LOVE - Forever Changes - This sounds better everytime I listen...

13»

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    EdP - yes, that's what he means. I second that declaration too. Like I said, maybe the best.album.ever.period. IMO of course

better than Pet Sounds?

I am not the authority... but yeah, to me it's better. It's really one of the best records I've ever heard, in terms of rock records it's up there with the white album and odyssey/oracle to me.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    werd. then i definitely need to get it. Dave, pick me up one of those $8 copies

• Top 10 of all time. Beautiful, haunting, happy, and sad all at once.

just trying to better understand this.....when you say TOP TEN OF ALL TIME....do you mean like ... TOP TEN OF ALL TIME[/b] ...i have NO problem with your declaration...i just need clarity......

peace

That is what I mean...I feel about it pretty much the same as I do about Only Built for Cuban Linx , Revolver, Sweet Exorcist and urry other album that feels like a PART OF ME. Nahmeen? It's just...damn, I dunno, can't even put it into words. Shit is like Autumn/Manic Depression/A Vicodin High all in one for me...I'm kinda at a loss for words (which is raer).

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I think the fact that this LP has been a topic on soulstrut half a dozen times and practically no one's ever had anything bad to say about it speaks volumes. Top ten or not, this will always be considered a must have classic record.

• if anyone wants reel to reel i have sealed copies... $8 each... $2 book rate... PM if you want to get nasty with arthur circa 1977, the RSO years.

ap

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I think the fact that this LP has been a topic on soulstrut half a dozen times and practically no one's ever had anything bad to say about it speaks volumes. Top ten or not, this will always be considered a must have classic record.

seriously. And just look at all the people who are agreeing! When is the last time you've seen this?

Really though, this is not the most poetic way to put it, but it's one of those records that you are like "yeah, this is my favorite song ever!" (next track comes on) "Wait, no, THIS one is my fav EVER!" and so on for the length of the record...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Yup, better than "pet sounds". But then again, theres tons of albums better then pet sounds. (no MOJO)

Yup, better than "pet sounds". But then again, theres tons of albums better then pet sounds. (no MOJO)

Do you not like Pet Sounds?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I would put Forever Changes up there alongside Pet Sounds as timeless records.

A truly great album for me has to be one that I can play to absolute death and still enjoy it. I went to put a track on a mixtape I was doing for a friend who had never heard it and two days later was still trying to decide which track to put on there due to the outstanding selection.

I still think Pet Sounds shades it though that may be due to my preference to the more focused style of the album compared to Forever Changes.

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    I saw them live last night, it was vvvvgood.
    Echols is back in the band playing guitar behind his head, Lee seemed a little wasted but i think that it was more to do with his advancing years & hard life, but he looked good and kept the energy up all through the loooong set.

The dreaded words "This is a new one" were uttered..... But it was alright really, he said the new LP will be out later this year.

they also covered Instant Karma which was done really well.

best track of the night Signed DC

if they come to your town go & check them out.

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts
    I enjoy it more than petsounds.

saw them last year & whilst I was worried it would be messy they were amazing & he sounded good as ever, maybe he varies from show to show but I say if you get the chance don't miss it.

had the same mixtape selection problems the other day, couldn't choose a favourite.

listen to Arthur on Sean Rowleys show. some nice tunes as well:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/london_aod.shtml?london/shakesomeaction

"love is the opening door, love is what we came here for"

• EdP - yes, that's what he means. I second that declaration too. Like I said, maybe the best.album.ever.period. IMO of course

better than Pet Sounds?

Infinitely better...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

better than Pet Sounds?

as much as im a massive beach boys fan i have to put forever changes ahead of pet sounds.

the record is just WAY BEYOND almost everything of it's era.

Odyssey and Oracle would be up there too... Whiite Album... and if it hadda been done the hands down winner would be Smile.

CULIMNATED RUINS DOMINO

• Do you not like Pet Sounds?

Someone please explain without getting angry, what you like so much about this album. This was one of the first records I owned and I grew up on this record, but I don't see the fasination with it. Their harmonies are as sothing to my ears as the Grateful Dead's! I give Brian Wilson some serious credit for being a genius when it comes to recording and recording technics but that is it. I've tried over the years to make myself like the Beach Boys due to the fact of tons of people who's musical opinion I respect love this record. If anything I think "Friends" or "Wild Honey" blows this record out of the water. But IMO there can be no comparison to Forever Changes.
    We all gave it up for Forever Changes...now tell me what you like about Pet Sounds.

Do you not like Pet Sounds?

Someone please explain without getting angry, what you like so much about this album. This was one of the first records I owned and I grew up on this record, but I don't see the fasination with it. Their harmonies are as sothing to my ears as the Grateful Dead's! I give Brian Wilson some serious credit for being a genius when it comes to recording and recording technics but that is it. I've tried over the years to make myself like the Beach Boys due to the fact of tons of people who's musical opinion I respect love this record. If anything I think "Friends" or "Wild Honey" blows this record out of the water. But IMO there can be no comparison to Forever Changes.
    We all gave it up for Forever Changes...now tell me what you like about Pet Sounds.

It's weird. sometimes I'll be thinking that Pet Sounds is not that great. But, then I listen to it & it is. I do like the Smile stuff equally as well though.