Size13Size13 52 Posts
edited March 2016 in Music Talk

TAGGED:

Comments

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

That shit sounds illmatic!

• dayday 9,611 Posts

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Nas really likes that bongo band shit, huh?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Ha - yeah my first thought was "Salaam Remi again, eh?".

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts

Given Nas' turble taste in beats, the 'Made you look' formula is safe territory. He's really not a Big/ Jay-Z in terms of making a 'Big Poppa' or 'Give it 2 me' crosover hit, and I hope he's realized his limitations in that sense so he can do introspective street sh*t over hard(ish) beats which is what he's really good at.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Wait - didn't Remi already do "In Gadda Da Vida"? What the fuck?

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

I think this was Jay-Z's idea.

Seriously, how is Nas/Remi going to basically serve up "Thief's Theme" again? I'm so confused. If you're going to bite yourself, then at least go back to, I dunno, ""Halftime" or some shit. Why are you recycling the same basic beat you put out a year or so ago?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Seriously, how is Nas/Remi going to basically serve up "Thief's Theme" again? I'm so confused. If you're going to bite yourself, then at least go back to, I dunno, ""Halftime" or some shit. Why are you recycling the same basic beat you put out a year or so ago?

yeah but dont forget... hip hop is dead. Remeber?

• LempoLempo 22 Posts
    I think that this one uses the Iron Butterfly's version, at least you can hear the organ from the beginning of that version. But still, a bit

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i dont know, i dig this.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I will say one thing I don't like, is the singing. This whole thing kinda sounds like a Roots joint to me.

I think alot of dudes from 'back in the day' who have made it commercially (ie. Jay, Nas) want to take it back to where they came from and I can get with that.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    This sounds so much like a roots joint. not a bad thing though.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    that song is just bad.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I think alot of dudes from 'back in the day' who have made it commercially (ie. Jay, Nas) want to take it back to where they came from and I can get with that.

Well, as far as taking it back to the essence, I think that "Where Y'all At" joint that someone posted up a while ago (the one with the Minnie R loop) was much better. Revisiting the Gadda-Da-Vida sample and sprinkling it with a bit of Bongo Band in the breakdown is too easy.

Well, I guess that rhyming on top of a Minnie loop is just as easy, but it just sounded more "urgent".

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Todays hymn is... "In the garden of eden" by I. Ron Butterfly. Wait a minute... this sounds like Rock and or Roll!

• Will I Am produced this if anyone cares.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Will I Am produced this if anyone cares.

At first i didn't even realized it was nas. and it does sound like a roots joint. and no, you dont hear it is a will i am production. but i am hesitant to play this in the club when it comes to backspinning the chorus...."murder the dj"...

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    justs sounds like another modern day hip hop joint, tryin' to do too many things.

• i like what they (salaam) did with the fills..god made me/ make the music.
    as far as what yall are sayin about it being a roots joint....this is what black thought always wanted to sound like. alot of cats hate on thought..but i think he's nice ..and he killed shit on respond/react.

jay need to worry bout his own shit...nobody is feeling his shaft in africa joint in the clubs either.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    I think this is kinda smart to stick to those drums, it gives him a sort of signature sound (something that most rappers are missing).

I mean, you don't expect a guitar player to buy a different guitar for each new song ?

• Todays hymn is... "In the garden of eden" by I. Ron Butterfly. Wait a minute... this sounds like Rock and or Roll!

Best episode ever...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I think this is kinda smart to stick to those drums, it gives him a sort of signature sound (something that most rappers are missing).

I mean, you don't expect a guitar player to buy a different guitar for each new song ?

No, it's stupid.

"Made You Look" was a good record, but these other terds have done nothing but lead those who still pay attention to him to suspect that he is creatively moribund.

No, it's stupid.

"Made You Look" was a good record, but these other terds have done nothing but lead those who still pay attention to him to suspect that he is creatively moribund.

I don't mean to sound dense about this but anyone who thinks this song is remotely "fire" really needs to sit down and explain how it is that Nas' last lead single was this:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSto...&i=31232142

And now he's RECYCLING THE SAME BASIC BEAT for his new lead single.

This doesn't bother anyone? I'm not even talking about some purist, "you can only sample the same beat once" but jesus christ people, IT'S THE SAME FUCKING SONG WITH NEW LYRICS.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

No, it's stupid.

I don't mean to sound dense about this but anyone who thinks this song is remotely "fire" really needs to sit down and explain how it is that Nas' last lead single was this:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=31225308&s=143441&i=31232142

And now he's RECYCLING THE SAME BASIC BEAT for his new lead single.

This doesn't bother anyone? I'm not even talking about some purist, "you can only sample the same beat once" but jesus christ people, IT'S THE SAME FUCKING SONG WITH NEW LYRICS.

"What part of the game is that?"

Perhaps the most notable is Nas, who has used Incredible Bongo Band samples on ???Made Ya Look??? and ???Thieves Theme??? (the latter using the band???s cover of Iron Butterfly???s ???In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida???), among other songs. ???Those breaks are so hip-hop,??? he said in an e-mail message via his label, Def Jam. ???I???m going to continue using them again and again.???

Nas is a man of his .

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    jay need to worry bout his own shit...nobody is feeling his shaft in africa joint in the clubs either.

Yup. Tried it a few times now, fails miserably every time.

Yup. Tried it a few times now, fails miserably every time.

I'm actually surprised to hear this (of course, I'm also disconnected from the clubs). What is it about the song that isn't going over? Visions of Danica Patrick?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    people don't you see whats going on?? nas is a practicioner of all ELEMENTZ of that REAL SCHITT, even the most arcane ones. he is simply stealing a page from the de la soul playbook and has leaked a fake title track to throw the press and bootleggers off the trail of that he's got. when a more appropriate time comes nas will prevail and reveal the $2 mill heatrock he has in his possesion.

hearing this has killed off most of my enthusiasm for the new lp.