YOU FUCKING ROBOTS

noznoz 3,625 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central

Comments

• Would it be cool to make a mixtape with, like, rips of actual records?

• VOTE YES ON PROP 86!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I cut up with strictly Mini Discs!

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    TAKEN FROM SPINEMAGAZINE --

"The Fader point out that DJ Premier's new mixtape which mocks CD-reliant DJs is made up with music so current it's not been pressed on vinyl yet, and therefore presumably compiled using, um, CDs. We just can't believe he didn't go the whole nine yards and release the mixtape on cassette. Keep it real!"

hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha

peace.

• i still don't understand what using records have to do with talent... i was talented for like 10 years, but now i'm not?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The Primo Intro:

U MAD?

• The Primo Intro:

U MAD?

Dude could not sound more old and bitter. Mad respect for his beats. No respect for his current thoughts on djs and playing music.

• The Primo Intro:

U MAD?

Dude could not sound more old and bitter. Mad respect for his beats. No respect for his current thoughts on djs and playing music.

I give primo props for this stance and I really hope the fader is wrong about him using records so new they had to be ripped. If anyone can pull it off - he can.

And you all have to admit- there's exceptions- but there's a lot of wack-ass dj's out now playing jukebox. I know there's people doing amazing things with Microwave and CDj's - but I have a feeling they learned on technics to begin with. Just a hunch.

The Primo Intro:

U MAD?

I give primo props for this stance and I really hope the fader is wrong about him using records so new they had to be ripped. If anyone can pull it off - he can.

And you all have to admit- there's exceptions- but there's a lot of wack-ass dj's out now playing jukebox. I know there's people doing amazing things with Microwave and CDj's - but I have a feeling they learned on technics to begin with. Just a hunch.

If you look over the tracklisting of the CD, it's possible that he may have had white labels on the new stuff but stuff like Mick Boogie's remix of Jay-Z's "Stop" (named something else here) sounds like some CD-only shit.

But this is besides the point. If Primo went and had acetates made up of stuff just so he could spin "real records" that's really just being more stubborn then using some CDJs or Dildo to basically do the same thing, except acetates just cost a lot more.

Bottomline: IT'S NOT THE MEDIUM. IT'S WHAT YOU DO WITH IT.

• Bottomline: IT'S NOT THE MEDIUM. IT'S WHAT YOU DO WITH IT.

http://savethealbum.com/

• The Primo Intro:

U MAD?

And you all have to admit- there's exceptions- but there's a lot of wack-ass dj's out now playing jukebox. I know there's people doing amazing things with Microwave and CDj's - but I have a feeling they learned on technics to begin with. Just a hunch.[/b]

Oh, no doubt. But I think that he comes off as a man that simply doesn't want to get up to speed with technology. He sounds afraid. He, unlike a lot of djs who were great with records, doesn't want to advance to that of possibilities that arise from Microwave or similar systems. And that in itself is fine. Everyone at some point becomes comfortable with their craft or niche or whatever, and works within that rather than trying to keep progressing technically. But because he doesn't give the slightest bit of credibility to those who are doing great things with new technologies, he sounds like an anachronistic fool who is in denial.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Call it sheer coincidence if you will, but I don't recall back when everyone was using records-only the tendency for so-called hip-hop deejays to be so quick to herald pure pop bullschitt as that real schitt.

In other words, you open yourself up to play any given mp3 in the universe and look what the fuck happens.

• Its called publicity stunt... and its obviously working as I doubt that his Mix CD, if it had another title, would get this much little dudeness griping about it...

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Is it me or does it seem like the folks that are angsty about Premo's general approach are being a little too sensitive? It's obvious that he's more disturbed by Whoo Kid & Co. than any of the lesser-known DJs that use Microwave at all their functions and post on here.

I bet he wouldn't say shit to Jazzy Jeff or Kid Capri, who ... let's face it ... ain't hauling wax around much anymore.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

i want to punch that devantra dude in the face and then take his veloso records.

• The funny thing is, is that Primo is on record as saying he uses microwave. He spoke about it in Scratch mag, and the quote went something like

"...it's great as long as you've earnt it. Do you own 2,000 records? Well then you've earnt the right to use something different..."

Or some such bollox. It's just a publicity stunt. I don't really care who, what, how or when something was mixed, as long as it sounds good.

• i want to punch that devantra dude in the face and then take his veloso records.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Its cool to see someone supporting the medium of vinyl. Don't know why he's so mad at the cd/mp3 people, tho. Its not like they're costing him gigs. Also, its strange that people are wondering where he's getting new tracks on wax. He's a big time producer. There could be promos of stuff that no one here has yet copped. If he did an acetate, that's pretty raw.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    The funny thing is, is that Primo is on record as saying he uses microwave.

Primo doesn't use Microwave. Cosmo and I both DJed with him a bunch of times this summer and he spins all records.

Call it sheer coincidence if you will, but I don't recall back when everyone was using records-only the tendency for so-called hip-hop deejays to be so quick to herald pure pop bullschitt as that real schitt.

In other words, you open yourself up to play any given mp3 in the universe and look what the fuck happens.

Primo produced a good portion of Christina Aguilera's new album and the Fat Beats djs were nutting all over it. Hip-Hop and pop music are inseperable now.

Hip-Hop and pop music are inseperable now.

Hell to the naw.

Y'all must live in Candyland.

• Hip-Hop and pop music are inseperable now.

Hell to the naw.

Hip-Hop and pop music are inseperable now.

Hell to the naw.

Or:
    http://www.vibe.com/music/video/2005/12/16/beyonce_check_on_it/

Like I said...Candyland, where obvious pop crossover attempts are cited as the real schitt.

Y'all want to cite Chamillionaire, go ahead and first talk about how Get Ya Mind Correct is a certified classic, or at least friggin listen to it for the first time, before you start throwing his name around as some excuse for your soft batchedness.

Slim Thug too...because I know, Oliver, that you know all of the lyrics to Getchya Hands Up by heart, right? And be honest if on the other hand you don't even know what song I'm talking about.

Like I said...Candyland, where obvious pop crossover attempts are cited as the real schitt.

Y'all want to cite Chamillionaire, go ahead and first talk about how Get Ya Mind Correct is a certified classic, or at least friggin listen to it for the first time, before you start throwing his name around as some excuse for your soft batchedness.

Slim Thug too...because I know, Oliver, that you know all of the lyrics to Getchya Hands Up by heart, right? And be honest if on the other hand you don't even know what song I'm talking about.

Oh, I'm sorry, are we back to Robert's Rules of Rap Order???? I didn't have a chance to peruse my notes on that yet.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Harvey,
    You are the post-2000-KRS-1 of Soulstrut.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Hahaha try and call O-Dub out on that because you know you can't say shit to me about it! Face it, you're living in a private mind cave. Way to completely ignore my argument that DJ Premier, the king of real schitt and the person who this thread is about (it's not about Texas rap), produces Christina Aguilera, thus blurring any remaining line between Candyland and Real Schitt.

Hahaha try and call O-Dub out on that because you know you can't say shit to me about it! Face it, you're living in a private mind cave. Way to completely ignore that DJ Premier, the king of real schitt and the person who this thread is about (it's not about Texas rap), produces Christina Aguilera.

Totally random but hey, I just saw that you got profiled in the new Oxford American music issue.

http://www.oxfordamericanmag.com/content.cfm?ArticleID=82&Entry=CurrentIssue

PROPS!

As for the Primo/Xtina thing: Personally, I don't this is indicative of Primo being all less Real Schitt or not. Personally, I'm glad dude is making some change and his production for her - while not reminiscent of, say , Group Home era greatness - was still likable.

In any case, as I've suggested in the past, the issue isn't whether hip-hop crossed into pop. Pop crossed into hip-hop. So the fact that rappers like Slim Thug or Bun B or Cham record with Beyonce or Ciara - and moreover, sell to millions of people far beyond TX borders reflects the fact that the pop marketplace wants to be down with hip-hop rather than the idea that Real Schitt Rappers are selling out to be down with the pop crowd. Sure, there's compromise on both parts, but for the most part, rappers with the Real Schitt cred AND who can sell records will be sought out by pop/R&B stars. I doubt Cham had to sidle up to Ciara, hat in hand.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Hahaha try and call O-Dub out on that because you know you can't say shit to me about it! Face it, you're living in a private mind cave. Way to completely ignore that DJ Premier, the king of real schitt and the person who this thread is about (it's not about Texas rap), produces Christina Aguilera.

Totally random but hey, I just saw that you got profiled in the new Oxford American music issue.

http://www.oxfordamericanmag.com/content.cfm?ArticleID=82&Entry=CurrentIssue

PROPS!

For a second I thought you were saying that Arsheid had been profiled in the new Oxford American music issue--which definitely would have made my cipher complete.