Chevy Chase: Coolest Motherfucker on the Planet!

phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
OK so we already know that the Fletch films are fucking funny. And Caddyshack is fucking awesome. And hey, Spies like us is the bomb. Three Amigos? Awesome, despite the presence of Martin Short. Vacation also run shit. So basically it's more than a coincidence that these movies are all awesome, funny and star Chevy Chase. This alone makes him a cool dude. But what could make him even cooler? Well hey, how's about this little tidbit? "Chase did not enter medical school, and instead played drums for a time with the college band The Leather Canary, headed by school chums Walter Becker and Donald Fagen. At the time, Chase called the group "a bad jazz band," but Becker and Fagen went on to success after they changed their band's name to STEELY DAN. "[/b] Yes, Chevy Chase is a smooth as fuck yacht rocker who was in Steely Dan! Fucking king shit! Also this; "Chase is gifted with absolute pitch.." Woah! What a rad cunt. So basically not only is Chevy Chase about the funniest man on earth (tied with Bill Murray of course) but he could also sing better than your favourite singer if he so chose... And he chooses not to coz he's not an arrogant fuckwit. What a cool guy!

Comments

• Chevy might be able to play the drums, but he is about as funny as I am.

• Chevy Chase is among the least funny people ever to be considered funny by a wide range of people. He's the hacks hack...

• So basically not only is Chevy Chase about the funniest man on earth (tied with Bill Murray of course)

funny actor...sometimes, but not a funny person at ALL. also, when was the last time he was even in a funny movie? My guess is Fletch.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Bill Murray ownz Chevy, bigtime.

Fletch was cool but that's it.

Chevy was in the Chameleons, a psych band.

Hi.

• STEELY DAN. "[/b]

Woah! What a rad cunt.

• Bill Murray ownz Chevy, bigtime.

I caught an interview with Chevy sometime in the past year. I don't remember what show it was on but dude was not funny and was so incredibly bitter about his lack of success post-"Nothing But Trouble" (with 2Pac-era Digital Underground cameo). Plus, he said some very distasteful stuff about his own daughter. It was pretty bad.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    somehow howard stern merked chase on the air and changed my opinion of him forever=that of a smug self assured humorless asshole
    or was that stern?

imho chase was at his peak falling off a ladder miming geriatric gerald ford /doing the news on SNL

vacation and caddyshack were his apex professionally
    so what does that say?

and the winner is..........Bill Murray for being cool and diverse and a big tipper
    an ex gf got a Benjamin from him at the oyster bar waiting on his table

• Funny thing, parts of "Spies like us" was filmed in Norway, in fact the same spot as with the snow scenes from Empire strikes back, it's a lovely place called Finse. Well back to the story, a friend of my father was in the crew and told me it was Dan Akroyd who was cool and open, he even hanged out for beers after filming, Chase just went back to his hotel room.

• I always tell this anecdote re: how funny Chevy is...

in the early years of SNL, when he blew up, he was being a diva on some skit. Fed up with this, Bill Murray walked up to him, got about 2 inches from his face and just said:

"MEDIUM. TALENT."

And walked away.

Pretty much sums it up.

• I think Chevy Chase is hilarious... I've never understood how anyone could think otherwise. Oh well, to each his own.

• Someone please name a watchable Chevy Chase film that has been released since he did "Funny Farm" which is only watchable in that "I used to watch movies like this on HBO as a teen in the late Eighties" way.

Bill Murray does the Dudley Death Drop on Chevy Chase. By himself.

That being said, who likes the Chameleon Church album?

Oh, and "Spies Like Us" is the shit though. And "Fletch".

"Is that a 357?" "357, 358. Whatever it takes." I may have butchered that quote.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Chevy Chase is among the least funny people ever to be considered funny by a wide range of people. He's the hacks hack...

this is pretty right on though. I think Chevy's unfunny funny came off well in the first season of SNL, but to even say that he "fell off" after that would be giving him a bit too much credit.

• in the early years of SNL, when he blew up, he was being a diva on some skit. Fed up with this, Bill Murray walked up to him, got about 2 inches from his face and just said:

"MEDIUM. TALENT."

And walked away.

SPOT ON

• Find an old episode of The Chevy Chase Show and that should put a quick end to this silly argument.

There is not even a comparasin with Bill Murray here not even the same fucking ballpark.

And you guys who are all about Spies like us and shit - have you seen these movies since you were like 8 years old? I mean, I though they were funny back then too, but if these movies have withstood the test of time for you, then you really need to consider watching better movies.

• There is not even a comparasin with Bill Murray here not even the same fucking ballpark.

And you guys who are all about Spies like us and shit - have you seen these movies since you were like 8 years old? I mean, I though they were funny back then too, but if these movies have withstood the test of time for you, then you really need to consider watching better movies.

• in the early years of SNL, when he blew up, he was being a diva on some skit. Fed up with this, Bill Murray walked up to him, got about 2 inches from his face and just said:

"MEDIUM. TALENT."

And walked away.

SPOT ON

cosign....

Bill Murray owns Chevy and that whole OG cast including Belushi. Another medium talent who gained more notoriety for his self destructive persona than for actually being funny.

Chase also came off horribly during that Howard Stern episode and let us not forget his crucial failure as a late night show host. That lasted what, about 10 episodes? Not even? C'mon dude....

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    After my daughter made me sit down and watch an hour-long Dane Cook special, she asked me what I thought....the only positive thing I could think of was that he was funnier than Chevy Chase but not quite as funny as Louie Anderson.

• Funny thing, parts of "Spies like us" was filmed in Norway, in fact the same spot as with the snow scenes from Empire strikes back, it's a lovely place called Finse. Well back to the story, a friend of my father was in the crew and told me it was Dan Akroyd who was cool and open, he even hanged out for beers after filming, Chase just went back to his hotel room.

plus Dan pitched in on the We Are the World joint. where were you Chevy?

• Find an old episode of The Chevy Chase Show and that should put a quick end to this silly argument.

• Three Amigos? Awesome, despite the presence of Martin Short.

Uhhhh, WHAT?!

Martin Short is light years funnier than Chase could ever be.

Are you feeling ok, dude?

• Three Amigos? Awesome, despite the presence of Martin Short.

Uhhhh, WHAT?!

Martin Short is light years funnier than Chase could ever be.

Are you feeling ok, dude?

BIG

• There is not even a comparasin with Bill Murray here not even the same fucking ballpark.

Spies Like Us was never the really in my opinion.

Fletch, Vacation and Caddy Shack, on the other hand, have definitely withstood the test of time. I have watched all of them recently. Sure, they all had great supporting actors and funny scripts. But Chevy did his part as well.

One of my favorite scenes from Caddy Shack:

Lacey: Who does your decorating, Benihana?
    Ty: Most of that stuff is from Vietnam.
    Lacey: Were you in the war?
    Ty: [indicating his leg] No...homo.

How can you possibly discuss 3 Amigos without mention of THE MOTHERFUCKING STARRR!?!?!

I'm shocked too, Mr. Steve.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    How can you possibly discuss 3 Amigos without mention of THE MOTHERFUCKING STARRR!?!?!

I'm shocked too, Mr. Steve.

Seriously. Of the 3 leads in Three Amigos Chevy chase is the least funny.

Oh and someone mentioned Dane Cook who is the worst over hyped person in the world of comedy.

His 15 minutes should of been up before the 60 second mark.

• Oh and someone mentioned Dane Cook who is the worst over hyped person in the world of comedy.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Why all this Chevy-bashing?

Yes he has done his share of coke-induced shite movies and has not done a damn thing notable since 1990, but I got to give the man credit for a few comedy classics in my book Fletch, Vacation , and the best of all Christmas Vacation which my wife and I have worked into the Smith Family Christmas tradition every year.

• chevy showed his true talent
    on the great late night talk show he hosted on fox

for about a minute

up staged by a fish tank i tellz ya

bill murray could have made those unfunny chase flix watchable
    belushi's worse was better than most of chases'
    vacation was the only movie he carried
    and that was straight up lampoon writing
    dude peaked on nat lamp radio & first season of snl
    i didn't like fletch as much as some of ya'll

• Oh and someone mentioned Dane Cook who is the worst over hyped person in the world of comedy.

Seriously man, I thought Dane was funny on his first Comedy Central special. Then he kinda disappeared for a minute and made a potent comeback with his cd's and subsequent SNL host spot. It was during the SNL episode that I realized he's really not that funny. The awful unfunny movies and HBO reality show stint just erased any shadow of a doubt I had concerning his mediocrity.

He's just mildly amusing at this point. So overrated.

• Why all this Chevy-bashing?

Yes he has done his share of coke-induced shite movies and has not done a damn thing notable since 1990, but I got to give the man credit for a few comedy classics in my book Fletch, Vacation , and the best of all Christmas Vacation which my wife and I have worked into the Smith Family Christmas tradition every year.

I agree with you on the X-Mas Vacation flick. Also a holiday staple w/ my family. However, I don't think Chase is solely responsible for its greatness. Randy Quaid (IMO) steals the show in all those flicks. Beverly D also plays a great role. The kids in this one are pretty much pointless but the relatives, the yuppie neighbors feat. Julia Louis Dreyfus and the asshole cheapskate boss are all key factors in this movie's enduring charm.