LOVE - Forever Changes - This sounds better everytime I listen...

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yes, Arthur Lee is a bad mofo. Of course the handgun thing... but also, there's rumors that Jim Morrison used to sleep outside dude's house, just trying to be down... Morrison was on some, "you're that dude. How can I be down?" And Lee was like "you're a pretentious f&ck get away from me". I saw dude on tour last year. INCREDIBLE. Do not sleep if they come to your town. Best record ever? Maybe that, son.

HCrink - according to legend the album WAS recorded with studio musicians because the OG cast was all drugged up and out of it. Apparently, they got it together just in time to re-cut the tracks, which is what ended up on the album.

Dave - Gold labels (stereo and mono) are worth $20-30 in nice shape. Mono maybe more. Red or butterfly label is a great deal for $8, not really for resale but just because your life will be better with this record in it. No breaks or funk though.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yeah this records is quite possibly the greatest ever.. really no other like it in my honest opinion.

perfect from beginin to end.

did anybody hear the Brian Maclean demos that came out a few years back.. accoustic versions of alot of Love tracks...

it's interesting because most people talk about LOVE as arthur's thing and thats it.. but Maclean was like the mcartney to his lennon.. and really did alot to make the love sound..

anyhow i think im gonna listen to this for the first time in awhile right now

forever changes that is.

peace

• debardebar 215 Posts
    Anyone know if there is truth to the stories that Aurther Lee recorded this mostly with studio musicians?

I love this record. But this is one for the Autumn. I need the fuzz for springtime. Wasted.

You have to remember that I come from the land of no seasons though.

that must suck. I mean, I love nice weather. but one needs to have bad days in order to appreciate the good.

love the love, though.

lol, spoken by a true chicagoan

• Yeah, this is the album that split the original band. Arthur wanted to be more serious...hence the string arrangements and studio time. This just pissed the band of though. Brian Maclean definitly put his 2 cents on this record. After the band split Arthur was trying to get Hendrix to join. Didn't work. He did cut that one track with them on "False Start." I think I like the 1st album best or "Foursail." I've got the last album with the name "Love" on it. It's called "Reel To Real." Pretty bad IMO but it has my favorite Love song ever. An acoustic version of "Everybodys Got To Live" which was on "Out Here" done electric.

Anybody got this one?

I couldn't believe it when I found out Arthur was from Memphis!

lol there's some break on that reel to real LP that causes TSL to sell it for $18... it's not worth half that if you ask me. BLECH.

Foursail I like, but not nearly as much as the first three. Love "Good Times" off Foursail.

• lol there's some break on that reel to real LP that causes TSL to sell it for $18... it's not worth half that if you ask me. BLECH.

Break on Reel to Real? Didn't catch that one. "Out Here" has the massive break though!

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    the only love album ive got is Out Here

ive just never seen any other Love albums around, otherwise, i'd pick them up lickidy split

lol there's some break on that reel to real LP that causes TSL to sell it for $18... it's not worth half that if you ask me. BLECH.

Break on Reel to Real? Didn't catch that one. "Out Here" has the massive break though!

Yep

And good one too, good thing because lord knows no Love fan is buying that record for the songs (or are they?).

I love when beat diggers are all like, "Love" and it's like, "you don't even know the half..."

• lol there's some break on that reel to real LP that causes TSL to sell it for $18... it's not worth half that if you ask me. BLECH.

Yep

And good one too, good thing because lord knows no Love fan is buying that record for the songs (or are they?).

I love when beat diggers are all like, "Love" and it's like, "you don't even know the half..."

I hated the fact that I had to pay the most for "Out Here" just because of the drums when it is probablly my least favorite.

• the first love record is the best one to my ears.

i know it's blasphemy to some, but i don't really like love very much.

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts
    the first love record is the best one to my ears.

What DO you like anymore? Jeebus.

The Slits

pain

wheatgrass

George Braith

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

The Slits

pain

wheatgrass

George Braith

Laps in the pool with Paycheck_W_Parentalchecks

The Slits

pain

wheatgrass

George Braith

Laps in the pool with Paycheck_W_Parentalchecks[/b]

You know, it's tempting to try to be funny on this site. After all, everyone's doing it.

But don't quit your day job, Nate.

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts

Top 10 of all time. Beautiful, haunting, happy, and sad all at once.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

The Slits

pain

wheatgrass

George Braith

Laps in the pool with Paycheck_W_Parentalchecks

You know, it's tempting to try to be funny on this site. After all, everyone's doing it.

C'mon now.

[i] Do you need me to pluck your back?

• Laps in the pool with Paycheck_W_Parentalchecks

whoa where the fuck did that come from? but yeah, my swimming game is thorough like henry david.

The Slits

pain

wheatgrass

George Braith

Laps in the pool with Paycheck_W_Parentalchecks[/b]

C'mon now.

Nah man, I tried to laugh. Even just a giggle. A guffaw, even. But it's just not very funny. Sorry. And W_Parentalchecks isn't me, that's reynaldo.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

just trying to better understand this.....when you say TOP TEN OF ALL TIME....do you mean like ... TOP TEN OF ALL TIME[/b] ...i have NO problem with your declaration...i just need clarity......

peace

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

REEL TO REAL has a pretty dope cover of "Be Thankful For What You Got" and some other kinda frenzied funk song like "Which Witch is Which" or somesuch. I wouldn't drop $18 on it, but for $7 or less, some Strutters might enjoy the listen. It's like Arthur's "soul" album. Plus you gotta give props to the "We're all David Carradine at the KUNG FU monastery in sunny California" back cover shot.

EdP - yes, that's what he means. I second that declaration too. Like I said, maybe the best.album.ever.period. IMO of course

Marco - OK, that makes more sense. Good to know, I've been avoiding it like the plague.

EdP - yes, that's what he means. I second that declaration too. Like I said, maybe the best.album.ever.period. IMO of course

delicious

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

just trying to better understand this.....when you say TOP TEN OF ALL TIME....do you mean like ... TOP TEN OF ALL TIME[/b]

I hope so

andmoreagain is the shit

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

REEL TO REAL has a pretty dope cover of "Be Thankful For What You Got" [/b]

THIS is why you should buy Reel To Reel.

• Anybody got this one?

• the first love record is the best one to my ears.

I'll second that.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "Love" in all their incarnations were the shit from start to finish. I hated Reel To Real when I first bought it, but now it has definitely moved up the Love Chart, getting more plays for me than "False Start" or even "da Capo." If you listen to R to R not looking for 60's Love redux, you realize it is a dope 70's rock album, with nice blends of soul and really hard rock. The William DeVaughan cover isn't the best thing going, buy you can't help but love that he takes a shot at it.

I saw Arthur Lee w/Baby Lemonade as "Love" in Cambridge, MA in 2003. I was so stoked for it, he had been in jail for what, 10 years until that point?
    It's a hard show to describe, for the highs and lows that took place in a relatively short period of time. Most memorable point was probably when, after making us all stand around the stage for almost an hour after the opener, Arthur Lee - in white jumpsuit and American flag cowboy hat - came through the front door of the club, with a mini-entourage. He walked through the crowd to the stage, shouting shit like "Get the fuck out of my way, I'm Arthur Fucking Lee HAHAHAHAHA!"

He got up on stage, walked to the mic and stood there staring out, as a buzz and smattering of applause, some whoops spread through the crowd.

"We love you Arthur!" yelled someone.

"...and I love cocaine!" was his response.

The music...his band was hot, the Forever Changes songs sounded so sick just played by a rock combo, the string parts played on guitars?? Yikes!! It all started out with so much energy, I was straight pogo-ing to "My Little Red Book," a retrohippiepunkpit threatening to break out...at some point Arthur seemed to start coming down from the drugs, and the energy dropped quick...he started wanting to play guitar more, making the band lay out so he could noodle. A nice version of "Message to Pretty" devolved into a 4-minute single-note harmonica solo. There was some incoherent ranting about 9/11 and terrorism...finally, he answered a shouted request for "Hey Joe" by going into not the classic Love uptempo take on the tune, but an embarassing apeing of the Hendrix version, solo guitar and really working the Hendrix vocal, like some bad karaoke nightmare. Strangely enough, just earlier that evening Arthur had been telling us he "taught Jimi how to play." I looked at my date at some point midway through the "Hey Joe" debacle, we gave the silent sign and left before it was over.

Thing is, I'm not trashing it, I had a great time for the first 40 minutes or so, rocking out to old Love classics, singing along, it was great. And hey, it wasn't the first time I saw a concert sputter out due to the fact cocaine only keeps you high for less than an hour. Kinda made me wish Arthur would've just gone back for another bump, came out and gave us "Hey Joe" the way he nailed it 40 years earlier...

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

better than Pet Sounds?