Nas - Hip Hop Is Dead

2»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Just to note: it's not like I hate the new song. I just don't get how the hell no one 1) in Nas' camp, 2) Def Jam, 3) anywhere else didn't stop and ask, "hey man...uh, didn't you do this song back with "Thiefs Theme"?

I'm still looking forward to the new album. Assuming of course, that it's not all recycled beats off of I>Street's Disciplie[/i].

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Just to note: it's not like I hate the new song. I just don't get how the hell no one 1) in Nas' camp, 2) Def Jam, 3) anywhere else didn't stop and ask, "hey man...uh, didn't you do this song back with "Thiefs Theme"?

I'm still looking forward to the new album. Assuming of course, that it's not all recycled beats off of I>Street's Disciplie[/i].

Seeing that video for "Tie Me Up" or whatever it's called that he did with wifey this evening pretty much killed my anticipation.

What is this dude even thinking with that schitt? Am I alone in thinking that Kelis has been a terrible influence on him artistically?

Kelis = the '06 Erykah

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    why this beat? and why get will i am to execute it? he might as well got remi to redo it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Kelis = the '06 Erykah

Wait - does this mean you thought Common was actually good pre-Badu?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Kelis = the '06 Erykah

Sure--Resurrection is one of my favorite albums ever. And On Day... and LWFC both contained some great material.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Kelis = the '06 Erykah

Sure--Resurrection is one of my favorite albums ever. And On Day... and LWFC both contained some great material.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Resurrection is one of my favorite albums ever.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    It'd be nice to see Nas work with a new breed of producer. It's like he has his old illmatic stuff and his more recent stuff, which is getting stale, even if it still sounds good. He's been in the game for a LONG time, and really hasn't branched out much (save for that Bluesy stuff that sounded awkward at best.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    If I ever get a chance to play beats for nas, im just gonna bring in bongo rock and let it play out. Im bound to get a couple checks off that shit.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    If I ever get a chance to play beats for nas, im just gonna bring in bongo rock and let it play out. Im bound to get a couple checks off that shit.

Better yet, convince him to take Ghosts "rap over the whole song"-style to the next level and just do an album consisting of him rhyming over the entire Incredible Bongo Band album.

• jay need to worry bout his own shit...nobody is feeling his shaft in africa joint in the clubs either.

Yup. Tried it a few times now, fails miserably every time.

kills it here... it probably won't have a great shelf life, but it's gone over pretty well the last few weeks... then again, this is dale earnhardt, jr country, so maybe the nascar promotion is working

i don't understand why we keep expecting anything good from nas... the same shit just keeps happening over and over again... nas is like a high schoool girlfriend that you associate all these good times with (illmatic), then you go off to college and shit is still ok, but kind of weird (it was written), then you run into her during the holidays and it's great to see her (nas is like) so you decide to hang out (i am...) and you're like "i don't even know this person"... it keeps happening, every few years you run into each other (the jay-z beef, ether, made you look), and you think there could still be some sparks there (because there was that one time (god's son) you ran into each other at that bar had pretty good sex - even though it didn't quite have the same magic it once did, it was still good), so you hang out again (stillmatic, street's disciple, hip hop is dead), but it will just never be the same... at some point you just have to move on, and i think this is that point for me and nasir...

unless he puts out a really good single in a couple of years

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    jay need to worry bout his own shit...nobody is feeling his shaft in africa joint in the clubs either.

kills it here... it probably won't have a great shelf life, but it's gone over pretty well the last few weeks... then again, this is dale earnhardt, jr country, so maybe the nascar promotion is working

i don't understand why we keep expecting anything good from nas... the same shit just keeps happening over and over again... nas is like a high schoool girlfriend that you associate all these good times with (illmatic), then you go off to college and shit is still ok, but kind of weird (it was written), then you run into her during the holidays and it's great to see her (nas is like) so you decide to hang out (i am...) and you're like "i don't even know this person"... it keeps happening, every few years you run into each other (the jay-z beef, ether, made you look), and you think there could still be some sparks there (because there was that one time (god's son) you ran into each other at that bar had pretty good sex - even though it didn't quite have the same magic it once did, it was still good), so you hang out again (stillmatic, street's disciple, hip hop is dead), but it will just never be the same... at some point you just have to move on, and i think this is that point for me and nasir...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Brilliant metaphor. So we're basically saying that Nas needs a boob job to spice things up, right?

• Kelis = the black version of Pink

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    jay need to worry bout his own shit...nobody is feeling his shaft in africa joint in the clubs either.

this is some of the funniest shit ive read on here haha

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    [quote

i don't understand why we keep expecting anything good from nas... the same shit just keeps happening over and over again... nas is like a high schoool girlfriend that you associate all these good times with (illmatic), then you go off to college and shit is still ok, but kind of weird (it was written), then you run into her during the holidays and it's great to see her (nas is like) so you decide to hang out (i am...) and you're like i don't even know this person... it keeps happening, every few years you run into each other (the jay-z beef, ether, made you look), and you think there could still be some sparks there (because there was that one time (god's son) you ran into each other at that bar had pretty good sex - even though it didn't quite have the same magic it once did, it was still good), so you hang out again (stillmatic, street's disciple, hip hop is dead), but it will just never be the same... at some point you just have to move on, and i think this is that point for me and nasir...

Thanks!!

• My little sister is a good 'lowest common denominator' check. She's becky x1000. Don't get me wrong, she???s a great person underneath the toweled on make-up though.

I played her both Thief's Theme (which she has never heard) and Hip Hop is Dead and the latter got the thumbs up. When asked if they sounded similar her answer was along the lines of "no more similar than any 2 songs by other bands". She's heard IBB/iron butterfly via my sets but beyond that, it doesn???t enter her frame of reference.

I don't hate this (in fact i quite like it), becky is gonna like it, so here you have 2 people with utterly divergent musical taste, getting with the same tune.

IMHO that's a pretty good way to stage a triumphant comeback (artistic merit aside)

• Am I crazy, I actually really ahem liked that. I dont care that he recycled the beat, or used a shitload of apache or reused this or that or kinda sounds like the roots. He just sounds good to me. His cadence and rhythm are in top form. Hes just doing some Rakim. Thats what i want to hear from him -- just a straight up non conceptual album. Just him over really minimal hard drums. I know he'll get deep with his lyrics, but i just want him to avoid those concept songs he tries -- a blues song with Dad, books of rhymes, eating Kellis feces, biographies of Rakim, being a gun, ruling the world and so on.

Just minimal shit. And thats what this song sounds like to me. im just an unabashed nas nerd. dont hate on me, it takes a grown man to Love.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    eating Kellis feces,

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

NICE !

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    did that az and nas track "serious" end up on anything? you know what i want to hear? an album of just collabs between az and nas. nas never once phucked up a collab with az.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    did that az and nas track "serious" end up on anything? you know what i want to hear? an album of just collabs between az and nas. nas never once phucked up a collab with az.
    statik selektah did a good nas tape called "the prophecy" that came out before sd. it had "serious" and a bunch of other good stuff on it.

• Well, if Hip Hop Is Dead is Nas' Show Me What You Got this could as well be his Kingdom Come:

Nas - The N

• did that az and nas track "serious" end up on anything? you know what i want to hear? an album of just collabs between az and nas. nas never once phucked up a collab with az.

anybody got that "understanding" song?... i had it on a dj s&s tape around '95 i guess, and have been half-heartedly looking for it since

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    What is this dig shallow fest? That's the ad nauseaum melody from the journey to the center of the earth record.