Prince's Studio

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
http://www.paisleyparkstudios.com/ppvr/PPVR.htmlgod damn. that shit is pretty cool. Click on the pic to see a 360o view.

Comments

• Cot Damn!!!

• cot damn indeed. thanks for this!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    The only thing missing is a DJ set-up with 45 expedits to hold his presumably large record collection.

• holy shit, check out the game room. i wanna play prince in some ping pong

• ridiculous....wow....

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    the interior design kinda makes me wanna throw up though. reminds me of my tacky aunt aka im

foreel though, anybody here kevin smith's take on prince? How many virgin sacrifices do you think happen in the studio D lounge?

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    dudes got his own salon. haha. i like that one production room with the cosmic paintings on the wall. that shit looks real cool.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Back when I lived in Minneapolis, a guy I knew was an on-call engineer for Prince. He had a beeper and would often have to go in the middle of the night and do whatever Prince's 1st tier engineer needed him to do. One time he had to go in and just seperate the strings from the original tracks of 'Purple Rain', Prince wanted to do some remix shit with 'em.

the funny thing was, since he was like the engineer's engineer, he rarely(if ever) was even in the studio when Prince was there....evidently Prince likes to most of his stuff in private.

• snosno 332 Posts
    the interior design kinda makes me wanna throw up though. reminds me of my tacky aunt aka im

foreel though, anybody here kevin smith's take on prince? How many virgin sacrifices do you think happen in the studio D lounge?

Virgin sacrifices? I'm looking more like, "where the camels at???"
    Have you check out the new "Evening with..." DVD? There's a funny postscript about Prince being not too happy about his story at Paisley Park.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    sick

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

Have you check out the new "Evening with..." DVD?

um...yea dude. kevin smith goes on about how fanatical prince is about christianity.

• the SSL he's got in there costs more money than i'll ever see in my life, but i'm kinda partial to that API setup he's got in studio "B." have you peeped the outboard gear?! he's got so many goddamned preamps! but it's nice to see he's still running everything to 2" before dumping into pro-tools.

anyone see him live at the garden? he had all of madison square in the palm of his hand....

• The only thing missing is a DJ set-up with 45 expedits to hold his presumably large record collection.

That and his even larger blouse collection.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Where's the basketball court? Did miss it?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    The only thing missing is a DJ set-up with 45 expedits to hold his presumably large record collection.

That and his even larger blouse collection.

Prince is on his shit, for real. I hear stories about a lot of artists who really couldn't care less about recording quality, mixing, mastering, etc. but it really shines through in Prince's music, because he's got a very unique sound on every one of his records. Dude was using the Linndrum (first drum machine using sampled sounds) waaaaay back in the day before others were up on it (Roger Linn went on to develop the MPC60).

Jealous of the studio. Could fit an orchestra in some of those rooms.

• Hey Prince is a great artist but that studio looks like so cheesy I could barf a terd. I mean really, what is with the decor of that place? Dude needs to get some grown man taste and forget the theme park BS. Neverland ranch ass shit. Weaksauce.

• Hey Prince is a great artist but that studio looks like so cheesy I could barf a terd. I mean really, what is with the decor of that place? Dude needs to get some grown man taste and forget the theme park BS. Neverland ranch ass shit. Weaksauce.

well, let's keep in mind he still wears velour suits and hi heeled boots on stage, so maybe home decor isn't the first place he should start.

• the SSL he's got in there costs more money than i'll ever see in my life, but i'm kinda partial to that API setup he's got in studio "B." have you peeped the outboard gear?! he's got so many goddamned preamps! but it's nice to see he's still running everything to 2" before dumping into pro-tools.

anyone see him live at the garden? he had all of madison square in the palm of his hand....

i've got a friend here in town who used to mix for prince there (you should see his resume)
    and he wired a studio here in town with an ssl desk, mad crazy outboard stuff, all that for days,
    all to 2"

man he's got crazy stories. prince in the midle of the night, bathrooms wired like vocal booths,
    mixing a-ha, moris day, george clinton. mad cats rent that space out. my buddy is humble as hell
    too and lost his job on some prince is crazy type steeze, but i could pick his brain for years. . .

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Now I realize why Prince hasn't put out a great record since the 80s. He has been too goddam busy picking out inlaid flooring and checking carpet samples.

The art dept room gave me a great idea for my dining room. I am going paint words like "fine dining" and "delicious" on the walls.

• Now I realize why Prince hasn't put out a great record since the 80s.

I thought 3121 (his most recent album) was pretty good

• Now I realize why Prince hasn't put out a great record since the 80s.

*strolling/scrolling through the studio* Where's the Linndrum?

• Where's the basketball court? Did miss it?

b/w "Is that Carlos Boozer's basement?"

• alright, somebody had to do it:

this just never stops being funny...

"shoot the J, SHOOT IT!"

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Now I realize why Prince hasn't put out a great record since the 80s.

Not sure how I feel towards Prince. However I will be going to his new club called 3121 here in Vegas tonight to see Esthero. Should be illy.

- spidey

• The only thing missing is a DJ set-up with 45 expedits to hold his presumably large record collection.

take a closer look at the carpet in the game room - dude has a carpet of a hand scratching a record. the needle is his logo.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    wow, that was tacky

• i saw him perform in st paul on my birthday 2 1/2 years ago and i believe our birthdays are close together. he had an afterparty at the studio that i wish i'd gone to. i've heard mad stories about his parties since i moved to the twins. i guess he had these parties where the joint would be packed just by word of mouth. all that was known was that there was a party at paizley park and when you showed up you might see eric clapton play or prince spinning records or any number of amazing things. i never got to go to one and prince sold that studio a year or so ago, so its not his any more and the parties are history. dude's in vegas now on some robert goulet (sp?) shit.

p.s. my ex used to date prince in the 80's and she says that he really does dress like that 24/7 - even just lounging around the house. game, blouses.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    how fanatical prince is about christianity.

I read an article about how he and Larry Graham unlock Biblical secrets to the "Fountain Of Youth"!!!!!!!!

• i worked at paisley park for 3 days in '87 i think. we were recording Aswad for a movie. he had two rooms for tracking with a small rehearsal room in between. in the small rehearsal room Steve Miller was getting his group ready for a tour. so, every time i walked out of the studio they'd be playing "the joker", "jet airliner", "take the money and run" or one of those radio type joints. also met Ben Sidran and he was a real cool jazz type head. Bobby and Jimmy Z worked on the Aswad session and had tons of stories about their boss. one thing Prince would do that would cost him band members: play one song for an entire day while rehearsing for a tour. most cats would break it up after a while and come back to it later. but, he was militant. you played that shit for hours and hours. and if he heard something he didn't like, he stopped the tune on the spot, straighten it out and start over again. this might go on for eight hours.

well, let's keep in mind he still wears velour suits and hi heeled boots on stage, so maybe home decor isn't the first place he should start.

without any of that he would not be prince, now would he ?

one of my homies is real tight with some of the right people, he went to princes crib for a party, watched him jam...doing james brown covers and what not.
    cats can say what they want...prince is the man. never scared.dude has reinvented his sound a million times over, and that is only what we have actually heard.imagine all the tracks we havent.