Banksy goes to Disneyland

dayday 9,612 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Artist Banksy targets Disneyland[/b]A life-size replica of a Guantanamo Bay detainee has been placed in Disneyland by "guerrilla artist" Banksy.The hooded figure was placed inside the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad ride at the California theme park last weekend.It is understood to have remained in place for 90 minutes before the ride was closed down and the figure removed.A spokeswoman for Banksy said the stunt was intended to highlight the plight of terror suspects at the controversial detention centre in Cuba.Banksy is notorious for his secretive and subversive stunts - such as sneaking doctored versions of classic paintings into major art galleries.In 2005, he embarrassed the British Museum by planting a hoax cave painting of a man pushing a supermarket trolley, which he said went unnoticed for three days.Last week, he smuggled 500 "alternative" versions of Paris Hilton's album into record shops around the UK.Topless fake coverThe artist replaced Hilton's songs with his own remixes, which were given titles such as Why am I Famous?, What Have I Done? and What Am I For?He also changed the artwork to show the US socialite topless and with a dog's head.The Bristolian is most famous for his graffiti artworks, which are often created in prominent public places.Last year, he produced nine stencil sprays on the Palestinian side of the West Bank barrier.The satirical images showed images of life on the other side of the barrier.One depicted a hole in the wall with an idyllic beach, while another showed a mountain landscape.Earlier this summer, a piece of Banksy's graffiti art on a Bristol building was allowed to remain in place by the city council after the public voiced overwhelming support.The stencilled image, which showed a naked man hanging onto a window ledge, won a 97% approval rating from residents on an internet discussion forum.Banksy is due to hold what is billed as a "three day vandalised warehouse extravaganza" in Los Angeles this weekend.Story from BBC NEWS:http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/entertainment/5335400.stmPublished: 2006/09/11 15:53:30 GMT?? BBC MMVI

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Whoa... that's his best yet by FAR. Fucking wow this dude is good.

• i love what this guy's doing... i wonder who's next.... k-fed??

• Artist of the century so far.

• big ups to banksy!!!

my question, how in hell do you smuggle a life size statue into ratworld in the first place? inflatable?

then , how the f*%$# do you get it behind the ride bariers? that place is held down more thann fort knox!!!

inside job?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I just gave an impromptu pitch to an Executive producer about doing a shotr docu-show on Bansky's pop-culture attacks. If anyone here is down to try to make something like this happen (and has some idea of how) PM me

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I just gave an impromptu pitch to an Executive producer about doing a shotr docu-show on Bansky's pop-culture attacks. If anyone here is down to try to make something like this happen (and has some idea of how) PM me

This sounds like a bad joke.
    Do you inderstand anything of what this guy stands for? I know people who've managed to interview Mr Banksy before, and he is, as you'd expect, very media savy. If you are at all serious about doing this you'd better come prepared, or you may just end up being his latest joke.

• I just gave an impromptu pitch to an Executive producer about doing a shotr docu-show on Bansky's pop-culture attacks. If anyone here is down to try to make something like this happen (and has some idea of how) PM me

Do you inderstand anything of what this guy stands for? I know people who've managed to interview Mr Banksy before, and he is, as you'd expect, very media savy. If you are at all serious about doing this you'd better come prepared, or you may just end up being his latest joke.

Bansky

VS.

• This dude is amazing. It's good to see somebody ruffling the feathers and rattling cages.

Are there are any other artists like Bansky? Woudn't mind checking them out as well.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I do this for a living, so yes I know how to do my job. As far as documenting his actions and his message I don't see how you would think this to be a joke.

I've already put a call into some people at A&E and VH1 about this. but thank you for your words of encouragement

• This stunt is not bad. Its kinda like setting up a Gazelle installation in a Lion's den, tho.

And he did this just a day before the aniversery of 9/11? pffft.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

Now I dont want to sound like someone jealous or nothing, that's not my style, props to Banksy for his recent attention. But anyone hear of some artist named Shokesy[/b], who's really the foundation of Banksy? Wikipedia that sheit, cause those pics are doctored, at least they are not the original pics. What happened was Shokesy brought a life-sized, soulstrut icon if you will, and placed him behind the fence, and then dressed up as the Guantanamo Bay detainee "dummy" as security was tight. He figured he'd dress up as a prop to get out scott free. Disney officials removed the "strut icon" AND THEN the pic was taken.

The

image follows....

You try smuggling in some life-sized shit with a tie like that

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts

hhhhhmmmmmmmmmm?

• This dude is amazing. It's good to see somebody ruffling the feathers and rattling cages.

Are there are any other artists like Bansky? Woudn't mind checking them out as well.

Check out the Wooster Collective website. Half the pictures for my screensaver came from there. It's a really superb website.

• I just gave an impromptu pitch to an Executive producer about doing a shotr docu-show on Bansky's pop-culture attacks. If anyone here is down to try to make something like this happen (and has some idea of how) PM me

I think this is a great idea. Shepard Fairey would probably be a good man to talk to.

• Love it.

- J

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Blighty: thanks for posting the clips, i love the mans work.

Guzzo: good luck, you got your work cut out for you.

• This is something he did on a 'sexual health clinic' in Bristol. The council had a vote on their website to see if people wanted it to stay and the people said yes.

More recent stuff

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Blighty: keep em coming man, i really fucking dig Banksys work.

I do this for a living, so yes I know how to do my job. As far as documenting his actions and his message I don't see how you would think this to be a joke.

I've already put a call into some people at A&E and VH1 about this. but thank you for your words of encouragement

Banksy on VH1 smells as bad as "Sony Picture Classics Presents: AMERICAN HARDCORE (featuring "Pay to C*m" by the Bad Brains)."

That is...

It is critical that "underground" culture not become a dollhouse version of the mainstream. If anything, it shows how unnecessary much of the mundane is, and how it is actually encumbering us to even consider it all. MOke's point, I think, is against the intrusion of "Executive Producers."

Not everything needs to be on TV, dude.

But you could have said no
    If you'd wanted to

• I think this is a great idea. Shepard Fairey would probably be a good man to talk to.

UK piece complete with Diplo soundtrack.

just recently read this about sheperd fairy. dudes been falling off for minute.

http://www.brghtnghts.com/blog/?page_id=33

Banksy is doing some amazing stuff. Though Dudes going to get martyrd if he keeps pulling big shit like this once a week. while I heartily endorse what dude is doing Hes going to need alot more than a spokeswoman if he wants to keep the fame train rolling.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Guzzo, I wasn???t trying to deride you. It was more the way you worded your request. It sounded like you were just jumping on the hype wagon, and not really considering what you were doing. Do you really belive that Banksy belongs VH1?
    Banksy considers himself a serious political activist. And he holds some serious left wing beliefs. Some of which, even you, may find offence with.
    He may paint a pretty picture, but as, I???m sure you are aware, that???s just a fa??ade. And you better believe that if you did manage to get him to give you an interview, he will come with a definite agenda. And it won???t be ???lets make a cool documentary about this hipster graf artist.???

Like Bambouche said, not everything needs to be (or belongs) on t.v.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Check out the Wooster Collective website. Half the pictures for my screensaver came from there. It's a really superb website.

Definately an essential bookmark. Some really beautiful stuff on there, and it was realy nice reading the reason behind, why they'ed started up their website. I'd just assumed it was another graf crew type site.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

couldnt agree more

shepard fairey is a toy he aint no writer never was... he got his whole shit stamped in LA by MEARONE was classic, dude got wrecked...

Haha, no shit? When did this happen? Mear's a wiry fucker but I'm sure he can scrap. He and Toonz each did a side of my man's car on the strength for like, some tacos and 40's or some shit years ago. Wish I still had pics. If I find any I'll post em up.
    So what happened?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Guzzo, I wasn???t trying to deride you. It was more the way you worded your request. It sounded like you were just jumping on the hype wagon, and not really considering what you were doing. Do you really belive that Banksy belongs VH1?
    Banksy considers himself a serious political activist. And he holds some serious left wing beliefs. Some of which, even you, may find offence with.
    He may paint a pretty picture, but as, I???m sure you are aware, that???s just a fa??ade. And you better believe that if you did manage to get him to give you an interview, he will come with a definite agenda. And it won???t be ???lets make a cool documentary about this hipster graf artist.???

no worries man.

The production world is a big game a lot of the time and setting up a pitch meeting with people at VH1 and A&E is only a small part of it, with meetings like that you usually will be rejected for an idea or have your idea suggested towards somewhere more "fitting" for it.

If the project can be made into a reality I think it would be a great move. documenting a mans passion is something that I think would be of interest to more than just me and other strutters on the board. I just hope something can come of it, however I'm not holding my breath.

Those that want to say "I knew about him when he was underground" will most likely be able to rest easy

• dayday 9,612 Posts

no worries man.

The production world is a big game a lot of the time and setting up a pitch meeting with people at VH1 and A&E is only a small part of it, with meetings like that you usually will be rejected for an idea or have your idea suggested towards somewhere more "fitting" for it.

If the project can be made into a reality I think it would be a great move. documenting a mans passion is something that I think would be of interest to more than just me and other strutters on the board. I just hope something can come of it, however I'm not holding my breath.

Those that want to say "I knew about him when he was underground" will most likely be able to rest easy

Adam, no disrespect, but I think what everyone is getting at is, the whole thought of Viacom doing a special on Banksy goes against everything he's about.
    I think the thought of it is a good idea, but even if you get the green light I highly doubt he'd go for it. Then again, who knows. I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow used it to his advantage.

• Blighty: keep em coming man, i really fucking dig Banksys work.

All the other recent pictures I have are on his website or have been posted here already. I like this one though. Not by Banksy but very much in his spirit.

• my question, how in hell do you smuggle a life size statue into ratworld in the first place? inflatable?

then , how the f*%$# do you get it behind the ride bariers? that place is held down more thann fort knox!!!

I want to know how did this go unnoticed for 90 minutes.
    The article posted in this thread stated that he swapped out a painting and no one realized it for 3 days.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

no worries man.

Adam, no disrespect, but I think what everyone is getting at is, the whole thought of Viacom doing a special on Banksy goes against everything he's about.
    I think the thought of it is a good idea, but even if you get the green light I highly doubt he'd go for it. Then again, who knows. I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow used it to his advantage.

totally understood and I know that going through some major corporate monstrosity is not the way this would be approached in a perfect world. however I am a big fan of documenting events and figures like this and if I can get people on board to allow me and whoever else plays a part in this to document it the way we want (free of mainstream shiny lights and shit) than I'd be happy. I've got other avenues to go. the only reason I even brought up those 2 networks is cause it was what I was able to get off the bat. This does not mean thatr Viacom, time-Warner, or any of these other major players are the only viable option. just tried to express how serious I'd be about making such a project.

Things like this should be documented. How many of you enjoyed Style Wars or The Decline of Western Civilization? This is not an attempt to cash in on Bansky but rather leave something for others to understand his work and, down the road, let younger generations know about.