Banksy goes to Disneyland

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

You're right.. I also don't see why people feel the need to hate on Pat Robertson, or Bill O'Reilly. Because they have a stance on political and social things, and that's important to people and stuff.

Man, what was I thinking dissing Banksy? He's Definitely the Next Warhol.

WOW.

Yeah dude i'm totally saying that.

Step up your comprehension, Osh Kosh Big-Gosh

P*t,

wh yis it so hard to accept that Spidey gots a differing opinion on Bansky's art. He just doesn't dig it. don't mean nothing except that he see's it differently than you.

I'm glad dudes able to say what he thinks and doesnt feel compelled to fall in line.

To each their own

• You're right.. I also don't see why people feel the need to hate on Pat Robertson, or Bill O'Reilly. Because they have a stance on political and social things, and that's important to people and stuff.

Man, what was I thinking dissing Banksy? He's Definitely the Next Warhol.

WOW.

Yeah dude i'm totally saying that.

Step up your comprehension, Osh Kosh Big-Gosh

P*t,

wh yis it so hard to accept that Spidey gots a differing opinion on Bansky's art. He just doesn't dig it. don't mean nothing except that he see's it differently than you.

I'm glad dudes able to say what he thinks and doesnt feel compelled to fall in line.

To each their own

Because somehow he thinks i'm Pro-Pat Robertson (????!?!?!). And I can't see how dude can be some damn obtuse with what Bansky is doing.

Furthermore, this isn't a matter of "falling in line with the 'big dudes' of Soulstrut". I mean, seeing him not falling in line thus being a trailblazer is rather ironic in this situation.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Really, I just can't see how anyone would want to hate on Pat Robertson when he's taking a political and social stand on things.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts

• It's called stunt-art. He's an artist just like a graffist, producer, emcee etc. He's just a new breed that society hasn't fully grasped yet. Get ya mind right.http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/disk.gif
    disk

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I don't think this dude is all that.

While I appreciate how he gets past certain barriers, what he ends up putting there is usually some heavy-handed and obvious type shit like a freaking prisoner in Disneyland? C'mon, it's so loaded I feel like he's hitting me over the head.

And Paris Hilton? Can you find an easier target? What he actually did to the CD was "eh". His song titles were very uninspired, the art was whatever- so he got them in the store- awesome. His talent lies in the stunt itself, the "art" is gimmicky to me.

I already know what's wrong with our country and so do you guys, I don't need an enraged performance artist to spell it out for me. It's almost like he's insulting our intelligence.

I would prefer if he got a little deeper.

Yes, iPods are frivolous and people are starving. Tell me something I don't know.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

While I appreciate how he gets past certain barriers, what he ends up putting there is usually some heavy-handed and obvious type shit like a freaking prisoner in Disneyland? C'mon, it's so loaded I feel like he's hitting me over the head.

And Paris Hilton? Can you find an easier target? What he actually did to the CD was "eh". His song titles were very uninspired, the art was whatever- so he got them in the store- awesome. His talent lies in the stunt itself, the "art" is gimmicky to me.

I already know what's wrong with our country and so do you guys, I don't need an enraged performance artist to spell it out for me. It's almost like he's insulting our intelligence.

Yes, iPods are frivolous and people are starving. Tell me something I don't know.

be prepared for a Kingmoist toungue lashing

be prepared for a Kingmoist toungue lashing

Ready and waiting.

• I don't think this dude is all that.

A$

Well I think it's few things:

1). Yeah there are people that aware of this world, but most of "us" aren't saying or doing shit. We're sitting back and just talking about it.

2). I don't see it as heavy handed, I see it comunicating an idea to a majority of people that can't read between the lines or have theireyes open. Think LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR. You know how dumb people can be.

3). I don't think people are giving dude enough credit. See, Bansky could just put all these little stencils around the world and whatnot with his name and that's it, but instead he uses his "stunt" as a platform for something. Not only does he have balls for where he puts his art, he has balls for what the art is about.

TONGUE LASHING OVER

• Look for vinyl Banksy political figures to be populating your Giant Robot stores in the near future.

Yes Plaese

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Yes, iPods are frivolous and people are starving.

Not saying you don't have a point, but "not by Banksy"

• Look for vinyl Banksy political figures to be populating your Giant Robot stores in the near future.

for what it's worth, he's already turned down a very generous sum of money that NIKE offered him for an ad campaign. i don't think he's going to accept an even smaller sum from some toy/figurine company. i can't see him selling out like that... however, if he does continue to grow in polularity, some company may just go ahead and jack his artwork and market it... it's not like you can copyright graffiti.

Yes, iPods are frivolous and people are starving.

Not saying you don't have a point, but "not by Banksy"

ahh, my bad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5344676.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/5344770.stm

• This one is just a couple of minutes from my house. The area has graffiti and spray shit all over the place which gets endlessly painted over but in three years or so no-one has ever defaced this one.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    i hate when people call him , fairey, etc etc graf writers cuz they use spray paint... takes more than using spray paint to be a graf artist...

"if you want an audience, start a fight" banksy

One of Fairey's latest paper poster thingies in the "Epicenter of Hip" has been defaced with "Photoshop + Kinkos &ne Art." I'm inclined to agree.

A$

1). Yeah there are people that aware of this world, but most of "us" aren't saying or doing shit. We're sitting back and just talking about it.

2). I don't see it as heavy handed, I see it comunicating an idea to a majority of people that can't read between the lines or have theireyes open. Think LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR. You know how dumb people can be.

3). I don't think people are giving dude enough credit. See, Bansky could just put all these little stencils around the world and whatnot with his name and that's it, but instead he uses his "stunt" as a platform for something. Not only does he have balls for where he puts his art, he has balls for what the art is about.

TONGUE LASHING OVER

The problem is he doesn't speak to the lowest common denominator that you feel he does. He speaks to the liberal educated minority who are fascinated with his attempts at politcal deviance. Attempts like the Disney stunt while being focused at a popular theme park will either go over the heads of or enrage that common denominator. And yes I may not be giving the common denominator much credit, but as a test go out and talk to the lowest common denominator and see what influence Banksy has actually had in effecting change. And let me say again I am not against, but actually support what he has to say, I just feel he is or has become more hype than artist/social commentator.

A$

TONGUE LASHING OVER

The problem is he doesn't speak to the lowest common denominator that you feel he does. He speaks to the liberal educated minority who are fascinated with his attempts at politcal deviance. Attempts like the Disney stunt while being focused at a popular theme park will either go over the heads of or enrage that common denominator. And yes I may not be giving the common denominator much credit, but as a test go out and talk to the lowest common denominator and see what influence Banksy has actually had in effecting change. And let me say again I am not against, but actually support what he has to say, I just feel he is or has become more hype than artist/social commentator.

Nah, I think that's wrong way around. He's become feted by the chattering classes but I don't think he envisages or seeks any particular audience. It's street art and is on view to anyone and everyone. He puts his art and ideas out there and all sorts of people react to them in all sorts of ways. To say his art has failed to change the world is a fundamentally warped view of the purpose of art IMO.

• I am sure there are a ton of rap groups that set out to change the world from the bottom up, and do not "envisage or seek any particular audience" but end up rapping to upper middle class college stoners.

A$

TONGUE LASHING OVER

Nah, I think that's wrong way around. He's become feted by the chattering classes but I don't think he envisages or seeks any particular audience. It's street art and is on view to anyone and everyone. He puts his art and ideas out there and all sorts of people react to them in all sorts of ways. To say his art has failed to change the world is a fundamentally warped view of the purpose of art IMO.

I don't disagree that his purpose for doing what he does is in the right place. I couldn't know that without actually having a conversation with him. However I don't think his message is having the effect that he and others would like think that street art does have. There are a certain number of people that gain from it that recognize it for what it is, but unfortunately the masses look at it as graffiti and for the most part pass it and move on with their daily lives... if outrageous enough he might arouse a snicker or some pointing, but as far as having the social impact he is going for... I don't see it in this day and age.

• I am sure there are a ton of rap groups that set out to change the world from the bottom up, and do not "envisage or seek any particular audience" but end up rapping to upper middle class college stoners.

There wheren't too many stoners at that Stanford show. Give yourself som credit.

BANSKY > Soulstrut

• I see what you're saying. The Banksy 'Anywhere' pic I posted is in a tough area surrounded by bad estates - my point was that everything gets trashed around there, especially graf stuff, but never that picture. I think the locals like it and are kind of proud of it, and you wouldn't take them for art lovers if you met them.

There wheren't too many stoners at that Stanford show. Give yourself som credit.

BANSKY > Soulstrut

You sound ass-hurt.

I wasn't trying to diss your lil mans and them. Just adding some perspective.

BANSKY > Soulstrut

You sound ass-hurt.

I wasn't trying to diss your lil mans and them. Just adding some perspective.

Can we get some background on the term "mans and them"? Am I

Is it anything like The_Mack's "Me and my lil' ni%%a"?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I am sure there are a ton of rap groups that set out to change the world from the bottom up, and do not "envisage or seek any particular audience" but end up rapping to upper middle class college stoners.

I gotta agree with you on that, and not just in rap either. For the most part, I don't think it has to do with artistic integrity either, it's just the end product of things.

• Guzzo you need to check this DVD:

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'll look into it.

whats on it? Is it an overview of his career? interviews?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm surprised none of the LA strutters are talking about the show this last weekend.

Was I the only one who went?

I should be working on my lecture notes, but fuck it, I don't feel like summarizing the history of blackface minstrelsy right this moment (though I'll have to do it before 6:30pm).

1) It's one thing dressing in a hipster outfit when you're in a crowd of folks not wearing a plaid hat, slightly crooked to the side, some ironic/clever graphic print t-shirt, faded jeans and SB kicks. When you're in a throng of hundreds of people dressed the same way, you realize just how absurd the costume is. I like when people know how to put an outfit together but the whole point is not looking like you tried too hard to do it and seriously, the crowd outside the show was like Williamsburg distilled down to a single block. It was high comedy.

2) As for the show...

Here's the thing: I like much of what Banksy is trying to do on an idea level. Whether he makes great art or not is up for debate but if you've ever seen what he did on the Israeli/Palesetinian border wall, it's rather mindblowing on several levels.

At the same time, as my wife - who, as an art critic, likes a lot of so-called "outsider art" - looked at one of the walls at the show that held different stencils and remarked, "these are just a bunch of one-line jokes" and she was absolutely right. This is not meant to be an indictment but stuff like:

...are indeed one-line jokes. You get it, you go "ha", life moves on. The images might be "arresting" but there's not always a lingering sense of poignancy.

This is all in the eye of the beholder of course since while I may not find a pink bow on an Apache attack helicopter all that clever, I think this stencil is pretty amazing:

It's also a one-liner but one, to me at least, feels more "substantial."

Like I said, eye of the beholder. But more often than not, when you're making protest art that relies on simple, ironic juxtaapostions of expectation with shock, you risk coming off seeming rather thin and didactic.

Examples:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ballookey/244117802/in/set-72157594285715827/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ballookey/244120516/in/set-72157594285715827/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/45852872@N00/247696662/

3) What annoyed me about the show though was the whole "elephant in the room," i.e. this:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/superfamous/247682928/

By the time we got there, the paint had faded off but it's just not cool (to the elephant) to spray paint an elephant. Predictably, he caught flak from local animal rights activists and I can't blame 'em. I wouldn't want to be in a warm, overpacked room, spraypainted, with thousands of people a day coming in to take flash pictures of me. It's not like it's that different from being in a circus (or the zoo, minus the paint) but either way, it felt a bit exploitationist.

But my annoyance was with the postcard that accompanied the elephant. It read:

There???s an elephant in the room
    There???s a problem we never talk about.

The fact is that life isn???t getting any fairer.

1.7 billion people have no access to clean drinking water.
    20 billion people live below the poverty line
    Every day hundreds of people are made to physically sick by morons at art shows telling them how bad the world is but never actually doing something about it.

Anybody want a free glass of wine?

Let's just overlook the typo that there aren't 20 billion on the planet. Let's look at this idea that "hundreds of people are made to physically sick by morons at art shows telling them how bad the world is but never actually doing something about it." After all, I failed to see how what Banksy was doing was anything different except that there was no free wine (more on this in a moment).

I mean, I don't mind if Banksy is trying to raise public awareness about suffering and inequality. That is, I think, one of the things his art consistently tries to do. But dude, step off the high horse or pachyderm, or whatever. What exactly is Banksy doing to "do something about it" besides getting a bunch of hipster wanks (and other curious looky-loos) to briefly think about world oppression by spray painting an elephant. Talk about a one-line joke. I felt like there should also have been a spray-painted drummer in there who could do rim shots every so often just to accent the overly obvious point.

My friend pointed out that self-indulgency is rife in art and it's not like Banksy is anywhere close to being the most vulgar but nonetheless, I just thought it was a stupid point to make - not the content, but the form.

4) Here's the kicker:

Outside, was this guy.

Basically making cash off people waiting in line to get into the show (the wait could be 30 minutes or more depending on time of day and shit was hot in LA this weekend). My thought was simply: banksy could have charged people a buck to get in (which people would have paid) and then donated that shit to someone "actually doing something". Or at least, put out a donation kitty. Instead, he basically mocked his audience (which is fine except...) without actually suggesting how he's doing anything different than naming a problem (and doing so in an over-the-top, rather ridiculous way) but not offering any routes to a solution.

Anyone else go to the show? Your thoughts?

By the way, just so I don't come off like a straight up hater, here's some Banksy stuff from the show I personally liked:

And there was a whole wall of stuff like this which I thought was very visually clever and just plain fun to look at.

• O:

No offense, but I knew you would shit on this.