Horror Movies

2»

Comments

• I know its not obscure but this has to be my favourite

• if you see The Exorcist--an anti-science movie if there ever was one--then you've seen basically most of those 70s horror movies. I think that, nowadays, horror directors have deftly combined the supernatural and slasher touches. Even the current remakes have improved upon the originals, in many cases.

The world today is fast, and speed kills. Why shouldn't horror movies be quick? If you want to sit through those older, slower, out-dated, albeit good movies, be my guest, but they have no relevance in my world.

How is The Exorcist "anti-science"? I can see the zombie flicks and others as a commentary on consumerism etc., but anti-science...?

I can't really tell you how The Exorcist is anti-science since I haven't seen it in awhile, but I remember having that feeling when I watched it, especially during the scenes with the psychologists and brain experts.

And if you look at the decades of horror, they all resurrect the oldies. It's nothing new.

As for many of the remakes I've seen, such as Amityville, they have been better, in my opinion. Feel free to disagree. With that movie, especially, I like how they quickened the pace and were more precise with the camera-work. On the other hand, some of the remakes should have left the originals alone if they weren't going to do them justice or attempt to bring them to the audience of 2006.

Lastly, I'm not trying to say that horror movies from the earlier decades don't have timeless qualities that play on our instincts. But to me, there's timeless and then there's immediate.

Seriously, what'd you guys expect when you say something provocative along the lines of "the new stuff isn't raw or good"--for people not to go after that statement? If you guys don't like the newest stuff, I can't tell you what to like, but I still think you should give the recent movies a fair chance. And if you have and can't stand a single one, I'll still watch them.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What about the ones I've never heard of. 60's, 70's, 80's, when shit was good, and raw.

I didnt interpret this as Modern Horror = crap.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    CABIN FEVER, some may say this crap, i liked it, hot girls, sex scene, original plot, yet funny at the end, not a horror, but was never intended

OPEN WATER, intense, diving movie, worth a watch, on another level of reality horror

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Get this for "The Boogey Man"

• CABIN FEVER, some may say this crap, i liked it, hot girls, sex scene, original plot, yet funny at the end, not a horror, but was never intended

Saw this last night and I thought it was horrible. Not scary at all.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    can't front on the classics:

and Suspiria is overrated IMO...the opening scene is cool and the room of razor wire is cool but it is just not scary on any level, and it's actually pretty boring.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Cosizzle on the argento movies. Heres my reccomendations, both george romero movies ;

Night of the living dead (68) - If u look around you can actually watch this legally free now so its all over the internet. They screwed up on the publishing or something so its jus in the public domain now.
    Dawn of the Dead (78) - Best horror film ever, infact its my favourite film EVAH!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

i was 11 when i saw this film... scared the shit outta me.

now dont get me wrong, im a big splatter fan, i love that shit, but nothing has ever scared me as much as the childs toy ball bouncing down the dark staircase in this movie.

Romero's movies are fucking excellent as well.

and for a great mind-fuck that is sure to polarise opinion, check out lair of the white worm...

and just to add my 0.02: most of the remakes ive seen lately, and i seen a gang of 'em have been poos. it seems the constant catering to the MTV generation by the film makers leaves no substance, no suspense, just a shitload of blood, cliches and bad acting.

having said that: go rent shadow of the vampire... thats a good recent(ish) movie.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    CABIN FEVER, some may say this crap, i liked it, hot girls, sex scene, original plot, yet funny at the end, not a horror, but was never intended

Saw this last night and I thought it was horrible. Not scary at all.

and Suspiria is overrated IMO...the opening scene is cool and the room of razor wire is cool but it is just not scary on any level, and it's actually pretty boring.

i think there's a difference between a horror movie which is actually horrifying/frightening and a horror movie which is that on a mainly aesthetic/genre level. the former is harder to achieve as we get older and shocking/explicit images are everywhere.

i also think the line between horror and suspense is becoming more and more fuzzy.

i like Argento's films because there are scenes which make my skin crawl, but more than anything i think he makes good eye candy...very nicely stylized slasher films.

Opera is fantastic. WARNING: NOT NICE IMAGE COMING.

Inferno by Argento is pretty spectacular, too.

yea, cabin fever was terrible - as any type of film.

• yea, cabin fever was terrible - as any type of film.

I guess I wasn't clear. Cabin Fever was god awful. Not even in the so bad its good kind of way. It was just bad. There are some horror movies that are bad but at least they are a little scary. I find that redeeming. Cabin Fever wasn't even the least bit scary.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

this movie is creepy as f***

watched it recently, and i can't get that 'lil red riding hood revealed' scene outta my head. so disturbing. it reminds me of the scene in mulholland drive where the scary neighbor knocks on naomi watts' door saying "someone is in trouble" over and over

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    TCM has been showing some classics and I enjoy most of them, even if they aren't really "scary" by today's standards. I DVR'd White Zombie and actually thought that it was pretty badass. Bela Lugosi is just cruel as fuck in that movie. And really, the whole plot was pretty sick and twisted. Lately I had been rating Bela as an overacting cheeseball, but in White Zombie he was just an evil bastard. So good.

Cabin Fever. I thought it was funny as shit. That whole bit about the deputy and his "party" was hilarious. I highly recomend it.

Wrong Turn. I've never seen so many people split right down the middle about a movie. People either absolutely loved it, or loathed it. Go to IMDB and look at people fight about it. Personally, I think its one of the most frightening, edge-of-your-seat movies I've seen in years. Could be a personal thing though.... Hillbillies just scare me. Yeah, its a rip of other deranged hillbilly movies, but none of them scared the shit out of me like this one, except maybe Texas Chainsaw.

Speaking of wich....

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the remake). There is only 1 reason to watch this movie. R. Lee Ermey (the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket). His role in the remake is too badass to pass up. Without him the movie would be absolute shit. Even with him the movie is shit, but still, R. Lee Ermey rules.

• "Bucket of Blood". Not so scary, but a very interesting movie.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Tenebrae! Tenebrae! Tenebrae!!!!!!!

NEVER get tired of this movie. Argento's best all around film. I have watched this movie so many times that I've lost count. The scene when the girl is getting chased by the dog through the streets and then ends up in the darkroom and finds those pictures! DAMN! Watch out for that ax!!!!!!!!!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Tenebrae! Tenebrae! Tenebrae!!!!!!!

NEVER get tired of this movie.

seriously.it's the first movie i ever saw by him cause a band i really liked are named after its english title.