just grab without out thinking about
    its more of a concious effort when i put on maruaders

i could b sittin in my room and b like what , when did i out put on low end thoery...

thats just me tho

but rite now i am listenin to marauders and it still sounds phresh as ever! still one of my phavorite hiphop albums

but pleez gimme some

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    lol i just hit the 'back' button on my mouse twice after writing long replies, you gotta be kidding me. anyways, im a little younger than most dudes here and i got into ATCQ later than i did with some other shit (wu etc) initially I got into MM first, but have come to like LET more. (opposite of most on this thread). ill claim show business as my favorite joint

• dayday 9,611 Posts

one of my phavorite albums of all time
    can pop this in at anytime

wile marauders is also super dope, its not something i can just grab without out thinking about
    its more of a concious effort when i put on maruaders

i could b sittin in my room and b like what , when did i out put on low end thoery...

thats just me tho

but rite now i am listenin to marauders and it still sounds phresh as ever! still one of my phavorite hiphop albums

but pleez gimme some

that's giving mylatency a run for his money right there

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I didnt make an accurate count but its seems that LOW END THEORY is in the lead.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i spent a majority of my prepubescent years w/ Low End Theory in the walkman, so imma have to go with that by default.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Low End Theory.

Low End Theory.

Ive proved my point.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Low End Theory.

Ive proved my point.

That LET is the preferred choice of people that don't like rap?

• It's the same reason I'd take "De La Soul Is Dead" over "Buhloone Mindstate" even if the latter, arguably, is more sophisticated...DLSID was just an amazing leap forward by the group.

cause they used more samples? i dont think they ever topped 3 feet high or even came close for that matter...and i'm a huge fan. they took risks on De La is Dead and Buhloone, but i wouldnt want to listen to either album all the way through. Stakes is High was less critically acclaimed but is pretty solid throughout...even ten years later.

any newjacks wanna chime in?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    never grew up on or listened to any of these

Quote:h, 21b, 21never grew up on or listened to any of these b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21BON

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    b, 21b, 21So islanders grow up listening to Texas gangster rap?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    b, 21b, 21u sound hawaiian

• Quote:h, 21b, 21any newjacks wanna chime in? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21midnight marauders

• thread is a good read, but would have been wilder had it been people's instinctive travels vs. low end theory.b, 21b, 21i got into all of it late but young so i don't have that year by year separation in my mind. certainly midnight marauders is more technically competent. but both have the same energy -- it says a lot that most of the low end theory supporters have that sentimental memory of bringing them back to a special time in their lives.

• i said well daddy dont'cha know things go in cycles......b, 21b, 21b, 21nothing sounded like that lp. both are 2 different sounds/moods....both are equally as good for various reasons.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21a tie.

• Quote:h, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21any newjacks wanna chime in? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21midnight marauders b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" /1

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21 certainly midnight marauders is more technically competent.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/formpager3xk.gif" alt="" /1

• Quote:h, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21midnight marauders b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" /1 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1