WHO'S A GENIUS IN HIP-HOP?

Comments

• Regardless of who wrote it, Eazy was a good rapper.

NOOOOO. Dude, everyone that I've read who was in the studio in those days said sude STRUGGLED on the mic. He had extreme difficulty with very simple lyrics. Dude was not a rapper. Plus, despite that he bit the blowed, he was never close to their level. I mean, you ever hear him rap doubletime?

• how about:

the roc? genius?

dude managed to stay current and up date and was able to sell albums consistently (or pretty consistently) for over a decade. genius?

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Regardless of who wrote it, Eazy was a good rapper.

NOOOOO. Dude, everyone that I've read who was in the studio in those days said sude STRUGGLED on the mic. He had extreme difficulty with very simple lyrics. Dude was not a rapper. Plus, despite that he bit the blowed, he was never close to their level. I mean, you ever hear him rap doubletime?
    I donno that I think his rapping is GENIUS LEVEL obviously but I find his amateurishness appealling because he sounds more REAL. Even if he didn't write his own shit, when yr listening to him, it sounds like you can actually hear him feeling what he's saying. I don't listen to rap (just) to be like "he is good at the ART OF RAPPING" I listen to it because I like the music and I like lots of Eazy E songs and I like his rapping on them regardless of whether he meets your SKILLZ qualifications

Also, he discovered bone thugs.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

dude managed to stay current and up date and was able to sell albums consistently (or pretty consistently) for over a decade. genius?

Dude that can be applied to a gang of cats still in the game. I like LL but I wouldnt call him genius.
    His longevity his is the measuring stick of the game but that's is that.

• dude we all know he bit bone thugs' style from the blowed.

• Keith is a troubled genius whose work actually tells us something about society, and reflects the listener's biases and memes back at them.

Storch is a knob twister in the most square and low-road tradition. He makes predictable hits, I love Don't Say Nothin and a bunch of his smackdowns, but they are not illuminated by anything more than basic graph-paper theories.

• this thread is just getting hilarious now.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I want to know why anyone would call Storch a 'genius.'

Tons of dudes have made hits. Some have even made GOOD hits. Storch's track record is suspect at best.

• whoa. beat me.

Are De La genius?

I love them- but i'm not sure...

Keith is a troubled genius whose work actually tells us something about society, and reflects the listener's biases and memes back at them.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Ice Cube.
    Public Enemy.
    DJ Shadow.
    Marley Marl.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    YES

ehh...he's great sure

Are De La genius?I love them- but i'm not sure...

No.

• Keith is a troubled genius whose work actually tells us something about society

...which is what exactly?

• Public Enemy.

If these records aren't genius - I dont know what is???

• dude managed to stay current and up date and was able to sell albums consistently (or pretty consistently) for over a decade. genius?

Dude that can be applied to a gang of cats still in the game. I like LL but I wouldnt call him genius.

But LL has not had albums with hit singles consistently since his inception into rap. Busta has. Busta's sense of relevance in hip hop is what has kept him afloat, and that's not something any rapping idiot can pull off, especially with how much the music has changed since "Woo Ha". Id say he can be considered a genius based on the level of his success and his approach to reaching that level.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Keith is a troubled genius whose work actually tells us something about society

...which is what exactly?

That anal probes and Chewbacca are legitimate sources of nutrients.

My homie never liked the term "genius". He think it isolates an artist w/out factoring in his band mates/record label/social&musical landscapes/etc.

No man is an island.

Whatever.....carry on w/ the Mind Garden picks.

• Public Enemy.

If these records aren't genius - I dont know what is???

I'd say Chuck D more specifically. Flava Flav is definitely not a genius.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    My homie never liked the term "genius". He think it isolates an artist w/out factoring in his band mates/record label/social&musical landscapes/etc.

No man is an island.

pragmatism has no place in hip-hop message board debates

• My homie never liked the term "genius". He think it isolates an artist w/out factoring in his band mates/record label/social&musical landscapes/etc.

No man is an island.

so true though.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    this thread is

But LL has not had albums with hit singles consistently since his inception into rap.

I'm not lobbying for LL, but what does hit single consistency hasve to do w/ GENIUS?
    Dude your still bammbozelled by Billboard? Yes he's had some Incredibles hit singles but so has alot of dudes. He has more hit singles than Rakim,but..........

• this thread is

ha, calling a thread like this suspect without providing any input is

i'm bored as hell and this is passing the time nicely. please continue.

• dude managed to stay current and up date and was able to sell albums consistently (or pretty consistently) for over a decade. genius?

But LL has not had albums with hit singles consistently since his inception into rap.

I'm not lobbying for LL, but what does hit single consistency hasve to do w/ GENIUS?
    Dude your still bammbozelled by Billboard? Yes he's had some Incredibles hit singles but so has alot of dudes. He has more hit singles than Rakim,but..........

I'm just saying, it takes more than luck and hot beats to have chart topping singles for 10 years straight. Please name a few artists who have reached this mark that you would not consider genius...

Flava Flav is definitely not a genius.

The Yang to Chuck D's Yin. Take Flav's vocals away from P.E.'s albums and shit changes dramatically.