LOVE - Forever Changes - This sounds better everytime I listen...

hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
edited March 2005 in Music Talk

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    "The Red Telephone" gives me acid flashbacks.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    "The Red Telephone" gives me acid flashbacks.

yeah! that song is awesome! I can't pick a favorite though. It's one of those records...

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts

how much is that puppy worth anyhow?

spot down the road from me has like 3 copies for about 8 each.

• My fave is "You Set The Scene"

There's a man who can't decide / If he should fight for what his father thinks is right

lot's of pressings. Goldish brown labels might go for 20-30ish...

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    For almost 20 years now, definitely one of my favorite records ever

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I was listening to this today on the subway. Nice one.

Anyone know if there is truth to the stories that Aurther Lee recorded this mostly with studio musicians?

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Anyone know if there is truth to the stories that Aurther Lee recorded this mostly with studio musicians?

I love this record. But this is one for the Autumn. I need the fuzz for springtime. Wasted.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I love this record. But this is one for the Autumn. I need the fuzz for springtime. Wasted.

You hit the nail on the head with that one, dude.

I mean, I can dig this year round, but it's most definitely an autumn record.

You have to remember that I come from the land of no seasons though.

that must suck. I mean, I love nice weather. but one needs to have bad days in order to appreciate the good.

love the love, though.

that must suck. I mean, I love nice weather. but one needs to have bad days in order to appreciate the good.

love the love, though.

I've heard this theory, but I honest don't know what it's like to not have "sunshine on my shoulder", as John Denver said...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

lot's of pressings. Goldish brown labels might go for 20-30ish...

Reportedly, in 38 years this album never went out of print (i got the grey label with the butterfly)

I believe it.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

You need some Mecki MM MP3s? Or did you already track down a copy?

• Anyone know if there is truth to the stories that Aurther Lee recorded this mostly with studio musicians?

Lee's ideas were a step ahead of what the band could actually play, so producer Bruce Botnick recorded a couple of tracks using pop-session musicians to intentionally shock the band into getting serious... ended up re-recording 2 of those, Lee played rhythm guitar and overdubbed his voice on them, but the rest is all the band playing.

last I heard, Lee was serving a 12 year sentence for firing his handgun into the air when a neighbor complained he was playing his stereo too loud.

Lee's ideas were a step ahead of what the band could actually play, so producer Bruce Botnick recorded a couple of tracks using pop-session musicians to intentionally shock the band into getting serious... ended up re-recording 2 of those, Lee played rhythm guitar and overdubbed his voice on them, but the rest is all the band playing.

last I heard, Lee was serving a 12 year sentence for firing his handgun into the air when a neighbor complained he was playing his stereo too loud.

WOW!!!

I have mp3s of it. just got outbid by a dollar.
    it's not an expensive record. man. getting outbid by a dollar sucks.

found their 2nd LP last week out in chiburbia. that was cool.

Last I heard he's out and they did a reunion tour. Dope dvd too, check it out.

Dope. The S/T is seriously one of the most purely psychedelic albums I own. Have you heard their 'Marathon' album? Sweden only press i think.

Dope. The S/T is seriously one of the most purely psychedelic albums I own. Have you heard their 'Marathon' album? Sweden only press i think.

I can't get enough of that s/t. they have such a great sound. that's my sound. I must have it. now.

I think I need marathon. send raer.

26 miles of MMM, hell yes.

mammouth music mart is cool too. mix master mike...he's cool.

I can't get enough of that s/t. they have such a great sound. that's my sound. I must have it. now.

I think I need marathon. send raer.

26 miles of MMM, hell yes.

mammouth music mart is cool too. mix master mike...he's cool.

For those unacquainted with the face melting properties of MMM:

OPENING

[/hijack]

• I am totally into this ( being from LA and all ). My two high school friends Mike Randall and Dave Ramsey play guitar and bass with Arthur now in the new incarnation of Love. When they played at Royce Hall at UCLA Ramona and I were invited backstage.

Arthur is so messed up. First off all the performace was a disaster because he could not even carry a tune. Word is he was fine at other performances but when we saw him he was a mumbling and bizzare mess. I did not know what to make of it.

So I'm hanging back stage and Arthur emerges from a room on the side with one of the biggest freaks in LA ( Rodney Bingenheimer ). What the fug, They are both artistic heros, bottom line, but they both got vibes and energy as heavy and freaky as you can imagine.
    They scurry out of there as fast as possible. Off to where i do not know.

I really feel for Arthur. He really is a total eccentric genuis who is really messed. It is sad to see. On a side note Rodney is totally facinating to me at least. The movie that came out on him last year was tragic and fucked. They guy who made it punked Rodney but dude Rodney is a total hero. It was a sad ass movie that was made by a cruel asshole but I cannot help but be amazed by it. That part where they revisit Rodney's childhood home in the bay area is incredible. That footage of him from the glam days is staggering.

Forever Changes is amazing. It inspires me to make art because it is so unique, odd and heartfelt and authentic. It is a unusual, unexpected masterpeice. It places me in LA in 1966 in the most perfect way. I discoved it in High School and revisited it many times since.
    I truly love it.

ap

My dad supposedly hugged arthur at the coach house a few years ago. I guess arthur had recently broken his foot when he slipped on a TV remote control. This was when my dad used to drink. he could relate, I guess...

• My dad supposedly hugged arthur at the coach house a few years ago. I guess arthur had recently broken his foot when he slipped on a TV remote control. This was when my dad used to drink. he could relate, I guess...

this sounds amazingly cool and totally bizzare and hysterical!

My dad supposedly hugged arthur at the coach house a few years ago. I guess arthur had recently broken his foot when he slipped on a TV remote control. This was when my dad used to drink. he could relate, I guess...

this sounds amazingly cool and totally bizzare and hysterical!

yes. My dad has many such tales...

when he dies, I will take them for my own. After all, if not for good stories, what do we have to show for this life?

record collection?

my dad's? it sucks. He had decent taste, but didn't buy any of the record to reflect it.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah Arthur is touring the UK again at the moment and has got Johnny Echols with him this time.