Low End Theory VS. Midnight Marauders.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21 certainly midnight marauders is more technically competent.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/formpager3xk.gif" alt="" /1 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21 i got into all of it late but young b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21 It's the same reason I'd take "De La Soul Is Dead" over "Buhloone Mindstate" even if the latter, arguably, is more sophisticated...DLSID was just an amazing leap forward by the group. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21cause they used more samples? i dont think they ever topped 3 feet high or even came close for that matter...and i'm a huge fan. they took risks on De La is Dead and Buhloone, but i wouldnt want to listen to either album all the way through. Stakes is High was less critically acclaimed but is pretty solid throughout...even ten years later. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I don't think DLSID is a better album than "3 Ft. High" but I do think it's more fun to listen to compared to "Buhloone Mindstate" which still feels stilted to me. "DLSID" feels simultaneously hyper-thought out yet retains the aura of spontaneity.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21any newjacks wanna chime in? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21MIDNIGHT MARAUDERS

• Quote:h, 21b, 21The day that LET dropped me and my dudes went and listened to that shit while smoking blunts in my boys basement and, when "Scenario" was done, we were shellshocked. My one dude who was like the clown of the crew was like "Yeah that was dope but I wanna hear THIS" and he put on "Symphony Part 2" and me and the other dudes looked at each other like "This kid is a herb."b, 21b, 21But yeah, Low End Theory. MM is THAT SHIT but LET really made things happen for me in my mind and set that shit ina certain direction. By the time MM came out I was already hustling and DJing pretty regularly in clubs and so it was a DIFFERENT feeling. Like banging broads to "Electric Relaxation" and all, then going out and hitting the hot summer Philly nights like "Who's WORLD IS THIS?" MM is all that, but LET is the music of my youth... meaning that shit just brings me back to a more innocent time I guess.b, 21b, 21Bonus Beat props to PITITPOFAR for being the album that was playing while I was with the 3rd girl I did it with. That was dooope. Much better than the 2nd girl I did it with (music: DANZIG) or the first girl (music: West Coast Rap All Stars "We're All In The Same Gang".) b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21this is one of my favorite ss posts ever.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    So this is a topic I deal with on pretty much a monthly basis. I bought both these albums when they came out and I have to say that as much as Low End Theory shaped me, Midnight Marauders is the stronger album to me.b, 21b, 21i can also say that it probably has a lot to do with the fact that the month MM came out, I took a greyhound bus from dallas to LA to skate for a week and had MM in my (cassette) walkman the whole 36 hour ride there and back...i did flip to the local radio upon getting into LA and heard Warren G "Regulate" for the first time and was feeling that to the gills.b, 21b, 21But ultimately it's like choosing between the first girl you boned and the first that gave you head...you love them both and you don't want to hurt either by choosing sides. Just accept them for who they are and what they did for you at certain times in your life and move on up.

Quote:h, 21b, 21it's like choosing between the first girl you boned and the first that gave you head b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Uh, no.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21it's like choosing between the first girl you boned and the first that gave you head b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Uh, no. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Um, yes to me...Stacy Brown and Christina Rodriguez hold very dear places in my heart. As do MM and LET.

• Here's my two cents:b, 21b, 21IMO LET IBAT MM FTSFT LET IAATI DD TM TC. TC IUT SDD! MM IMD A GOAT BSI LET. IDK, AAO.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    Where does LL Cool J's "Hey Lover" 12" rank in all this?

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    LETb, 21"Back in the days when I was a teenager ..."

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21low end theory b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21definetly!b, 21b, 21b, 21 but nothing can beat the first time I heard Buggin' Out on Low End, never mind Scenario - my face plain melted off. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21MIDNIGHT MARAUDERS b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headz.gif" alt="" /1b, 21b, 21Just for the trend it started...A few people people tried to sound like 'em after LET. But After MM, it was crazy. Beatmakers used to jack drumkits and was looking for jazz-funk samples like it didn't exist before. Each track was img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oj.gif" alt="" /1 whereas LET had some fillers, i may argue.

font class="post"1b, 21b, 21MIDNIGHT MARAUDERS b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headz.gif" alt="" /1b, 21b, 21Just for the trend it started...A few people people tried to sound like 'em after LET. But After MM, it was crazy. Beatmakers used to jack drumkits and was looking for jazz-funk samples like it didn't exist before. Each track was img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oj.gif" alt="" /1 whereas LET had some fillers, i may argue. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21Weve Got The Jazz was part of the O.G. Jazz trend. By MM the doors were already blown open, if not closing on that.b, 21b, 21Runaway Slave - Showbiz & A.G. was '92 and was jazzed out.b, 21b, 21b, 21By 1994 u hadb, 21b, 21Ready 2 Die,Illmatic,SouthernPlayalistc...,Creepin On A Come Up,Dare Iz A Darkside,Somethin Serious, Tical,Hard To Earn,The Diary,We Come Strapped,The Sun Rises in The East,The Mailman,....b, 21b, 21Shit got hard......unless you'd useb, 21b, 21Common - Ressurectionb, 21O.K. - Stressb, 21The Beatnuts - The Beatnutsb, 21The Roots - Do You Want More?? b, 21Kurious - Constipated Monkeysb, 21b, 21as examples of "jazz-funk samples like it didn't exist before"

Dude, next time i will underline the keywords so you don't get it confused.b, 21I said "like it didn't exist before", not "because it didn't exist before". After the release of all the LP you named, beatmakers did not try to sound like Show, Juju, No ID or Buckwild. Simply because it was too hard to reproduce. The layered drums, the diggin skills it required, the science behind mixing various sampled sources was way too COMPLICATED for people to try it at home...What I meant is that Midnight Marauders made jazz-funk sampling ACCESSIBLE. Plethora of beatmakers switched their style after MM. They renewed their drumkits, gave up with Pot Belly, and started to emulate Shaheed signature. Same goes with Jay Dee. You can't deny that.b, 21Beside, I totally agree about Show&AG. It was jazzed-out. But nobody can touch this LP, beatwise, whereas MM gave birth to many wanabees...IMO.

• I'll probably echo what others have already said. b, 21b, 21As a whole album and straight through listen, MM takes it. not really any weak links or real fillers.b, 21b, 21But as for specific songs or singles, and the vibe i liked most, I give it to LET. some definite filler on LET.

Quote:h, 21b, 21Dude, next time i will underline the keywords so you don't get it confused.b, 21I said "like it didn't exist before", not "because it didn't exist before". After the release of all the LP you named, beatmakers did not try to sound like Show, Juju, No ID or Buckwild. Simply because it was too hard to reproduce. The layered drums, the diggin skills it required, the science behind mixing various sampled sources was way too COMPLICATED for people to try it at home...What I meant is that Midnight Marauders made jazz-funk sampling ACCESSIBLE. Plethora of beatmakers switched their style after MM. They renewed their drumkits, gave up with Pot Belly, and started to emulate Shaheed signature. Same goes with Jay Dee. You can't deny that.b, 21Beside, I totally agree about Show&AG. It was jazzed-out. But nobody can touch this LP, beatwise, whereas MM gave birth to many wanabees...IMO. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21This is an interesting argument. So who would have fallen into the "plethora of beatmakers [who] switched their style after MM" but not after "LET"? I think Batmon's point was that this trend was well under way BEFORE MM. MM was - arguably - the zenith of that movement, but to me, something like "Stunts, Blunts and Hip-Hop" + "LET" were more influential in kickstarting that aesthetic movement. b, 21b, 21Since we're on this general question, which other artists have had such incredible 2nd and 3rd albums? (Five more pages!)

• Quote:h, 21b, 21b, 21Since we're on this general question, which other artists have had such incredible 2nd and 3rd albums? (Five more pages!) b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21i'm having a hard time thinking of others.. way too many artists had good debuts and then stunk up the earth with their 2nd and 3rd.

Quote:h, 21b, 21 this trend was well under way BEFORE MM. MM was - arguably - the zenith of that movement b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21Voil??. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" /1b, 21b, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21b, 21Since we're on this general question, which other artists have had such incredible 2nd and 3rd albums? (Five more pages!) b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21i'm having a hard time thinking of others.. way too many artists had good debuts and then stunk up the earth with their 2nd and 3rd. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21The third...that's the problem. The third LP is often img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/suspect5es.gif" alt="" /1, for whatever reason. Peeps like Redman or EPMD had a solid debut, a good follow-up and a nice third, IMO.

Quote:h, 21b, 21 MM gave birth to many wanabees...IMO. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Examples of Wanabees pleeze.

Quote:h, 21b, 21MM takes it. not really any weak links or real fillers.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21WE CAN GET DOWN = img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pasue23is.gif" alt="" /1

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I can't choose one over the other, but "Low End Theory" was probably more of a facemelter for me, whereas Midnight Mauraders didn't take me by surprise the same way. "Holy shit!" vs. "Yeah, they did it again".b, 21b, 21What are the filler tracks that people aren't feeling on LET?b, 21I'm guessing it's the short skit-ish tracks like Rap Promoter. I like those too.b, 21I actually bought it on CD first because I was avoiding rap LPs and strictly buying 12"s at the time.b, 21Crap quality single vinyl, no thank you.b, 21And the CD had Sky Pager and Vibes And Stuff (which I thought was great) as img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bonus.gif" alt="" /1 tracks. b, 21Then when the 2LP reissue came out I bought that and luckily they had included those tracks too.b, 21b, 21Speaking of that, it's funny how people were whining about short tracks and weird song structures in the Q-Tip thread. Man, Quest always did that. Shouldn't really come as a surprise. That's one of the things I always liked about them. It was almost never the usual "verse-chorus-verse-chorus-scratch intermission-verse-chorus-chorus" routine with them. They'd play around with it a lot more.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Of course, both records are classics. Slight edge to MM. The rhymes on ther are just incredible. I mean Q's verse on We Can Get Down is img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/game.gif" alt="" /1

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Since we're on this general question, which other artists have had such incredible 2nd and 3rd albums? (Five more pages!) b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21The only one I can think of immediately is Gangstarr. Who else?

Quote:h, 21b, 21 Q's verse on We Can Get Down is img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/game.gif" alt="" /1 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21Q-tip:b, 21b, 21Im the cherry on the top of yo ice creamb, 21Im the wish you thought inside your dreamb, 21Listen to the way we pulsate the jamb, 21Im the nigga here with the mic in handb, 21Styles that we present are just a fewb, 21To do away with you and your hum drum crewb, 21This is 93 and the shit is realb, 21Black people unite and put down your steelb, 21Ladies make a forum on your sexual driveb, 21Devoted to your lover and make it thriveb, 21The riff was of f, Im a hip hop bodyb, 21Release the energy like the force of a shottyb, 21Standin on the wall with my polo onb, 21Talkin to the girl with the liz claiborneb, 21Keep the poetry in my black knapsackb, 21Got my timbo horse and my doublemint packb, 21Hit the city streets to enhance my soulb, 21I can kick a rhyme over ill drum rollsb, 21With a kick, snare, kicks and high hatb, 21Skilled in the trade of that old boom bapb, 21I can do a trick with the opposite breedb, 21I used to down 40s and smoke grain weedb, 21Now, Im doin shows with half loot downb, 21Now its time for me to take ya uptownb, 21b, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b, 21b, 21This what you'd call a Gameover verse from Q-Tip?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    MM influenced more tshirts during our latest retro- golden-age(s) super-levelized smashup periodb, 21b, 21no i've never heard it but it matches my sneakers

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21 Q's verse on We Can Get Down is img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/game.gif" alt="" /1 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21Q-tip:b, 21b, 21Im the cherry on the top of yo ice creamb, 21Im the wish you thought inside your dreamb, 21Listen to the way we pulsate the jamb, 21Im the nigga here with the mic in handb, 21Styles that we present are just a fewb, 21To do away with you and your hum drum crewb, 21This is 93 and the shit is realb, 21Black people unite and put down your steelb, 21Ladies make a forum on your sexual driveb, 21Devoted to your lover and make it thriveb, 21The riff was of f, Im a hip hop bodyb, 21Release the energy like the force of a shottyb, 21Standin on the wall with my polo onb, 21Talkin to the girl with the liz claiborneb, 21Keep the poetry in my black knapsackb, 21Got my timbo horse and my doublemint packb, 21Hit the city streets to enhance my soulb, 21I can kick a rhyme over ill drum rollsb, 21With a kick, snare, kicks and high hatb, 21Skilled in the trade of that old boom bapb, 21I can do a trick with the opposite breedb, 21I used to down 40s and smoke grain weedb, 21Now, Im doin shows with half loot downb, 21Now its time for me to take ya uptownb, 21b, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b, 21b, 21This what you'd call a Gameover verse from Q-Tip? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21yes.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21 It's the same reason I'd take "De La Soul Is Dead" over "Buhloone Mindstate" even if the latter, arguably, is more sophisticated...DLSID was just an amazing leap forward by the group. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21cause they used more samples? i dont think they ever topped 3 feet high or even came close for that matter...and i'm a huge fan. they took risks on De La is Dead and Buhloone, but i wouldnt want to listen to either album all the way through. Stakes is High was less critically acclaimed but is pretty solid throughout...even ten years later. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I personally think Stakes is High is a better album. The commentary was so good for the gangster era.

Quote:h, 21b, 21b, 21I personally think Stakes is High is a better album. The commentary was so good for the gangster era. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21 clever creativity? b, 21b, 21img height=100 src=http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/NO.gif1

• Quote:h, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21b, 21I personally think Stakes is High is a better album. The commentary was so good for the gangster era. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21 clever creativity? b, 21b, 21img height=100 src=http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/NO.gif1 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21PE was preachy too...

font class="post"1b, 21 clever creativity? b, 21b, 21img height=100 src=http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/NO.gif1 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21PE was preachy too... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Which PE albums are you talking about though? b, 21>> "Stakes Is High."