producerstrut: anyone want to play a little game?

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
I usually don't do these, cause of the amount of toy ass producers that do them, but want to have a "Beat Battle"? Like we all will use the same sample and flip it our own way. Most of you dudes on here got some production chops so I think it would be pretty cool to hear all the different interpretations of the same loop. Let me know if you guys are interested and ill post like a 30 sec sample for you to dissect. we should set a deadline like say tues or something.

Comments

• I'll participate.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    i already won the last contest with Whipped Cream...I would fight to keep my title and defeat the enemy in the purest rawest hip-hop tradition, using uknown tactics to win that battle. Who decide what to sample..?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    i already won the last contest with Whipped Cream...I would fight to keep my title and defeat the enemy in the purest rawest hip-hop tradition, using uknown tactics to win that battle. Who decide what to sample..?

Ya sure about that, big guy? I know this dude from the Midwest who dropped a heater from that LP too.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    how bout i pick the sample. I do it up right now.

http://download.yousendit.com/72318ABD5E89F165
    Alright heres the deal. I put a 24 bit 48k wav and a 16 bit 44.1k wav (for you mpc mo fuckas) of the same sample. Have them in my lets say tues night? Basically just use whatever else you want (synths, samples, instrumentation) but still us a good portion of the joint i provided. And if you want to make it interesting, give some details about how you flipped it when you post it up. Sound good? Lets get this shit started.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey LowEnd,

I can't get the download to play. What is the song and LP containing the sample? Then, I can sample it up from the wax. Another thing, I hope, is that the music isn't obviously appealing (making it easy to pick a sample) to up the degree of difficulty (like the "Whipped Cream" LP).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

ehh it is a pretty dope sample.
    i just wanted to see how cats would take a heater and take it to the next level. I dunno if its like a contest to see who has the best beat, just more of a demonstration of how you get down. But we can do it however you want. The record though is Who Are You by Soul Liberation, and the track is touch me again. If you don't want to use it though let me know and someone can pick something harder. Here is the sample though stax. it should play for you like this.
    http://download.yousendit.com/A4FD72BC76DE30D9

• ehh it is a pretty dope sample.
    i just wanted to see how cats would take a heater and take it to the next level.

does that mean you'll be putting one down as well?

i'm D, but doubt i can make the deadline cause of work, so i'll be late.

no doubt, ill be making a beat also. What would be a better deadline time for you? Any other feedback lets hear it.

• i can usually bang out a beat in a day, just this particular week is work, studio, work, studio almost every day. if i get downtime i'll try and do something preliminary. realistically, it will probably be friday till it's mixed.

but don't hold up on my account. this should be a regular thing though.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    i already won the last contest with Whipped Cream...
    I now think I'm too old for that kinda game but I'll try again, we'll see.

• i can usually bang out a beat in a day, just this particular week is work, studio, work, studio almost every day. if i get downtime i'll try and do something preliminary. realistically, it will probably be friday till it's mixed.

but don't hold up on my account. this should be a regular thing though.

It's a shame because I don't have much time this week either but it would be cool to have it be a regular thing.

[email]LOL@Bapt...[/email]

hey i hope nobody tought i was a pretentious prick with my first reply...i was just being competitive.LOL. And it would have been a problem if i didnt win, but i won. So Lord forgive me. I'm gonna load that new sample in my laptop and use a software instead of the good old MPC. And i'm still gonna win. I should be done in two days...

peace

are we still doin it??? i've loaded the sample, i'm ready to go, but i dont wanna be the only fool posting some schit in this thread.

Let's do it the old way, no acapella or nothing, just the raw beat.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

are we still doin it??? i've loaded the sample, i'm ready to go, but i dont wanna be the only fool posting some schit in this thread.

Let's do it the old way, no acapella or nothing, just the raw beat.

I'm down if you are but we'll need more entries.

• i'm down. props to the lowend for taking the initiative. entry deadline...sunday?

ok we're 3...the hard way.
    let's do it. I'll post tomorrow.
    peace

• RustyBRustyB 223 Posts
    Ill bust something up this weekend

yeah im still down. I didnt see many replies to it so i thought it was deaded. but yeah i can have it in by sunday night. Sound good?

ok post on Sunday for everyone. LEt's do it. Oh and i'd like to know what i'm flippin. My pre-Modern-Soul skillz are terrible.

• Oh and i'd like to know what i'm flippin. My pre-Modern-Soul skillz are terrible.

Who Are You by Soul Liberation...

I'm in too, if i can find a good way to flip it, the sample is too sparse for what i normally go with...

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Yeah, this is not the kind of song I sample but I'll try to make a beat with this.

• Aiight. count me in. this sounds nice. one certified banger coming up...

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I would be very tempted to make a dance track out of this sample. Should be interesting to see it flipped hip-hop style though.

style don't matter...Just let's not enhance the tracks by adding vocals. I like to peep raw skillz.

everyone cool with using other records/samples to supplement it?

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    everyone cool with using other records/samples to supplement it?

Doesn't this take away from the point of the contest?

i might try to get one made too...

i wouldnt think so if you still had the integrity of the og sample. How about synths or live instrumentation too? Im just asking to make sure.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

So what are the rules?

We only use this sample to make a beat, no extra samples, no drums...?

I'm cool with any rules, just be clear.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

So what are the rules?

We only use this sample to make a beat, no extra samples, no drums...?

I'm cool with any rules, just be clear.

yea as long as we are clear on the guidelines I am cool with whatever. i guess live synth/bass stuff would make sense... but that is similar to using another sample too.... oh and drums can obviously be used.. you have to!