Classic RAP ALBUMS? (98-06)

1235»

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    god that track is so hard
    that beat is like some subtle monster shit

• I agree with everything you say, i can't come up with a f'n list from 98'-06,
    1. Aquemini - OUTKAST

I agree with you on this. Maybe I expect more to call an album a classic. I have seen a lot of good albums listed but nothing that I could speak in the same breath as something like Ready to Die, Low End Theory, 36 Chambers, etc...

It kind of depresses me on the state of hip hop to see some of the albums on this thread listed as "classics". Most of them are good albums, but far from classic.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

let go of the past 'cause it's hurtin' your hands

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    anybody typing that much can't do damage
    catch you in the south bitch i'll break yo fingas

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

put all yo shit on one side of the store, put country rap on the other

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Would it be too cliche to write "trill" here?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Would it be too cliche to write "trill" here?

I would actually consider trill to be very near classic. But i am fully aware that this is mostly in my mindgarden.

I am glad we are now all in agreement that thug motivation 101 is most definitely a classic album.

Also dont sleep on ninjafish,

• young youth

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i was still in the industry in 98/00. i hardly remember the records i was working. i have all those records still sitting on shelves or in boxes but i cant remember any lines from the records, the singles that came off of it, or even who was working the product at the time. i can do that for music pre 97 though. as can most of my friends. all my folks who are post 30 dont listen to todays rap music. not really. were still all reciting lines from biggie, o.k. and tribe songs.

just saying... i like some of todays rap music but i only go out maybe once a month to buy a couple of cds as oppossed to going to the store throughout the week to buy new records that i heard on the radio or from friends.

rap music just isnt the same to me anymore.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    I think rap scientists/ staticians of the future will note that the when Rap/ Hip Hop entered its corporate phase (around '98 to present) it became a singles game/ singles market.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

I got a bread truck, get up off that crumb shit.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I think rap scientists/ staticians of the future will note that the when Rap/ Hip Hop entered its corporate phase (around '98 to present) it became a singles game/ singles market.
    'entered its corporate phase'

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    'entered its corporate phase'

Rap has been a singles game for most of its history; that brief window where it was album oriented is a historical anomaly.

We certainly do have a lot of rockists on this board.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    i was still in the industry in 98/00. i hardly remember the records i was working. i have all those records still sitting on shelves or in boxes but i cant remember any lines from the records, the singles that came off of it, or even who was working the product at the time. i can do that for music pre 97 though. as can most of my friends. all my folks who are post 30 dont listen to todays rap music. not really. were still all reciting lines from biggie, o.k. and tribe songs.

just saying... i like some of todays rap music but i only go out maybe once a month to buy a couple of cds as oppossed to going to the store throughout the week to buy new records that i heard on the radio or from friends.

Or maybe you're just too old.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    as determined by the title, this thread made it...

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

Or maybe you're just too old.
    which is GREAT! im glad im too old to be a fan of the rap music today. i dont want my rap heroes to be ludacris TI and 50cent. im extremely glad that i got to grow with DSt, kurtis, and rundmc. kool g rap, rakim, and the jbs. ditc and the native tongues. jlive, utd, and the rest of the indies from ny, chicago, seattle, houston etc in the 90s.

its good to be old.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    as determined by the title, this thread made it...

Its only on page 4 for me...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Its only on page 4 for me...

For some reason when you aren't logged in the threads appear to be much longer than they are

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

It was good to see Deej get his Hulk on. Its about time.

Fantastic Damage I do like, but Classic it is not.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

which is GREAT! im glad im too old to be a fan of the rap music today. i dont want my rap heroes to be ludacris TI and 50cent. im extremely glad that i got to grow with DSt, kurtis, and rundmc. kool g rap, rakim, and the jbs. ditc and the native tongues. jlive, utd, and the rest of the indies from ny, chicago, seattle, houston etc in the 90s.

its good to be old.

MASSIVE

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    God bless the dead but can someone explain to me how "Donuts" = "rap album"
    Fixed.