Jay Z Hawking Budweiser

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=f23f8261-ff7c-42b2-8603-ea827d23fafe Jay-Z: From Cristal to Bud[/b]by Gina SerpeWhat Jay-Z once did for Cristal, he's now looking to do for Budweiser Select. Only without the acrimonious, race-card-playing fallout.Anheuser-Busch has hired the shill-friendly rap icon as the new co-brand director of its beer line, a position which will not only ensure that the musician's marketing prowess will take center stage at development meetings, but might even merit a name check or two in the newly unretired rapper's lyrics.Though we're sure that thought never crossed the company's mind."Collaborating with Jay-Z presents an opportunity to work with one of the world's great entrepreneurs and draws upon his expertise with pop culture, music and business," Marlene Coulis, Anheuser-Busch's vice president of brand management, said in a statement."His approach to reaching people in creative, groundbreaking ways that transcend cultural boundaries makes this alliance particularly exciting."Particularly if the people he's reaching happen to have parched mouths, valid IDs and disposable income.The alcohol purveyors have stayed otherwise vague on Jay-Z's exact job description, claiming he will "provide his unique spin, thoughts and insights on various brand programs" and "actively participate in the development" of Budweiser Select.So far, the extent of his active participation has been to appear in two commercials for the beer company, though there's no word on whether his unique insight was consulted for the shoot.The first 60-second spot premiered during ESPN's Monday Night Football this week, and featured clips from the rapper's music video "Show Me What You Got" interspersed with shots of NASCAR's Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Danica Patrick, as well as Hova himself. No demographic left unturned there. The ad closed with the tagline, "Jay-Z is back, coming Nov. 21," referencing the date his long-awaited comeback album, Kingdom Come, drops.The other 30-second spot features a VIP house party???is there any other kind????in Monaco and again uses Jay-Z's single as the background music.The 36-year-old entrepreneur, born Shawn Carter, is also due to collaborate on upcoming TV and radio commercials for the beer company, as well as appear in a print campaign and offer face time in support of the beverage at several high-profile events.Anheuser-Busch also claims Jay-Z will be an integral part of Bud.TV, an online entertainment site the company plans to launch, which will be aimed at the twentysomething imbiber.The penchant for hawking alcoholic goods is nothing new for the Grammy-winning rapper, who last year appeared in a series of TV and online spots for Heineken, who in turn recently sponsored the South African leg of his tour.Beyonc??'s better half doesn't just limit himself to mood-altering endorsements, however. He's also appeared, along with Pharrell Williams and Shaun White, in TV and online spots for HP's "The Computer Is Personal Again" marketing campaign since May.

Comments

• it tastes better already.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I guess there is some money left that Sean Carter didn???t have yet. I thought this dude is one of impeccable taste and style? Now he is selling Budweiser beer?

• HE'S JUST TRYNA KEEP UP W/ HIS BOY ICE-T. ICE-T STAYS STACKIN THAT STROH'S BREWERY CHEDDAR.

• I still don't get it. What's the difference between Bud and Bud Select? "Cooler" label?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Jay's such a pleb.

• I thought this dude is one of impeccable taste and style? Now he is selling Budweiser beer?

it clearly states on the label that is the king of beers... that is pretty hard to argue with

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    he already did commercials for heineken... whats the difference?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

He may actually drink Heineken.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

He may actually drink Heineken.

LOL! So true.

• I don't know about you guys, but I like to drink.

I find that Budweiser is perfect for chasing shots.

It shouldn't be imbibed under any other circumstances, however.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I don't know about you guys, but I like to drink.

This post is only about a hair short of a challenge to compare chest pelts.

• It's just that beers that are way better cost only a fraction more. Just not a fan of the product the big American breweries put out, 'cept I can fuck w/ Miller. High Life baby. But then I dig Mexican beers and some people think they taste the same.

• I don't know about you guys, but I like to drink.

This post is only about a hair short of a challenge to compare chest pelts.

My chest pelt reigns supreme.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    nas is going to be maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    the streets are not feeling budweiser

• It's just that beers that are way better cost only a fraction more. Just not a fan of the product the big American breweries put out, 'cept I can fuck w/ Miller. High Life baby. But then I dig Mexican beers and some people think they taste the same.

You are not a man for three reasons:
    1) Drinking beer that tastes better for a fraction more cost-wise is not economically sound to a man who must also throw bacon and eggs into the grocery bill.
    2) The hardcore marketing campaign to make Miller High Life seem manly couldn't be more transparent. Shame on you.
    3) Would you use any of those Mexican beers as a cooking ingredient? Didn't think so.

Re: Budweiser Select

Really, now, why are you drinking this?

• 1) Drinking beer that tastes better for a fraction more cost-wise is not economically sound to a man who must also throw bacon and eggs into the grocery bill.

You sound poor.

• Grandson of poor farmers. Being thrifty is a virtue to us.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    fuck bud, jigga needs to be hyping steel reserve

and get some of the boones farm money while hes at it

anybody remember those st ides commericals? the wu-tang one was my shit.

• the streets are not feeling budweiser

but were they feelin coors light when Dre was tappin on his laptop at tha back of tha plane?

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

"Get your girl in the mood quicker, get your jimmy thicker"

I still can't believe they used to play this commercial on radio and tv. The people at St. Ides must've had NO idea what Cube was talking about.

The Wu-Tang one was crazy. "...my rap is like a lasar beam". I actually liked some of the west coast g-funk ones the best. RIDICULOUS beats on some of those!

Do they still even sell that St. Ides schitt?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I thought this dude is one of impeccable taste and style? Now he is selling Budweiser beer?

it clearly states on the label that is the king of beers... that is pretty hard to argue with

funny shit.

• I still don't get it. What's the difference between Bud and Bud Select? "Cooler" label?

Bud select is actually worse. It tasts like over carbonated slightly skunked bud. Really fucking nasty shit.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Budweiser Select is so awful. It's like drinking awfulness. In your mouth. Fuck that.

• Budweiser Select is so awful. It's like drinking awfulness. In your mouth. Fuck that.

lol, this should be on the SG warning lable.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I thought this dude is one of impeccable taste and style? Now he is selling Budweiser beer?

yeah but Miller is the champagne of beers!

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    Is "Armand De Brignac" owned by Jay-Z or something ?
    I'm from France and I've ever heard of it...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I actually liked some of the west coast g-funk ones the best. RIDICULOUS beats on some of those!

Do they still even sell that St. Ides schitt?

When I was in NY back in 97, they aired the one with King Tee. Now that was really a RIDICULOUS beat, I think J-Zone even mentions it somewhere on his album that this one track was better than another cat's whole album. I still need that!!!!!!!!!! I was told that there was a japanese release with all the St. Ides commercials. Is that true? But I really, really need the one with King Tee!!! "Special brew, Special brew, so special" with kool & the gang drums...can anyone up this? I need that schitt!!! Or Pm me if u got it, i need it....many thx in advance...

peace,

S.D.

• i'll put all the st. ides commercial mp3s up tonight if nobody beats me to it... i think i have all of them at home... my favorite is the geto boys - "my malt's playing tricks on me"... "i sit alone in my four cornered room eatin' a wing dinner" lol

• Do they still even sell that St. Ides schitt?

Hell yes! St. Ides, O.E., and Colt .45 are the triumvirate of hip-hop 40oz.