Horror Movies

jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
edited March 2016 in Off Topic (NRR)
What are the classics? I'm not talkin the Elm St/Halloween/Fri 13/ mainstream joints. What about the ones I've never heard of. 60's, 70's, 80's, when shit was good, and raw.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I was watching Bravo's scary countdown, and the one that stood out to me was "The Last House on the Left". Some fucking BRUTAL realistic death scenes. Holy fuck.
    I haven't seen it though, so I can't fully vouch for it.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I was watching Bravo's scary countdown, and the one that stood out to me was "The Last House on the Left". Some fucking BRUTAL realistic death scenes. Holy fuck.
    I haven't seen it though, so I can't fully vouch for it.
    i think thats an early wes craven, no?

rob zombie hosts some friday night show on amc that plays cult classics.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    What are the classics? I'm not talkin the Elm St/Halloween/Fri 13/ mainstream joints. What about the ones I've never heard of. 60's, 70's, 80's, when shit was good, and raw.
    have you seen ''Maniac''? not quite 'straight' horror, more in the slasher vein. definite 40 duece material.

• I caught a few good movies that I never would have seen because that Bravo Countdown. OG Hills Have Eyes, The Wicker Man, Last House on The Left, and on the painful to watch tip, Audition.

• One of my favorite films of all time (horror or otherwise) is this 70's Aussie classic called "Picnic At Hanging Rock". It's an early effort by Peter Weir. Not a gory or bloody flick but incredibly eerie, creepy and with a whole lot of mood. It's also beautifully shot, well acted, lyrically written and has the perfect ST.

Based on the (true?) story of a class of turn-of-the-century Aussie boarding school girls who embark on an all-day outing/picnic at the base of a secluded mountain in the outback (Hanging Rock).

Four of the girls decide to explore further up the rock and only one returns. If you're in the mood for smart, thoughtful, quality horror, look no further. Good Criterion edition in the states, but apparently there's a more recent 2-disc Australian release that's got an end-all feature length doc as well.

• 'Last House On The Left' is Craven's first movie. Way    to the point where its not even enjoyable viewing, but maybe thats what you're looking for.

David Cronenbergs 'The Brood' should do the trick as well.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    What are the classics?

Two words. Dario Argento. Italian horror movies people. Plaese believe it. Soundtracks by Goblin. The REALNESS..............

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    classics
    dunno if this is already "mainstream", but "night of the living dead" and "dawn of the dead" are CLASSIC.
    Don??t forget about the oldschool as well: Nosferatu, Caligari or even the OG King Kong even if the SPLATTER factor is low.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    What are the classics?

Two words. Dario Argento. Italian horror movies people. Plaese believe it. Soundtracks by Goblin. The REALNESS..............
    'the only thing scarier than the last 10 minutes of suspiria, are the first 90 minutes of suspiria.'

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Obviously you've got the classics like Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre bt if you're looking for somethng a little different I can't recommend the films of Frank Henenlotter enough. These two in particular are genius.

Also, on an older tip, check out the original Haunting.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts

FUCKING

I love this one.

other pieces I enjoyed seeing:

Argento's Door into Darkness!

Knife of Ice

great start!
    hope i can find some of these at the local blockbuster.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Classics you never heard of? Isnt that an oxymoron?

Freddie/Jason/Micheal = 80's. But I'll try to add......

Bernie Casey in Gargoyles

Phantasm
    Doug E. Fresh and the Get Fresh Crew - Play This Only At Night ( Interpolation )

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Damn! This movie is the shit!!!!! The Shaw Brothers lifted a lot of the music from the soundtrack and used it in the kung-fu classic "The Kid With The Golden Arm." I think "Black Belly Of The Tarantula" was a Spanish/Italian co-production. Great film.

The Hunger - Stylistic Modern Horror..........Susan Sarandon/Kathern Deneuve Vampire Lesbo scene!!!

and

Cheesy late 80's flick so terrible it's good.

great start!
    hope i can find some of these at the local blockbuster.

Holla at a boy if you need a Karagarga (artmovie/cult torrent site) invite

How could I forget this one...

Les Levres Rouges a.k.a. The daughters of Darkness.

Brilliant suspencefull lesbo vampire fire nugget loops!

Soundtrack is dope as hell - known for the rare 45 by roubaix.
    Someone needs to reissue the entire soundtrack ?? la trunk

• 60's, 70's, 80's, when shit was good, and raw.

The best horror movies are the ones being made right now. The horror movie is relevant now more than ever.

I thought The Descent was excellent--made good use of the proper ingredients for a horror movie: dark, tight spaces; solving seemingly impossible problems; unreeling the plot slowly. Of course, I was drinking a bottle of blackberry brandy during the movie, which only heightened the experience, but I left the theater pleased.

Personally, I consider the 80s the worst decade in horror with the 70s close behind. With those 80s movies, they always leave me feeling like there was nothing to be said about society, unless you consider an endless line of people to be hacked to bits social commentary. The 70s was far too steeped in religious hysteria. I always feel like if you see The Exorcist--an anti-science movie if there ever was one--then you've seen basically most of those 70s horror movies. I think that, nowadays, horror directors have deftly combined the supernatural and slasher touches. Even the current remakes have improved upon the originals, in many cases.

The world today is fast, and speed kills. Why shouldn't horror movies be quick? If you want to sit through those older, slower, out-dated, albeit good movies, be my guest, but they have no relevance in my world.

60's, 70's, 80's, when shit was good, and raw.

The best horror movies are the ones being made right now. The horror movie is relevant now more than ever.
    Personally, I consider the 80s the worst decade in horror with the 70s close behind. With those 80s movies, they always leave me feeling like there was nothing to be said about society, unless you consider an endless line of people to be hacked to bits social commentary. The 70s was far too steeped in religious hysteria. I always feel like if you see The Exorcist--an anti-science movie if there ever was one--then you've seen basically most of those 70s horror movies. I think that, nowadays, horror directors have deftly combined the supernatural and slasher touches. Even the current remakes have improved upon the originals, in many cases.

The world today is fast, and speed kills. Why shouldn't horror movies be quick? If you want to sit through those older, slower, out-dated, albeit good movies, be my guest, but they have no relevance in my world.

75% of the Horror being made now are remakes of 70/80s. If you prefer derivative stuff I cant question your private mind garden. Your really dissin the "golden age" of the game.

"Nothing said about society"???? Just cause it wasnt spelled out for you in the dialogue doesnt mean the films werent a reflection of peoples/culture mentality.

Dawn of the Dead then and Dawn of the Dead now both critique consumer culture.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Magic

The Omen

Not quite as obscure as some of the others in this thread,
    but they sure scared the beejeezus out of me!

dark, tight spaces

• 60's, 70's, 80's, when shit was good, and raw.

75% of the Horror being made now are remakes of 70/80s. If you prefer derivative stuff I cant question your private mind garden. Your really dissin the "golden age" of the game.

"Nothing said about society"???? Just cause it wasnt spelled out for you in the dialogue doesnt mean the films werent a reflection of peoples/culture mentality.

Dawn of the Dead then and Dawn of the Dead now both critique consumer culture.

Really? I didn't know any of that!

• Keep posting these ultra-obscure photos from old movies without giving any sort of explanation for why they're good--that's always enlightening!

Better yet, keep attributing comments to me that I never made. It really gives creedence to this intellectual argument you're trying to make!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    THE EYE
    -- 2002, scary, awesome cinematography, japanese horror film

THE EVIL DEAD
    ===1981, classic Raimi film, awesome film work, must see

THE FOG (ORIGINAL)
    ))))Awesome director, actors, actresses, very creepy because of the camera work 

Keep posting these ultra-obscure photos from old movies without giving any sort of explanation for why they're good--that's always enlightening!

Better yet, keep attributing comments to me that I never made. It really gives creedence to this intellectual argument you're trying to make!

Money asked for some "underepresented Classics" in Horror not a full length critique on why.

If your private mind garden doesnt place his requested era in high regard why would u want someone to explain shit that u find made in the worst eras of horror.

Holla at a boy if you need a Karagarga (artmovie/cult torrent site) invite

check your pm's

Keep posting these ultra-obscure photos from old movies

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

I thought The Descent was excellent--made good use of the proper ingredients for a horror movie: dark, tight spaces; solving seemingly impossible problems; unreeling the plot slowly. Of course, I was drinking a bottle of blackberry brandy during the movie, which only heightened the experience, but I left the theater pleased.

No relevance in your world? Who cares? Sorry man, but you're running off at the mouth like your opinion is the be all is all on the subject. It's like me flipping off on how the only worthwhile music is the music on the charts now. How Young Jeezy is more relevant than Issac Hayes? Yeah.. to me that's what you sound like. In my opinion you can have your running zombies, and daytime vampires and bullshit.

- spidey

• You can have your opinion, too. I don't care. I was just trying to convince Jaymack that there's really good horror being made right now.